PDA

View Full Version : The First Gate: Rock & Roll

Moranica
2015-05-29, 04:21 PM
The First Gate: Rock & Roll

You've just stepped through your first portal. A simple step, but one that can not be taken back. You, and your friends have trained and prepared your entire lives for the coming days, months, perhaps even years. This year's Gate runners are an interesting group, clearly the elders are getting desperate after having heard nothing back from the previous four groups.

The task ahead is simple... Find the next Gate and go through it, until you find the Final Gate which you must enter as well. Only then will you find the answers you and your people are looking for. Only then will you be able to end the cycle of suffering and hardship.

http://s15.postimg.org/otgdrz9e3/mountains_valley_cliffs_the_lord_of_the_rings_fa.j pg

The group finds itself on a mountainside, with a long, narrow valley in front of them. Some puffs of smoke seem to be rising from the bottom of the valley, several miles away. The next Gate is supposed to be on the other side of the valley, but there appears to be no sign of it. The weather seems nice today, and is similar to what you where used to where you came from.

While looking more closely around you, you notice several paths. Some climb up to the top of the cliffs on either side, while another descends down towards the valley.

Recruitment thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?413290-GM-Found-3-5-Generic-Dungeon-Crawl)
OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?417986-Gate-runners-OOC&p=19322302#post19322302)
IC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?417994-The-First-Gate-Rock-amp-Roll&p=19322573#post19322573)

Rizban
2015-05-29, 09:31 PM
A crude mechanical construct vaguely resembling a humanoid stands beside the exit to the gate staring blankly out over the valley, a blank look on its smooth face, the only features consisting of two small, clear glass-like orbs for eyes and a wide, irregular crevasse splitting the lower half of its head in a mockery of a mouth. The rest of its body seems only mostly completed, as if the artist gave up before finishing his work, abandoning it for more interesting creations. What 'completed' details he seems to have glow with a faint, sickly blue-purple light, a color you thought existed only in the edges of nightmares in the time just before waking.

ReceptacleLocationEssentiaComposite PlatingSoul-SoulbladeHands1Soulforged BodyFeat1Sapphire SmiteFeat1

dextercorvia
2015-05-29, 10:56 PM
Lift slips through the gate after the construct. He pulls his bow from its compartment in his quiver, and scans the surroundings for any immediate threat. He shades his young but weathered face with a hand covered in tiny scars. His clothes are well worn, but with some life left in them, however all of his equipment appears pristine. The man takes up a small handful of dirt and grass. He smells it, and watches as it slips through his fingers, observing the character of this land.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen:[roll1]

LuckyStrike
2015-05-30, 10:24 AM
A little while later a short young Armand steps out and smells the air.
He looks enthusiastic and alive, although a bit skittish as always. Patches of hair stick out here and there and he looks a bit like a crossing between a walking rodent and an armadillo. He's got some gear and seems dressed for business if it weren't for the relevation upon closer inspection that it's all recycled goods acting as something else. The banjo strings on the old cross that still has the letters RIP on it, refurbished as a crossbow, are contending with the cooking pan used as helmet. Everything about the cheerful fellow is rinkydink at best. He exhales slowly.
'Good stuff! Not like them stinking city streets.'
He says as he looks around.

[Spot:
[roll0]
Listen:
[roll1]

Jeriah
2015-06-01, 09:33 PM
"...ait don't! I can't."

The woman apparently thrust through the gate backwards glances around in panic and then begins banging her tiny fists against the deactivated gate.

"Please! Let me back through! I can't do this!"

She drops to her knees in despair and begins to weep silently, her hands covering her face. Her golden blonde hair is tied up in a bun on the back of her head, revealing the pale skin of her neck and very slightly pointed ears. A greenish-brown tunic covers her body, stopping just above her knees. Her legs and feet are bare beneath the tunic. As to gear and supplies, it seems that she possesses only the large, crude wooden shield seemingly thrown through the gate with her.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/98/66/2e/98662e5e10fadd751ce9e9a05d94c501.jpg

Rizban
2015-06-02, 08:05 PM
The construct remains unmoved by the newcomers, oblivious in his staring into the valley.

dextercorvia
2015-06-02, 08:30 PM
"So, I suppose we're going to be traveling together for awhile. Call me Lift." The man observes the other two that came through right after him, and the Warforged that preceded him. Hmm. They each have their own reason, for being here, I'm sure. I can only hope they are dependable.

LuckyStrike
2015-06-03, 02:20 PM
'Hey Lift, I'm Rot.' Rot says happily. A little concerned he looks at the woman. 'You alright miss? I guess we should get moving. We might reach it before nightfall if we're lucky.'

Jeriah
2015-06-03, 03:11 PM
The girl sniffles and grabs the shield, holding it in front of herself protectively, wide eyed with fear.

"W-Who a-a-are y-yo-ou?"

LuckyStrike
2015-06-03, 11:12 PM
Looking puzzled at her he snaps. 'Name's Rot! That's Lift. Pay attention lady! I don't plan on waiting here by this statue for much longer. You coming?' Rot says as he scuttles away down towards the valley.

dextercorvia
2015-06-04, 10:39 AM
"I think what my brusque friend is saying, miss, is that while we all have different reasons for being here, we are here for the same reason. There's quite a bit ahead of us to be afraid of, but it won't be too bad if we face it together with our heads up." His stomach growls, interupting Lift before he can offer any more cheery platitudes. "We should be off though. I'd like to catch a bit of dinner along the way," He raises his bow slightly to indicate his meaning, and his eyes go to the treeline below, looking for a plump bird.

Moranica
2015-06-04, 01:54 PM
Both below and above the cliffs several small groves of trees can be seen. And it is likely that game is found here.

At the moment however, you are standing about halfway down the cliff, on a small outcropping with several paths leading away from it.

dextercorvia
2015-06-04, 08:43 PM
Lift looks at the choice of paths -- always excited to have a decision to make at the beginning of an adventure. It seems we have a choice. Any insights?

Survival [roll0] for some sort of clue as to which direction might have the fewest obstacles.

Jeriah
2015-06-05, 12:59 AM
"I shouldn't be here. I'm not a fighter. I can't fight. I can't do anything. I should be at home with my sisters. This is all a big mistake."

The girl rambles for a moment before falling back into muttering to herself. She seems completely unable to offer any insight at all for the time being.

Moranica
2015-06-06, 03:35 PM
The path going down seem like it is used more often the other paths. Other then that you are covinced flying would be the most efficient route.

dextercorvia
2015-06-06, 04:55 PM
Lift addresses the frantic woman once more, "I understand that you aren't here by your will. I'd like to see you home, but the only way there is forward. There ain't any going back."

He turns then and surveys their choices once again. "If none have returned, it means everyone has gotten stopped somewhere. If it is here, at the first gate, then the downward path is worst by far. If, instead, most met their fate later, then the downward past is safe enough. So, that doesn't help much Lift speaks softly, as to himself. Then louder for everyone, he adds, I, for one, am a fan of the path least traveled, but that is the heart of one raised on the edge of the wilderness."

Rizban
2015-06-08, 01:55 PM
Stirring for the first time since the others arrived, the construct creature turns to look at the others. Watching for a second or two, he decides that these are to be his new allies. Slightly more promising than the last two groups that came through the gate, if not by much, he figured this is the best he would do.

Wordlessly, the construct walks over to the woman, shoving past Lift, grabs her under her arms, and tosses her over his shoulder.

"We go. No more delay."

Turning towards the lower path, he carries the girl on his shoulder. Grabbing lift by the wrist as he passes by, he tugs him behind, giving Rot a standard blank look that likely was meant to intimidate him into following. Once it seems that Lift is following without too much chance of backtracking for the other path, the construct releases his wrist.

dextercorvia
2015-06-08, 06:00 PM
When the statue moves, it startles Lift quite a bit. He'd heard of such things, of course, but it had stood there so motionless, he just assumed it marked the gate. He is so startled that he is unable to dodge the constructs grab entirely. He briefly considers escape, but it doesn't seem hostile, and he really doesn't want to rip his only jerkin at the beginning of a journey -- an ill omen that would be. "I suppose down it is," Lift quips nervously just as the thing lets him go. "You are direct, I'll say. Something refreshing about that."

Rizban
2015-06-09, 01:34 AM
"Hm." The construct acknowledges the comment verbally, though it seems he does so more because it is expected than from a desire to respond.

LuckyStrike
2015-06-09, 06:25 AM
While Lift startles, Rot shrieks. He seems to jump in the air while at the same time starting to dig his way down a bit looking quite ridiculous doing so. After realizing he's not being attacked, just ordered around, Rot tries to regain composure and follows like he never thought of doing anything else.

He tried to remember if he had said anything out loud in front of it while thinking it was just a statue but couldn't remember. He figured he would try to be extra nice to it if he got half the chance.

Jeriah
2015-06-09, 10:42 AM
The woman is scared stiff. She just freezes and allows herself to be carried for several minutes. Just as she begins to regain her senses and the panic starts to build, she realizes that he hasn't hurt her and doesn't seem to intend to do so. Clutching her shield, she just silently allows herself to be carried for the time being...

Moranica
2015-06-14, 05:11 PM
The walk is an easy one. The well trodden path is only several feet wide, and progress is quick and steady. Slowly it descends weaving back and forth over the mountainside.

It is after almost an hour that you pass a particular long stretch. It is pretty clear why the path takes a slight detour, as the slope here is quite a bit steeper and filled with loose gravel. The path itself seems firm though and easily negotionable.

About half way, both the warforged and the lady he is carrying spot some pointy ears, shooting away behind a large boulder, about 50 ft above you.

dextercorvia
2015-06-16, 09:41 PM
Lift enjoys the rocky descent. This world is not so different from where he grew up. There are trees and rocks, and maybe even fat pheasants. Maybe the familiarity lured him into complacency, but the first sign he has that they aren't alone is the startled expression on the girls face. When she looks up from her perch on top of the construct, Lift looks around for the trouble she spotted.

[roll0]

Rizban
2015-06-17, 01:28 AM
Huh. Somehow, I missed Moranica's update.Turning back towards the two following him, the warforged motions up to the rock.

"Potential threat detected. Target assessment required. Your skills are sufficient to the task. Proceed immediately."

dextercorvia
2015-06-20, 11:00 PM
I just looked there, and didn't see a thing. You sure you saw something?

Rizban
2015-06-21, 12:59 AM
"Affirmative. Closer inspection requested. Both proceed."

dextercorvia
2015-06-21, 12:55 PM
Lift creeps in the direction indicated, arrow knocked.

LuckyStrike
2015-06-21, 01:27 PM
Yet again Rot was taken unawares by the warforged. He bumped into it and scowled at the sudden stop on the downward slope. Rot was just about to give it a piece of his mind, apparently already having forgotten his plan to be nice, when he registers the word 'threat'.

He loaded a sharpened fork onto his crossbow and looked in the general direction the warforged indicated, listening intently.

'What did you see?' He whispers.

Moranica
2015-06-21, 03:22 PM
As some of you watch the large boulder intently, you notice it wiggling a little. Small pebbles are coming loose as well and tumble down the mountainside.

[The mountainside is made of loose gravel, and quite steep. It's a DC 5 climb check to scale it.]

Rizban
2015-06-22, 12:33 AM
The 'forged makes a sound like grinding of gears which sounds rather ominous, apparently, it has become rather irritated.

"Assignment failure! Ally usefulness under reassessment! Threat confirmed. Target unknown. Incoming!"

The 'forged darts backwards on the path, shoving past both Rot and Lift, still carrying the woman slung over his shoulder.

dextercorvia
2015-06-22, 07:56 PM
Lift rushes after the construct, recognizing that it is much harder to roll a bolder uphill. When he is clear of the path of the bolder should it dislodge, he'll pause and look again for whatever it was that the warforged saw.

Spot [roll0]

Jeriah
2015-06-24, 09:44 PM
The scared girl holds her shield in front of her face, taking a total defense action on the warforged's shoulder...

LuckyStrike
2015-06-25, 11:02 AM
Rot looks frightened as the others run away but decides a different course of action for himself. He bends over and starts digging a hole straight down. He claws himself into the ground and stops once he's sure his entire body fits in the hole, with nothing sticking out.

Moranica
2015-06-29, 04:21 PM
For a moment, the scene goes silent as most of group runs back up the trail.

Then, a sudden crashing sound echos through the valley as the boulder comes loose and starts rolling downhill with terrifying speed. With it comes a storm of debris, broken loose by the boulder. It thunders down the mountain, straight at Rot. His claw dig hard and he barely makes it in time, but the bould bounces over his little hideaway, and further down the mountain. In it's wake though, the storm of debris follows and some of the larger rocks find their way right into the hole.

Three rocks on Rot.
Attack roll [roll0]; Damage [roll1]
Attack roll [roll2]; Damage [roll3]
Attack roll [roll4]; Damage [roll5]

About 50 feet above two small silhouettes look down at the fruits of their labor.

Initiative everyone!

Rizban
2015-06-29, 06:35 PM
Might be faster for you to just roll initiative for everyone in the future and then let us all post, resolving our posts in initiative order.[roll0]

dextercorvia
2015-06-29, 06:40 PM
Initiative [roll0]

LuckyStrike
2015-06-29, 11:30 PM
Initiative:

[roll0]

Moranica
2015-07-02, 07:39 AM
Rolling for Aleinal Kormarin

Initiative [roll0]

Good idea on the rolling. I'll roll initiative for everyone, next encounter

Rizban
2015-07-02, 01:18 PM
The warforged drops the girl he carries to her feet as a free action when he stops running, before initiative is rolled.

On his turn, he will attempt to climb directly up the side of the mountain towards the two silhouettes rather than taking the switchback, using a double move to head uphill.

If needed:
balance [roll0] 3
climb [roll1] 13

Moranica
2015-07-02, 04:44 PM
Initiative blocks
1 All
2 Goblins

you notice the two goblins looking down at you. From here you can see shortswords on their side and shortbows on their back.

All to act

dextercorvia
2015-07-03, 02:51 PM
Lift knocks an arrow and lets it fly at the goblin on the left. He slips on some scree as he looses the arrow and it goes flying well over their heads.

Attack [roll0] 4 (natural 1)
Damage [roll1] 3