PDA

View Full Version : snowball fight.er 3.5

Menzath
2015-05-29, 11:53 PM
So I have a build in mind that will kill his enemies with(you guessed) snowballs. My only issue is I need a quick, easy, cheap, and most importantly a non-dispellable way to get snow in any environment(yes even.in this pesky caves).

I am assuming spellcasting will be used to make said snow, whether arcane or divine will not matter, but if someone can come up with another easy method that would be fine as well.

Ganorenas
2015-05-30, 01:49 AM
Spell Componant Pouches contain an infinite amount of snow.

Thanks to Frostburn's spells.

Menzath
2015-05-30, 11:29 AM
Yes, if this was just a theory build that would be all well and good.

Alas it is not and getting one or more books to my face is not that agreeable.

I am afraid I will need a very legitimit method of creating or procuring said snow.

jiriku
2015-05-30, 11:38 AM
Bag of holding holds stuff. Cast darsson's chilling chamber into it to keep it cold, or use several blocks of blue ice as ice packs to keep the snow cold. However, this is a limited supply of snow and if your DM is a stickler about physics he may rule that the snow gradually accretes into a mass of ice over time. Ring gates with one kept in hand and the other buried in a snowbank somewhere would work, but that's an expensive waste of a valuable magic item, IMO. Better would probably be a custom magic item, an everfull pouch of snow.

Segev
2015-05-30, 11:52 AM
I don't know how strictly you're sticking to "fighter" for the build, but you could take 1+ levels of Warlock and fluff the eldrich blast to be "throwing a snowball." I think there's an Eldrich Essence Invocation for making it a Chilling Blast, even.

Gandariel
2015-05-30, 12:06 PM
+1 for the custom magic item, it's the simplest way (and hey, item creation rules were MADE for this purpose)

Otherwise. .. custom spell? Create water => create ice?

Or.. you can probably find some weird monster to keep as pet which has at-will cold spells?

Hiro Quester
2015-05-30, 12:11 PM
A sorcerer I play with has DM permission to refluff his magic missile as a snowball. Cold damage instead of force. But same power. And no need for actual snow.

The sorcerer has grown up in a cold climate, but is now adventuring in the tropical jungle. Snowballs are surprising and funny for role playing, too. Esp. in this climate.

Menzath
2015-05-30, 02:51 PM
The reason I did not post the build is because it is irrelevant to this.
But to satisfy the playgrounds needs it will be something along the lines of an arcane caster X/monk 2/ drunken master 1/ arcane PRC X

So yes I will literally be throwing snowballs.

I mean this to be a completely goofy, yet playable character. Who just happens to love snowball fights.

I am just having trouble bringing the snow with me. The spell drifts of the Shalm(phII pg111) is the closest I can find, and may possibly work. My only concern is that in late game it is dispellable.

Segev
2015-05-30, 03:04 PM
If you're willing to trade out "arcane caster" and "arcane PrC" for "Druid" and "Planar Shepherd," you could select your plane to be a frozen one (Stygia comes to mind, but might be a bit Lawful Evil for your taste), and then your planar bubble class feature would let you bring bitter cold with you wherever you go.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-05-30, 04:29 PM
If you're willing to trade out "arcane caster" and "arcane PrC" for "Druid" and "Planar Shepherd," you could select your plane to be a frozen one (Stygia comes to mind, but might be a bit Lawful Evil for your taste), and then your planar bubble class feature would let you bring bitter cold with you wherever you go.

I forget the name but Fiend Codex I has a frozen layer of the Abyss. Baator actually has 2 frozen layers (5 and 8). I don't know of any other frozen planes off the top of my head.

Segev
2015-05-30, 04:43 PM
I forget the name but Fiend Codex I has a frozen layer of the Abyss. Baator actually has 2 frozen layers (5 and 8). I don't know of any other frozen planes off the top of my head.

Nor do I, but I imagine there's probably at least one on the upper half of the planes, and I think there's a paraelemental plane of ice somewhere between Water and Air, or maybe Water and Positive Energy. I'm not certain, though.

Ruethgar
2015-05-30, 04:49 PM
Technically speaking Create Water works, all forms of water are still water after all, less technically Create Ice Object. There is also the spell Create Element from Dark Sun. Though there isn't one fore ice considering the state of the world, you may want to homebrew something from those ideas as a base.

Warrnan
2015-05-30, 06:15 PM
Perhaps coupled with precise shot feat, spells like ice knife, lesser orb of cold, and snowball swarm (2nd level version of fireball) spells. Those spells are all in the spell compendium. Frost burn will be a good source of spells, as well. See if your DM will let you take the acid reserve feat (it's a ranged touch attack) and you have an all day source of cold damage.

Take this and go mailman build sorceror with Silverbrow human so you'll be decended from a cold dragon. Just have the visual manifestation of all your cold attacks be snow related.

You could take non-lethal substitution as well. Makes sense for snow. Practical metamagic and use it on everything that isn't immune to non-lethal.

Grab icy spell and piercing cold metamagic feats So your enemies who are cold immune or resistant will still take damage.

Uncle Pine
2015-05-30, 06:23 PM
Spell Componant Pouches contain an infinite amount of snow.

Thanks to Frostburn's spells.

That's not all. Spell component pouches directly give access to a source of infinite snowballs:

You create a zone of icy cold within the spell's area, dealing 1d6 points of cold damage per round.
Arcane Material Component: A snowball.
It's not necessary to homebrew anything, or to jump through countless hoops.

PaucaTerrorem
2015-05-30, 11:10 PM
Snow + sharp rocks.

Saintheart
2015-05-30, 11:28 PM
Surely an Ice Assassin would be good at throwing snowballs *b-boom tsss*

Hiro Quester
2015-05-31, 12:20 AM
A sorcerer I play with has DM permission to refluff his magic missile as a snowball. Cold damage instead of force. But same power. And no need for actual snow.

The sorcerer has grown up in a cold climate, but is now adventuring in the tropical jungle. Snowballs are surprising and funny for role playing, too. Esp. in this climate.

I checked with him. He's throwing a lesser orb of cold as a snowball. I misunderstood that it was a re fluffed magic missile.