PDA

View Full Version : Add a Dash of Epic...

Mr. Moogle
2007-04-22, 10:56 PM
This forum is dedicated to all epic moments in DnD, taking down a Lich with a toothpick, building a raft of spoons Etc.

Mine is one about a level seven party i had the privalage of joining. At the time it consisted of a Warblade (nicknamed "Bonecrusher for the ability he blatantly overused), a (worthless) Gnome Cleric, a "jadeling" (overpowered race) Archer, a Human Swashbuckler, and me a Human Monk (nicknamed "Carrot top" for red hair).

We were on a desert island hoping to carry out a quest that would (hopefully) sheild are minds from a evil being called the "Desert Prophet" (an incredibly hard psionic) by getting a touching shrine that canceled out his harmful effects. Well we got on the island and suffered through several high level enounters befor finally approachng the shine mountain. Here is what happened.

DM: *rolls spot* You all see a flickering red shape on the horizon, as it closes in you can make out other details, namly a large mouth filled with very pointy looking teeth and reptilian scales all over, it is a red dragon.
*everyone but archer gets in full defence, archer draws bow*

Archer: i shoot it with two ice arrows!
DM: *rolls* they both clink off its natural armor and it rushes twoards you
Archer: CRAP

30 seconds later the archer is in the dragons teeth and 100 feet away.

Me: if i charge i can make it all the way to the dragon.
DM: but its 20 feet off the ground
Me: So? I jump
DM: *rolls* well you make the jump, now what do you want to do?
Me: I grab on to it!
DM: you cant be serious
Me: i totally am!
DM: allright *rolls* natural 20 you make it, you are now clinging to the dragons hide.
Swashbuckler: DUDE YOUR RETARDED!!!!
Me: shut your face

After several pointless rounds i eventually get the courage to climb up and save the archer.

DM: *rolls climb* you successfully manuver your way towards the bleeding screaming archer, what do you do
Me: i pry open its teeth
DM: *rolls* Oh My God, natural 20, you free the archer, but theres only one problem, your 20 feet above the ground with nothing between the hard earth and the falling archer besides the Gnome Cleric
Gnome: i catch 'im!
DM: *rolls* you both take 20 leathal damage

Later, the Warblade drank a potion of Fly and elarge person and is chasing the dragon. Miraculously im still on it's back. We are now 90 feet in the air

DM: the dragon's eyes glow and he vanishes from sight, Carrot top make a balance check
Me: *rolls* 19
DM you are now clinging on to an invisible dragon that you dont fall off of, thank god.
Warblade: wait, i can see it because of carrot top right?
DM: kind of
Warblade: BONECRUSHER BIATCH!!!

well the warblade kills it but now im standing on a DEAD red dragon 90 feet in the air

Me: i jomp on Bonecrusher
DM: you make it but he has to make strength check... he fails.
Me: CRAP!!!

he was able to fly back up but i plummeted 90 feet to my (apparent) demise.

DM: roll your tumble
Me: *rolls* NATURAL 20 W00T!!!!!
DM: then you only take 30 points of leathal damage, Your Not DEAD!!!

And that is my epic story:smallbiggrin: post yours!!

ocato
2007-04-22, 11:44 PM
This was a sort of goofball nothing better to do adventure made for two people. I was a Vampire fighter for no real reason and my friend was a halfling rogue, and we were in this underground tunnel. We had recently snuck past a sleeping, one-eyed dragon in another room and had found the treasure vaults. But they were on a floating platform in the center of a spherical room where the walls were covered in spears. Like I said, sort of a goofball quest. Then the dragon wakes up, for some reason that I can't even remember, and comes barreling down the tunnel at us. So my friend stabs me in the back with his grappling hook and makes me spider climb to the top of the tunnel. Then he swings tarzan style and "kicks it in the teeth".

So me and him and the dragon are all flying down the tunnel because he's got too much momentum going to stop, the halfing in his mouth and me stuck to his forehead, and we slide into the spear room. It turns out the spear room was designed to kill me (or turn me into gaseous form, technically) and they all automatically flew out and stabbed the largest creature. IE the dragon.

This wasn't so much epic as the look on my face when my friend said that which we still to this day quote when a bad idea turns out well. "Then I'm gonna kick the dragon in the teeth... and... whatever that does."

TheOOB
2007-04-23, 12:09 AM
My party killed a fairly nasty white dragon in one turn, with damage dealing spells no less. We walked into the dragons cave, where the dragon was over 100 feet in the air, clinging to the ceiling invisible with his iceclimbing ability and a ton of buffs. Heres how the battle went.

Cleric - Targeted Dispel Magic removing all the buffs
Wizard(Me) - Empowered Fireball (double damage plus melting the ice, causing it to fall down to the ground), Quickened Empowered Scorching Ray
Hexblade(Cohort) - 2x Criticals with Flaming Keen Scythe
Drunken Master - Three hits with Ki Fire fists
Rogue - Kick the Dragons Corpse

Black Mage
2007-04-23, 12:21 AM
Rogue - Kick the Dragons Corpse

Awesome.

My group has decided that, if you roll three natural 20's in a row, you automaticly kill whatever you're attacking.

So, in an old throw away game with my friends, one of them got a triple crit on a great wyrm blue with his great sword...three natural 20's in a row. Killing it. In one hit. On the first round after winning init. Then, later that night, he managed to do the same thing, against a pit fiend. It made the DM cry. Us laugh. That d20 has never performed that well since that night though.

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-23, 12:28 AM
Well, here's mine. Kinda funny actually. Only people in the campaign who have played the game before are me and the DM. Party is a human blaster wizard (Don't ask me why he isn't playing a sorcerer), an elf cleric, an elf ranger, a human fighter and me, a human rogue with max hit points: 11 :smallannoyed: . We're level four.

So we end up fighting some uber caster guy who has this curse that makes him really strong, and also evil. I get knocked out in the surprise round, due to the aforementioned 11 hit points. After a couple rounds the fighter is unconscious, the cleric is on his last hit point, the ranger is hiding in a corner and the wizard, sans legs, is propped up against a wall and out of spells.

It's the wizards turn.
DM: so what are you going to do?
Wizard: I throw my scythe at him!
DM: You throw your scythe? :smallconfused:
Wizard: Yeah!
DM: Umm, ok... roll to hit.
Wizard: *Natural 20* so I hit right?
DM: Yes. Also, roll to confirm crit
Wizard: *Rolls 19* Is that a crit?
DM: Yes. He now has a scythe embedded in his chest. Roll for damage.
Wizard: Ok, so how many dice do I roll?
Me: eight.

Tallis
2007-04-23, 01:33 AM
We were fighting the army of an evil cult, my dwarf fighter (with a vorpal battle axe) and another fighter were seperated from the group. 3 mages were casting at us while a red dragon closed in. Seemed like a good time for my buddy to practice his dwarf tossing. He picked me up and threw me at:the mages? no. the dragon? no. a tree? YES!! A tree which I managed to chop down in one swng from the aforementioned vorpal axe. On the 3 mages. Killing them. Next round I got up, charged the dragon and chopped off his head.
I was about level 8.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-04-23, 03:39 AM
I love these threads.
I can just direct y'all to my signature and you can read the story of the League of Extraordinarily Badass Mother#%@ers.

Pienterekaak
2007-04-23, 04:28 AM
killed a god with a magic missile (we were epic level and the dm sad he was about to fall down from wounds)

so fully metamagiced magic missle FTW

Angel of Death
2007-04-23, 07:13 AM
Im a ranger/assassin anthro monkey(CE), playing with a paladin, and a priest agianst four of some kind of super vampire. We're actually level 14 but about seven after level drain from the vamps. the too Good characters (and the ones with all the undead smiting abilities) have run off and hid.

ME: I grap the two closest vampires, *reaches for dice*
DM: Dont bother roll they let you and *rolls* drain 4 more levels
ME:I jump out the window drop them and grab for the window sill
DM: *stunned silence* roll a grapple and climb check
ME: *rolls* 18 and 14, good enough?
DM: *glares and nods*
ME: Well then i climb back in grab the closets vamp and throw him out the window
DM: Roll grapple
ME: *rolls* nat 20
DM: He goes flying out the window
ME: I AM A VAMPIRE KILLING MONEY GOD!
DM: the last vampire hits you and you die.

Nahal
2007-04-23, 08:34 AM
killed a god with a magic missile (we were epic level and the dm sad he was about to fall down from wounds)

In my first campaign I kept a body count of the number of NPC's had been killed by magic missile spells or detonations triggered by them. 1 epic-level BBEG and about 50 of his acolytes, a massive abomination the size of a titan, 1 high-level sorceror underboss, and a village of about 200 are all I can remember off the top of my head. Each item in that list died due to a single MM casting.

The Glyphstone
2007-04-23, 10:37 AM

Now THAT is a really "Epic" victory.:smallbiggrin:

Catch
2007-04-23, 11:00 AM
Awesome.

My group has decided that, if you roll three natural 20's in a row, you automaticly kill whatever you're attacking.

I had a buddy who used this rule in his game. He also used the dated (and pointless) rule that if you roll a natural 1, you end up attacking yourself.

Combine the two and...

His GMPC ended up cutting his own head off with a spiked chain.

Best. Session. Ever.

Human Paragon 3
2007-04-23, 02:13 PM
I was DMing an encounter with a red dragon, and got this amazing result...

Me: You charge in, the dragon uses his breath weapon... Fighter is toast.
Highly Optmized Archer: I attempt to ground the dragon, aiming my arrows at his tendons (we were allowing called shots at the time with a -4 penalty) Two natural 20s and a 19 with massive critical damage- good, but the dragon's still in the air.
Rogue: I hide and wait for my moment to strike...
The wizard uses a couple small spells, then glides down onto the treasure horde, looking for some magical item to help them out of dire straits. Instead, he drinks a potion without knowing what it is, and it shrinks him to 6 in. high!
The archer takes 3 more shots at the tendons, delivering two more critical hits, which I rule grounds the dragon. The dragon casts Shield to prevent further arrow carnage... but not before being riddled with a few more nice hits.

The rogue comes out of hiding and finds a magical dagger in the treasure horde, butnNext round, the dragon unleaches another breath weapon, killing the rogue outright.

This is when the wizard is hit with a stroke of brilliance.

The tiny, barely percievable wizard, climbs up the dragon, finds an arrow wound in its neck, and drops in a pebble for his Pebble to Boulder spell (dc 18 climb check, dc 19 balance check, dc 20 concentration check)

Boom! One exploded dragon head coming right up.

Mr. Moogle
2007-04-23, 09:29 PM
I love dragon-owning adventures :smallbiggrin:

ocato
2007-04-23, 09:38 PM
During a rough fight versus a giant dinosaur, my wizard was swallowed. While in his neck, the wizard opted to sacrifice himself to save his friends. By centering a maximized fireball on himself.

Blew the T-Rex's head clean off.

Ryuuk
2007-04-23, 10:28 PM
Well, I’m gonna run my brothers through a demon heavy adventure starting at level 10. They have never actually fought demons or made level 10 characters, so I proposed a mock battle beforehand. The first PC is a Warblade 5 / Bloodstorm Blade 5 with a Wounding Scythe and the other one is a Warblade 1 / Fighter (Kensai Varient) 2 / Warblade 2 / Kensai (prestige class) 4 / Warblade 1 with a Double Sword. So it’s a two man party with two warrior types. I look for an appropriate monster and decide on the Hezrou.

Anyway, I’d never run demons either as I’m sure some can make out from my choice, but we start anyway. Within a few rounds and a Blasphemy later the Kensai is on the floor nauseated and paralyzed, the BB is just sickened and paralyzed, both took a hefty amount of Str damage and I think it’s pretty much over. We keep going anyway, the BB goes up, uses Iron Heart Surge (from what my understanding it seems like a solely mental action so it ignored paralyzes) and drags the Kensai out of the reach of Stench. I have the Hezrou try to summon, but he fails, Kensai can’t do anything for a round and the BB recovers his maneuvers. The Hezrou hits them with a Chaos Hammer and slows the Kensai, but now the Kensai can finally act and surges out of the paralysis, using a round of haste from his armor to cancel the slow. The BB makes his way up onto a ceiling and starts pelting it with his scythe (so far he’d dealt about 4 con damage and an average of 10 per through if you subtracted the damage reduction). The Hezrou then decides to charge bringing them both back into the Stench.

They finally get lucky and make their saves, suddenly the tide turns. Everyone starts trading full attacks, Scythes start flying, the Two bladed sword starts attacking 4 times per round thanks to haste. The Hezrou starts focusing on the Kensai since he’d taken the most damage, but he can’t even touch him thanks to Pearl of Black doubt. It gets to the point were it’s hp’s are around 50, so I decide to have him Greater TP out next round. The Kensai goes up and decides to use Ruby Nightmare Blade to double his damage. He rolls a crit. Suddenly, the guy who had spent most of the encounter on the floor vomiting does 3d6+39 damage and brings the beast to a measly 4 HP. BB’s turn, the throws his Scythe one last time and finishes off the CR 11 critter.

The fight took over an hour, but they said that that was one of the best encounters they’d ever had. I just hope I can live up to it once the adventure starts.

Lord Tataraus
2007-04-24, 10:57 AM
Well, mines kind of short.

This was a naval campaign (i.e. groups of islands and lots of boating) with 1770s technology extreme low-magic (magic was basicly a strange mystical force). The group is sailing towards an ancient island to explore some ruins when the captain (a PC) spots a ship with black sails and a black flag with a red skull. The pirate ship is closing in on them from an angle, but the captain does some quick math to figure out that by staying on course his boat will pass within 100ft of the bow of the pirate ship, allowing to open fire from the port cannons. So the battle progresses and the cannons take out one of two masts on the pirate ship (they picked up an expert artillerists before leaving) in the first round possible. The pirates (Hadozees) jump from the mast and glide towards the PC's ship. In the following rounds, the warriors and PCs on board slaughter the pirates and the cannons take out the last mast. The pirate ship is on oar power now and begins to flee. The captain decides to make one last pot-shot at the fleeing boat and orders a cannon that was moved to the back ealier to be fired. So, he rolls the artillerist's attack, nat 20. He rolls again, nat 20. Everyone looks at each other (we use 3 nat 20s are instant kill). He rolls once more, nat 20. The group bursts out laughing as I explain how the rear cannon fires and the pirate ship explodes on impact.

Of course after that explosion the captain (a german foreign-exchange student) pulls up a video on youtube of the Bismarck and the Hood (can't get the link right now). And it was exactly like that.

Edit: Finally got the link. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=rdZqQ5C7pN0)