PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Ways to overcome ability penalty?

Jowgen
2015-05-30, 07:46 PM
I need to purchase Shadahkar's Swift Wind (Sandals) from Dragon 324 p. 75 for a character of mine as it grants feats he needs to qualify for a prestige class. However, the item comes with a drawback:

However, they make the wearer jittery and generally off-balance, causing a -2 penalty to dexterity

Would anyone happen to know of any means by which a character can ignore ability penalties? :smallannoyed:

Story
2015-05-31, 11:19 AM
Soulborn lets you ignore penalties to strength (great for Tibbits) but that won't help here.

Jowgen
2015-06-01, 03:59 AM
It would seem this is a genuinely difficult thing.

Lets say no solution is found, is there at least something clear out there about how/whether ability penalties stack with other ability penalties (e.g. fatigue) and damage?

frogglesmash
2015-06-01, 04:26 AM
The simplest answer would be to get a +2 bonus to dex, but I gather that that's not what you're looking for.

Jowgen
2015-06-01, 05:16 AM
The simplest answer would be to get a +2 bonus to dex, but I gather that that's not what you're looking for.

Unless I can get the bonus untyped, it would limit how much enhancement I can effectively slap on, so yeah. :smallfrown:

lonewulf
2015-06-01, 08:06 AM
There is no easy answer here....WHY do you want to ignore the penalty? Is there a specific reason or do you just not want any penalties ever?

Psyren
2015-06-01, 08:59 AM
It would seem this is a genuinely difficult thing.

Lets say no solution is found, is there at least something clear out there about how/whether ability penalties stack with other ability penalties (e.g. fatigue) and damage?

Penalties stack unless they are typed, which is rare (RC 21.) Fatigue's penalty isn't typed, and it doesn't look like the penalty from this item is typed either.

But really, a -2 isn't going to break your bank, and if you're getting what sounds like several feats in exchange (haven't read the item in question so not sure what you're getting in return) it sounds like it might be worth it. (Clearly it must be if you're considering buying it anyway.)

mabriss lethe
2015-06-01, 10:11 AM
A -2 penalty to your dex score will only wind up being a -1 to appropriate rolls. I'd say it's easier to just eat the penalty as the price of doing business.

lonewulf
2015-06-01, 10:59 AM
If worried about AC: wear heavier armor.

If worried about Initiative: feats Improved Initiative and Quick Reconnoiter.

If Finesse weapons: Weapon Focus.

If you just dont like penalties: Level up score bonuses every 4 levels OR the legendary "pay your DM $10 to make it go away"

KingSmitty
2015-06-01, 11:37 AM
perhaps the -2 to dex would make it so he no longer qualifies for a feat, or maybe loses the prereqs to a feat he wants to get?

ask your dm to add +2 dex to that item for 4k and negate the penalty and just call it Shadahkar’s Swifter Wind Sandals

Elandris Kajar
2015-06-01, 05:12 PM
perhaps the -2 to dex would make it so he no longer qualifies for a feat, or maybe loses the prereqs to a feat he wants to get?

ask your dm to add +2 dex to that item for 4k and negate the penalty and just call it Shadahkar’s Swifter Wind Sandals

Wouldn't it be more because of the multiple abilities clause? Plus it might be more because you don't want an enhancement bonus. Still the best idea so far.

KingSmitty
2015-06-01, 05:59 PM
Wouldn't it be more because of the multiple abilities clause? Plus it might be more because you don't want an enhancement bonus. Still the best idea so far.

true which would make it 6k more. But at that point you might as well get a +2 item and save 2k