PDA

View Full Version : Dragonwrought alter self

Theodred theOld
2015-05-30, 08:57 PM
What kind of forms would a 6th level DWK be able to take with alter self?

Ellowryn
2015-05-30, 08:59 PM
Any dragon of 5HD or less? Shadow is generally a good one, and there are a few others that give you really good NA and move speed at low HD.

Yael
2015-05-31, 07:26 AM
Mercury Dragon I think had 200 fly speed or something as a wyrmling... I don't remember quite well.

Tome Dragon for sorcerer spells from all the divination school for each level available.

Theodred theOld
2015-05-31, 11:42 AM
Would I be able to take humanoid forms or would I be stuck(!?!) with only dragons.

Bayar
2015-05-31, 11:46 AM
Would I be able to take humanoid forms or would I be stuck(!?!) with only dragons.

You lose the humanoid type when taking the Dragonwought feat, so you are stuck with only dragons.

JW86
2015-05-31, 12:58 PM
Good list here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?303204-The-Truest-of-the-True-A-Handbook-to-non-Kobold-Dragons-(WIP))

WhamBamSam
2015-05-31, 02:10 PM
Would I be able to take humanoid forms or would I be stuck(!?!) with only dragons.If you really wanted to use it to disguise yourself as a humanoid, you could take Assume Supernatural Ability (Steel Wyrmling's Alternate Form). But really, dragon alter self forms are so much better than humanoid ones that you really can't claim to be "stuck" in that regard. You may as well complain that dragon movement speeds frequently clear the limits of what Alter Self can give you.

Mercury Wyrmling (Dragons of Faerun) gives you tiny size and 120ft (perfect) flight (it's 200, but Alter Self caps at 120, perfect maneuverability is really nice though).

The White Wyrmling has all four movement modes at pretty decent speeds (hitting the caps Alter Self sets for both fly and swim, though flight maneuverability is only average (that is to say, the same maneuverability as the best flying humanoid Alter Self form at more than twice the speed)).

You can get high natural armor (+8) from the Bozzak Draconian (Dragonlance Campaign Setting), or get almost that high (+7) along with decent flight speed (as in clearing the 120ft cap, albeit at average maneuverabily) by turning into a Shadow Dragon Wyrmling (Draconomicon).

Unless you're screwing around with Assume Supernatural Ability or Metamorphic Transfer, breaking the HD cap with Reserves of Strength (in which case all bets are off), looking for unique natural attacks (like the tail blades Styx Dragons have instead of more easily replaceable claws), or something, those four are probably the best dragon alter self forms. Pseudodragon also slightly edges out the White Wyrmling's stealth due to a racial skill bonus unless you need the alternate movement modes. I unfortunately don't know of any dragons under 6 HD that beat the White Wyrmling's 30ft burrow speed.

Good list here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?303204-The-Truest-of-the-True-A-Handbook-to-non-Kobold-Dragons-(WIP))I should probably get around to updating that at some point. It's been a while since I last did so.