PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the What Now? [IC]

Syekate
2015-05-29, 09:45 PM
Rise of the Runelords
Chapter One: Burnt Offerings

After waking up with the sun and traveling for several hours without break, the last leg of the journey was over! Though they had come from many different areas and joined up at different points throughout the trip, the five adventurers who had tagged along with the ever-growing caravan of merchants and farmers had reached their destination. Before them stands the Light of the Lost Coast, Sandpoint, a bustling small city of tile and thatched roofs over which looms the the Old Light, the crumbling remains of an ancient lighthouse, according to one of the locals.

Sir Talbot, leader of the caravan in nothing but name, was happy to have each of the adventurers along for the trip, if for naught but company. Although no major incidences occurred, there was always the chance for bandits, monsters, or even the fabled Sandpoint Devil to interrupt what was otherwise a very serene and scenic route along the Lost Coast Road. As the adventurers began unloading their gear, Sir Talbot thanked them, and told them "Be safe, enjoy yourselves. Looks like we arrived just in time for the Swallowtail Festival to begin. I'd tell you to go find a nice inn to stay at, but I doubt you'll find anything open while the Festival is underway. Follow the sounds of cheering and you'll quickly find the new Cathedral being blessed today. Hurry on now! We can handle our jobs just fine here. Take care!" before turning to the rest of the caravan, none of whom appear to be particularly interested in his presence.

The five of you find your ways down a few long, winding streets making your way north towards a large Cathedral looming above the various wood-and-stone buildings near the south entrance to the village, where the caravan entered the city by crossing a long bridge. As you all make your way down a street labeled "High Street" by various signs, you crest a hill and see a sight that is all too welcoming after the days of empty roads you have crossed: People everywhere, music, dancing, stalls with merchants and vendors offering every kind of goods and foods and drinks, many of which are being given away for free! Someone is finishing a speech on the top of a large stage constructed in front of a magnificent cathedral. Listening closely reveals that the speech is one of welcome and rejoicing, with a friendly and energetic tone. Though you all came up during the middle of the speech, it quickly becomes evident that the person speaking, a female human, is Mayor Deverin. Her speech appears to raise people's spirits as she makes well-spirited jabs at some of the local townsfolk, and she concludes by thanking everyone for joining in the festivities. With this, she invites Sheriff Belor Hemlock to the stage to give another welcome speech, to much applause for both the Mayor and the Sheriff.

You find yourselves each standing on the edge of the celebration, with the stage to the east, and some stands selling goods just a few paces to the north. On the northernmost edge of the large space reserved for the festival, several games and contests appear to be being played, with people competing over various feats.

What do each of you do?

The Hellbug
2015-05-30, 12:20 AM
"I don't know about you folks," Rose says cheerily to her nearby companions from the caravans, "but I haven't had anything to eat but the rations I packed for the road. Some real food sounds mighty fine right now." With that said, she wanders off towards the food stalls, looking for something slightly exotic to try. The energy of the festival is quite invigorating, and she can't help but keep a smile on her face as she wanders.

ylvathrall
2015-05-30, 12:42 AM
Kurad stands and watches for a few moments, trying to process what's going on. He doesn't consider himself uncivilized, and this certainly isn't his first time in a city, but he has to admit that this kind of spectacle isn't something he's comfortable with.

A decent meal does sound good, but he thinks he might be better off to wait until he's feeling less unsettled by the strangeness of this festival. With that in mind, he settles in at the edge of the crowd to wait for the next speech. It seems as though the sheriff is a well-regarded speaker, so Kurad thinks he might learn something by watching how the man handles speaking to such a vast number of people. And, if nothing else, it will at least give him some time to adjust.

rezplz
2015-05-30, 02:17 PM
Grotar eyes the crowds with a judging eye. Compared to the orcish celebrations he had taken part in, everything here was... tame. Where he came from, celebrations were more than just merry making - they were a chance for an orc to prove himself among other orcs, to show off their strength. While there were the physical contests here, they seemed to be more for fun than a demonstration of power. An odd way to celebrate. Maybe there's something I'm not seeing here... I will have to learn from them. Despite how weak they seemed to appear, he could not overlook the fact that there may be something hidden beneath the surface. The only way to learn would be to join them, he supposed. "Make merry to your heart's content, halfling," he said in response to the little one. Such an odd race. How are they still alive? I would think they'd have been crushed ages ago. Another thing to learn. He started moving towards the celebration, returning any suspicious stares from the townsfolk with an intimidating look of his own. "I plan on testing my strength."

The crowd made room for him, few wanting to stand in his way. It was only the occasional villager that he had to gently move out of the way - no sense in causing a disturbance before he could learn - and was amused when he saw the shocked expression of the oblivious villager when they saw Grotar. In short time, he had made his way over to a game of wrestling. For a minute, he watched as shirtless men threw themselves at each other, unarmed, in a test of who was mightier. While watching, and looking at his competition, he had to give some of them a begrudging respect. While most humans seemed fragile, this group had a few that could hold their own quite well. He watched two in particular go at it, and he could see that they were quite skilled. They would be perfect to test himself against. He stood tall, arms folded on his chest as he watched. Then, in a deep voice he called out, "I claim the next fight!"

Lifeson
2015-05-30, 04:16 PM
Home.

It felt good to be back. The town didn't appear to have changed much in the past three years It appeared they had arrived just in time for the opening speeches, as the Mayor just stepped by to let other speakers take the stage. A rumbling in his stomach reminded him that deliciousness was only coin pieces away. Not yet. I came back to see our cathedral consecrated, and I will do so. Though, getting too much farther in the crowd might cause a ruckus. And so Uriel stood next to his other companion who also watched the ceremony.

Feeling chatty, he struck up small-talk, "Kurad, was it? If you're not from here, you might not know the history behind him. New sheriff after about five years ago, Belor Hemlock. Good man, through and through. He's Shoanti, though I couldn't tell you the tribe...nor do I think he would, either. He doesn't say much on that part, but he's been doing the town real well since."

ylvathrall
2015-05-30, 04:34 PM
"Kurad, was it? If you're not from here, you might not know the history behind him. New sheriff after about five years ago, Belor Hemlock. Good man, through and through. He's Shoanti, though I couldn't tell you the tribe...nor do I think he would, either. He doesn't say much on that part, but he's been doing the town real well since."

Kurad eyes the fellow. He's a strange-looking one, no denying, but they'd traveled together for a while, and that made him almost kin. He didn't seem so bad on the road, and now that they've reached their destination, Kurad can't deny that he's glad just to have a familiar face around, even if the face in question does have red skin and horns.

"That's my name," he says, extending his hand. "And you were...Uriel, yes? I've seen you around, don't think we've spoken." He looks back at the stage. "Strange to see one of my people as the sheriff, of all things. I'll have to ask how that came to be."

Syekate
2015-05-31, 11:39 AM
Heading toward the vendors, Rose finds that most of the food there is available free of charge. There are many samplers, but not much in the way of a full meal. Some merchants are selling exotic fares, cheese and wines, meat pies of rare beasts, ambrosia and nectars claiming to hail from exotic lands, but only those of the higher class appear to be purchasing these expensive goods. She finds her way to a stall emitting a particularly delicious aroma of spicy stew where a woman who looks equal parts beautiful and dangerous is dishing out stew to anyone who puts a hand forth. Her hair is dark with exciting white highlights slashing across her bangs, and her keen eyes and lopsided smile, along with toned muscles on bare arms, suggest a person who lives for thrills. She calls to those leaving the stall, "Remember the Rusty Dragon during lunch today! Oh, hello there, new to town?" she asks Rose as she continues serving the many hungry mouths gathered around the crowded stall.

Kurad and Uriel are among few people giving the stage their primary attention at this time. Sheriff Belor Hemlock is a brown-skinned, tall, and muscular man with a dour gaze. He begins his speech with a warning for safety and vigilance. "Please recall, particularly around the bonfire later tonight, to exercise caution and good judgement. In conclusion, I would like to invite everyone to join me in remembering those we lost in the fire that brought down the old cathedral five years ago. May their spirits go with peace and Sarenrae guide them on their path." There is a very uncomfortable silence around the stage as the mood in the crowd suffers from dismal memories.

Grotar is not dissappointed, for when the wrestling match is finished, and the victor declared, a hulking man takes his shirt off and enters the ring. A voice from the ringside calls out, "Current champion Rugar the Beast has been challenged by a new contender! Remember, no hitting, kicking, or biting. Let's make it a clean show, folks!" Rugar grins at Grotar; he has the sun-worn skin of a farmer, and enough muscles to suggest that he may pull the plow himself. The match is fierce, with a large crowd gathering the two contenders as they circle the ring, arms locked, looking for a weak point. The crowd begins to cheer as Rugar starts to gain the upper hand, but Grotar manages to reverse his position and brings his foe crashing to the ground. They tussle for quite some time, keeping everyone on the edge of their seats. The farmer has been unbeaten all day, and everybody is keen on watching the exciting matchup. Before long, Grotar has his foe in an inescapable lock, and Rugar pounds his fist on the ground to admit defeat. The crowd goes wild as Grotar is claimed the new champion of strength, and the half-orc has likely never been surrounded by so many smiling human faces congratulating him on his victory, including Rugar, who comes over to shake Grotar's hand.

The Hellbug
2015-05-31, 06:39 PM
Rose

"Remember the Rusty Dragon during lunch today! Oh, hello there, new to town?".

"Oh, yes," Rose replies, "I was just passing through the area when I came upon a caravan headed here. When I heard that it was full of travelers on their way to this Swallowtail Festival, I couldn't help but tag along. I've needed a little bit of a break, and this may be just the thing to help me do it. Name's Rose, by the way" She reaches for one of the bowls that the other patrons have been taking, holding it out for the woman to fill it. "The Rusty Dragon? That your place then? How'd it get a name like that?" Rose asks, before quickly adding, pointing to the fox at her side, "And if you had a little something for Medea here, I'd be awfully grateful."

rezplz
2015-06-01, 04:07 AM
As the wrestling match he was watching drew to a close, Grotar kept an ear on the human speaker. Judging by the fact that he still held a few peoples' attention, it seemed that it might be more than a simple flowery speech meant for posturing. Such speeches about remembering the fallen were always used to amp up an army before a battle - remember the fallen, so that you might not fall as well. Or if you do, make sure it is a fall to be remembered. There was an odd lack of battle preparation, however, if this were such a speech. Could this speaker be genuine? It seemed a foreign concept to him, yet it resonated with him. Remember the ones who had fallen for your cause, and who they were. This Sarenrae must be one of the human dieties, perhaps one that guided noble soldiers who had fallen in battle. If so, Grotar would have to learn about him.

Grotar raised an eyebrow as a different man entered the ring - he was expecting one of the two current wrestlers to be the champion. Surely this kind of crowd wouldn't care for a lesser bout - in his mind, only the champion's fights earned such attention. Orcs lower in the hierarchy fought and changed position so often that the only reason to watch was the anticipation of "accidental" bloodshed. Yet these humans seemed cheerful to watch the lower fights, even without any bloodshed. Nobody even cheated! While that was an odd notion, it was one that Grotar approved of. Yet it left him confused about why they cared to watch. These people did not seem bloodthirsty. Could it be a simple love of the sport? Such a strange people.

Grotar eyed this champion carefully as he entered the ring. A man so comfortable on the top that he welcomed challengers. Grotar had fought this type before - they were foolhardy, and did not stay on the top for long. The moment they were threatened, they were likely to pull out every dirty trick as their expectations were challenged. However, the rules had been set. Grotar nodded at his opponent, flexing to show off his strength. He would not be the first to dishonor this competition. He stepped into the ring with Rugar. Judging by his size, Rugar was sure to put up a good fight. For a human.

Then the fight started. The two slammed muscles against each other. They were equally matched. Grotar strained and pushed, yet it was for nothing. The human held his ground! The bout went on, as Grotar kept waiting for the inevitable betrayal of the rules. Rugar had too much at stake to risk losing, he figured. Yet it never came. Grotar gained new respect for his opponent, and pushed all the harder. The two sweated and strained, and Grotar shouted a battle cry as he attempted to overpower Rugar with brute force. The human held his ground. And pushed back! Just as Grotar feared he might lose, his legs wanting to buckle, he remembered his book of battle. Tactics came back to his mind - he would have to turn Rugar's strength into his weakness. He shifted his grip and pushed even harder, their faces barely an inch away from each other - and then, he twisted. The half orc moved his hand to Rugar's shoulder. The human's powerful surge forward put him off balance, and Grotar flipped him. He seized his new advantage with all the strength he could, holding the human down until he eventually admitted defeat. It was over.

He took a deep breath, still stunned. Not at his victory, but that his opponent had fought clean throughout it. Their champion was defeated, and yet nobody cheated. He celebrated the only way he knew how. He stood tall over his foe, beating his chests and bellowing a cry of victory. Now they will show their true colors! He pumped his hands into the air, sweat dripping out of his hair as he looked into a crowd that should have been intimidated, or at least angry that he, a foreigner, an orc, had bested their best.

Yet they all congratulated him. They cheered him. Rugar, the ex-champion, shook his hand. He did not understand, and that made him feel weak. He was obviously perplexed, looking back and forth from Rugar to the crowd with a tired gaze. Each time he thought that he understood these creatures, they proved him wrong. What was their angle? He fixed his gaze on Rugar, trying to understand this man that was not bothered by losing. "I... do not understand. I took away your title of being undefeated, and your claim to being champion. Yet you seem happy. You congratulate me, instead of cursing me. Why?"

Lifeson
2015-06-01, 04:59 PM
"And you were...Uriel, yes? I've seen you around, don't think we've spoken. Strange to see one of my people as the sheriff, of all things. I'll have to ask how that came to be." An extended hand was met with a firm handshake...as much as an ink-stained scribe can muster, anyhow. Remembering the events in question, and the 'unpleasantness' that Sandpoint had termed it, he warned Kurad, "Um...there is a story behind that one...", but was cut off by Hemlock's address.

"Please recall, particularly around the bonfire later tonight, to exercise caution and good judgement. In conclusion, I would like to invite everyone to join me in remembering those we lost in the fire that brought down the old cathedral five years ago. May their spirits go with peace and Sarenrae guide them on their path."

Uriel bowed his head, grasped his wooden holy symbol and repeated, "May Sarenrae light their path." Returning to the conversation at hand, Uriel continued where he left off, "I don't know how much of Sandpoint you know, but even a town as vibrant as this one has dark times. There once was a man named Jervis Stoot, an eccentric man with a penchant for birds. It was he who...er, how should I say...opened up the position of sheriff." Uriel adjusted his glasses, falling askew after the prayer, and finished his explanation, "In fact, it was shortly before the previous church burned down, the whole reason we're here today. That year was not a good year for us here at Sandpoint. I'm glad to see that they've gotten brighter since I last saw them."

ylvathrall
2015-06-02, 01:09 AM
Uriel bowed his head, grasped his wooden holy symbol and repeated, "May Sarenrae light their path." Returning to the conversation at hand, Uriel continued where he left off, "I don't know how much of Sandpoint you know, but even a town as vibrant as this one has dark times. There once was a man named Jervis Stoot, an eccentric man with a penchant for birds. It was he who...er, how should I say...opened up the position of sheriff." Uriel adjusted his glasses, falling askew after the prayer, and finished his explanation, "In fact, it was shortly before the previous church burned down, the whole reason we're here today. That year was not a good year for us here at Sandpoint. I'm glad to see that they've gotten brighter since I last saw them."

Kurad grins at this. He likes this fellow, he decides. Sure, he's odd-looking, and that mention of Sarenrae is a bit off-putting as well; Kurad's always been a touch hesitant about deities. You honor your totem, you honor your ancestors, and you honor the world around you. He figures making things more complex than that is just asking for trouble.

But Uriel seems a decent sort, and there's nothing in the tribal teachings that says folk with red skin and horns can't be decent. "I'd wager that's a tale worth hearing," Kurad says, releasing the man's hand. "Dark times, a murdered sheriff and a burning church, a year of blood and fire...it almost sets itself to verse. Please, you must tell me the whole thing. I cannot stand to know half a story. It seems that you know Sandpoint better than I; do you know where we can get some food, while you tell me how these things came to be? I don't have anything to trade, but perhaps I could work for our meal."

Syekate
2015-06-02, 09:02 AM
The woman gets out a small dish for the fox and says, "I'm Ameiko-" right before a sudden surge of hungry people overwhelms her stall. As Rose is pushed out of the way, the woman quickly scribbles a note on a piece of paper and hands it to the halfling, then turning to the new customers to deal them their fair share. The note reads: Rusty Dragon, Market Street, Ameiko Kaijitsu.

Meanwhile, the sheriff ends the moment of silence with an uncharacteristically warm smile and says, almost as if he'd forgotten, "Please remember to enjoy the festivities." The next speaker is supposed to be local noble Lonjiku Kaijitsu, but he has apparently fallen ill and will not be able to make it. Nobody in the crowd appears particularly surprised by this development. Just when everybody thinks the opening ceremonies are complete, a handsome, well-dressed man seems to just appear in the center of the stage, completely and totally prepared for the limelight. A cry of "Cyrdak we love you!!!" goes out from a few of the younger ladies in the crowd. The man quickly begins what appears to be a well-rehearsed speech, starting with a formal introduction signifying him as Cyrdak Drokkus, playwright extraordinaire, diviner of the fine thespian arts, and a few other larger-than-life titles. Judging by the reaction from the crowd, this a much more welcome change from the expected Lonjiku. Cyrdak quickly goes into a rousing tale about the ordeal the town went through to gain the financial backing to construct this new cathedral... Even taking some time at the end of his speech to advertise his company, the Sandpoint Theatre, and the new production of "The Harpy's Curse" which would be opening soon with none other than the famous Magnimarian diva Allishanda playing the lead role as the Harpy Queen!

Rugar claps the half-orc on the back. "It's all good fun and games, mate!" He then goes off with some friends, boasting about how he almost had that huge half-orc on the ropes. Everyone agrees that it was a solid match, well fought on either side. A new pair enters the ring, but they are not nearly as big or well-muscled as the previous contenders. Many people give their congratulations to Grotar on being the strongest contestant of the day before wandering off to partake in other festivities.

As Cyrdak leaves the stage to wild applause, a priest steps up to say his piece...

The Hellbug
2015-06-02, 11:02 AM
Rose

Receiving Ameiko's note along with the bowl for Medea, Rose sees that there won't be a chance to get in a word edgewise, Guess I'll have to come back later if the stew's as good as it smells. She looks like she could have quite the story to tell for an innkeeper. She awkwardly attempts to give Ameiko a wave but can't quite manage it with her hands full and only manages a quick nod and a smile before setting off back towards the stage and a place to sit down.

Rose approaches the crowd at the stage just as the thespian steps down to wild applause. Seeing a couple other members of her caravan in Uriel and Kurdak, she joins them on the edge of the crowd, putting the smaller bowl of stew on the ground for Medea, who quickly begins lapping happily at the stew, and pocketing the note from Ameiko before tasting the stew for herself. "Wow, this stuff is really good," she says after the first spoonful, "they don't make it like this back home; I'll have to grab the recipe. You two should really go grab some since they're giving it away for free. Some place called the Rusty Dragon."

Lifeson
2015-06-03, 08:34 AM
"Dark times, a murdered sheriff and a burning church, a year of blood and fire...it almost sets itself to verse. Please, you must tell me the whole thing. I cannot stand to know half a story. It seems that you know Sandpoint better than I; do you know where we can get some food, while you tell me how these things came to be? I don't have anything to trade, but perhaps I could work for our meal."

Uriel blinked a few times in a stunned silence, that was not the response he was expecting! ...he's not wrong, when I think about it...Ameiko would love to--oh! Thoughts recomposed, Uriel responded aloud,"I happen to know a place in town to eat you'll love, and I know the barkeep would like you. It's called the Rusty Dragon. You'll see why when we go. As for the town history lesson, I don't know if you'll hear the whole story for a bit. I actually was raised in the previous church here as a foundling, where I guess Sarenrae found me, rather than the other way around," A rumbling stomach stopped Uriel from going further on his tangent, "...rambling again, sorry. Anyways, once we're seated for food, I'll fill you in. The sun is shining too bright right now to darken it with those memories, but food sounds really good right about now. I wonder if Ameiko is serving anything toda--"

"Wow, this stuff is really good," she says after the first spoonful, "they don't make it like this back home; I'll have to grab the recipe. You two should really go grab some since they're giving it away for free. Some place called the Rusty Dragon."

"...speak of the devil..." muttered Uriel, then snickered at his own joke. He then explained himself to Rose, "As I just said to Kurad, I used to live here in Sandpoint and once upon a time, I worked in her kitchen. I don't have Ameiko's skill or raw talent with food, though, she is something else. Where is she serving? At her place, or one of the stalls around here?" Uriel's golden eyes seemed to sparkle from excitement.

The Hellbug
2015-06-03, 01:02 PM
Rose

"Right up the road aways in one of them stalls," replies Rose, pointing in the direction from which she had approached, "but you're gonna have to watch out for the crowd. It was no mean feat getting up to the front of the line." She pauses for a moment, studying the faces of her companions and rethinking her statement. "Then again, with the horns and the tattoos there, you probably won't have nearly the problem I did," Rose adds, letting out a laugh. As Medea finishes the last drops of the stew in the bowl on the ground, Rose finishes with a question, "want me to lead the way?"

rezplz
2015-06-03, 07:15 PM
Grotar continued to watch the fights for a while, his curiosity not having been completely satisfied. Judging by everyone's reactions, it seemed they truly did enjoy the didn't itself more than coming out on top. Could that be where their strength came from? A love of the fight itself instead of the posturing that orcs often did. A race that truly care more about each other than being on top. It was a strange concept, and he didn't know if it was a weakness or a strength.

As people congratulated him, he gave most people a brief nod to acknowledge them. One farmer he stopped. "Thank you. After the celebration is over, where might I relax with a drink?" The farmer seemed happy to reply.

"You should head to the rusty dragon. The best drink and food around! For the time being though, Ameiko has a stall over yonder," the farmer pointed with a callused finger in the direction of another crowd. "It's all free today, too! Make site you get it while it's still there!"

free food? What would this Ameiko have to gain from this? Curious, Grotar made his way through the crowd, having little trouble making his way through.

Syekate
2015-06-03, 07:51 PM
The priest on stage names himself Father Zantus, and he addresses the crowd with thanks for their attending, letting everyone know that the Swallowtail Festival is now underway! At the elder's command, two acolytes draw a tarp-covered carriage toward the stage. Father Zantus tells the parable of how Desna first fell to earth, and was nursed back to health by a poor blind child. "And for her aid, Desna transformed the child into an immortal butterfly. And so, on this day, we release the children of Densa to watch over the world!" With this, the acolytes withdraw the tarp, letting free a furious storm of swallowtail butterflies that swarm into the air in a spiraling riot of color to a great cheer from the crowd. The children jump and run in futile attempts to catch a butterfly themselves while adult spectators are content to watch the spectacle. This appears to be the signal to begin preparing for lunch, as the food carts have closed up shop and tables are being set for a great feast. In the meantime, the festivities continue, but lunch should be ready soon.

ylvathrall
2015-06-03, 07:52 PM
"Right up the road aways in one of them stalls," replies Rose, pointing in the direction from which she had approached, "but you're gonna have to watch out for the crowd. It was no mean feat getting up to the front of the line." She pauses for a moment, studying the faces of her companions and rethinking her statement. "Then again, with the horns and the tattoos there, you probably won't have nearly the problem I did," Rose adds, letting out a laugh. As Medea finishes the last drops of the stew in the bowl on the ground, Rose finishes with a question, "want me to lead the way?"

"It's true, people tend not to stand in my way in these parts," Kurad agrees, shrugging helplessly. "Although in this case it smells good enough that I don't mind so much. Doesn't it, Medea?" He squats down to pet the fox, then stand and hands the empty bowl to Rose. "Lead on," he says. "I'm looking forward to a warm meal, and I think Uriel is looking forward to seeing his friend again."

I'm assuming they're acquainted, at least enough that Kurad knows Medea's name and feels comfortable petting her.

Lifeson
2015-06-04, 11:17 AM
"Right up the road aways in one of them stalls, but you're gonna have to watch out for the crowd. It was no mean feat getting up to the front of the line. Then again, with the horns and the tattoos there, you probably won't have nearly the problem I did, want me to lead the way?"

Uriel ponders it for a moment. Yes, right, though perhaps the horns were more personal to the townsfolk than the Shoanti tattoos. On the other hand, you don't mess with Shoanti with tattoos. Hemlock was dangerous enough without them, who knows what the 'barbarian' was capable of, and he's got the marks to prove it if the trickle of tribal knowledge is anything to go by.

"It's true, people tend not to stand in my way in these parts. Although in this case it smells good enough that I don't mind so much. Doesn't it, Medea? Lead on, I'm looking forward to a warm meal, and I think Uriel is looking forward to seeing his friend again."

Civilized or not, friends are friends, all linked by a common desire: good food. "No need to think of me that much, I'm sure we'll be here long enough for me to say hi to everyone who would want me to," Uriel muttered, thankful that red skin doesn't blush redder. "Yes, lead on. Hopefully before she runs out. Ameiko's cooking is in very high demand."

The Hellbug
2015-06-04, 01:16 PM
Rose

"Although in this case it smells good enough that I don't mind so much. Doesn't it, Medea?"
The fox yipps happily in response, clearly sharing a similar opinion with her master about the stew, and leans into Kurad's hand, enjoying the attention.

"No need to think of me that much, I'm sure we'll be here long enough for me to say hi to everyone who would want me to,"

Rose had never met a tiefling before Uriel, but she had heard about them in stories: the descendants of mortal men and demons, cursed with demonic bloodlust and a desire for destruction of all that honest folk work for. She had to say, Uriel could not have been more different from the reputation his race had earned, and that was satisfactory for her. Like a sheep in wolf's clothing, she thinks to herself, grinning. "Nonsense, I've got to return these bowls to her stall anyway, and maybe with lunch coming up..." Rose nods towards the crowd and the now-empty stage, "...she'll have enough time to talk. She looked like she could have quite a story to tell."

Rose begins leading Kurad and Uriel back towards Ameiko's stall, Medea faithfully in tow. You know, Rose, joining that caravan has already been worth it, meeting strange people like these. Think of what everyone would say back home! And it certainly is better than traveling alone. Maybe I'll stay around here for a while after the festival since I'm already dreading going back to traveling alone.

Syekate
2015-06-05, 10:06 PM
The three are approaching the food stalls area when they run into Grotar, who is also seeking out something tasty to eat. Unfortunately, they find most of the food stalls deserted as vendors have left to prepare for the lunchtime feast. A halfling is cleaning up and putting away dishes at Ameiko's former post. It appears that people are taking their seats at long tables in preparation for the big meal of the day. Joining the rest, the adventurers take their seats and enjoy the amazing feast set before them. Each tavern in town has cooked a specialty dish to be judged, and the result is a smorgasbord of delectable delights. The Hagfish's lobster chowder and the White Deer's peppercorn venison are delicious, but nothing tops the Rusty Dragon's curry-spiced salmon and early winterdrop mead. Following the late luncheon, festivities continue for a short time as preparations are made for the cathedral's consecration.

ylvathrall
2015-06-06, 12:29 PM
Kurad

Kurad sits and eats happily. "So, Rose," he says between dishes. "You said that you've spent some time traveling on your own, yes? I imagine you must have some stories from that. And Medea, she's quite a wonderful creature. I'd love to hear how the two of you met."

The Hellbug
2015-06-06, 02:44 PM
Rose

Rose is disappointed that she won't be able to ask Ameiko those questions she had wanted to ask, but it is short lived in the face of the the the festival's feast. When the group meets up with Grotar, Rose is again reminded just how huge the orcish warrior is. Though she had never really talked to him much, in fact, she wasn't sure if anybody else in the caravan had, she is still happy to see another familiar face. After sitting down and beginning the meal, Kurad starts trying to make conversation.

"You said that you've spent some time traveling on your own, yes? I imagine you must have some stories from that. And Medea, she's quite a wonderful creature. I'd love to hear how the two of you met."

"Unfortunately, my travels so far haven't been particularly interesting," Rose begins, reaching into her pack and producing a book titled On the Ruins of Ancient Thassilon. "I've come all the way across Varisia in the past few months, following in the footsteps of Arnhelm Strauss, the author of this here piece. As you might know, the Thassilonians were renowned for their arcane magic, and I was hoping the journey might shed some light on my own powers, both their origins and ways to strengthen them. Unfortunately, all I've found is dusty ruins with anything interesting already taken by scholars or thieves." She leans over to pat Medea on the head, "As for Medea, here, she's been with me since the beginning, showed up when my powers began to appear and hasn't left my side since. Sometimes I think she was the only thing that allowed me to keep going when we were on our own. Sorry I don't have any stories; there was one time we ran into a wild boar that had taken up residence in one of the ruins, but that's probably not interesting to someone as well-traveled as you."

After she finishes her tale, Rose turns he attention back to the food but adding one last thought: "this festival's been pretty great so far. I wonder what they have planned for the actual dedication of the temple?"

Lifeson
2015-06-06, 09:51 PM
I guess you could say we accomplished the mission anyways, even if we didn't get to see her in person. I'll have to ask her for that curry recipe sometime, Uriel thought to himself as he finished his portion of the feast. He listened to his companions talk, making it their turn to reveal themselves. Especially a mental note to ask about learning Thassilonian. So much of their history entrenched in Varisia, and much of it behind a language barrier.

But, there was a fourth who had been apart from the rest of the group. Uriel dragged him into conversation, "How about you, Grotar? What brings you to lovely little Sandpoint?"

rezplz
2015-06-08, 02:00 AM
Grotar greeted the group with a cordial nod. He had not yet spoken to them, not having seen a reason to before. Now, however, he eyed them a bit curiously as they walked towards the food cart. A diverse group of poeple - a halfling, a tribal human, and demonspawn. He would expect them to be enemies before friends, yet they seemed to enjoy each other's company. He would learn from them.

Grotar's lip curled into a slight frown as he saw the carts were being put away. He had missed his chance - it seemed he would have to eat with the entire group, instead of being able to take his food and eat in privacy. His eyes scanned the crowd, as well as the talkative people he had arrived with. He was hoping to reflect for a bit on what he had observed so far, but that might be difficult in such a crowd. He made a mental note of his thoughts, and determined that he would have to commit them to paper later. Only then might he be able to piece this riddle of a society together. From what he could tell, however, was that everything here seemed to be genuine. And since they were still standing after hardship, that meant that it had to work. What he had yet to discover, however, was how?

As they ate, Grotar rested his elbows on the table. His eyes raised in a pleasant surprise as he tasted the quality of the food in front of them. Having only tasted trail rations and orc cooking, this was a caliber beyond what he knew. He took his bites slowly, savoring the taste and being sure not to gorge himself. In order to distract himself from the food, he listened to the halfling talk of her power. For a moment, he rested his chin on his hands, taking in what she had said. She claimed she had a power of some kind, but looking at her Grotar could not see it. She seemed too timid and untested to truly have power, but he would hold out his judgement for now. Even though he did not put much stock in magic, the half-orc knew that he was out of his element. Perhaps this more subtle power was the key. Was magic more common among these people than he thought?

He was abruptly pulled from his thoughts as he heard the demonspawn utter his name. He blinked in surprise, and for a moment merely stared at Uriel in confusion. He did not understand the interest this demonspawn had in him... but he would oblige. He would never truly learn of these people by being a mute observer, he supposed. He shrugged as he spoke. "It was the first caravan I saw. This is where it happened to be going." He paused for a moment, frowning. Learn by doing. You can do better. He would have to do as the halfling did, and expand more on his past. His eyes narrowed. This would be a test to see if this hospitality he had observed was true or feigned.

He took a breath, and continued. "Nowhere better to go, really. I had to flee from my brothers due to a... disagreement. I decided to use this chance to grow both in knowledge and strength. This caravan needed protection, and I hoped to test my might." He paused, reflecting on the trip to sandpoint. "The trip was unfortunately boring."

The Hellbug
2015-06-08, 12:58 PM
Rose

Rose had never really learned a lot about orcs. They had a reputation for savagery and violence, and that hadn't been terribly interesting before. Grotar had been traveling with the caravan when Rose arrived in it, and she had never seen him act out of line. Sure, he was strange and quiet, and he looked as if he could wrestle a bear to the ground, but Grotar had never been uncivil, just distant. The other members of the caravan had tolerated him, at least.

Rose realizes that Grotar isn't going to be saying anything more about himself at the moment so she turns her attention to Kurad. "And with Uriel being from Sandpoint here, that only leaves you. You're obviously not from around here. What brought you into our company, Kurad?" she asks, sopping up the last of her lobster chowder with a hunk of bread.

ylvathrall
2015-06-08, 06:15 PM
Kurad didn't pay much attention to the half-orc, the same as he'd tried to ignore him throughout the journey. His people had warred with those creatures for as long as anyone could remember, and to say that there was bad blood there was a criminal understatement. But Grotar seemed relatively civilized, lacking the brutality and stupidity that brought out the worst in many of his kin. Kurad wasn't going to start a fight with the other fellow, but it would take more than a handful of days for him to earn trust or respect.

He focused on his food, and on watching the crowd while he ate. His attention was brought back to the rest of the group, though, when Rose spoke up again. "And with Uriel being from Sandpoint here, that only leaves you. You're obviously not from around here. What brought you into our company, Kurad?"

He looks at her and shrugs awkwardly, his shoulders hunched forward a little. "I'm a storyteller," he says. "And I thought I might learn more about the stories of my people, things the tribes have forgotten or never knew, by wandering for a time. That's...all there is to say, really."

He then grabs another piece of venison and takes a large bite out of it, rather pointedly ending discussion of the topic. Or so he hopes, at least. He likes Rose, and it sounds like they might have something in common, considering her search for ancient knowledge, but sometimes she's almost too personable for his liking.

Lifeson
2015-06-08, 06:52 PM
A healer needs a good bedside manner, something Uriel tried his best to work on. A gentle smile, and the occasion nod of affirmation to let the speaker know you're truly listening. Though he wasn't as good yet on the speaking part, he was glad to have a conversation partner as awkward as he was.

And he could relate. "I think you will find plenty of opportunity soon. Sandpoint needs heroes like trees need the sun." As Grotar didn't look like he wanted to open up about his disagreement, Uriel didn't press. But certainly he can continue creating a unique band of misfits. He could see the half-orc was visibly uncomfortable laying himself bare, so Uriel told his own tale in return, "When I left this town, a lot of people had died. I lost a sister and a father in the fire of our previous church. Between the fire spreading, and Jervis Stoot gone mad, it's good to see these people celebrating again."

Uriel's own eyes narrowed a bit, averted in sadness. He switched the topic to steer away from past darkness, and on a topic he knew nobody could resist, "By the way, the exotic lady who made the curried salmon? I happened to learn some of her craft as well, and some of it you can take on the road with you." Maybe too much? "I could introduce you to her, Ameiko works at the Rusty Dragon. We might have passed it, the tavern is...aptly named. She has a variety of dishes, lots of meaty dishes to keep yourself healthy." Yeah, now would be a good time to stop. Any more, any faster, and Uriel was sure to be accused of witchcraft.

rezplz
2015-06-09, 01:08 AM
The tribesman was about as forthcoming as Grotar was. He looked into the tribesman's eyes, trying to get a decent judge of his character. A traveler wanting stories of the past... He frowned a bit in thought. What benefit could there be in learning about the past? The past was as irrelevant as yesterday's dinner. A species that obsessed with its past could only fail, as that effort could have been put into the present and the future. He turned his attention back to the demonspawn. Grotar found it odd how much Uriel was listening. Could it all be an elaborate trick? Such a thing was not unheard of from the demons that made up the man's ancestry. If it was a trick, it was frighteningly well done. Everything about the way he spoke said that he was just like the rest of the people in this town. Soft, friendly, and welcoming. He didn't let his guard down yet, however.

"It would be interesting to meet her. I am curious as to why someone would give food of this quality away for free." He took a large bite out of a salmon, emphasizing his point. "You say Sandpoint needs heroes. Why? Are they not strong enough to stand on their own? If so, then why would anyone try to save them?"

Lifeson
2015-06-09, 09:00 AM
"It would be interesting to meet her. I am curious as to why someone would give food of this quality away for free." He took a large bite out of a salmon, emphasizing his point. "You say Sandpoint needs heroes. Why? Are they not strong enough to stand on their own? If so, then why would anyone try to save them?"

Maybe I should've stuck to one topic. Next time... the tiefling thought to himself as the banter played out. Though, he didn't quite expect everyone to be forthcoming on only the first meeting, all around it seemed like the initial barriers of communication had been broken, and now they were all simply folk...even if you couldn't get four more different looking folk, all from as many walks of life. Not that it was a bad thing! If anything, Uriel enjoyed the meeting of philosophies.

"For the salmon and the rest of the food, think of it from the perspective of the cooks. This is a chance to woo many potentials to their place, as more customers means more money which means better business. I've heard the merchants in Magnimar refer to it as 'Advertising', but I can appreciate the concept. Of course, only one can win such a competition. The Two Knight brewery can certainly craft a good drink, but there's a reason I learned cooking from Ameiko," explained Uriel, also finishing off his salmon with the winterdrop mead.

Setting down the mug, he started answering the second set of questions: "We do have a few who can stand on their own, Sandpoint does train a local militia. The biggest problem we usually deal with here is just goblins, but their numbers could be overwhelming if they learned how to count past their fingers. Apart from the militia, we do have some individuals who can take care of themselves, as we do have industries that lie outside the town walls, like the brewers and trappers." He paused to take another drink. "Speaking of the industries, that's one of the two big reasons that this town is valuable. This town was initially formed by four merchant families who all specialized in something different. There's glassmaking, brewing, and lumber, both logging and carpentry. Of course, it's not just them alone, as you'll notice that The Lost Coast roads are also heavily traveled by the roaming Varisian gypsies as well, so between those two Sandpoint has grown really quickly in the past sixty years it's been here. And it's a nice enough place even someone like me can call this place home." The last sentence came out as more of a mumble, but the points was made. More or less.

Syekate
2015-06-09, 02:07 PM
As the four are chatting, most others have begun meandering toward the stage by the cathedral, as it appears that the consecration is going to begin shortly. There is a buzz of excitement in the crowd as they prepare for the big event of the day.

rezplz
2015-06-09, 02:36 PM
Grotar noted the gathering of people, but for now he was more concerned with the goblins that Uriel mentioned. Social interactions, and these people in general, he had a hard time understanding. Raiding and fighting? He knew that all too well. He looked around at all of these people - distracted, merry making. None of them ready for a true fight. Such a raid now would be disastrous. Goblins, being weak and small, would be quick to take any advantage they could. He pressed for more details.

"This fire that was mentioned. Was that caused by a raid? If so, where did the goblins strike first last time?" His hand itched towards his blade, worry on his face. He still had much to learn, and he could not learn from corpses.

The Hellbug
2015-06-09, 02:47 PM
Rose

"Well I know that I, personally, appreciate the concept," Rose replies to Uriel's explanation, giving her stomach a pat as she does so. She can't remember the last time she was so full; had she really been away from home that long already? The halfling tries to imagine what her family would think of the festival. Sure, they had celebrations and fairs back home, but nothing this large. They just never attracted the amount of travelers this Swallowtail Festival did--must be Sandpoint's location on the road up the coast. She decides that they would definitely enjoy it, though her father, in particular, would be wary of all the travelers present.

As she notices the other festival-goers beginning to head towards the new cathedral for its benediction, Rose hops down from her chair and urges the others, "C'mon, I want to get a good spot for whatever's next. If they were willing to use that butterfly stunt to open the festival, just think of what that priest will have in store for the main event. I want to get a spot up front this time, can't look over everyone's heads like the rest of you all. And Grotar, I don't think you need to worry about that. Uriel said that the goblins were too disorganized to be any real threat--doubly so when there are so many extra people in town for the festival." When she manages to get one of the others on his feet, she leads them over towards where the crowd is gathering.

ylvathrall
2015-06-09, 09:19 PM
Kurad

Kurad takes a last bite of meat and follows Rose, grateful to have been interrupted before the conversation became any more awkward. He loiters at the edge of the crowd, though, reluctant to move into the thick of it. He's still not comfortable being around so many people, and being surrounded by them, people pressing in on every side, sounds even worse.

Lifeson
2015-06-10, 10:48 AM
Uriel stood up upon hearing notice of the consecration, commenting, "As a priest of Sarenrae, it is my duty to stand up front and center of my new cathedral. Especially one in my hometown." Angling his glasses so that the sun's reflection hid his eyes, Uriel began to stride to the stage with what can only be described as divine purpose. "Of course, as my entourage, you'll all be with me. Now come, my church is being consecrated."

While he stood back in the opening ceremonies, not wanting to cause a ruckus, the consecration was another matter entirely. Besides, flanked by a sorceress, a half-orc, and a heavily tattoo'd Shoanti? Uriel doubted anyone would be stupid enough to try something with that kind of company.

The Hellbug
2015-06-10, 01:32 PM
Rose

Rose stops momentarily when Kurad balks at pushing through the crowd. She turns around and tries to encourage him onward, "C'mon Kurad, there's no way I'll be able to see from here, and you still stick out like a sore thumb." When that doesn't motivate him, Rose begins to look around for anything that could be used to augment her diminutive stature. A better solution comes in the form of Uriel's sudden proclamation, and Rose steps in behind him as he sorts his way through the crowd, saying, "Sure, I'm with you. Does that mean you have some part in the ceremony?" and finally to no one in particular, "What does a priest's entourage even do?"

ylvathrall
2015-06-10, 02:56 PM
Kurad

Entourage? Kurad thinks to himself upon hearing Uriel's proclamation. This priest is a funny man. You can barely hear him talk, then he goes and says something like that when he barely knows us.

He still isn't thrilled, but the familiar faces do help a bit. And, in any case, seeing this consecration ceremony up close might not be a bad idea. Foreign gods, maybe, but he did come here to learn about foreign peoples. So, reluctantly, he follows the two into the crowd, glaring a bit at anyone who presses too close.

Lifeson
2015-06-10, 06:21 PM
Uriel

Okay, so maybe he did owe his friends an explanation. Hooved feet clacked to a halt, and Uriel tuned to speak to his new 'entourage'. "I don't have a personal part in this, I haven't been here recently enough to do it. However, as a priest of this town, and one of the six major deities of this cathedral, Sarenrae herself necessitates my presence. She, like the previous church on this site, is a large part of my life. I owe Sarenrae enough that I should at least show my face front and center when a holy site is consecrated in her name." Uriel continued his pace, adding, "As for you three, I like you guys, and you guys tolerate me more than most. That's enough to brighten my day."

rezplz
2015-06-10, 06:35 PM
Between himself and Kurad, very few people seemed to get in their way. Grotar noted that all four of them were outsiders in a way - even Uriel, who was from sandpoint, seemed to not be completely accepted. Grotar looked over to him as they walked, trying to puzzle him out. Grotar's people were known for their savagery, yet these people seemed to readily accept him. Then why not the demonspawn? He would think that living in a town for long enough would ease any tentions the humans would have about Uriel, especially with how timid the demonspawn was. Humans... such a strange group of people. Accept an orc stranger, yet shun the devil they know. No doubt the humans conditioned Uriel into being so timid.

"It should not matter if people tolerate you or not. If they do not tolerate you, demonstrate your superiority. Then they will have to tolerate you. It is in a people's nature to shun those that are weaker than them, if they have an excuse." Even as he talked though, he realized he was... oddly appreciative of how the priest wanted him around. He supposed it was nice to relax, without constantly fighting against his peers for superiority. Grotar turned his gaze towards where this ceremony would take place. Even among his own people, he was not particularly inclined towards the divine. Orcs, though, their diety gave them the power to crush their enemies. Supposedly. Uriel, though... and to a lesser extend, this entire town... what did they get out of worship?

"You say that you owe this... Sarenrae. What do you owe to this god? He has not given you might or power that I can see. You are still so shunned by your peers that you make friends with the first three strangers that tolerate you. If I were you, I would be asking for more from my god."

The Hellbug
2015-06-10, 11:53 PM
Rose

Rose is disappointed when she hears that Uriel will not actually be involved in the ceremony. She was just getting her hopes up that being part of the tiefling's entourage would make her and her companions privy to some sort of secret temple-dedication ritual. She obviously had never been present for anything of this sort before. You can only be so lucky, after all.

"It should not matter if people tolerate you or not. If they do not tolerate you, demonstrate your superiority. Then they will have to tolerate you. It is in a people's nature to shun those that are weaker than them, if they have an excuse."

Grotar's words bother Rose. She starts forming an argument against his declaration before holding her tongue at the last moment when she realizes that a cleric of Sarenrae would probably have a much better response to it. She hesitantly waits for Uriel's response.

Syekate
2015-06-11, 07:42 AM
A sharp retort, like the crack of distant thunder, slices through the excited crowd as the sun's setting rays paint the western sky. A stray dog that has crawled under a nearby wagon to sleep starts awake, and the buzz of two dozen conversations quickly hushes as all heads turn toward the central podium, where a beaming Father Zantus has taken the stage. He clears his throat, takes a breath to speak, and suddenly a woman's scream slices through the air. A few moments later, another scream rises, then another. Beyond them, a sudden surge of strange new voices rises high-pitched, tittering shrieks that sound not quite human. The crowd parts and something low to the ground races by, giggling with disturbing glee as the stray dog gives a pained yelp and then collapses with a gurgle, its throat cut open from ear to ear. As blood pools around its head, the raucous sound of a strange song begins (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwgOwMVTxec&app=desktop), chanted from shrill, scratchy voices.

The shape that races by and killed the dog is hiding at the edge of a wagon... A single goblin licking blood from its dog slicer as it looks excitedly at the crowd, seeking out a new target.

You are all about 50 feet away from the dark shape and dead dog, with a lot of people in between.

The Hellbug
2015-06-11, 01:22 PM
Rose

The dedication looks like it's actually about to begin as Father Zantus takes the stage with a smile on his face. Rose can feel the anticipation in the crowd, and amongst it she quickly forgets her apprehension at Grotar's words. The woman's shriek breaks the silence, and Rose whips around toward where the cry is coming from. I've never seen a temple dedicated before, but I don't think that's how you do it. Medea is suddenly right at her side, head lowered and fur on the back of her neck bristling. Rose looks closer at where Medea is facing and sees the cruelly butchered stray and the goblin hiding behind the wagon. She has never seen an animal so needlessly and viciously assaulted before.

She stands shocked. What's happening? What is the meaning of this? Where did he come from? After a few moments, the goblin chanting breaks her out of her reverie. She shouts, tugging at Grotar's cloak with one hand and pointing at the assailant with the other, "Goblins!"

rezplz
2015-06-11, 04:15 PM
Grotar knew that kind of scream. He knew it too well. This would be the first time those screams weren't directed at him, however. He stared at the poor dog, and the goblin behind it. That was no fighting dog - the goblin must have butchered it for nothing but its own sadism. For that, the goblin would die. He felt the halfling's small tug and glanced down just long enough to nod at her. "I see it. Stay back. You might be safer." That was all he said before he rushed forward, sometimes having to shoulder check people out of the way. His size alone was not enough to make his way through the panic of the crowd, and he growled to himself in anger at how slow he was going. He took a deep breath of air into his lungs, and bellowed "MOVE!" at the top of his lungs, while pushing yet another person to the side.

Intimidate check to make the crowd move out of the way.

[roll0]

ylvathrall
2015-06-12, 12:06 AM
Kurad

Kurad whips around when he hears the scream, and sees the goblin.

Now, Kurad thinks of himself as a peaceful man, at heart. He's slow to anger, and easy to get along with. At this, though, he gets angry. Goblins attacking a peaceful town? Bad. Doing it on a holy day? Worse; no matter whose religion, he can respect it. Doing it on a day when there are people like him there? Stupid, but just bad luck; he doesn't take it personally.

But to kill a dog while they do it, for no reason other than their own sadistic glee? Now that makes him angry.

"You have made your last mistake, foul monsters!" he roars, taking out his axe. "The heroes of my people have slaughtered you throughout history! Did not Galstak the Iron bring an end to the lives of a hundred of your bravest warriors in a single night? Yes, and my own father, Kaddok Bloodaxe, has slain no fewer than seven of your savage leaders!"

Initiating a raging song. All allies who can hear Kurad's oration can, at the beginning of their turn, choose to accept the effects of the song, which are +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, +1 Will save (morale bonuses), and a -1 to AC. This also prevents affected characters from using most Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills, or abilities which require concentration.

Characters with their own source of rage (e.g., Grotar) can use the stat, Will, and AC modifiers of that ability instead.

Lifeson
2015-06-12, 11:49 AM
Uriel wasn't surprised at this point at Grotar's lines of questioning. For a surety he came from a wildly different background than most of what Uriel has seen, but there was a logic to it nonetheless. Different cultures value different...well, values. Strength of taking what's yours versus Generously sharing in the community. Or even mercy? Would letting a wounded person live be the appropriate mercy, or would finishing the job quickly count instead? Whatever the case, it was sure to make for some philosophy debating later. Uriel noted the look in the halfling's eyes as well, and watched as words were clearly thought to be spoken, but then backed off. To be fair, I was the one who said I owed someone something. If I couldn't substantiate, then why would someone else explain it for me?

But the ceremony was interrupted! Before it even started! That's what we get for a quiet ride in... Uriel thought to himself as he turned in the direction of the scream. He let his two new muscly friends work the crowd to get to the menaces. Realizing that shocked people tended to go crazy from chaos, Uriel worked on a plan to move the people out of the way, and away from the goblins. He told Rose what he was going to do, so that at least one of the other three would be able to co-ordinate, "Rose, I'm going to go up to the podium, and talk to Zantus for a second to see if we can herd everyone into the cathedral for shelter. That, and on the podium I can stand above everyone else and get my crossbow out." With that, Uriel ran up to the podium, and damn anyone who stood in the way.

Upon reaching the podium, Uriel bowed to the father. Partly out of respect, partly catching his breath. "I realize now is not the best time to say I'm back, but I think we need to get everyone inside now. The cathedral is the closest building that doesn't burn, and it should hold everyone who's still in the square. The giant barbarians you see wading through the crowd are with me, and I trust them, myself, and a sorceress to be able to handle the goblins until the militia get roused." On that last note, Uriel drew out his heavy crossbow and began to load it.

Syekate
2015-06-13, 08:31 AM
Two more goblins jump out from behind the wagon to join the first, cackling with glee over the dead dog. After doing a short excited dance, they wreak further havoc by chasing at frightened people, slashing at skirts with wide grins showing off sharp long teeth.

Father Zantus nods with a flabbergasted look on his face. He shouts to the crowd, beckoning them to join him in the temple, and a fair amount of the crowd follows his example, happy for someone in charge to lead them. The rest simply scatter, terrified that if the goblins don't kill them, the half-orc will. In any case, the square is now clear enough that the adventurers, from their various position, now have an open range between them and the three goblins.

Grotar is about 20 feet from the gobbos, Kurad and Rose remain at 50 feet, and Uriel at around 60 feet up on stage, all with clear line of sight. Block initiative, so go ahead and post your actions in any order, and then goblins will go.

The Hellbug
2015-06-13, 09:24 PM
Rose

Rose doesn't know if it's Kurad's rallying cry or just the adrenaline, but she feels the urge somewhere deep inside her to join the two warriors' charge in defense of the village. That urge is quickly put to rest, though, by a mere moment's thought, there are only three of them. By the time I can close the distance for my spell, Grotar and Kurad will have already dispatched them. Also, Grotar's right, in this case I would only be a needless risk. She decides that her skills are best deployed differently for now and whispers to Medea as she begins her arcane gestures, "Keep and eye out for more of those goblins; I don't want more of them interrupting me." With that, she finishes the spell, tracing words into the sky high above the town. Three hundred feet above the town, the words "Goblins attacking, seek shelter" appear in large red letters.

Rose draws her crossbow (move action) and casts silent image (standard action).

HP: 9/9 AC: 13

Spells Used: 1st: 1/6

ylvathrall
2015-06-14, 02:23 PM
Kurad

Inspired by the memory of his ancestors, and the fury rising within him in response to the slaughter of the dog, Kurad charges at the monsters. Bellowing incoherently, he takes a swipe at one of them with his axe, not caring overly much if it leaves him open to the others.

Kurad accepts the effects of the raging song.
Free action: Maintain raging song (2 rounds used)
Full-round action: Charge attack at the first goblin to have appeared. Attack: [roll0]. Critical confirmation (20/x3): [roll1]. (+3 Strength, +2 charge). Damage: [roll2]

HP: 11/11
AC: 10 (13 base, -1 inspired rage, -2 charge)
Condition: Inspired rage

rezplz
2015-06-15, 12:00 AM
Now free from the weakling civilians, Grotar surged forward. The stories of Kurad's ancestors filled him, strengthened him - he allowed that ancestral rage to surge through him. Now I understand, he thought to himself as he raised his blade, The strength of the past! He bellows a scream that echoes Kurad's as his vision burned red, and his muscled bulged. There was only the enemy. There was only his prey. He saw the fear in the weak goblin's eyes as he charged it, and payed it no heed. Before meeting with his prey, then leapt into the air, slashing downward with all of his might.

Accepting Kurad's rage song with my benefits, doing a charge attack against the nearest live goblin.

Attack: [roll0] (+2 from charge)
Crit confirmation: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

New AC: 14. (18 - 2 for charge, -2 for rage)

Lifeson
2015-06-15, 07:17 AM
Crossbow loaded, Uriel heft the weapon to his shoulder and took aim. Aiming past the screaming warriors, Uriel fired a bolt past them to the goblin hiding in the back. Sarenrae forgive me, for I forgot to prepare spells this morning. I should've been more prepared... He thought to himself as he looked around the square to see if there were anymore threats other than the first three. Only three seemed like it'd be too nice.

Heavy Crossbow: [roll0]
Crit confirm (19-20/2x) [roll1]
Perception check: [roll3]

Syekate
2015-06-15, 09:45 PM
The first goblin, dog blood still wet on its lips, turns to face Kurad just as the skald's axe comes swinging around. The goblin's wicked smile turns into a shocked expression as its head is first decapitated at the base of the neck, then with a follow-through backswing batted off the still-standing body using the flat of Kurad's blade. The head makes a crunchy sound as it whacks into a nearby wall, sliding down with a trail of blood. The second goblin narrowly dodges Grotar's attack, and retaliates with its dogslicer. The third goblin grunts as the crossbow bolt punches into its shoulder, but then laughs and crawls up onto the cart behind them, shaking its buttocks in Uriel's general direction with various vulgar gestures.

Attack: [roll0]
Crit Confirm: [roll1]

ylvathrall
2015-06-15, 10:37 PM
Kurad

"You see how such weaklings are welcomed where I hail from!" Kurad shouts at his victim, brandishing his axe. The creature is beyond hearing him, of course, but the others aren't, and in any case it makes a better story this way.

Then he turns and moves to pin the other goblin between himself and Grotar, swiping at it with his axe. He doesn't trust the half-orc as far as he can throw him, but at least for the moment they're on the same side, and he can recognize the tactical value of the position.

Kurad accepts the effects of the raging song.
Free action: Maintain raging song (3 rounds used, 1 round recovered)
Move action: Move to flank the goblin (I'm assuming they're close enough together that a 30' movement is enough to move into position)
Standard action: Attack the flanked goblin. Attack: [roll0]. Crit confirmation (20/x3): [roll1] (+3 Strength, +2 flanking) Damage: [roll2]
Current AC: 12 (13 base, -1 inspired rage)

The Hellbug
2015-06-15, 11:08 PM
Rose

It happened so fast. One moment the goblin was standing there, bracing against Kurad's charge; the next, it's head was crashing into the nearby wall as its body slumped over. She was right, of course. Grotar and Kurad were more than a match for the goblins behind the wagon. Nevertheless, she draws a quarrel from her quiver and carefully loads it into her crossbow, seeming to stare of into the distance past the warriors as she concentrates on maintaining her spell.

Rose concentrates on her illusion to keep it active and uses a move action to load a bolt into her light crossbow.

rezplz
2015-06-15, 11:11 PM
Grotar spared a short glance to the side, grinning in satisfaction as he saw the brutal way that Kurad demolished the goblin. That was the kind of strength that his people respected. That was the kind of brutality that assured victory! He casually knocked the goblin's blade aside as it attempted a poor counter-attack, and then settled his glare on the weakling before him. "You should have been born an orc!" he bellowed at Kurad as they moved to flank the small, doomed creature. He shifted his grip on his falchion, and widened his stance. He brought his blade back, and then surged it forward to the goblin in a reckless swing, aiming to slice across its middle at the same time that Kurad swung.

Continuing to accept the rage song. Attacking the goblin again.

Attack: [roll0] (+2 flanking)
Confirmation [roll1]

Lifeson
2015-06-16, 05:00 PM
Uriel

Honestly, the goblin had nothing on Uriel cursing himself. He mumbles and grumbles about his lack of preparedness as he loads his heavy crossbow.

No spells, and I chose a weapon that takes a full round to reload....

Syekate
2015-06-16, 07:00 PM
The goblin on the cart gets bored of taunting Uriel and jumps off with a clatter, charging at Kurad's unprotected flank.

The goblin facing Grotar dodges the half-orc's second blow, only to be caught in the back by Kurad's axe. It coughs up a lungful of blood, takes one last desperate swing at Grotar, and collapses unconscious in a growing pool of its own blood.

The goblin is at 0 hit points and spends a standard action to attack Grotar, reducing it to -1 hit points.
Attack: [roll3]
Crit Confirm: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Lifeson
2015-06-16, 07:32 PM
Uriel

Finished loading, Uriel took aim at the goblin yet again. He stayed his hand, thinking The warriors seem to have it in order...don't want to hit either of them.

The Hellbug
2015-06-16, 11:09 PM
Rose

Rose sees the second goblin fall, collapsing from its wounds in a last desperate attempt to injure Grotar. This needs to end right now. We need to get a bearing on what's happening. Rose releases the illusion from her concentration, and the warning quickly fades from the sky. Now uninterrupted, she raises her crossbow, aiming at the last goblin. She had never fired at a living creature before, but she had been impressed enough with her own aim when she had practiced firing it at a stump the day after she had purchased it. She takes special care not to hit her allies, though she knows will also make it harder to hit the goblin. Alright Rose, what did the blacksmith say? Breath steady, aim, and...fire!

Ending silent image and firing crossbow at the final goblin, taking a -4 penalty for firing into melee.

attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

She also reloads the crossbow after firing.

HP: 9/9 AC: 13
Healthy

Spells used: 1st: 1/6

ylvathrall
2015-06-16, 11:17 PM
Kurad

Kurad shouts at the goblin as it falls. Another monster defeated, not the greatest achievement to add to his story, but a place to start.

The other creature charges at him, but its swing goes far wide, not even a threat. It does get his attention, though, and he laughs at it. The thing had done him a favor by getting so close. He circles around it, swiping at it with his axe, and positioning himself so that it is between him and Grotar.

Free action: End raging song (3 rounds used, 2 rounds recovered)
Standard action: Attack [roll0], Crit confirmation (20/x3)[roll1], Damage [roll2]
Move action: Move to set up flanking for Grotar

rezplz
2015-06-17, 04:15 PM
Grotar snarled in anger as a second goblin got a lucky dodge on his swing. Curse these weaklings! Still enraged, he knocked the weak strike from the goblin aside with his forearm, not caring at the gash it left in his skin. He grunted in disappointment as the goblin fell on its own, denying him the kill in its final act of pitiful defiance. With disgust, he kicked the corpse aside, setting his eye on the last goblin.

Grotar felt the rage of the ancestors fade, but the stories lingered in the back of his mind. He was determined to not disappoint the strength they had given him, and tapped into his own reserved. He bellowed in anger that was all his own, enraged at these wimpy savages that had no respect for the innocents of the battlefield. "DIE, YOU HONORLESS SHREW!" he roared, and placed himself in flank with Kurad to deliver a mighty blow to the goblin.

Entering rage as a free action. 5/6 rounds left.

HP: 14/17 (+2 HP from rage)
AC: 16 (18 -2 for rage)
Damage: [roll1]
Crit confirmation: [roll2]

Syekate
2015-06-18, 07:05 AM
The final goblin laughs as Grotar's attack once again does no damage, only to receive a large gash from Kurad's axe. He staggers a bit, then attacks Kurad with his dogslicer. Rose's bolt goes skittering against the cobblestones, unnoticed by the combatants.

The Hellbug
2015-06-18, 10:40 AM
Rose

Better than she'd feared, worse than she'd hoped. With another bolt already in place, Rose moves closer to get a better shot at the final goblin, dropping to one knee to help steady her aim. She feels disgust at the goblin's taunting. How can it be so happy in the midst of attacking a peaceful village like Sandpoint and with its two companions dead no less. She pulls the trigger, hoping this shot flies more true than the last.

Rose moves forward 15 ft towards the fight and fires another bolt from her crossbow, again taking a -4 penalty for shooting into melee.

HP: 9/9 AC:13
Spells: 1st 5/6

rezplz
2015-06-18, 02:12 PM
Growing more furious by the second at his failures, Grotar lifts his falchion up high. Just die, damnit! He bellows a wordless scream and swings down hard at the goblin.

4/6 rage rounds left.
Confirmation [roll1]

HP: 14/17
AC: 16

Syekate
2015-06-18, 03:55 PM
The wounded goblin gets a face full of rage-inspired half-orc breath and spittle, and its heart literally stops beating out of fright, at which point the falchion cleaves the stunted creature in twain from head to groin. The two halves collapse in mirror-image twitching heaps of guts.

The adventurers find themselves alone in the square before the cathedral and stage. Sounds of chaos and fighting can be heard echoing through most of the city at this point, the cries of city guardsmen rallying to push back against what sounds like a much larger goblin threat than the three faced so far.

[roll0]

ylvathrall
2015-06-18, 09:13 PM
Kurad

Kurad grunts as the goblin's blade strikes true. Luckily the half-orc cuts the thing in half a moment later, giving him a chance to check on the wound.

Not too bad, he sees with relief. Nasty, painful, but not immediately life-threatening, and it sounds like there's more work to be done before he can take the time to treat it.

"Sounds like there's more of them," he says to the others, hefting his axe. "You have any idea where they are?"

HP: 6/11
Perception to determine where the nearest goblins are: [roll0]

The Hellbug
2015-06-18, 11:32 PM
Rose

Rose lets out a deep breath as the last goblin falls. Though they had each been wounded somewhat, it seems that Kurad and Grotar are mostly fine. Rose approaches the two victorious warriors, and the smell of the goblin blood makes her gag for a moment. Medea bares her teeth at the dead goblins, as if daring them to come back to life to be dispatched again. Rose feels Medea's aggression and takes a moment to get herself together. There are a lot of people who didn't make it into the temple. They won't be safe until the goblins are totally driven form the town.

After getting her thoughts straight, she speaks up, "We need to join up with that militia Uriel mentioned earlier. From the sound of it, there may already be some people trying to drive off the goblins. Joining up with them and working together should make this easier for everybody. Sorry I didn't help more with these three, I couldn't keep up with you big folks, and by the time I arrived you would have already had things taken care of."

Lifeson
2015-06-19, 06:24 AM
Uriel

Leaving his heavy crossbow loaded, Uriel ran to catch up to the rest of the group. The three tiny mutilated bodies already stunk death and decay, though uncleanliness, fecal matter, and a bucket of blood will do that. Noticing the one wound between the two warriors, Uriel chanted the one spell he could cast at the moment. A divine light filed Uriel's hand. Placing it on the wound, the gash closed leaving only the feeling of warm sunlight. "That should do for now. Normally I prefer the natural method, but speed is of the essence right now." Uriel re-drew his crossbow into his hands, checked that it was still loaded, and looked around the square for any more of the tiny terrors. Rose's option of joining the militia did seem sound, but something about this situation worried Uriel. Normally goblins didn't get this far into town without help.

And if they had they help, the goblins could be anywhere in town.

Spells per day: 1/2 (None prepped, 1 slot out of 2 converted to Cure Light Wounds: [roll0] on Kurad)
Perception check to see more goblins: [roll1]

rezplz
2015-06-19, 08:11 PM
Grotar let his anger flow away from him, and took just a moment to catch his breath. He looked down at the halfling as she apologized. To try to fight with your size would have been foolish. Staying back was the right thing to do." He listened to the sounds of battle, knowing that the fighting was not done yet. And as long as the fighting wasn't done, he wasn't either. Even though his body was tired and weak from the rage he had put himself through, he would continue. He listened for a moment, trying to figure out where the fighting seemed closest. "It is echoing as if the fighting is everywhere. The goblins must have somehow got themselves organized." As he spoke, he started moving towards where it seemed like the fighting was closest. He turned his gaze to Kurad. "You fought well. Join me if you want." He then turned his gaze to the demonspawn and the halfling. "You should hide in the church with the rest of these people. The fighting will only get worse."

Rage rounds: 5/6
Fatigued for 4 rounds
perception check: [roll0]

The Hellbug
2015-06-20, 12:52 AM
Rose

"You should hide in the church with the rest of these people. The fighting will only get worse."

"I can take care of myself, and you may even be glad you have me," Rose responds, pointedly loading another bolt into her crossbow. She then continues in a tone of voice that suggests she won't be convinced otherwise, "I know you handled those three alright, but you would've been in trouble if there had been a few more. No buts, I'm coming."

Lifeson
2015-06-20, 06:06 AM
]"You should hide in the church with the rest of these people. The fighting will only get worse."[/COLOR]

"I believe you had questions for me you wanted to ask," Uriel quipped, going for tactful reversal as opposed to Rose's refusal, "And don't simply just wave us off. On the one hand, you would wish us to be better in a combat situation. What better time to get practice than here in the midst of it." Hearing the little crossbow of Rose's, tiny in comparison to his own (But easier to reload, he'd imagine!), it was followed up with, "I think we'll stay out of the melee at least."

ylvathrall
2015-06-20, 05:10 PM
Kurad

"I won't deny you your chance at glory," Kurad agrees. "But we should move quickly, I think, or all the goblins will be dead before we get there."

Although he privately thinks that the crossbows are a somewhat ridiculous affectation. The halfling apparently has some form of magic at her disposal, and the priest must have powerful magic as well to have healed him like that. Who, with powers like that at their disposal, would use a crossbow? Especially when, as far as he can tell, neither of them is a very good shot.

Syekate
2015-06-20, 08:14 PM
It is clear at this point that chaos has taken reign in the village Sandpoint. All through the streets, goblins are running amok, singing and slashing indiscriminately at anyone who might be near. Just as the small band is about to rush off looking for another fight, a loud boom is heard from the south side of the square, where a cart is now sending up flames dozens of feet in the air.

There are four goblins singing and dancing around the burning wagon wielding torches.

[roll0]

The Hellbug
2015-06-21, 12:09 AM
Rose

Rose turns in surprise at the exploding cart. While there is no question that the goblins must be responsible for this new development, Rose, squinting, can't make out the actual culprits. What could have been in that cart to cause such a bang?, she wonders, as Medea, who does notice the four torch wielding goblins, unsuccessfully tries to warn her master of the exact nature of the threat with a quick yip.

ylvathrall
2015-06-21, 04:15 AM
Kurad

"Ah," Kurad says, turning towards the explosion. "Or they can come to us instead."

Squinting against the light of the fires, he easily sees that there are four more of the little monsters dancing around the burning wagon like idiots. He grins and moves to a position where he can reach them quickly, while also keeping out of the way of the others in the square. He might be able to attack the things sooner by charging from where he's standing, but coordinating things so that all of them can attack at once seems more practical overall.

"Foolish creatures, your end has come!" he shouts at them, partially to scare the monsters and partially in case any of his comrades somehow fails to see them. "Do you imagine that four will succeed where three have failed? Then you are mistaken! I will send you to meet your ancestors today!"

Intimidate check to demoralize: [roll0] (additional +4 if Kurad is larger than the goblin)

Lifeson
2015-06-21, 04:20 PM
Uriel

Hearing the boom, Uriel turned and brandished his crossbow towards the thick smoke and fire. Unable to pierce through the smoke yet, He stayed his hand rather than wasting the bolt. More goblins, no doubt. But I'd rather hit them then just scare them. Instead, he placed a hand on Grotar's shoulder. Divine sunlight passed from Uriel's hand again, sweeping over Grotar once. Uriel then explained for the superstitious half-orc, "You shouldn't feel tired anymore. Quite the opposite in fact."

Restorative Touch used, remove fatigued condition from Grotar, 5 more uses.

rezplz
2015-06-21, 11:06 PM
Grotar squinted, raising a hand to shield his orcish eyes from the bright explosion. Stunned by the light, he could not see through the smoke. Kurad, however, seemed to identify the culprit: More goblins. He tried to shake the fatigue from his arms, but they still felt heavy - no matter. He would fight, tired or not. Just as he was about to move forward, he felt a hand on his shoulder. Energy surged into him, and he stood a bit straighter. Compared to how he felt a second ago, his blade was light, and he felt the adrenaline of battle return to him. He looked to his side, and nodded at Uriel in thanks. Perhaps these two will be useful after all, if they can stay out of the worst of combat.

Grotar still could not see the goblins with his stunned eyes, but he did not need to see them to charge into battle. "Together, then. They will stand no chance against us!" While Kurad cowed the goblins into submission, Grotar ran towards the burning wagon, intending to charge the first goblin he saw.

Syekate
2015-06-22, 07:49 AM
The goblins stop their dancing and stare dead-eyed at the adventurers, caught off guard by the large Shoanti shouting threats and an equally giant half-orc barreling down at them. As the initial burst of flame dies down, everyone can see them, three goblins waving torches gleefully while a fourth snaps its whip in the air as it belts out the goblin song louder than any other. Caught off guard in the middle of their merry-making, the adventurers have the upper hand.

Surprise round over, you guys have upper initiative, so you go, then the gobbos. Rose/Uriel/Kurad are 60 feet from the goblins, Grotar 20 feet.

rezplz
2015-06-22, 10:06 AM
Gotar smiled as he charged, fueled both by Uriel's restorative magic and his own rage at these little abominations. Once more he tapped into his anger and let it course through every part of his body. His eyes changed into an angry glare, and his mouth uttered a wordless, bear-like yell. He charged the goblin closest to him, cutting at it with all of his might.

Activate RAGE! 4/6 rounds left.
AC: 14 (-2 rage, -2 charge)
Confirmation: [roll1]
Crit damage: [roll3]

The Hellbug
2015-06-22, 12:57 PM
Rose

Go hide in the cathedral? In truth, there's a not insignificant part of Rose that does want to follow Grotar's suggestion. However, the mere thought of the defenseless villagers scattering at the first sign of danger helps her nerves. If we're not going to deal with these goblins, who is? Haven't seen any signs of the militia. Those savages may find their way to the cathedral if we don't deal with them right now. Rose starts following Grotar, albeit more cautiously. "Medea, with me!" she shouts and begins to position herself for a magical attack on the goblins.

Rose uses both of her actions to move 40 feet towards the goblins, staying just out of Kurad's way if he wants to charge past her. Medea moves with Rose and delays an action to attack any goblin that approaches them.

Spells: 1st 5/6

Lifeson
2015-06-22, 01:40 PM
Uriel

Uriel smiled a little when the giant half-orc surged forward as if they had just started the day. "And there's more where that came from my angry friend," he muttered as he shouldered his crossbow to fire once more. Seeing a goblin dressed and armed differently than the rest, especially with a whip, Uriel settled his sights on that one and squeezed the trigger. I'd like a shot in the mouth to shut that one up. If this is going to be a regular thing, I'm going to have to work on my aim.

Crit confirm: [roll1]
Bolts: 18 left

ylvathrall
2015-06-22, 06:27 PM
Kurad

Kurad hefts his axe and charges at the nearest goblin. They do not know to fear him yet, it seems. No matter; they will learn.

Full-round action: charge attack [roll0]
Crit confirmation (20/x3): [roll2]

Current AC: 11 (13, -2 from charge)
Current HP: 11/11

Syekate
2015-06-22, 07:41 PM
Kurad's blow misses while Grotar appears to be consistently swinging to decapitate a creature about two feet taller than your average goblin. Uriel's bolt thuds into the burning cart just next to the singing goblin's head. The three goblins with torches retaliate by thrusting at the oncomers gleefully with burning torches. The goblin with the whip snaps it at Grotar's legs in an attempt to trip him, all the while singing their manic song.

Two goblins flank Kurad:
Damage: [roll2] + 1 fire

Damage: [roll5] + 1 fire

A third goblin attacks Grotar:
Attack: [roll6]
Crit Confirm: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8] + 1 fire

While the whip attacks from a 15 foot distance in attempt to trip:
Attack: [roll9]
Crit Confirm: [roll10]
Damage: [roll11] nonlethal

EDIT: Luckily, the goblins are equally incompetent...

The Hellbug
2015-06-22, 10:17 PM
Rose

Rose watches the melee unfold as she finishes her approach. While it appears that no combatant was able to inflict lasting damage on anyone else, the goblins do seem suitably distracted by Kurad and Grotar's presence to allow Rose to catch up unmolested. She pauses for a moment, thinking about trying to help dislodge the goblin that is flanking Kurad but thinks better of it. Finally, a chance to show my power. Go hide in the church? I'll show you I can carry my weight, Grotar. Don't screw this up, Rose. She stops about 10 feet to her allies' left, closes her eyes, and begins casting her spell. As she finishes the incantation, she hurls towards the goblins a bit of colored sand, which gives way to a burst of light and color designed to overwhelm their senses!

Rose finishes moving forward to 10 feet to the left of our other heroes. From there, she casts color spray at the goblins. It's a 15 ft cone so it should be able to hit at least one of the goblins in front of Kurad and Grotar and the whip-wielding leader without harming her allies. The third goblin is up to you, but it obviously doesn't hit the flanker. I'll let you roll the durations of the spell since I don't know the goblins' hit dice. It's a DC 14 will save.

Spells: 1st 4/6

ylvathrall
2015-06-23, 12:54 AM
Kurad

Kurad roars ferociously at the creature, bringing his axe back into position to strike. He's angry at his own failure on the previous swing, more than the goblins' pitiful attempts to harm him. A Shoanti hero is not supposed to miss his target, doubly so when that target is a lowly goblin.

He is angry, though, and it likely doesn't matter to the goblins what the reason for that anger is. He's still going to cut them in half from head to tail. He does at least retain the presence of mind to step out from between them afterward, moving to position himself between the goblins and Rose. Tactics are tactics, and even a goblin is smart enough to get close to the mage with a crossbow if given the chance.

Standard action: Attack the flanking goblin that wasn't in the area of the spell.

Move action (5-foot step?): Move to put himself between the goblins and Rose, if possible avoiding any attacks of opportunity.

Current AC: 13

Lifeson
2015-06-23, 06:13 AM
Uriel

It's like a comedy of errors here... Uriel thought to himself as he winched another bolt into his crossbow, I'm glad we're not getting hurt, but I'd like to hurt them...

Spending a full-round action to reload. Not moving.

rezplz
2015-06-24, 07:25 PM
Distracted by his rage, he barely registered the explosion of color. He was able to attribute it to the halfling, but he was not sure yet if there would be anything useful from it. He swung again at the goblin, hoping that it would be distracted enough by the color to make for an easier mark.

3/6 rounds left of rage.
AC: 16
Confirm: [roll2]

Syekate
2015-06-25, 07:33 PM
A dazzling spray of color emits from the halfling, enveloping three of the goblins. While the whip-wielding scourge shakes the effects of Rose's magic off, the goblins attacking Kurad and Grotar's fronts both fall to the ground, helpless. Just as their eyes close and they escape to goblin slumber land, each is struck hard by a mighty blade. Kurad's greataxe bites deep, but Grotar's falchion just about disembowels the unconscious goblin, bringing it close to death. The remaining goblins suddenly realize that their little game is about to turn into a massacre, so the whip master sings all the louder and weaves a spell, chuckling while it mutters some crude joke directed at Grotar, while the other goblin drops its torch in favor of a dogslicer, giving Kurad a menacing glare.

Two goblins unconscious, one bloodied, the other near death. One goblin attacks Kurad:
Crit confirm: [roll1]

The warchanter goblin casts hideous laughter on Grotar, DC 12.

The Hellbug
2015-06-26, 12:00 AM
Rose

Rose finishes her spell and sees the two goblins fall, barely concealing her relief that the spell was effective. The singing goblin with the whip is still standing, though, and Kurad is still one of them. "Medea, give Kurad a hand," orders Rose, and the fox slips off into a position to flank the goblin that is still standing, biting at him as she does so. Rose, meanwhile, levels her crossbow at the spellcaster and lets a bolt fly!

Medea moves to flank the still-standing goblin for Kurad, and attacks him while she's at it. Rose fires her crossbow at the leader and reloads it.

Rose attack: [roll0]
Medea attack (including +2 from flank): [roll2]
damage: [roll3]

Spells: 1st 3/6

Medea: HP: 4/4 AC:16

rezplz
2015-06-26, 04:52 PM
The back of his mind barely registered a slight amusement before Grotar smashed it down. He lifted his bloodied blade in the air and pointed it at the whip using goblin. "This is not the time for petty jokes! This is the time of your death!" as he yelled, he brought his blade back and to his side and ran forward. He charged straight at the goblin, and if able to get to him, swings sideways at the goblin's midsection

Rage: 3/6 rounds (1 round recovered)
AC: 14
CMD: 18

ylvathrall
2015-06-26, 05:20 PM
Kurad

Kurad gasps as the dogslicer cuts into him, and turns to face the goblin responsible with a grimace. He pauses when he sees Medea standing behind the thing, then attacks with even greater vigor. The rest of the town can live or die as they please, and even the other members of the caravan are only moderately more interesting. But he likes the fox, and he has no intention of allowing this goblin to eat her.

Attack the standing goblin: [roll0]

AC: 13
HP: 8/11

Lifeson
2015-06-26, 06:26 PM
Uriel

Having reloaded his crossbow, he picked between the two standing targets: the screaming bard under the louder half-orc, or the other standing between Kurad and Medea. I think she's a little too fragile to be in the middle of this...though I appreciate the help, let's get out of there, he thought to himself as he aimed and fired at the standing not-singing goblin.

Attack roll: [roll0] on the goblin between Kurad and Medea.

Syekate
2015-06-26, 07:20 PM
The goblin warchanter eeks out one last note before Grotar's falchion comes bearing down on it. He falls in a pool of blood, last breaths gurgling from a sliced neck. The other goblin shrieks as Medea nips at her heels, and she sees the warchanter go down. The emotion on her face is plain as day: fear. She manages to narrowly dodge both Kurad's axe and Uriel's bolt, and looks the Shoanti straight in the eyes with a scared expression and wide eyes. "Whelp." The goblin drops her dogslicer and runs away as fast as her little legs will take her, leaving an exposed back.

The last goblin runs, provoking attack of opportunity from Kurad and Medea. Two goblins are down and dying (three counting from the first encounter), with one knocked unconscious from the color spray.

ylvathrall
2015-06-27, 02:54 AM
Kurad

Kurad swats at the last goblin as it runs off, hoping to bring it down, then turns to address the others in the square. Best not to chase that one if it's still running, he thinks. Not alone, not when I don't know how many of them there are, and especially not when there are people with crossbows right here. That's how Akrem Oakheart died, after all, got between his own archers and the enemy.

"There will be more of them," he says to the others. "We should not stay here longer than necessary."

Attack: [roll0] (assuming flanking, -2 if not)

Lifeson
2015-06-27, 08:20 AM
Uriel

...I haven't hit anything at all today. he thought to himself as he winched in another bolt. I suppose I should be glad I've only given life rather than take it away...even if it wasn't from a lack of trying. Just another thing to work on.

The Hellbug
2015-06-27, 11:09 AM
Rose

As the last goblin turns to run, Rose reaches out to Medea's mind. She feels her urge to chase down the goblin, to help lay it low. "Just let it go," Rose commands, also hoping that the rest will take her suggestion. She turns her attention to the goblin's fallen comrades. Seeing that one of them is still mostly unharmed, she asks her fellow adventurers, "does anyone have any rope? Even if we can't stay around here for much longer, we can't just let this one run free when he wakes up. My spell mostly works by surprise and by merely overwhelming the victim's senses; it's not a long-term solution. He'll be up as quick as if he'd just been knocked on the head."

rezplz
2015-06-29, 11:20 AM
Grotar

Grotar lets his sword hang low, his sweaty body sagging after the exertion he forced it through. He watched the goblin run, and decided to let it be. Let the survivor warn her friends of us! They might simply run the next time that we meet.

With a grunt, he lifted the suddenly-heavy blade to let it rest on his shoulder before walking over to meet the rest of the group. He dug his hempen rope out of his bag, dropping it in front of the unconscious goblin. "We should take this one prisoner. He may tell us how they got so mobilized." That said, he laid his sword gently on the ground and knelt in front of the goblin, doing a quick job of tying him up. Once done, he picked up the goblin and his sword. "We need to move. There are still more goblins to fight."

Syekate
2015-06-29, 07:22 PM
The goblin goes running down a side street as fast as its legs will carry it, hasty to be free of the towering murderous beasts that cut down its kin. The sounds of battle are more distant than previously, swords clattering and goblins singing and shrieking punctuated by the rallying cries of the town guard. In the festival area, the fighting is largely done. One goblin appears to be stuffing itself with scraps spread across a luncheon table, while another jumps off the roof of a building, only to break its leg. The plaza is scattered with corpses, mostly goblin, but a few unfortunate villagers as well. Suddenly, a loud scream accompanied by frantic barking and snarling can be heard from a northward direction.

The Hellbug
2015-06-30, 12:57 PM
Rose

Rose breathes a sigh of relief as Grotar produces the rope and begins tying up the unconscious goblin. The massive warrior had seemed only moments before to be a whirling terror, untouched by reason, and she had worried that he was going to execute the helpless creature. Foul though they are, Rose shudders at the thought of executing one of the goblins once their immediate threat is ended.

The halfling looks around at the rest of the square and surveys the destruction that the goblins have already caused. She shakes her head and begins to respond to Grotar's suggestion to move onward, "but don't we need to see what we can do to help the wounded? Father Zantus is just up at the..." The scream and baying cut her off. Medea, still at her side, puts her head down, anxious at what could be one of her natural predators. Rose is silent, waiting for someone else to deliver a course of action.

ylvathrall
2015-06-30, 01:54 PM
Kurad

"You see?" Kurad says, turning immediately to the source of the scream. "There is more work to be done before these foul creatures learn to fear the consequences of their folly. Let us show them why such as they should flee before us. So has it always been, in the days of my father, and his father, and his father before him."

He strides purposefully in the direction of the noise, fully confident that the rest will follow behind him.

Assuming that the commotion appears to be relatively nearby (~90 feet), Kurad will initiate a raging song to inspire rage as he walks. Rounds used: 3/6

Lifeson
2015-07-01, 03:03 PM
Uriel

Crossbow reloaded again, Uriel took stock of the party. All things considered, they were in excellent shape, assuming Grotar would have enough time to catch his breath. "I like the idea of keeping one around tied up. This does seem highly organized...." He was also going to reply to Rose had the scream not entered the conversation. Kurad had gone off in the general direction, one Uriel had every intention of following, but he did have one question first: "Grotar, are you good for one last fight? Just ask if you need an assist, any time."

rezplz
2015-07-01, 10:16 PM
With a grunt, Grotar adjusted the goblin so that it was hanging over his shoulder. He would have to drop it quickly should battle commence, but that didn't worry him. "The wounded can tend to themselves. We can check on them after the threat is eliminated." He forces his tired body forwards, walking alongside Kurad. He called back to Rose, over his shoulder, "You can tend to the wounded if you wish. I will fight as long as there are goblins to fight. You are free to join us; your colors came in handy."

Grotar nodded in thanks to Uriel as they walked, but he could feel his breath returning to him as he walked. He still stood tall, and his strides were long, despite the sweat and weariness that he felt. "I will fight one more, and many more after that. Should I need your blessing, I will call for it."

The Hellbug
2015-07-02, 01:36 AM
Rose

Rose has to admire Grotar's stamina and mental fortitude; he looks as though he's really tiring but continues to press on, even taking their prisoner in tow as well. She beams at his compliment despite herself, knowing that the praise of the normally silent orc warrior doesn't come lightly. With one last look back at the carnage in the square, Rose says, "I don't actually have any skills to help the wounded here, and I don't think Kurad can deal with whatever that was on his own. Wait! I've got an idea!"

Rose quickly kneels on the ground and draws a quill and a piece of parchment from her backpack. She lays it on the ground and writes a quick message: Fr. Zantus, wounded in the cathedral's square. Goblins momentarily pushed back. Keep an eye on Medea here. Finishing the note, she rolls up the parchment and gives it to Medea with instructions, "Take this to the priest in the temple; he'll be able to help any survivors here. And stay safe--I'll catch up with you later." The fox takes the note in her mouth gingerly and scampers off towards the temple. Rose watches her go before turning to follow Kurad.

Syekate
2015-07-02, 07:30 PM
As the PCs race to the north, unconscious goblin in tow, they can easily find the source of the barking by following a frantic cry for help. They find themselves just east of the White Deer; all of the action is taking place just within Sandpoint's North Gate. The cry for help appears to be originating from behind a barrel to your north, across the way from the real action. A hunting dog is facing down a goblin mounted on a creature resembling a cross between a hairless rat and a dog. Its beady eyes stare back intently at the hunting dog, sharp teeth protruding from a slavering jaw on a grotesquely wrinkled bald head. Just as the adventurers arrive, the hound, which is badly bloodied and appears to be making a valiant last stand, makes a lunge at the mounted goblin, only to be viciously cut down by the creature's horsechopper. As it falls, three other goblins, formerly cowering in the shadows, run forward, dancing with glee over the dead hound.

The creatures are distracted and your company has the benefit of being partially hidden behind a stack of crates about 80 feet away. The goblin held captive appears to be coming to slowly, making groggy sounds as it regains consciousness. The surprise is yours this time: What do you do?

ylvathrall
2015-07-02, 10:28 PM
Kurad

At the sight of the dog's death, Kurad growls quietly to himself. Many things can be forgiven; this, he thinks, is not one of them. "Come," he says, stepping out from behind the crates. "Let us show them no mercy, for they have demonstrated that they deserve none."

For his move action (I'm guessing this is a surprise round) Kurad will move out into a position from which he can charge the goblins. As a free action he will maintain the raging song. Syekate, my assumption is that one round was wasted while moving to this position, leaving a total of 4/6 rounds used; let me know if this is incorrect.

The Hellbug
2015-07-03, 12:09 AM
Rose

"Where are they all coming from?" Rose asks, before trying to follow as close as possible behind Kurad and Grotar,And where is the militia? We haven't seen a single sign of them yet. She then encourages her companions, perhaps trying to make up for her nervousness at the lack of Medea's presence, "Don't worry about their numbers, I'll try to stop any of them from getting behind you with my magic, just like the last ones." A quick look at her, however, can not help but spot her nervousness as she bites her lip; she may not be as confident as her words make her appear.

Assuming this is a surprise round, just move 20ft towards gobbos, folllowing Kurad.

Lifeson
2015-07-03, 11:25 AM
Uriel

Letting the screaming Shoanti take their attention, Uriel settled his sights on the lead goblin's mount. I hope this hits. I don't want Kurad to start tales of my misses. Bracing his weapon on the barrels, Uriel took his shot.

Attack roll: [roll0]

rezplz
2015-07-03, 01:37 PM
Grotar noted the halfling's bravery, despite the fear on her face. He nodded at her. "They will not pass us." He let the goblin drop from his shoulder, confident that the ropes that bound it would do their job. He then forced his body forward, holding his blade in both hands. "No mercy for the goblins!"

Free action to drop the goblin, move action to go forward 20 feet.

Syekate
2015-07-03, 08:19 PM
The goblins take joy in playing with the dead dog's body, when suddenly a crossbow bolt goes skittering across the cobblestones past their merriment. As a group, all four look up, and see three figures headed in their direction. Wicked grins of sharp teeth slowly spread on their devious faces. The goblin atop his goblin dog mount draws his bow, shouting commands to the three others as he notches an arrow to the bowstring. Firing at one of the larger targets, the other three goblins charge forward, shouting goblin gibberish and wielding wicked dogslicers.

The goblins won initiative, so they will be attacking first, followed by you lot. Three charge, two vs. Kurad, one vs. Grotar. (Sorry, Rose, but you just don't look very threatening.) The commander shoots an arrow at Grotar.

VS Kurad

VS Grotar
Attack: [roll6]
Crit Confirm: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8]

Arrow VS Grotar
Attack: [roll9]
Crit Confirm: [roll10]
Damage: [roll11]

ylvathrall
2015-07-03, 10:22 PM
Kurad

Kurad grunts in pain as both of the goblins' weapons strike home. This, he knows, is not the minor injury of earlier in the battle; they have hit something vital. He is swaying on his feet as he brings his axe into position again, and it is only the thought of how ashamed his tribe would be for him to fall to goblins that lets him swing it again.

Free action: Maintain raging song (Used: 5/6 rounds)
Standard action: Attack one of the nearby goblins
Crit damage: [roll]2d12+8[roll]

Current HP: 1/12 (factoring in Con boost from inspired rage)
Current AC: 12 (13 base, -1 inspired rage)

Lifeson
2015-07-04, 08:08 AM
Uriel

This I believe is the concept of Karma, Uriel noted, between his miss and Kurad being hit. As he ran towards the action, he thought to himself: I will have to remember to stay closer. Next time, Kurad, I won't let you get so hurt. Brandishing his holy symbol in his tail, Uriel prepared another healing spell. "By Sarenrae's will, you're not done yet!"

Move+Convert spell slot to cure light wounds (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19494237&postcount=1145) (8 points, link provided), 2/3 empty 1st level spell slots used.

The Hellbug
2015-07-04, 12:18 PM
Rose

Rose gasps as the goblins plunge their dogslicers into Kurad. "Kurad!" she squeaks. He stays on his feet, but it doesn't look like he can fight the goblins much longer in his current state. Rose was planning on sitting back and letting Grotar and Kurad carry the brunt of the fight against this group of goblins, but that clearly is not going to work any longer. Inspired by Kurad's continued chanting, Rose takes up a position flanking the goblins and lets loose her spell again, knowing that Kurad's life may depend on her actions here.

Rose moves (she was only 10 feet behind Kurad) to a position 10 feet away from the closest goblins flank and uses color spray on the attacking goblins. She's pretty exposed here, but she should be able to get into a position to hit all of them from this close except the bow-wielding one, but that's for you to know, Syekate. Save DC is 14.

Perhaps acting recklessly.

Spells remaining: 1st: 3/6

rezplz
2015-07-05, 05:04 AM
Grotar

Grotar sidestepped the goblin's clumsy swing, and felt his armor narrowly deflect the arrow from the second goblin. He bellowed in triumph, but then looked to his side. Kurad was gravely injured, kept standing by sheer willpower alone. Yet he was still swinging. Grotar admired the warrior spirit, and decided then that he could not let such a spirit fall. He was more surprised by the halfling, however - she leapt into the fray to save the warrior, despite being so weak himself. He did not understand the logic, but he could finally feel it. The camaraderie that must have kept these weaker races alive - the desire to protect each other that he had never seen among his own people. "Stay behind me!" he shouted at his adjacent allies, and he let Kurad's song overpower his fatigue. He attacked the closest goblin with his might.

Accepting the raging song. Still fatigued. (I think? Hasn't been long since the last fight)

AC: 15 (-2 rage, -1 fatigue)
damage: [roll2]
crit damage: [roll3]

Syekate
2015-07-05, 09:18 PM
Suddenly the tides turn in Kurad's favor. As he receives a healing boost, his axe connects with the skull of the goblin on his right, leaving the creature collapsed and dying at his feet. Meanwhile, as flashing colors spew from Rose's fingertips, the goblin to Kurad's left succumbs and collapses into unconscious slumber. Meanwhile, Grotar's goblin deftly side-steps the half-orc's falchion and slashes in return at the urging of its commander. The goblin commander on his mount sees the magic that Rose has performed, and decides that the halfling may be a bigger threat than first realized, firing his next arrow at her while his mount below is bristling, ready for a chance to go in for the charge.

One goblin dying, one unconscious. Not bad!

VS Grotar:

Arrow shot at Rose:

The Hellbug
2015-07-05, 11:51 PM
Rose

"Uggh," Rose gasps in pain as the arrow slams into her thigh. She falls to one knee and has to steady herself with one of hands on the ground to keep from totally falling. She looks down and sees the arrow sticking there and feels dizzy for a moment, wishing that Medea were there to help her through this. I don't know what I was thinking would happen. None of the stories talk about this. Looks like Kurad's going to be fine though. She isn't willing to trust her weight to the leg yet, but she looks up at the goblin on the mount, ready to charge. Rose only has enough energy left for one more spell, but she's going to make it count.

Readying action to cast color spray on the mount and goblin when they charge. Taking out either should really lessen the blow. Save DC is still 14.

HP: 5/9 AC: 13

Spells: 1st: 1/4

They don't teach you how to take an arrow in sorcerer school

ylvathrall
2015-07-07, 09:15 PM
Kurad

Kurad roars with satisfaction as the goblin collapses beneath his axe. It may have injured him, but he thinks his return blow was more than sufficient to pay it back, and truly worthy of a Shoanti warrior. The cleric's healing magic pours into him a moment later, closing the wounds that they dealt and leaving him nearly whole.

The other goblin near him is still alive, but it seems to have been struck down by the halfling's magic, and that makes it a concern that can safely be left for later. The mounted creature, in addition to being the apparent leader of the group, is also the one that killed the dog, and so it is that creature that he chooses to prioritize. He tenses himself and then charges into the fray, swinging ferociously.

Free action: Maintain raging song (5/6 rounds used, 3/6 rounds recovered)
Full-round action: charge attack against the goblin dog.
Attack: [roll0] (+2 charge)

HP: 9/12 (counting Con boost)
AC: 10

rezplz
2015-07-08, 06:03 AM
Grotar

Seeing Kurad keep their leader occupied, Grotar kept his attention on the dodgy goblin in front of him. He pivoted, putting himself between the goblin and Rose, just in case the goblin got any ideas. As he finished pivoting, he swung at the goblin with a wordless yell.

damage: [roll2]

Lifeson
2015-07-10, 10:46 AM
Uriel

Knowing the warriors will pay the goblins in kind, Uriel focused on the opposite. He could heal, even if he couldn't hurt. Rushing over to Rose's side, holy symbol still in tail, he prepared his last healing spell for the day. "You're going to be okay," he said in his 'bedside manner' (Still a work in progress).

Converting spell slot to CLW, 0/3 1st lvl spells.
HP Restored: [roll0]

Syekate
2015-07-10, 01:03 PM
Typical raiding. It's all fun and games, until somebody loses a dog. The goblin commando watches from afar as its last underling is cut down by Grotar's falchion, and has but seconds to react as Kurad comes charging in. The goblin dog squeals like a dying rat as it is cleaved by Kurad's axe. The goblin jumps from its falling mount and manages to land on its feet. As it does so, it draws a wickedly sharp-looking horsechopper, a long pole with a combination blade and hook on one end. The goblin takes a step back and swipes at Kurad, keeping its weapon between them. Its eyes, once full of carnal glee, now express the carnal fear of a trapped animal.

One goblin left! It takes a 5 foot step backwards, uses Move to draw the horsechopper, and attacks Kurad.

The Hellbug
2015-07-11, 10:32 AM
Rose

Rose winces and draws in a sharp intake of breath as Uriel removes the arrow from her thigh, but seconds later, the wound almost entirely closes after being bathed in the healing light from the tiefling's hand. Still breathing heavily, she whispers a quick, "Thanks," to her healer before raising her crossbow once again. The goblin's polearm is useful for keeping its opponents at bay, but it has the unintended side-effect of making Rose's next shot easier since she doesn't have to worry about hitting Kurad. As she fires, a small doubt pops into her mind, that's the last of Uriel's magic if he was telling the truth, and hopefully this is the last of the goblins.

Fear my new and improved +3 crossbow shot! Rose fires and reloads this turn.

crit confirm: [roll2]

Spells: 1st: 1/4

Hopefully we don't need that heal later...

ylvathrall
2015-07-13, 01:36 AM
Kurad

Kurad nods grimly as the dog falls. He feels no joy in putting down an animal, but sometimes unpleasant tasks are still necessary.

The goblin's attack does land, but it's a glancing blow, barely even cutting skin. Any joy or excitement Kurad felt in this fight ended when he was forced to kill the dog, but he still knows what must be done, and he will not hesitate to do so. He steps forward and cuts at it with his axe.

Free action: end raging song. Rounds used: 4/6. Rounds recovered: 4/6
Move action: close distance to goblin, if possible setting up so that Grotar can charge and/or flank.
Standard action: attack.

Current HP: 6/11
Current AC: 13

rezplz
2015-07-14, 02:04 AM
With a loud grunt, Grotar lifted his falchion into the air and the back of the blade landed on his shoulder. He panted, feeling energy almost returned to him, but he had not yet caught his breath. His body was sore, and he sagged a little bit, sweat dropping from his brow onto the ground. His arm still bled and cried in pain, but he forced it to be silent. He would make one more charge. He glared down his enemy. He was too tired to tap into his own rage, and he felt the inspiration leave him. He refused to falter though - he carried on through sheer force of will. "DIE"! he roared, forcing a burst of adrenaline as he moved forward, swinging what he hoped would be a finishing blow at the goblin leader.

Move and attack the goblin leader.
Last round of being fatigued.
HP: 12/15
AC: 17

Confirmation: (18-20 X2) [roll1]

Lifeson
2015-07-14, 08:59 AM
Uriel

Even if he was a 'commando' by Goblin standards, Uriel was sure that the outnumbered goblin would fall momentarily. He looked over the rest of the scene: the hunting dog is not going anywhere. However, from what he could tell, the owner was still cowering, if only roughed up.

As for himself, he had some affliction-curing ability left, an unloaded crossbow, and the weakest grip on a scimitar Sarenrae has ever seen (Though not from a lack of conviction!). So, what does one do? Something unorthodox that no one sees coming. Rushing to the goblin, Uriel picked up two handfuls of dirt and sand. When he got within five feet of the thing, promptly threw it in the goblin's face in an attempt to blind it, complete with "Eat Sandpoint!"

Move action and Dirty Track combat maneuver to blind the Goblin for a round.
[roll0]
AC: 16 (Shield still undrawn, just noticed. :smalltongue:)
HP: 9/9

Syekate
2015-07-14, 08:38 PM
The last standing goblin grunts as Rose's crossbow bolt punches into its gut. It easily dodges Kurad's swing while parrying Grotar's charge when suddenly a clod of dirt goes flying by its right ear. The goblin appears too stupid to know when it's beat, however, and takes another step back, slashing again at Kurad.

rezplz
2015-07-15, 02:51 PM
Grotar felt the well of fury within him overflow when he saw Kurad take another injury. He would not allow such a warrior spirit to fall now! "You face an Orc Warrior now, goblin!" his fury burst from within him, expelling his earlier fatigue. His blade once again became light in the air, powered by his red-hot anger. He shifted his position to stand between himself and the two casters, knowing that this goblin would not pass him while Grotar still stood. With a wordless battle cry, he lifted his falchion straight into the air, and swung it directly at the goblin's head.

fatigue ended, Entering RAGE! 2/6 rounds left.
AC: 16 (-2 from rage)

Confirmation (18-20 x2): [roll1]

The Hellbug
2015-07-15, 02:54 PM
Rose

"Kurad!" Rose shrieks as the big man falls under the goblin leader's assault. She strains to see if the Shoanti is still alive before dropping her crossbow and advancing on the goblin, slinging her last spell at the stubborn creature.

You've all seen it before; it's another color spray! Save DC is still 14.

HP: 8/9 AC: 13

No more spells. :smalleek:

Syekate
2015-07-15, 05:19 PM
The goblin takes Grotar's blow in the temple, collapsing like a dropped sack of potatoes. All the goblins but one lie in pools of their own blood, much like our good Shoanti warrior. Around the square, it sounds as though the fight is dying away, and for the next few seconds, all is quiet but for the captive goblin struggling uselessly against its bonds to the south.

Lifeson
2015-07-15, 05:24 PM
Uriel

No, this is what I get for not being more prepared, I am so sorry Kurad. Uriel lamented, as he passed his holy symbol from his tail into his hand. Hoisting the symbol up to the sun, Uriel prayed, "Dawnflower, let your radiance be our health! Let your light help us keep the darkness away!"

Move action to cover Kurad if neccessary, then channel energy to heal: [roll0]

The Hellbug
2015-07-15, 06:26 PM
Rose

As the last goblin finally falls, Rose realizes that the sounds of combat from throughout the village have mostly faded. Her first thought is to run over to Kurad and try to help him, but Uriel is already on the way with his magic before she can even take a step. I can't believe I made it through that, she thinks realizing that her legs are shaking, all the same. In fact, when she finally tries to take a step, Rose falls to her knees as the adrenaline from the fight fades.

She assuages anybody's concern with a quick, "Don't worry; I'll be fine," as she bends back and looks up at the sky where the sun that had welcomed the festival is still shining brightly, though marred by the smoke from fires in the village. How could something like this happen on such a beautiful day?

ylvathrall
2015-07-17, 07:03 PM
Kurad

Kurad sits bolt upright as the healing magic stops the bleeding. He looks around wildly, then relaxes when he sees that the goblins are all down. He slowly pushes himself to his feet, leaning on his axe. That was entirely too close, he thinks to himself.

"Thanks," he says to Uriel as he stands up. "Did I miss anything important?"

rezplz
2015-07-17, 11:52 PM
grotar

Sensing that they had fended off the worst of the goblins, Grotar released his anger. He let his arms drop, and his heavy sword hit the ground with a loud thud. He breathed heavily, yet despite it all he still stood tall. He looked around, seeking more combat with which to test his might. However, what little combat there was would be over by the time he got there. They had won the day, and what goblins had any sense of intelligence were running away. With how little success they had, Grotar doubted they would be trying again any time soon. He grunted and lifted his blade once more to rest it on his shoulder, rather than drag it through the ground. He made his way to the others.

He took a quick tally of the group's status. They were all tired and weary, but none of their spirits were broken. He gave a nod to the halfling, acknowledging both her bravery and the fact that she was okay. Both she and Uriel were not warriors, yet they had handled themselves decently enough for not being orcs.

"You were only out for a few seconds. It seems we've won the battle." He looked in the direction that the goblins were running to. While he doubted they would raid again, perhaps it was time they were taught a lesson. If you are hit, hit back twice as hard so they can't hit you again. He turned back to the group.

"If we are to do a counter-attack, we should do it now before they have a chance to mobilize. Maybe our captive can help with that." With that, he walked away from the group towards the captive goblin. If he was a normal goblin, he would talk. Grotar would make sure of that.

The Hellbug
2015-07-18, 01:09 AM
Rose

"Grotar, I don't think we'd even be able to fight anymore goblins even if we could catch them. I'd say we've done about as much good today as we can be expected to," Rose replies to the half-orc's suggestion, standing up and brushing the dirt off her pants. "I'm more interested in finding out how bad the damage is and where Medea got off to," the halfling continues and then points to the prisoner, "And we should get him to the town watch. They'll know what to do with him."

Syekate
2015-07-18, 08:24 AM
Sudden clapping is heard, starting at a slow rhythm, and increasing with frequency as the man who was hiding behind the barrel to the north approaches the group. The man approaching is handsome and well-dressed, though a mite bit disheveled following the evening's events. He sports a long blue fanciful jacket, shoulder-length black hair tied back into a fashionable tail, and s thin mustache and goatee. He is exuberant and fast-spoken on his approach, as though he has somewhere he has to be. "By the gods, I've never seen such skill and prowess in my life! You slayed those goblins with the ferocity of a wild beast!" he says, addressing Kurad. Then, turning to Rose, he says, "And you, I'm stricken. Such power coming from such beauty! You're a firecracker, you!" He then addresses the group, saying, "I must reward you for saving me. I insist that you meet me at the Rusty Dragon tonight when all's said and done, and we'll celebrate your amazing victory! Ask for Aldern Foxglove." Though talking to everyone, his eyes seem to rest most frequently on Rose. Suddenly, he seems to remember the situation at hand and looks around shiftily. "Listen, this has been great, and I'd love to talk more, but I really think I should be finding some shelter in case there might be more of the little buggers about. I will see you all later!" he finishes as a matter of fact. Meanwhile, the one unconscious goblin has started to rouse, shifting uncomfortably in its lying position and groaning. The captive, bound in ropes, has come completely to, and gives Grotar a wide grin on his approach, only to spit at the half-orc. It then cackles as though it had told the funniest joke there is.

Lifeson
2015-07-18, 02:23 PM
Uriel

Given a moment of rest, it took Uriel a moment to process what had happened. Lessons learned, and a new set of questions to work on. While not the tone he would've used, Grotar's call for action was definitely needed, as the level of audacity the goblins had doesn't usually happen. Usually, anyways.

Yet there were some immediate concerns. "The goblins coming to being my fault, when I think about it..." Uriel thought as he replaced his holy symbol and crossbow to their respective holsters on his person. Walking over to the somewhat-formally-unconscious goblin, Uriel asked, "Does anyone have any more rope? We get double the hostages if we do. I understand if you want to put the ankle-biters out of their misery mind you." His eyes narrowed a little, but that was the extend of the anger he allowed himself to show. He wasn't particularly happy they interrupted the consecration, but live prisoners spoke more than dead ones. Goblins tended to just spittle and cuss whatever their state of being anyway.

The Hellbug
2015-07-19, 09:31 AM
Rose

"And you, I'm stricken. Such power coming from such beauty! You're a firecracker, you!"

Rose blushes slightly at the well-dressed man's praise. In her experience, the bigger races tended overlook halflings and the like, and besides, she Grotar and Kurad were the ones that did most of the heavy lifting against the goblins. The halfling manages to stammer out a response, "Uh...no problem, sir. I just did what I thought anybody with the...um...skills to do so would have done in the situation." She is relieved when the man leaves quickly and lets out a sigh at her own foolishness. The sorceress resigns herself to be more prepared for such episodes in the future, although who could really blame her with that whole 'firecracker' comment coming from a complete stranger.

"Does anyone have any more rope? We get double the hostages if we do. I understand if you want to put the ankle-biters out of their misery mind you."

"I don't, but I think that'd be a good idea," Rose concludes, "we still need to find the rest of whoever drove the goblins out, though. You all think they'd be back up at the temple? Uriel, any idea where else they'd be? We're all new here."

ylvathrall
2015-07-21, 06:57 PM
Kurad

Kurad stands and watches the discussion over the goblin with interest, keeping his axe ready just in case. He doesn't have much to offer, not knowing much of how these things are handled outside the Shoanti. And besides, it isn't his place to decide. It's not as though it's his tribe the goblins attacked.

Still, it's interesting to watch. He came here to learn about foreign cultures, after all. The aftermath of a goblin raid wouldn't have been his first choice of circumstance in which to do so, but there's no denying that it's a useful one. Anyone can be a hero in peace and plenty; it's when times are hard that you see the mettle of a man. He figures this is probably similar.

Lifeson
2015-07-24, 09:30 AM
Uriel

No answers on extra binding. And leaving the goblin to his own devices is a pretty stupid idea, as even alone goblins had a tendency to cause damage before running away. Like a cornered animal. "No one? Just as well. Let's put him out of our misery and see to the rest of the town," Uriel said solemnly as he drew his crossbow for one more shot. At this range, he couldn't miss.

After taking the shot, Uriel replaced his crossbow to his back holster, and lead his team back into town. "Let's see if we can find the sheriff. Between him and the Father, we should be able to get a good view of what happened here. Hopefully, goblins are all that happened."

Full round action: Coup de Grace
Damage: [roll0] x2
If he manages to survive, Fort DC is 10+damage

rezplz
2015-07-25, 07:51 AM
Grotar

Grotar raised an eye in curiosity upon seeing the priest dispatch the surviving goblin. He had seen some warriors have a difficult time killing someone who could not fight back the first time, yet Uriel had no issues with it. Perhaps the priest had an inner constitution that was hidden. Grotar gave a slight nod of approval. Without the means to bind him and make the goblin a prisoner of war, dispatching it was the most logical conclusion.

He grabbed the captive goblin by the ropes that bound him, and slung him over his shoulder once more. "This one should give us everything we need to know. If the sheriff is the one in charge for this kind of situation, we should seek him out now. He will have the best idea on the state of your fighters. Where would he be?"

ylvathrall
2015-07-27, 02:53 AM
Kurad

Kurad watches as the final goblin is dispatched. He feels no particular shame nor pride at the action. There is no glory in such killing, but it is sometimes necessary. To do it quickly and cleanly is all that can be asked.

"It is finished," he says once the deed is done. "Let us find this sheriff, or another of comparable rank. I would know more about this attack. I would wager that we can find either him or an elder of some sort back at the church."

Syekate
2015-07-28, 08:05 AM
The little group find the sheriff and his fighters, along with several goblin captives, near the town's garrison. Sheriff Hemlock welcomes the group with his usual dour expression. "Droves of the little fiends. We've never had such an organized attack in Sandpoint's history. The number of people we lost is unforgivable... but could have been much worse, had you lot not been here to help us defend. This city owes your bravery a great debt today."

Meanwhile, the soldiers seem to be interrogating the goblins, asking questions about where they came from, how many there were, what they were after. Their efforts receive little response beyond cackling, spitting, and a slew of goblin tongue. Eventually, one of them gets exasperated and gives the goblin in front of him a swift kick. "Why are you here?!" he shouts in anger. The kicked goblin stops his merry-making for a minute with a frown. Then, with open mouth and sharp teeth it calls out, "Kill them all! Burn it down!" The rest of the goblins, including the one Grotar has in tow, take up the cry, and begin chanting the missive as well.

Sheriff Hemlock sighs and rubs his temple as though the words were pounding in his head. "That's the best we've got yet. The cretins are either not terribly forthcoming, or very stupid. Both, perhaps."

The Hellbug
2015-07-28, 02:21 PM
Rose

"Droves of the little fiends. We've never had such an organized attack in Sandpoint's history. The number of people we lost is unforgivable... but could have been much worse, had you lot not been here to help us defend. This city owes your bravery a great debt today."

Hemlock's praise makes the little halfling swell with pride-- but not enough for her to forget how tired she is nor how anxious she is to have Medea back at her side. She asks the sheriff, "was everyone alright back up at the new cathedral? I sent a friend of mine there with a message that the square there was clear, and I wanted to know if she made it through okay."

As for the prisoners, Rose's group's prisoner looks a lot less useful next to all those the watch had rounded up. And it doesn't look like we'll get any from this lot, either.

ylvathrall
2015-07-28, 10:37 PM
Kurad

"I see no debt," Kurad says to the sheriff. "We lost nothing but a little blood, and to trade blood for glory is no bad thing." Despite his words, however, the Shoanti is obviously still in a great deal of pain, and the way he talks about himself as seeking glory sounds a little too enthusiastic, as though he's trying to convince himself of what he's saying.

"In any case," he continues, "I question whether such stupid creatures could have organized a raid of this scale. It seems beyond what goblins usually manage. Perhaps there was another force at work here, driving them beyond their own idiocy."

Lifeson
2015-07-29, 06:57 AM
Uriel

Uriel was rather unsurprised at the 'success' of the goblins' interrogation. At the same time, there was some knowledge to be gleaned; one: there was someone moving these guys, as they would never have taken the surprise on the town like they had, and two: that someone must be really scary if the goblins haven't betrayed him yet.

Then again, some would question whether or not the goblins could hold a thought for longer than a few seconds. But then that just brings it right back to the beginning of the attack, and wondering how they staged it in the first place...

"Oooo, just a thought," he interjected, attempting to keep the questioning going, "Have we been able to figure out what tribe they're from? If we know who was mostly involved, it should narrow down where we go next..."

rezplz
2015-07-31, 01:48 AM
Grotar

Grotar gave a brief nod acknowledging the sheriff's thanks. In truth, it bothered him about how bad things would have been if they had not all been there. A people should always be prepared for war, but clearly these humans were not. They relied on luck to save them, and that was not the kind of philosophy he cared to learn from.

"Times of great need can provoke great deeds. Even from goblins. I have seen some present surprising intelligence when backed into a corner. Never underestimate an enemy."

He unceremoniously dropped the goblin he was carrying on the ground, letting it land with a thud. He then laid his sword to rest a few feet away from the goblin, out of arm's reach of the creature even if it would manage to escape its bonds. As he rested on one knee beside the goblin, placing himself between the creature and his blade, he listened to Uriel's thought. He nodded. "This goblin will tell us."

In an instant, Grotar's calm demeanor changed. He surged forward and grasped the goblin by his ropes. Grotar lifted the goblin a foot off of the ground, only to slam it back down with a snarl. "Tell us! What tribe are you from?! Why have you attacked today?!"

Intimidate check on the goblin.

[roll0] (+4 for being larger than the goblin)

Syekate
2015-07-31, 08:31 AM
The goblin's head cracks as it hits the sidewalk, and its normally squinty eyes become large, round, and wet with tears. "Kill them all. Burn it down," the goblin says with a quiet whimpering voice; the other captives take up the cry again with glee, much to the annoyance of Sheriff Hemlock. This goblin remains quiet, though, its fear for the half-orc now obvious.

Syekate
2015-07-31, 11:40 AM
Sheriff Hemlock meanwhile addresses concerns of the other adventurers. "I've not heard from Father Zanthus or others in the cathedral, which is probably a good thing. All's been quiet in that district for some time, and I suspect we have you folks to thank for it. As for the attack, it's more a question of how many tribes than which one. I don't know the locals groups as well as some, but you'll notice marks of different clans. This kind of organization among these fiends is unheard of."

The Hellbug
2015-08-01, 01:16 AM
Rose

As for the attack, it's more a question of how many tribes than which one. I don't know the locals groups as well as some, but you'll notice marks of different clans.[/COLOR]"

"There's more than one clan of these brutes around here?" Rose inquires. She doesn't know a whole lot about goblins, just that they are brutal and stupid. "Who would know more about the different tribes, perhaps someone up at the temple?" Rose doesn't hide the fact that going there to check on if everyone there is okay is at the top of her priority list.

ylvathrall
2015-08-01, 01:48 AM
Kurad

"That has been my tribe's experience as well," Kurad says. "In any case, we should likely speak to someone more familiar with the local tribes. As the saying goes, 'A better burden may no man bear, for wanderings wide than wisdom; it is better than wealth on unknown ways, and in grief a refuge it gives.' Let us seek this wisdom, then, that we may know what tomorrow holds."

rezplz
2015-08-01, 10:14 PM
Grotar

While the others discussed among themselves what they should do next, Grotar remained in front of his captive goblin. He stared long and hard at the fearful creature, his brow furrowed in frustration and contemplation. From what he knew of goblins, this one was being oddly brave. Isolated and vulnerable, he should have been spilling anything Grotar asked him about in order to save its own skin. He broke eye contact with his goblin to look at the others; still uncowed, unconcerned with the goblin he had tied up. None of them seemed concerned about the goblin bodies that littered the ground. It was as if they were children, unable to comprehend or care about the fact that what happened to the others might happen to them. He frowned to himself, rejecting that idea. Even beasts could learn. Goblins had to be at least more intelligent than beasts. Why were they unafraid?

He gripped the goblin's ropes, staring back into his eyes as he tried to get a read on the goblin. He thought back to the chant the goblin had squeaked out, echoed by its brothers. His frown turned into a smirk as an idea came to his head. Turn your enemies' strengths into weaknesses. Grotar stood, picking up the goblin with one hand and his sword with the other. A goblin was not truly afraid until it was truly alone. Grotar would teach it fear.

As he stood, he caught the last part of what Kurad said. He gave a brief nod, agreeing with the statement despite the excessive amount of words he used. "Sheriff, you should consult with whoever around here knows most about goblins. Meanwhile, I will take some time alone with this goblin and get it to cooperate. How long do I have until you are ready to lead the offensive?"

Lifeson
2015-08-04, 09:11 PM
Uriel

The words of multiple clans being part of this attack made little sense in theory to Uriel, yet here it was in practice. Which absolutely backwards to what one would normally think about goblins. Whichever the case, it doesn't appear that any new info would surface here. At least, with this line of investigation. "If it's a question of how many, it really becomes a question of just how? I imagine we're going to have to wait for a ranger to make her rounds to know who these all belong to, but do we have any leads on how they got in? If we can retrace their footsteps, so to speak, maybe we can find out how this happened in the first place?" Uriel wanted to be a part of this investigation, as something now felt...off. Something wanted to harm his town, and it didn't want to be found doing it.

Sandpoint, I come back to find myself up to my horns in goblins. Sarenrae help us, if that's all there is to it, I'll eat my tail.

The Hellbug
2015-08-09, 03:11 PM
Rose

Grotar
"Sheriff, you should consult with whoever around here knows most about goblins. Meanwhile, I will take some time alone with this goblin and get it to cooperate. How long do I have until you are ready to lead the offensive?"

Rose makes a face at Grotar's suggestion of "interrogating" one of the goblins. As foul as these creatures are, intimidation and potential torture aren't up her alley. "I don't think I want to be around for that. Why don't some of us head up to the temple to give it a look over like Uriel said and look for someone who might know more about the goblins while you take care of that," she suggests to Grotar.

Syekate
2015-08-09, 09:01 PM
At this point the goblin is appears out of its mind with fear. "I give longshanks answers! Why we come? Kill them all! Burn with fire! No more hurting! Let me go now?" The other goblins take up their chant again, and Grotar's prisoner shoots them an angry glare. It appears that this goblin at least recognizes that the game is over.

As the Shoanti tribesman talks, the sheriff nods his head at the sagely advice of his people. Sheriff Hemlock looks to Grotar with an air of incredulity. "Offensive? I have dozens of wounded soldiers, a town militia that barely knows the correct side of a pitchfork to hold, and you want me to lead them against a force of unknown size at an unknown location with who knows how many ambushes might be prepared along the way. If you want to throw your life away following the monsters, be my guest, but I cannot lead my people down that road in good faith. No, what we need is information. Shalelu Andosana; she's a local that keeps tab on the goblin tribes in the area. Comes through town once or twice a season. Unfortunately, she was here not a month ago, so I don't expect she'll be back for some time, and we have no way of finding her. She makes sure of that..." Hemlock grumbles the last bit under his breath.

Just then, Father Zantus comes forth at a trot, panting, with a familiar fox close at his heels. The priest takes a second to catch his breath, and then his eye catches Rose. "Say, you're the girl sent this little helper. Thank you; he has proved most invaluable in making sure our way is clear, and led me to an important discovery. And you are a familiar face in a dire hour," he says, looking to Uriel. "Your quick thinking saved a great many from harm. But that is aside. Sheriff, I believe there has been a disturbance in the cemetery; Ezekiel Tobayn's vault is open. I came here straight away. Who knows what kind of goblin activity might linger there."

Hemlock sighs and rubs his temples. "I should investigate immediately while the trail might still be warm. You four, will you join? I could use a few good eyes and arms, my mine are exhausted from the fighting thus far."

ylvathrall
2015-08-09, 09:23 PM
Kurad

Kurad looks quite pleased to see the fox again. "Hello, Medea," he says gravely. "I will tell tales of your heroism today. You have earned your glory as surely as anyone here."

He then looks at the sheriff and nods. "I do not know how much more assistance my arms can provide today. But what they have I will gladly lend, and my eyes are as sharp as ever."

Lifeson
2015-08-10, 09:02 AM
Uriel

Uriel smiled a little at the faint praise thrown his way, it made today seem a little brighter, even if it did come with troubling news. Why would Father Tobyn's tomb have been opened? Whoever did it chose a good night for it though. He did, in his mind, discredit the idea of goblins opening it. Try to burn it, yes. Spray questionable liquids over it, yes. But open? Just open? No, too many would've been needed to open it up, especially since they were all so obsessed with the burning and the killing.

"Let's be off then, Uriel said, following the sheriff, "Certainly we're not getting anywhere with these things." Fatigue was gnawing at his limbs too, but his mental faculties wouldn't cease. Not even if he tried.

The Hellbug
2015-08-10, 02:24 PM
Rose

Rose is relieved to see that the priest is okay, but she is especially elated to see that he has brought Medea along. "I'm so glad to see you're okay!" the halfling exclaims as she kneels on one knee to greet the fox, who happily sidles on up next to her master, "And you were able to help Father Zantus, too?" The fox looks knowingly at the mostly mended wound on the sorceress's leg, and she replies to the look, "Don't worry, it's just a scratch is all. Uriel was able to help me out."

After her quick reunion with her familiar, Rose turns back to sheriff to reply, "I can come along, but I'd only be that a pair of eyes..." Medea gives a quick yip,"...or two, actually. Those goblins took a lot out of me, and I've definitely exhausted my magic until I get a good night's rest. If you don't think there'll be much trouble, though, we'd be happy to come along."

rezplz
2015-08-13, 02:14 PM
Grotar

Grotar smiled to himself as he stared down the goblin that he held. That had actually been easier than he expected to break him, yet he still didn't have anything useful. Maybe he was simply asking the wrong questions. While he thought, he responded to Rose. "It seems I won't have to interrogate this one much after all. You won't have to witness much." He then turned his gaze back to the goblin. The captive enemy that most saw as nothing more than a feral child. Grotar was convinced that there was more, fit to be put down at any chance. Grotar disagreed. He nodded to himself as he thought. The goblin was a prisoner of war, but even enemies deserved a certain amount of respect. "Goblin. If you cooperate, you will be treated decently. You will not be slain, or harmed. Give me enough information and I may even reward you. Now. What is your name? And who is it that whipped these clans into a frenzy?"

While he talked to the goblin and waited for his reply, he listened to the group. He nodded in reply to the sheriff - Grotar had to admit that the man had a point. Even a fit fighting force needed information. "I agree that we need information before we attack. I only hope you will be ready to move once we have it. I will go with you to this disturbance. I can still fight a few more battles today, and it may give us the knowledge we need."

Syekate
2015-08-13, 08:33 PM
The goblin is quick to answer this time. "The longshanks had secret mission in graveyard! Let Grubgrub go, and I lead you there!" The sheriff nods to the others. "We leave when you are ready," he states, simply, with eyes on the goblin.

Father Zantus says, "I'd be happy to heal anyone who needs it before we go. We should be ready for anything, given recent events."

Zantus gives everyone who is less than full hit points a Cure Light Wounds if they so choose.

ylvathrall
2015-08-13, 08:59 PM
Kurad

"Thank you for your assistance," Kurad says, nodding to the priest. "While my injuries are not crippling, I admit I would be happier not to enter another battle in my current condition."

Once Father Zantus casts his spell, Kurad looks at the others. "Fortune favors the bold, friends," he says. "Let us make haste to this graveyard."

Accepting the healing spell. I'm not rolling it myself, since I don't know Father Zantus's caster level. Also, it's possible that he's secretly a cultist of Dagon and this is actually a Slay Living spell. Who can say?

Anyway, don't have any other preparations to make, so Kurad is up to leave whenever people are ready.

The Hellbug
2015-08-14, 04:56 PM
, "I'd be happy to heal anyone who needs it before we go. We should be ready for anything, given recent events.

"Uriel already saw to my wounds. Thank you, Father," Rose replies, then says to the rest, "I'm ready when you all are."

Lifeson
2015-08-17, 08:08 AM
Uriel

"Luckily, I don't require any healing..." Uriel commented, with the little blood he did have coming from other sources, "Though, I have to apologize, I should have taken better care of my charges." Yes, his companions were likely to take the blame away, but Uriel still felt a responsibility. He wasn't very good at the hurting and killing part, but healing was one of the few arts he was good at. When all you have is a hammer...

Although, if the town continues to be in danger, it would be a good idea to learn how to hit something. Maybe Kurad or Grotar could train me...

rezplz
2015-08-21, 10:48 PM
Grotar

Grotar took a sharp inhalation of breath, feeling the warmth spread over the cut on his arm. He nods in thanks before untying the goblin's legs, while keeping its torso tied. Looking at the goblin, he could so easily see why they were hated. But he steeled himself against his instincts - if he were to change his people, getting a goblin to learn should be an easy first step. He took another breath and attempted to treat... Grubgrub... with as much respect as possible.

"Show us, Grubgrub. What is this secret mission? And which longshanks are you talking about?"

Upon hearing Uriel, he looked at the priest and shook his head. Your magic made the fight much easier. You are no warrior, but you were braver than I expected." He looked down to the halfling, "You both were. Let's go."

Syekate
2015-08-24, 08:36 AM
Grubgrub is giddy with excitement as the bonds around his legs are taken away. Upon seeing him get to his feet, the other goblin captives begin to grumble and complain, until Hemlock says, "Gag them until we return," an order swiftly executed by the guardsmen. Grubgrub says, "Yes! Yes! Longshanks had secret mission in graveyard! Grubgrub will take you!" Although, the goblin does not appear to know which way the graveyard is, looking about for a route to take, he is pleased enough to strain the rope, pulling in any direction that seems graveyard-ish. As such, Sheriff Hemlock leads the group, with Father Zantus following behind cautiously. Along the short walk, Hemlock asks the travelers, "So what brings a heroic bunch such as yourselves to our town? Planning on sticking around a while?"

ylvathrall
2015-08-24, 01:49 PM
Kurad

"I come to learn," Kurad says simply. "There are many things here which are of value to our people. I should hope to return with this knowledge, though I may be some time here first."

There is a very slight emphasis on the our. Kurad isn't so much chiding Hemlock for living away from the Shoanti as reminding the sheriff that another possibility exists, although he knows it might be taken the wrong way.

The Hellbug
2015-08-24, 10:10 PM
"So what brings a heroic bunch such as yourselves to our town? Planning on sticking around a while?"

Did you hear that, Medea? He called us heroic! Now that things seem to have settled down a bit and she has been reunited with her familiar, Rose swells with pride at her accomplishments today. I was right there, holding my own with Kurad and Grotar. I got complimented by Grotar for my courage, and I don't think he could be afraid of anything. With that in mind, the halfling responds to Sheriff Hemlock's question, "oh, Medea and I have been traveling for almost a half a year now, having a look at those Thassilonian ruins that dot the countryside. I've got a book about them in my pack here." She bumps her pack on her shoulder for emphasis, here, then continues, "but we didn't find what we were looking for and, when we ran into a caravan on the way to your Swallowtail Festival, decided to take a break. I don't know how long we plan on staying, but I guess we have nowhere in particular to be..."

rezplz
2015-08-25, 08:51 PM
Grotar

"I have also come to learn," said Grotar, as he kept his eyes trained on Grubgrub. The goblin seemed cooperative, but Grotar didn't fully trust it yet. He kept enough tension on the rope to stop the goblin from escaping, but did not pull on it any more than was needed. "I intend to learn where your strength comes from, so that I can teach it to my people. I will stay in the area as long as it seems you have something to teach me, and then I will move on." Grotar gave a slight tug on the goblin's rope, just enough to get its attention. "Grubgrub. What were the longshanks doing in the graveyard? Do you know?"

Lifeson
2015-08-27, 09:27 PM
Uriel

Uriel listened while everyone else divulged, as he was curious too as to why they travelled to Sandpoint. And he was willing to help his companions learn as much as he can, and hopefully learn a bit in return. He kept to himself in silence, though, as thoughts of the day were attempting to catch up the current moment. I've even had to kill...though Sarenrae's scriptures do include redemption by sword, it's not a redemption I really want to be proficient at.

Uriel's eyes, cast downward as if contemplating his navel, caught sight of a few burn marks left behind by the goblins. It angered him. Understandably so, but it still frustrated one who had attempted to not become angry in fear of losing himself. Realizing he was working himself into an anxious spiral, Uriel took a few deep breaths to return himself to the town around him. Whichever ends up my answer, at the end of the day, Sandpoint will be my home, and I would like to keep it that way...even if it means following a goblin who refers to himself as 'Grubgrub'. I wonder if he honestly knows anything, or if he just happened to lie well.