PDA

View Full Version : Flying the Coop [IC]

BelGareth
2015-05-29, 11:59 PM
The darkness in the corner was more than that, it was a terrible visage of nothing, something evil lurked within, and all knew it, but the smoldering eyes belied an inteligence that spoke of eons. They did not twinkle with the malice do common with devils or deamons, no, they sparkled with the intense knowledge of intellect.

The corner spoke.

"I am not aware of who or what is the the reason for this, no, and I'm not looking for it, I am looking for a way back. As you all should be." the voice spoke with a dark umbral tone, accompanied by a slight echo of tortured screams that one could hear in their mind only so faintly.

A man in the light turned, almost whirling at the corner, his armor was a golden yellow, burnished with the rays of the sun, his eyes smoldered, giving off their own light, and where he looked lit up like the light of day. His voice traveled with the chorus of angels, singing birds and a melody unlike mortal ears could hear "You give us nothing to go on, we are down here, and yet no ONE knows why, suddenly, and without notice, Our lord refuses our pleas, and now the mortals are rushing like moths to a flame."

The eyes in the darkness blink, frowning slightly, and then nod in agreement.

Another Figure, and older man, dressed in scribes clothing, including a gown of dust white, held a monocle in his right eye and peered at a dusty tome, "Indeed, indeed, there is nothing here, nothing of note anyway, as far as I can see, that would indicate what is going on, and His refusal to speak is worrisome, worrisome indeed, we must endure, perhaps with time, portents will show, it is always the way, the cosmos shows itself in time."

The eyes in the corner smiled, "Wait? yes, that is exactly what I intend to do" he said, with a tinge of bemusement, mixed in with sarcasm. The elderly scribe tilted his head back looking at the corner over his monocle, like an old man "Your derision is not appreciated, not at all!" he chides the corner. Which only provides a smirk in response.

Another being, a large well muscled man, taller than the others, and with a white beard on his face, to go along with the bushy white eyebrows, but bald pate. The being stood slowly, towering over the others, and the eyes in the corner sighed, "Well, in the mean time, I intend to act, things will NOT get out of control, I already have the Red Knight preparing, you should as well, War is coming, and you cannot prevent it, not while you wait." His voice was like a steel drum, beating against the hull of a warship laden with vikings.

~~~

It happened, and no one is sure why, the high priests claim to still be able to cast their miracles, and nothing has changed, the sun still moves through the sky, and the poor are still poor. But They are down amongst you, among the poor, and the rich, and the mortal.

Which was a problem.

You heard it clear as day, a whispering, it told of them walking Faerun, and it spoke of terrible things to come.

You know, from experience, that powers would change, and with it, vacuums, voids, and movement.

Maybe you could control it, prevent some of it, or even herald it.

You know your deitie has arrived on the surface, if you don't have one, then you know they all have arrived.

If you are loyal to your deitie, your first instinct is to travel to them, others may want to find their locations and kill them, armies may be rising, marching, or preparing to go to war, and even more obvious, spies are on overtime, and information is crucial.

Please post where you want to start (your home turf would be appropriate) and where you want to go. Feel free to have creative license with the opening post for your character.

drack
2015-05-30, 08:05 AM
Timmothy Tobbler tumbled forward through the portal, teetering slightly he managed to regain his balance. What a strange world this was. A cottage, sunlight, a lawn and garden? This was what he might expect to find hidden behind some shrubbery far from the beatten path on the material, not on a plane tucked away in the deep astral. It was like a little man-cave hidden from civilization. Why was it that these sorts of places were always made by evil abominations luring you into their maw or epic casters who sought a secret refuge within which to bring their powers to a dedific level. Still ogling at the perfect little world Timmothy managed to rule out the former. Exploring the plane he found someone in one of the beds, sleeping like a dead man, like that person in... what was the story? Oh yes, sleeping beauty, that was the one. The man looked like he was in a "death-like-trance". A bubble of flux-time surrounded the man and from one look at it Timmothy knew that the temporal distortions that hovered about him could shatter it at any moment, but he was curious, he wanted to know. Surely a peek couldn't hurt... Leaning forward he saw an old man wearied of life, looking for a good place to rest. He saw the joys of child rearing and the sharp unending pain of loss. He saw the little girl smiling as she slung a sword across her back and left, and he saw an aberration. A six armed behemoth with jet black skin garbed in a full suit of armor, wings half-unfurled as if it were about to ascend into the skies, and already he could tell what it was about to do... Timmothy snapped back to the present ogling at the sleeping man.

Timmothy Tobbler jumped, visibly, then as he stepped back it happened, the spell shattered freeing the seemingly normal man from his temporal shell. Dimly he cursed. He knew his presence would disrupt the temperal prison, but there was one problem with reading the future, time never stopped as you did so. You could go back afterwards and redo it, but for every minuet you were exploring potential futures you weren't exploring others and you weren't examining the past. He could see more then most, but he hatted times like this, not seeing the monster until after you decide that to wake it won't be too bad of an outcome. His mind racing Timmothy tried and tried to think what he could say, what he could do... "Hello there, you said you were Ortega, right?" It was only after the words had left his mouth that he noticed the man hadn't. Silently he kicked himself again. "Um... well... uh... Don't worry, it's not like I'm a suspicious trespasser or anything." Kicking himself again... "Er... I mean... Can we start over? No? Well... um... How was your nap?"

meemaas
2015-05-30, 08:42 AM
Ortega stood up slowly, looking around for a second as everything that had passed lately began to come to him. He stretched for a second, as though ignoring Timmothy's rambling, his final step to be to unfurl the wings behind his back that seemed to meld in perfectly with his skin otherwise before folding back into obscurity. "That was supposed to be forever, my penance for my loss." He eyes Timmothy softly, before continuing. "Where did you get my name? Or for that matter, find this plane? No, before that, what year is it on the Material? There's so much flooding in that i'm having trouble sorting it all out right this second." As Timmothy talks, Ortega goes through his poorly furnished cottage, pulling out an ornate sword that Timmothy might have recognized, strapping it to his back and pocketing a single crystal, clearly the only two things in his entire plane that Ortega cared in the least about.

drack
2015-05-30, 09:22 AM
Timothy breaths out a sigh of relief, even though he knew in his head that the man wouldn't suddenly shapeshift into a monster and tear his head off or roast him in flames, it had been allot harder to reassure his heart of that a moment ago. "Well, you see I happen to..." Timothy trails off under the wake of the next question "Well you see I was out and..." again he trails off to answer the third questions "Well you see I don't know because, you see it's an interesting story really I..." Again he trails off as if Ortega had asked him another question still "Well you see I was thinking we might... no, you're right, how about we not, in fact I'd almost think... no, not that either? Well what about tea, you've got some of that don't you? Oh no, that's right, I do." Without a moments thought he begins moving through the house gathering a teapot and cups, filling it with water and kindling a fire without wasting a moment in searching for anything, almost as if he'd lived in the house for years. As the fire begins to spit off hear he casually tosses a fist-full of tea from his back coat pocket. "You like lemongrass ginger root and cloves right? Oh wait, that was her wasn't it? Oh I'm sorry, I do hope you don't mind, I could make another pot if you'd like...?"

OOC

Totally gonna go off a limb and say if spell component pouches are 1GP that my cloths can totally have tea in them. :smallbiggrin: (you know, in a pocket, not in anyplace weird like... you know... his socks or something. :smallbiggrin:

meemaas
2015-05-30, 09:55 AM
Ortega

Ortega shakes his head. "She got the enjoyment from me, if you'd believe that. Although how do you know about that?" He stops and looks Timmothy in the eyes for a moment. "I get it now, it should have been clear from the start." He smacks his pocket where he placed the crystal before taking a cup from his new companion, taking a sip. "So, on to more pressing concerns. As much as our meeting has been interesting, I have to wonder. Do you feel it too? God forbid, Savior won't shut up about it in my head. Although I guess I can't blame him, of all that he's observed over the years i've been asleep, this certainly is one of the more interesting developments. Maybe that's why you were due to stumble in here when you did."

Just to fill you in, Timmothy's Hindsight would have allowed him to recognize the name as Ortega's dead best friend, and the father of his goddaughter. Whether or not Timmothy can recognize that this Savior is his psicrystal is something I don't know.

drack
2015-05-30, 10:09 AM
"No... it's... There's... It's more complicated then that." Timmothy finishes lamely. "I didn't come here for that, I cam there for me, or maybe for you for me?" Shaking his head as if dispersing a heavy fog of tangled thoughts form his mind he adds "I could find out though, I mean I can see and know things that, no, no, not that, I just do, you know? You don't.
Do you want me to?" Without thinking about it Timothy sipping his own tea.

Starmage21
2015-06-01, 08:32 AM
Sylaz Traud
Sylaz Traud is a hearty looking human of Damaran descent. Blonde hair, green eyes and about 25 years of age. Underneath his dark robes is an obvious suit of plate armor, the make of which cannot be determined underneath the cloth. Save for his traveler's pack, a nearby shield made of a lightweight material but blackened by lacquer, and a greatsword next to it, and some books upon the table, nothing stands out about Sylaz, and that is just the way he likes it. Sylaz is on the run, a former born to slavery-turned Knight of Thay in service to one of the most despicable leaders to be found. Then the fall...

Sylaz looks up from his bowl of stew, tankard of mead, and his spellbook and mutters to himself

"My lord Bane, I feel your presence. You are here..."

Those of strong faith might also take pause, but otherwise the activity in The Thirsty Dragon remains normal for a long-established tavern hidden away in the belly of Waterdeep

Sylaz chooses to remain calm, taking a long draft off of his tankard to steady a shaking hand, and then he speaks lowly to himself in prayer

"If you hear me, I will be at your side at once. All shall wither before me, in your name. I beg you guide me to you or to do your will"

meemaas
2015-06-01, 02:46 PM
"No... it's... There's... It's more complicated then that." Timmothy finishes lamely. "I didn't come here for that, I cam there for me, or maybe for you for me?" Shaking his head as if dispersing a heavy fog of tangled thoughts form his mind he adds "I could find out though, I mean I can see and know things that, no, no, not that, I just do, you know? You don't.
Do you want me to?" Without thinking about it Timothy sipping his own tea.

"That wasn't quite what I meant. It's still a bit disorienting, but I was basically implying that maybe one of the Gods opened up the path in order to wake me." He smiles, finishing his cup and setting it aside. "Of course, this could be a complete coincidence but..." He stops for a second and growls at his pocket. "But as Savior is insistent on reminding me, the timing seems to be perfect." Ortega stands up and starts to the door. "I never did ask your name, but would you like to accompany me?"

drack
2015-06-01, 03:23 PM
"Well, no and yes and no, you see they drew me now not here, I'd imagine anyone could... perfect timing? accompany?" Carefully timothy thinks it over, examining the man's futures and motives before at last he shrugs. "Very well, I assume you want me to..." He trails off as if what he was offering was obvious.

meemaas
2015-06-03, 06:29 PM
"I don't know what you're thinking of. I figured we could take the scenic route to see what is going on face to face." As he leads Timmothy out of his demiplane, he begins to contort his form, very quickly turning into what looks like a horse with bat wings, much larger than Timmothy, although with his back end lowered as if to invite him to climb on. While waiting for Timmothy to get on, his face melds into the back of the creature's head, and he speaks again to the man. "Climb on. I figure we can continue our conversation like this while we head out."

drack
2015-06-03, 06:34 PM
Hesitantly timothy mounts before clarifying "You know, look, to see if I can see who killed her..."

meemaas
2015-06-03, 06:43 PM
"I wish not to dwell on that. If her killer is still alive after all this time, then it is likely that he too shall be called by this phenomenon." The creature that Ortega transformed into takes off into flight and starts to move disturbingly fast compared to most mortal creatures, shooting off in a seemingly random direction as it gains some altitude.

Knowledge Religion check to choose a place that is important to the Gods or otherwise a good logical place for one to be. [roll0]

drack
2015-06-03, 06:45 PM
"Right... of course..." Timothy responds absentmindedly as he takes in the sights.

BelGareth
2015-06-10, 09:35 PM
The impact crater was still smoking, the ground almost still rumbling from the great energies that blasted into it, halting the humanoid in its tracks.

Most humanoids would be obliterated by such an event, others would be staggered at the very least, and yet this one stepped cautiously from it, the smoke and dust splaying around his visage like a prow through water.

His eyes scanned the area with a quizzical frown, as if he did not belong here. He took another step, and a being materialized into existence, as if transforming from the very air, first a leg then another, as though the human was striding towards the man, from the very air itself.

The being bows curtly to the other.

"Has everything been set in place?" he asks the new comer, as if expecting him.

The man recovers from his bow and nods "Yes you grace, everything is in place"

~~~

People across the realm had seen several different comets, things that were not part of prophecy, or foretold of, each comet gave off a different hue, but each smashed into the earth with the force to level a small town. One such comet fell into Baldur's Gate, destroying several street blocks from the impact. A few moments afterwards, the city was aflame, burning with the rage of an angry god.

~~~

Charlotte looked frantic, which was strange for such a beautiful women. Being one of the most powerful priests on the planet didn't help to settle her nerves, and so too were the priests chanting in the spell-circle worried.

They continued to chant as she watched with a raised eyebrow, looking for signs or portents.

This should call them, any who can help, I'm not sure why they refuse to answer their gods, but if this doesn't make them stir, then I am not sure what will.

She finished the last lines and the spell formed, wrapping a silverly sheen over everyone like a net, and then pulling on everything as if the center of the room suddenly gained a momentary center of gravity. Then with a flash, the silver net vanished.

She shuddered and whispered a silent prayer to...who? would they still here her?

She shook her head and shuddered slightly...

~~~

[Each and everyone of you hears this thought appear in your mind, with a location of a cottage in the woods outside of Baldur's Gate]

*Please, listen and heed my words, you have been chosen by Fate, chosen by your Abilities, and your Choices, you are able to change the outcome of what will happen, and you are needed, I need you, all of Faerun needs you. Please, come, heed my plea and listen to my tale*

meemaas
2015-06-10, 10:58 PM
Ortega

Ortega continues in his flight as the voice appears in his head. As he veers in the direction of Baldur's Gate, he lowers back towards the ground, his form changing into that of a large bird, manipulating itself to keep Timmothy on his back safely, he'd perch near the top of a tree he was flying over, to stop and talk to his companion.
"Remember what I said? Whatever the reason you were able to stumble upon my sanctuary, this crisis had a hand in it. It is as I guessed. Everything happens for a reason. That all said, would you like to accompany me as i seek out this cottage that we were presented?" He stops for a second, thinking about it. "Assuming, of course, that you were presented the same thing. I should assume so, no ordinary person can do what you've done so far."

drack
2015-06-11, 05:57 PM
"Cottage..." Timothy Tobbler trails off. There was so much more to this then that, there was so much that they didn't see, that they didn't understand, that... Slowly it dawns on him that what's coming won't be between thugs, it won't be some petty confrontation in a tavern, and it sure as the nine wasn't going to end as nicely as his last such encounter. As he glanced over the landscape he saw it rise and fall, cities born in the flicker of an instant and as quickly reduced to rubble. Moss grew and broke even the largest stone to soil where a vast forest would grow. He saw cataclysms as grand as these deities could possibly cause, and he saw the lull between them. Oh how he wished he were presently in one such lull. Turning his attention to the cottage he saw how this would transpire without him, he saw the terrible blows of fate that might fell a man or even a god, and so he knew what he must do. With gods fielded into play there was no guarantee he would survive, but there never was, not with all that could possibly happen all the time. This time he'd have less control, but he knew he had to try as he might to mitigate what terrible fates he may. "... lets go..." he half whispers in a voice laced tight with regret.

Starmage21
2015-06-12, 11:38 AM
Sylaz Traud

Sylaz stared into his bowl of stew, now cold. He had issued his prayer, and heard nothing, until now. His head snapped up, looking about the bar, and noticing that he had sat there most of the night, most of the patrons having gone home at this point. The place was quiet, and apparently no one else had heard what he did. He speaks to himself:

"I will go to this cottage, I will see what this is about."

He packs his things, hastily, but stops on his way out of the door to leave three silvers on the table for the wench. Sylaz was ready for this, and had been waiting for this, since he felt the presence of his lord in the world. He had been to The City of Baldur's Gate before, this journey would be swift, but important.

He spoke an arcane word, and his form faded away in shades of blue and grey, disappearing from The Thirsty Dragon as he teleports to the gates of Baldur's Gate.

meemaas
2015-06-13, 08:09 AM
"Cottage..." Timothy Tobbler trails off. There was so much more to this then that, there was so much that they didn't see, that they didn't understand, that... Slowly it dawns on him that what's coming won't be between thugs, it won't be some petty confrontation in a tavern, and it sure as the nine wasn't going to end as nicely as his last such encounter. As he glanced over the landscape he saw it rise and fall, cities born in the flicker of an instant and as quickly reduced to rubble. Moss grew and broke even the largest stone to soil where a vast forest would grow. He saw cataclysms as grand as these deities could possibly cause, and he saw the lull between them. Oh how he wished he were presently in one such lull. Turning his attention to the cottage he saw how this would transpire without him, he saw the terrible blows of fate that might fell a man or even a god, and so he knew what he must do. With gods fielded into play there was no guarantee he would survive, but there never was, not with all that could possibly happen all the time. This time he'd have less control, but he knew he had to try as he might to mitigate what terrible fates he may. "... lets go..." he half whispers in a voice laced tight with regret.

Ortega nodded softly, and took back off, shooting off into the distance at a surprising speed. As he did, he took in the sights on the path he had chosen to take, taking in the changes that time had wrought since his time. He continued to speak softly to Timmothy as they flew, simple small talk.

Some time later, he sets down close to the gates of Baldur's Gate, allowing Timmothy to get off as he reverted to his human form. He turns to Timmothy and smiles. "Looks like we're here. Would you like to take a look at what happened to this place before we got here?" He asks inquisitively, wondering if Timmothy's power was useful here.

drack
2015-06-13, 03:28 PM
"What... do you mean?" Timothy asks blankly as six crystals spring into life about his arm, floating as they gently circle it, making their way to float about his head.

Mousedigits
2015-06-13, 05:21 PM
I was on a standard adventure with my team, y'know, the usual stuff. A dungeon needed clearing, ghosts or something like that. You tend to pick up patterns like that, when you're an adventurer. Comes with experience.

So, we were in said dungeon, hacking throuhg various types of undead. Ghouls, ghosts, zombies, the whole shebang. Eventually, we got to the bottom, killed the dragon at the end, and came back up, with thousands of gold pieces, along with legendary weapons, armor, rings, and the like. So, in other words, nothing out of the ordinary for that day.

Or, so I thought. As we were exiting, I heard this vioice in my head, telling me to go to some cottage near Baldur's Gate. Okay, I could go. Sounded prettty important. If "All of Faerun needs you," then of course it's pretty important. And, if a Tiefling were to help to save Faerun, it'd heal the negative image most have of them, wouldn't it?

So I told the team I needed to leave for a while, and they weren't opposed to it. We'd been doing a lot recently, and I think everyone was ready for a break. The only thing is, I'd be the only one not getting it.

Oh well.

BelGareth
2015-06-13, 08:41 PM
As those you who arrive at the cottage, certain strange things happen, to those of you who are experienced (all), such things are not surprising at a powerful magi's location, but surprisingly, they are affecting even your most powerful abilities/spells...

Your power of insight seem to become blurry, if not...flickering? as you arrive near the cottage, you noticed a mile out, or so, from the cottage.

When you focus on the speaker in your mind, you cannot, as if something is willing it to stay hidden from you, a strong will, one of the strongest wills you have ever met.

It was not a mortal will.

You know nothing about a famous, or powerful being called Charlotte around or near to Baldurs Gate, not even from trawling the great depths of historical knowledge that rests in your mind.

Your powers and abilities work, they just do not provide any information.

<mechanically>
Your powers function, but no information is forthcoming, they stopped working ~1 mile to the cottage. This includes the Metafaculty, Hindsight/Foresight.
You're fairly certain any divination/Clairsentience spell/power will be affected likewise.
This is assumed for Timothy/Drack, anyone else can get this with a DC spellcraft 50 check
</mechanically>

drack
2015-06-13, 10:26 PM
Timothy Tobbler shrugs off the strange question. "Someone went to allot of trouble to keep this place safe, we may as well at least go in." Following his own advice he opens the door and walks in with all the bold bravery as he'd shown doing so only a few hours ago, even down to the darting eyes and suspicious glances he cast every witch way.

meemaas
2015-06-13, 10:59 PM
Ortega

Ortega followed after Timmothy, letting him lead the way as he speaks quietly to him. "I was talking about seeing the past. Are you able to see what occurred here? Or was I mistaken in your abilities? I didn't think you were reading my mind, but I guess that may have been a possibility too." He rambles on for a short while before the two of them actually make it inside the cottage door.

Starmage21
2015-06-17, 09:25 AM
Sylaz

Sylaz watches the two apparent companions enter the cottage from behind a nearby tree. He wasnt sure who they were, but he took the time to size them up. The blue-robed daft-looking one wouldnt be much of a threat, but looking a bit much like the only thing he could say is "hodor", and carrying even a partial conversation reveals the ruse. The other one also had a convincing disguise, Sylaz thought to himself.
Still, if he is to serve his lord best, this is where he must be. And he approaches the cottage, hands holding only his shield, to appear as non-threatening as possible.

drack
2015-06-18, 08:13 PM
Ortega

Ortega followed after Timmothy, letting him lead the way as he speaks quietly to him. "I was talking about seeing the past. Are you able to see what occurred here? Or was I mistaken in your abilities? I didn't think you were reading my mind, but I guess that may have been a possibility too." He rambles on for a short while before the two of them actually make it inside the cottage door.

"No, I don't see... or... time isn't... No, it's..." Lamely Timothy finishes "complicated." as his hand turns the knob, pushing the door inward.

Mousedigits
2015-06-22, 10:27 AM
Daelo flies to the cottage, looking down. There were already some people entering. As he expected, he wasn't the only one to get the message.

He waits for everyone in sight to enter the cottage, then flies down and enters, making sure his weapon was out. You can never be too careful, especially with strangers.