PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying (PF) Paladins of Honor Gods and Party Promises

Desiani
2015-05-30, 06:53 PM
So... I have an interesting decision to make in the next session. My last summoner died and I am going to be playing either a NE Magus that follows one of the Four Horsemen, Charon, that leads into the Soul Drinker PrC or an Occultist (PF Binder) who wears the robes of a cleric and impersonates the Clergy of various deities as this world looks at pact magic in the same light as necromancy. They burn you at the stake if they know you practice either.

The scenario is essentially one of the group is a Paladin who follows a God of Honor, and boasts this to every person he meets. He specifically represents the god's love of those who makes and honors promises or oaths made in his name. My goal for either of these... less than honest individuals, is to make an oath of friendship and mutual protection from outside threats and betrayals. This oath is going to be vague enough to keep my ass alive, as I am purposefully not going to hide my methods of attacking, but strong enough to not allow the paladin to 'punish me' as he made an oath with the character.

Would you, as the paladin player/DM/fellow party member, view this as something that is feasible enough as to not make the paladin to Auto Fall because he is in group with someone 'evilish,' because the paladin specifically represents the Oath Honoring bit of his god?

Sure, I would be hiding my real self while making the oath. The oath itself though is genuine, even if I used means to hide my evil ways to get to make the oath in the first place. I have no intentions of ever betraying the oath I will make to the paladin.

Spore
2015-05-31, 10:02 AM
First of all, don't try to screw your fellow player over. I would advise a two way contract if that makes any sense. You are allowed to pull your powers from the great beyond but the paladin is the final arbiter on what is a good use of your powers and what is not. You may specify this even more. You can vanquish enemies of the party but not banish innocents or use their bodies and souls as fare to ask Charon for greater deeds (blood magic and suchsimilar to use life force instead of monetary sacrifices for benefits). I would highly suggest working this out out of character with both character's agendas and possibly the DM and then just playing it out afterwards for the whole table so the party knows about your pact.

Only a really stubborn DM would make the Paladin fall for a well written contract that particularly exempts vile deeds. Think about it: Unless you play a sensible Paladin, most of the time he executes or distrusts people for being evil.

Desiani
2015-06-01, 03:38 PM
Thing is, every one at the table knows my next char is going to be a fairly shady and or flat out not a good dude, and they are ok with it.

I was just wanting other people's opinions from various perspectives to this situation

Honest Tiefling
2015-06-01, 03:56 PM
If the paladin is on board with this, then I'd say, get his opinion. Since I assume a lot of the roleplay is going to be based around this character, ask THEM what would work best for the paladin. Then, I'd make sure to go with the idea with hooks for other people. No sense in making a character that can only interact with one PC! That'd quickly steal the spotlight, especially if the two of you are more outgoing then the rest of the table, and be less fun for them.

And please, make sure you two are on board with the same idea of what happens when this is found out. I'd iron out PvP rules early and if you expect one PC to take the fall. If the rest of the party is good...I'd suggest thinking if you are willing to take the fall yourself. It is what I would honestly do, but perhaps I'm more of the type to do such a thing for the conflict? I do get how it might be incredibly frustrating and unfulfilling for others.

Spore
2015-06-01, 05:37 PM
I've had a less-than-lawful rogue played in a group with an almost-lawful-neutral paladin. Due to being my first character in Pathfinder, my rogue could roll on ALL the skill only to suck at EVERYTHING. But the jokes between him and the paladin back and forth were some of my favorite gaming experiences yet. But I agree, don't make this your primary social play in between the group. And to be fair the DM solved many conflict points with his main quest. We were to find a secret to stop the rising of the currently dead god pharao of undeath (which subsequently leads to his huge treasure as he is known as the prince of jealous) motivating both characters to work together.

That's why said to include your DM it the process. You want just enough conflict for interesting dialogues and conflicting agendas, but enough trust and common goals to stick together as a team.