PDA

View Full Version : Why I had been this forum while I never played D&D and had no plan for playing?

With a box
2015-05-30, 09:09 AM
Because, I had done that for more then a year.... :smallconfused:
Why I had done that?

lonewulf
2015-05-30, 09:15 AM
Because dinosaurs are extinct?

JW86
2015-05-30, 09:16 AM
Don't know, you havn't manifested Mindlink.

Glimbur
2015-05-30, 09:35 AM
I'm a little rusty at my psychoanalysis, but I'll give it a shot. Why don't you start by telling me about your mother?

The Vagabond
2015-05-30, 09:42 AM
Because-
Just watching the sheer amount people can do is interesting.
Reading people make things is interesting.
Watching a machine function is neat.

Pluto!
2015-05-30, 10:02 AM
Masochism?

ithildur
2015-05-30, 10:03 AM
Because, I had done that for more then a year.... :smallconfused:
Why I had done that?

Err... someone translate this??

heavyfuel
2015-05-30, 10:06 AM
Err... someone translate this??

I think he's saying he has never played D&D and doesn't plan to start, and yet, he's on this forum on an almost daily basis.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-30, 10:10 AM
Because it's really, really fun to theorycraft? That's a huge part of what we do here.

Saintheart
2015-05-30, 10:26 AM
Because ... this is where all the cool kids hang out?

paranoidbox
2015-05-30, 10:37 AM
Because life gave you lemons, and you were like, "If only I knew some lemoncrafters," so you came here.

ericgrau
2015-05-30, 10:54 AM
Because it's really, really fun to theorycraft? That's a huge part of what we do here.

I think it's this one. Theorycrafting is almost it's own entity separate from D&D. If you were to actually play D&D and don't know the specifics of all the tricks you may be surprised that it is quite a different animal. Which is something you could get into or not get into independent of the theorycrafting.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-30, 10:57 AM
I think it's this one. Theorycrafting is almost it's own entity separate from D&D. If you were to actually play D&D and don't know the specifics of all the tricks you may be surprised that it is quite a different animal. Which is something you could get into or not get into independent of the theorycrafting.

I definitely agree. When I'm not playing, I'm a huge theorycrafter - crunching numbers is just too much fun. But in-game I've found (at least lately) that I'm much more concerned with the collaborative storytelling aspect, because it's not every day that you get to sit down with a bunch of friends and create something entirely new and uniquely yours.

Except it almost is every day for me because as of tomorrow I'll be in three games at once.

eggynack
2015-05-30, 11:01 AM
True enough. I spent a lot of time lurking here before playing any of the game, and then even while playing, I spent massively more time thinking about optimization stuff than I did actually gaming.

YossarianLives
2015-05-30, 11:05 AM
We have some pretty well-written and intelligent articles on this forum. We argue about alignment a lot.

You should get into RPGs at some point.

EisenKreutzer
2015-05-30, 11:22 AM
I can relate to this, actually. I have no interest in miniature wargaming, and yet I subscribe to several Warhammer channels on YouTube and view videos of gameplay almost daily. I am just really fascinated by the painted miniatures and the simulated tabletop combat, even though I don't feel an urge to start playing.

atemu1234
2015-05-30, 11:55 AM
We have some pretty well-written and intelligent articles on this forum. We argue about alignment a lot.

You should get into RPGs at some point.

Yes, you should. I concur with Masterkerfuffle.

gooddragon1
2015-05-30, 12:25 PM
Because ... this is where all the cool kids hang out?

All the cool kids + (perform verb, possess noun, are adjective). The single best reason for any action.

All the cool kids use two handed swords. Statement of fact.

Pluto!
2015-05-30, 01:59 PM
It's fun watching people snobbishly squabble about things that don't come close to mattering to anybody ever?

Azoth
2015-05-30, 02:48 PM
Another option might be that you have an interest in game design. Coming here frequently let's you see threads on how thing can interact and change how a game is played, how poor wording allows for loopholes to bypass rules/restrictions, how class/feat/spell design can greatly imbalance things and much much more.

Clistenes
2015-05-30, 02:59 PM

Yep. I think people actually only uses a minimal part of the stuff that is discussed here...How many players really reach the point at which they can fight gods, steal Divinity, conquer Abyssal layers, create Demiplanes and destroy planets? I, for my part, don't use 99 % of the stuff that I speak about.

Hell, I have posted in 5th edition threads and I still haven't played it, just read the books...

Pluto!
2015-05-30, 03:13 PM
Another option might be that you have an interest in game design. Coming here frequently let's you see threads on how thing can interact and change how a game is played, how poor wording allows for loopholes to bypass rules/restrictions, how class/feat/spell design can greatly imbalance things and much much more.
I don't think this is a thing. Phrasing game rules in such a way that is airtight to willfully over-literal rules interpretations is the least important skill you could have in making a fun or interesting game, and is the last thing that anyone notices when browsing new systems.

This forum has embraced a bizarrely detail-obsessed and self-aggrandizing approach to gaming that conflicts with enough new members' experiences. And when they voice their opposition to this forum's ban-enforced consensus, that beautiful car crash repeats itself week after week after week.

Azoth
2015-05-30, 03:26 PM
I don't think this is a thing. Phrasing game rules in such a way that is airtight to willfully over-literal rules interpretations is the least important skill you could have in making a fun or interesting game, and is the last thing that anyone notices when browsing new systems.

This forum has embraced a bizarrely detail-obsessed and self-aggrandizing approach to gaming that conflicts with enough new members' experiences. And when they voice their opposition to this forum's ban-enforced consensus, that beautiful car crash repeats itself week after week after week.

This is true, but understanding how these thing come about and what levels of power are achieved with them can help you in balancing your own system. Forums are a great place to understand the most powerful abilities a game has to offer and what makes them function to that degree. This allows you to better design things to not be at such a far end of the design spectrum.

The same can be said to the effects of what are considered the weakest abilities. Understanding the inherent shortcomings of certain abilities would allow you to see where and how you need to improve them to interact with your own system.

This forum is full of threads that are centered around nerfing the strongest abilities and bolstering the weaker ones. It is also full of homebrew treads and a sub community of people who love to help and critique submissions to bring them to a playable balance point.