PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Need some help.

Teldras124
2015-05-30, 09:14 PM
So I've been trying to make a world, In this I have come across two problems:

How do I organize all of the info
and
How much Home brew should I put into it, I mean should I make my own races and modify the pre-existing classes or should I just go vanilla rules & stuff?

Also, How should I record the history?

Grynning
2015-05-30, 09:51 PM
For your personal use, I would start with an outline of some kind. Either a timeline, if you have a lot of historical events in mind, or a geopolitical breakdown (list of nations/regions and relevant info). You can figure out what the players need to know once you get all that written down.

As for how much homebrew to put in, that's entirely up to you and what you and your players are comfortable with, but keep in mind that even published settings usually only add a couple races, 2-3 subclasses and feats, and maybe a handful of spells. If you try to keep it in that neighborhood, things will probably be easier for you overall.

Inchoroi
2015-05-30, 09:58 PM
Forget homebrew unless absolutely necessary.

I like to start with a timeline of the world and setting. You can come up with generic history and names that can later be filled out with more details as necessary, and brings the world to life a bit. Use this to generate the larger countries, their little wars, and try to imagine the reasons behind those wars.

Then, go to http://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/world/ and generate a random map you're happy with. I like to turn off names and location titles, but leave terrain and rivers and such. Pick a single hex (the ones generated there are usually 125 miles across, if the world is earth-sized) and put a starting city there. You must expand from there as needed.