PDA

View Full Version : Level 7 Transformation Spell Choices

CrazyYanmega
2015-05-29, 05:00 PM
I've been planning out a female 8 year old sorcerer named Ariana Swallowtail, and am trying to decide what to take first, Body of War (transform into a Warforged Titan) or Aspect of the Platinum Dragon (Transform into an Aspect of Bahamut).

On the one hand, Body of War grants a lot of useful immunities, but it's weapons don't benefit from that monstrous strength score. On the other hand is Aspect of the Platinum Dragon, which would give me a breath weapon and over 100 temporary hit points.

Which should I go with first?

Also, does Aspect of the Platinum Dragon grant me the ability to make use of the Aspects Feats, as per the polymorph subschool rules?

ShurikVch
2015-05-29, 05:10 PM
8 year old sorcerer:smallconfused:
What is the specie of the sorceress?
Sorcerers got their power at puberty...

CrazyYanmega
2015-05-29, 05:13 PM
:smallconfused:

... They do?. Crap. Well, I'm sure I can work something out with my future DM.

Species is human, which is really rare for me.

Venger
2015-05-29, 05:19 PM
:smallconfused:

that's just fluff, it has no effect on the game if he wants to play a kid.

as far as the difference between these spells, go for body of war if you're set on a transformative spell instead of a utility one like stun ray. the immunities are better. while the dragon one gives you a fat pad of temp HP, it doesn't give a lot else, and your BA is still going to prevent you from succeeding that much as a melee brute.

go warforged titan and take advantage of your immunities, bomb your enemies with cloudkills, etc and wade through the carnage.

what is an aspect feat?

CrazyYanmega
2015-05-29, 05:32 PM
Sorry, I meant to say Aspect's feats. Like Power Attack.

Also, if I use the Aspect spell, could I fly high into the air and smash a grappled opponent into the ground from a power dive?

Venger
2015-05-29, 05:42 PM
Sorry, I meant to say Aspect's feats. Like Power Attack.

Also, if I use the Aspect spell, could I fly high into the air and smash a grappled opponent into the ground from a power dive?

Yes. You lose all your stats (with the exception of alignment, hp, HD, and languages) and gain the dragon's. there's even an addendum mentioning the use of the tempest breath feats, so yes, you do gain his feats.

smashing them into the ground has no real rules to support it, but you could always grapple them, fly up and drop them so they take falling damage. it has the bonus of not requiring an atk roll or allowing a save, even if the damage is somewhat lackluster.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-05-29, 06:19 PM
Toss both of those aside, and go with Draconic Polymorph in the Draconomicon. Turn into a War Troll in MM3 for large size, a claw/claw/bite routine (or full attack two-handed and bite), Dazing Blow on every claw and weapon attack, +14 natural armor, Str 39, Dex 16, Con 31, and you can still cast spells in that form. Put Bite of the Werebear or Weretiger on top of that plus (Persistent) Wraithstrike and you'll be a juggernaut of destruction.

Venger
2015-05-29, 06:22 PM
Toss both of those aside, and go with Draconic Polymorph in the Draconomicon. Turn into a War Troll in MM3 for large size, a claw/claw/bite routine (or full attack two-handed and bite), Dazing Blow on every claw and weapon attack, +14 natural armor, Str 39, Dex 16, Con 31, and you can still cast spells in that form. Put Bite of the Werebear or Weretiger on top of that plus (Persistent) Wraithstrike and you'll be a juggernaut of destruction.

undoubtedly a better choice all around. however, the fact that he's considering polymorph subschool spells at all heavily implies polymorph and other good spells of that ilk are banned.

is that the case, crazyyanmega?

are your 5ths picked out already?

Urpriest
2015-05-29, 09:23 PM
that's just fluff, it has no effect on the game if he wants to play a kid.

Playing as a kid is just fluff too, though. Granted, it's a choice either way, but one way you're playing an 8 year old in a game about killing stuff, so...

Bad Wolf
2015-05-29, 11:02 PM

I think he's going for a roleplaying thing, so he's just picking cool spells. Also, I'm pretty sure you can still cast spells as a dragon.

Venger
2015-05-29, 11:26 PM
I think he's going for a roleplaying thing, so he's just picking cool spells. Also, I'm pretty sure you can still cast spells as a dragon.

right, that's what we're trying to ascertain, but we can't know til crazyyanmega tells us whether it's a ban or a personal preference. or maybe he'd like to take those spells. we'll find out soon.

what? no you can't. you lose all your class features when you use polymorph subschool spells. that includes spellcasting. there's a reason they're not more popular.

CrazyYanmega
2015-06-02, 08:34 PM
Just a personal preference. She isn't in a game yet, so she hasn't had anything banned. I just wanted to pick out a cool but usable spell that matches her personality.

Honest Tiefling
2015-06-02, 08:39 PM
Just a personal preference. She isn't in a game yet, so she hasn't had anything banned. I just wanted to pick out a cool but usable spell that matches her personality.

What part of her personality is represented by turning into a giant dragon, and what went wrong with this child!?

CrazyYanmega
2015-06-02, 08:45 PM
What part of her personality is represented by turning into a giant dragon, and what went wrong with this child!?

She's based on Lymle from Star Ocean 4. Ariana is a Princess who has a habit of using spells to blow stuff sky high. Her ex-adventurer parents... okay, you know what, Imma just post her backstory.

Ariana Swallowtail is a princess, and a young one at that. One day she will inherit the throne of a minor coastal kingdom, but for now she is content to cause magical mischief and mayhem, mainly by blowing things up. Only 9 years old, she nevertheless is in control of significant magical power as a sorcerer. This put her at odds with her family, who wanted her to be a proper princess. Feeling stifled, she ran away from home, boarded a ship, and sailed off for distant lands.

Unbenownst to Ariana, her parents, level 32 Druid/5 Warshaper named Mizar Kurokaze-Swallowtail and level 20 Pirate/15 Swashbuckler Malorie Swallowtail, scry on her on a regular basis, and are currently looking to hire a band of adventurers to bring her home.

jiriku
2015-06-02, 08:46 PM

Wait, you mean that as an 8-year-old child you didn't wish you could turn into a dragon? :smalleek:

Sith_Happens
2015-06-03, 12:19 AM

In that case the answer is that with Polymorph or Draconic Polymorph you wouldn't have to choose what you can turn into. Okay, you still would, but you could change your mind every time you casted it.

Venger
2015-06-03, 01:11 AM

what kind of kid were you that you didn't want to be a dragon?