PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Illven's wonderful Spell corner

Illven
2015-05-30, 10:39 PM
Sometimes. Sometimes you just need spells to troll your players.

Hi guys!!!

Here's the first one

Etheral web
Conjuration (Creation)
Level Adept 5, Sorcerer/Wizard 6
Components S, V
Casting time 1 Standard action.
Range Medium
Effects Force web in a 20 foot radius
Duration 10 minutes/level (D)
Saving throw Reflex save. See text.
Spell resistance No

This spell functions as web except for the following.

This spell makes the normal sticky strands of web out of pure magical force. This allows it to trap incorporeal undead. (Instead of Str checks to break free, trapped incorporeal undead must make Charisma checks), and it makes the web impervious to fire.

The TechnoGnome
2015-05-30, 11:20 PM
Impervious to fire? I could see that causing some trouble (and stunned faces) :smallamused:

Illven
2015-05-30, 11:36 PM
Impervious to fire? I could see that causing some trouble (and stunned faces) :smallamused:

It is made of force though, which is generally impervious to attacks.

Orderic
2015-05-31, 03:52 AM
This spell coats the normal sticky strands of web out of pure magical force.

This sentence doesn't really make much sense. Maybe something like "This spell replaces the normal sticky strands of web with ones made from pure magical force" or "This spell functions like web, except for the strands being made from magical force".

Also, I like this spell. Might even be something my players will want to take, considering just how much I like shadows and other incorporeal, ability damaging/draining undead.

Gnomes2169
2015-05-31, 04:55 AM
... Well, another conjuration spell that's a bit more powerful. Are you sure it shouldn't be evocation (given its use of force, which typically falls purely under evocation's purvey?)

Other than that, seems perfectly fine.

Illven
2015-06-01, 10:47 PM
This sentence doesn't really make much sense. Maybe something like "This spell replaces the normal sticky strands of web with ones made from pure magical force" or "This spell functions like web, except for the strands being made from magical force".

Also, I like this spell. Might even be something my players will want to take, considering just how much I like shadows and other incorporeal, ability damaging/draining undead.

I added your change.

... Well, another conjuration spell that's a bit more powerful. Are you sure it shouldn't be evocation (given its use of force, which typically falls purely under evocation's purvey?)

Other than that, seems perfectly fine.

But I'm not sure about yours, base web is conjuration creation, so I feel that this should be also.

SkipSandwich
2015-06-03, 09:52 PM
Perhaps if the spell was fluffed as being strands of conjured ectoplasm, that could explain why it is all of sticky, fireproof and can affect incorporeal creatures without having to explain why this force effect is exempt from the general force effect rule of "immune to all damage except from specific effects".

Fizban
2015-06-04, 04:06 AM
But I'm not sure about yours, base web is conjuration creation, so I feel that this should be also.
Precedent is not a replacement for balance, but most people don't bother trying to balance the schools of magic since they're already busted. Conjured ectoplasm does fix this as suggested, though amusingly most ectomancy spells are ridiculously fragile while this one is deliberately impervious. Ethereal implies that it's not material, so it's not really right for force webs or ectoplasm webs. I'd just call it Indestructible Web and be done with it.

My first thought was that if an ethereal/incorporeal Web is trolling your players then that story would be most interesting, but it's actually just an indestructible Web spell, which is a troll for anyone. Are you okay with what happens when your players get a hold of it?

Eh, I already nerfed Web down to rounds so obviously I wouldn't allow this as written. As a modification to whatever version of Web is allowed it's probably fine, there's already incorporeal web spells and this is just removing the fire problem.

Miss Disaster
2015-06-04, 08:31 AM
For those of you who have access to the WotC 3.0 book, Ghostwalk, there is a 3rd level spell in the book called Ectoplasmic Web. Which is extremely close in concept and execution to this spell. Except it labeled as: Conjuration [Creation, Ectomancy] ...

It's worth looking into for comparison and modeling purposes.