PDA

View Full Version : Building A Guild Hall

Chaosvii7
2015-05-29, 10:27 PM
My group is playing through an adventure that's almost at it's end, and I want to have a penultimate fight that starts on the grounds of their Guild Hall and hopefully ends inside of it. The Guild Hall came pretty cheap as I recall, but it was still a pricey venture. I wanted to throw them a bone and give them a few resources, but I was most interested in finding an interesting way to design the guild hall. So, with some inspiration from Acquisitions, Inc., I've come up with a pretty decent idea of how I'm going to make it work.

The party's guild hall is going to consist of several rooms, each one having a special function and a few guild members available to fight. The better the effect of the room the fewer the soldiers, and vice versa. I'm also considering making it two floors, to let them preserve some of the better rooms, but restrict certain things to the first or second floors. The idea being that as the fight ensues, the enemies will begin to trash the place and destroy the room. After that, the group has to retreat and keep going until the enemies either vanish, or the guild hall is destroyed.

I just need some good ideas for room effects, a mechanical way to balance the setup out(I'm thinking kind of like a point buy), and then I can set out to designing. I've already statted the generic guildies, and the club is maintained by their secretary, a Medusa named Misty(or more appropriately, Missssty).

So as for the "Stats" of each room, I'm thinking that they'll have a number to represent the number of interns that come with that room, and the number of enemies necessary for me to destroy that room. I might expedite it and make it so that instead of regular combats, it'll be mass-scale combat like in that Unearthed Arcana article. Either way, let's assume that for all intents and purposes that I'm sticking with regular turn-based combat for now and I will tweak suggestions for room effects if I decide otherwise.

As far as the power level of things, they're a party that will be between 10th and 14th level when they start the fight. The guild hall, as I said, was a costly labor, but it shouldn't be overpowered in of itself. The fight they're getting into is aimed to be deadly - I'm thinking twice the recommended dosage of enemies for the appropriate CR. Their deaths are not consequential, as they can pay or resurrection, but destruction of their guild hall has the clear consequence of setting the group as a whole back and making it difficult if not impossible for them to train more recruits and bring them with them to the impending final battle.

Please, suggest away. I would love any amount of help I can get on the matter.

Bard1cKnowledge
2015-05-30, 12:40 AM
You van never go wrong with a snake pit