PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Flurry of Blows with Elven Courtblade

sage20500
2015-05-31, 01:45 AM
Hey guys, so I'm working on making a Gestalted Fire Emblem Themed Character that is modled after a hybrid between Ike and a Swordmaster. Question I'm trying to figure out, other than taking 5 levels of Shou Disciple, is there any other way to be able to make it to where I can flurry of blows while using an Elven Courtblade, (Because once it's keened having a 15-20 2x weapon when your making 7 or more attacks in a single round seems pretty awesome)

Karl Aegis
2015-05-31, 01:52 AM
A one level dip of Sohei does it. Works in heavy armor as well.

sage20500
2015-05-31, 01:58 AM
A one level dip of Sohei does it. Works in heavy armor as well.

Hm, interesting, didn't realise that OA had an asian themed barbarian like class, I guess my only issue with it is that with a 1 level dip I'm limited to only being able to use flurry once a day.... its definently a possible idea, but probably one I would only use if I can't find any other way to get it as a permanent feature.... Thanks for the info though, the class does seem pretty nice

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-31, 02:15 AM
Unorthodox Flurry lets you flurry with any light weapon, which gets you halfway there. Not sure how you can get a Courtblade considered a light weapon while keeping 1.5*Str to damage and the extra power attack output; maybe some sort of homebrew Sun Blade analogue?

Alternately, if your DM is open to backporting Pathfinder content, ask if you can use the PF monk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk), specifically the Sohei (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/sohei) archetype (ACF package, basically). They get to flurry with selected weapon groups starting at level 6.

Saintheart
2015-05-31, 02:32 AM
Unorthodox Flurry lets you flurry with any light weapon, which gets you halfway there. Not sure how you can get a Courtblade considered a light weapon while keeping 1.5*Str to damage and the extra power attack output

Probably by trying to force the mince back through the sausage-maker of Weapon Finesse: "Weapon Finesse only works with a light weapon; Courtblade works with Weapon Finesse; therefore, a Courtblade is a light weapon regardless of being able to HASSAN CHOP with it."

sage20500
2015-05-31, 02:33 AM
Unorthodox Flurry lets you flurry with any light weapon, which gets you halfway there. Not sure how you can get a Courtblade considered a light weapon while keeping 1.5*Str to damage and the extra power attack output; maybe some sort of homebrew Sun Blade analogue?

Alternately, if your DM is open to backporting Pathfinder content, ask if you can use the PF monk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk), specifically the Sohei (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/sohei) archetype (ACF package, basically). They get to flurry with selected weapon groups starting at level 6.

Negative on the PF, both of my DM's don't really like using anything related to Pathfinder, couldn't even get them to take a look at the Soul Knife class so that I could use if for an Unarmed Character Idea. As for the Unorthodox Flurry, Elven Courtblades are exotic two handed weapons, so I'm not even sure if thats even possible, as well as wouldn't they be getting 2x Str to damage from virtue of being a two handed weapon? (Main draw from using the Courtblade is that it is a 18-20 x2 Sword that does Slashing or Piercing Damage, which means I can combine it with things like Slashing Flurry and Skewer Foe, etc, plus its a two handed weapon so 2x Str to damage and fun time with power attack and leap attack. The build I've been coming up with is giving me a crap ton of feats so I've just been pretty much loading everything I can into it)

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-31, 02:35 AM
Negative on the PF, both of my DM's don't really like using anything related to Pathfinder, couldn't even get them to take a look at the Soul Knife class so that I could use if for an Unarmed Character Idea. As for the Unorthodox Flurry, Elven Courtblades are exotic two handed weapons, so I'm not even sure if thats even possible, as well as wouldn't they be getting 2x Str to damage from virtue of being a two handed weapon? (Main draw from using the Courtblade is that it is a 18-20 x2 Sword that does Slashing or Piercing Damage, which means I can combine it with things like Slashing Flurry and Skewer Foe, etc, plus its a two handed weapon so 2x Str to damage and fun time with power attack and leap attack. The build I've been coming up with is giving me a crap ton of feats so I've just been pretty much loading everything I can into it)

Two-handed weapons get 1.5*Strength modifier to damage (PHB, p. 8).

sage20500
2015-05-31, 02:35 AM
Probably by trying to force the mince back through the sausage-maker of Weapon Finesse: "Weapon Finesse only works with a light weapon; Courtblade works with Weapon Finesse; therefore, a Courtblade is a light weapon regardless of being able to HASSAN CHOP with it."

Just talked to my dm about that, He's saying that wouldn't be allowed mainly because from his reasoning, Rapiers are also weapon finesseable, but do not qualify as light weapons, therefore neither can the Courtblade

Also apparently under the entry in Races of the Wild, Wizards specifically stated that even though it is finesseable, the Elven Courtblade remains a Two Handed weapon, not a light weapon

sage20500
2015-05-31, 02:37 AM
Two-handed weapons get 1.5*Strength modifier to damage (PHB, p. 8).

Ah ok, just realised I was mixing that up with one of the charge feats that lets you add 2x Str

Baroknik
2015-05-31, 02:55 AM
There is one work around I can think of. In one of the Eberron books there are feats to make a longsword a special monk weapon (requires monastic training and proficiency with LS, iirc). Gaining that feat and an adaptive Elven courtblade should allow you to flurry and stunning blow through the weapon.

I have used a similar trick to make a decisive strike archery build in the past (to emulate a one shot one kill mentality).

sage20500
2015-05-31, 04:01 AM
There is one work around I can think of. In one of the Eberron books there are feats to make a longsword a special monk weapon (requires monastic training and proficiency with LS, iirc). Gaining that feat and an adaptive Elven courtblade should allow you to flurry and stunning blow through the weapon.

I have used a similar trick to make a decisive strike archery build in the past (to emulate a one shot one kill mentality).

Thanks, talked with my DM and he said so long as I don't go insane with other feats that can exploit the Aptitude enchantment then he's fine with me using it to do that, (Apparently he once saw a build that used aptitude weapons combined with the Lightining Mace feat to just do some very nasty things, so since I'm not planning on doing that I should be good.)

Thanks for everyone who helped me out there!

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-31, 07:22 AM
I think you can just go Unorthodox Flurry (Shortsword) and then pick up an Adaptive Courtblade for that.