PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Ideas for Info Gathering in Medieval Politics

NRSASD
2015-05-30, 05:56 PM
Hi everyone! So I'm running a campaign where the PCs are trying to determine who is secretly controlling the King of the country they're in. I already know who is and how, but I've got several red herring NPCs who have the motive and the ability to do so, but aren't. I want to hear suggestions for methods on how the PCs can eliminate possibilities, leaving them with the true villain by the end of it.

I've already used the break-in-and-read-the-conveniently-placed-diary, and I'm going to use tailing-and-eavesdropping and have-a-high-level-caster-scry-an-answer later on. The big thing is that this is a relatively magic-light setting, so while magic does happen its not as prevalent as standard D&D.

Thanks for your input!

Yora
2015-05-30, 06:00 PM
What kind of setting do you have? Fall of Rome middle ages are very different from Discovery of America middle ages.All aboard the procrastination train! Last stop till who-knows-where!

hydroplatypus
2015-05-30, 07:21 PM
The servants of anyone important tend to know all sorts of things. They could try bribing/persuading one or two of the servants to talk about what their employer is up to.

Perhaps the noble hired some mercenaries for some reason and "forgot" to pay them. I imagine they'd be willing to spill everything they know for money - or a favor.

If they know someone told the king to do X on the 21st of July, they could check to see where people were that day. For instance if someone was out of town with his mistress, he's probably not the one doing so. So that comes down to figuring out the person's schedule.

They could try to intercept the noble's mail, and see what their saying to various people.

NRSASD
2015-05-30, 08:18 PM
It's set in a high medieval 1100's-1300's setting, more or less. The Kingdom has a rather weak central government, with the counts wielding a lot of power and fielding their own forces. The Kingdom can levy troops and taxes from the other counties though.

I can't believe I forgot about servants! You're totally right about that. Good ideas!

Shadowsend
2015-05-31, 06:35 AM
Don't forget the vice-workers. Prostitutes and thieves can hear tons of information. There are also couriers and town criers and magistrates that are involved. They can be spies for nobles if you don't want them banding together. Also, rivalries have a strong place in politics, especially when the question is not "can I stay in power" but "can I add more to what I already have?" and "how do I defend my power?" Minor disputes became major ones really quickly. Someone already controlling the king might make a mistake and cause his/her rivals to become embroiled in royal politics for their petty actions where he might inappropriately gain the king's blessing. A poisoning could also help narrow the field if your players get really stumped.

LibraryOgre
2015-05-31, 10:24 AM
Also consider that the counts will have their own opinions. They may not be RIGHT, but a count may be more approachable than a king, and so you might be able to score face-time with them and probe them for information on court politics.

Also consider the clergy. If you've got a medievalish setting, the clergy definitely have influence, if only because they tend to have influence among the commoners. A PC who is a member of a clerical order may wind up getting manipulated by his superiors, and climbing that order may give a view of how the clerical order views the reins of power in the country.

And, lastly, the merchant class. They're not very strong in the 12th-14th centuries, but they do have information and they're also a network that extends beyond the local.

Honest Tiefling
2015-06-01, 03:33 PM
You know that old saying, 'An Heir and a Spare'? Must suck being a spare, you know...But they might have access to information, were you willing to do a few favors. And if they lose their spare status, well, they might be so grateful (Or blackmailed) to give you insider info on their dealings with others.

There's also ransom, through that is hardly repeatable. Seducing wives is probably good for something, given the era, it isn't like many of them held a great deal of power so might be willing to listen to a younger, handsome dude who might actually pay attention to what they have to say once in a while. Seducing male heirs more prone to hunting/whoring is also a good idea, why rely on whores when you can eliminate the middleman AND be in a position to kill them if need be? Also elevation of status can't hurt at all if you play your cards right.

mAc Chaos
2015-06-01, 05:23 PM
Have some other NPCs that the suspects wronged, that might be willing to divulge information.

Slipperychicken
2015-06-01, 06:35 PM
Hi everyone! So I'm running a campaign where the PCs are trying to determine who is secretly controlling the King of the country they're in. I already know who is and how, but I've got several red herring NPCs who have the motive and the ability to do so, but aren't. I want to hear suggestions for methods on how the PCs can eliminate possibilities, leaving them with the true villain by the end of it.

I'd start with looking at whoever's benefiting from the king's recent policies. Any changes that have happened since he was taken over (or the approximate time that happened) will be given greater weight, since those decisions would have been influenced by the controller.

Additionally, I'd see if I could get my hands on the kingdom's records (financial, military, otherwise). From there, I'd look for unusual payments, troop movements, constructions, or other changes starting after the approximate time the king started being influenced.

There's always the option of hitting up courtiers and retainers (i.e. the guys who hang around the king), and see if they noticed anything change about him. Also officials, military folks, advisers, anyone with access to the king. If anyone noticed anything, it''s them.

hydroplatypus
2015-06-01, 10:13 PM
Although more risky, they could also try spying on the king and/or his courtiers in order to figure out what they're doing. After all, if someone is controlling the king, they'll have to get their orders in somehow.

Crime lords - or whatever the medieval equivalent is - tend to know lots of dirty little secrets. Maybe they have a few on various nobles. Of course, they're unlikely to give up their secrets without payment - either in cash or favors.

They might reveal a scandalous secret about one or another minor noble - or manufacture one if they don't have one handy - and watch everyone reposition themselves in the aftermath. See who talks to who, who answers to who, etc. Should give a good idea of who the power players are in the court. For instance if Count A immediately goes to Duke B before doing anything significantly, Count A probably isn't significant enough to control the king. Otherwise he would have leveraged his position enough people would have been going to him for advice.

On the other hand, if they have scandalous information about someone more important available, perhaps they could just blackmail the person for more information.

If they can get a powerful noble onto their side - after ensuring he isn't the one behind all of this - they might be able to promise favors and/or bribes to lesser nobles in exchange for information. The noble probably isn't willing to part with his own stuff, but if he knows that you're getting close, he'll be positioning himself for the fall of the King. Knowing about that in advance... Suffice it to say he - along with the party if they position themselves correctly - will be playing kingmaker after everything comes crashing down.