PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other [3.5] Norn Race

kingtiger13123
2015-05-31, 08:17 AM
Hello fellow playgrounders. This is my first attempt at a homebrew anything. Anyone who's played GW 1 or 2 will already know what the Norn are about. My DM has already looked it over and said that he thinks it's balanced, but I was hoping for second opinions on it. Also, I need some help fleshing them out, particularly on the Relations and names sections. Things in parentheses with asterixes before and after the sentence aren't part of the race, just asking questions. Please be specific with constructive criticism. Without further ado, my race.

Norn Race
Personality: Norns are big in both size and personality. They like to make bawdy jokes, quaff entire kegs of ale, and generally act rowdy, but usually in a light-hearted sort of way. A Norn bar-brawl is rarely anything more than a contest of strength, and a good-natured one at that. When not in the tavern for various reasons, Norns enjoy hunting big game, relaxing in hot springs, and going on hikes to take in the splendor of nature. They are individualistic and free-spirited, though they are not beyond seizing command. Unlike other giants, they do not throw rocks, preferring to use more civilized weapons.
Physical Description: Norns stand from 8 ½ to 10 feet in stature, and weigh anywhere from 300-400 pounds (*Not sure on this one. Guild Wars never gets into weight measurements, so I made a guess on what something that size would weigh. Tell me what you think and I’ll take it into consideration*). Their hair can be any normal human color, but blonde, black, and red are the most prevalent among the Norn. Their skin is usually pale, but those who have lived in sunnier areas for long periods of time have tanned skin. Norn are shorter lived than other giants, and only live to a maximum of 120 years, the same as a human.
Relations: (*Not sure what to put here. I think Norn would be good with dwarves and some Giants depending on alignments, though they’d have some issues with orcs, gnomes, and halflings. Honestly, I don’t know how much it might affect gameplay, though a race that could be friends with giants could get OP, since they could just diplomacy them and end combat early*).
Alignment: Norn can be of any alignment, though they are less likely to be lawful, due to their free-spirited tendencies. Many Norn are neutral in some way so that they may become Druids.
Norn Lands: The Norn like to live in generally the same areas as Frost Giants; Mountainous, snowy, pine forest, etc. When the Norn clan is mostly good, this can cause issues, but clans made up of Neutral and Evil Norn don’t mind being neighbors with their taller, icier brothers.
Religion: Norns love nature, and are likely to worship Ehlonna (If good) or Obad-Hai (If neutral or evil). Due to their rambunctious nature, many Norn also revere Kord, or, at the worst, Erythnul.
Language: Norn speak Giant, which uses the same runic script as Dwarven and Gnome. They also learn Common in order to trade and interact with the other races.
Names: (*Honestly, I don’t know what to write. When it comes gametime, just make up something that sounds Viking or Norse*).
Adventurers: Norn who leave their home for other lands usually do so simply to test their strength and skills. Most Norn encountered outside their homelands are Druids, Barbarians, Clerics, or Rangers. Some may take up the mantle of Paladin, as they are suited to a martial lifestyle. Others make use of their deep, booming voice as Bards. Since their size makes them a large target, few Norn become Wizards or Sorcerers, though they are not unheard of. However, a Norn rogue is just an accident waiting to happen.
Norn Racial Traits
+2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Int: Norns are hearty and strong, but neither as nimble nor clever as other races.
Norn base land speed is 30 feet.
Large Size: -1 penalty to armor class, -1 penalty to attack rolls, -4 on hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks and weight and carrying limits double those of medium creatures.
Frost Resistance: Norns get a +2 against saves involving ice or cold damage, as they have become acclimated to the cold northern areas in which they live.
+2 racial bonus on Handle Animal checks. Norns love animals and naturally know how to handle them.
+2 on intimidate checks made against creatures size Medium or smaller. Norn have a large presence and exert more force over smaller creatures.
Norns count as Giants for purposes such as the Dwarf and Gnome racial bonuses against giants, as well as the Gnome Giant Slayer prestige class, and Favored Enemy: Giants.
Favored Class: Druid. Norns revere nature and they are quite willing to serve in its name.
Languages: All Norn speak Common and Giant. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Gnome, Draconic, Orc, Goblin, and Terran.
Level Adjustment: +0

Xefas
2015-05-31, 01:49 PM
+2 on intimidate checks made against creatures size Medium or smaller. Norn have a large presence and exert more force over smaller creatures.

Does this stack with (or is it instead of?) the usual Intimidate bonus creatures get for being larger than their target?

IIRC, Gw2 male Norn average 8' tall, with the female average being somewhere between 7 and 8. That's scraping the top of the Medium size category. Have you considered giving them Powerful Build instead of Large size? This basically gives you all the good things you would get for being Large, other than increased Reach, and also does away with the -4 Hide penalty from being Large, which works with Norn being just as stealthy thieves as everyone else.

kingtiger13123
2015-05-31, 02:12 PM
Does this stack with (or is it instead of?) the usual Intimidate bonus creatures get for being larger than their target?

IIRC, Gw2 male Norn average 8' tall, with the female average being somewhere between 7 and 8. That's scraping the top of the Medium size category. Have you considered giving them Powerful Build instead of Large size? This basically gives you all the good things you would get for being Large, other than increased Reach, and also does away with the -4 Hide penalty from being Large, which works with Norn being just as stealthy thieves as everyone else.

There's already a bonus to intimidate for being larger than the target? Nowhere have I see that stated. But tell me where it is, and I'll believe you.
Powerful Build was considered, but I feared my DM would say they needed a +1 LA, so I just put it at Large Size. Would you say it requires LA if it's Powerful Build?
Also, what are the dice you use for weapons in the hands of creatures with Powerful Build or Large Size? I assume it just goes up one category for most, but what do you do for D12 weapons like the greataxe?

Xefas
2015-05-31, 03:02 PM
There's already a bonus to intimidate for being larger than the target? Nowhere have I see that stated. But tell me where it is, and I'll believe you.

Under the 'special' entry in the Intimidate skill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/intimidate.htm); a +4 bonus for each size category you are larger than your target.

Powerful Build was considered, but I feared my DM would say they needed a +1 LA, so I just put it at Large Size. Would you say it requires LA if it's Powerful Build?

Personally, I'd put it at LA 0 with Large swapped out for Powerful Build. The Goliath, our official Powerful-Build-having race, is LA +1, but it also has 2 more points of total stat bonus, and are Monstrous Humanoids, rendering them immune to some spells at low levels. And they're not a very popular race to begin with.

Also, what are the dice you use for weapons in the hands of creatures with Powerful Build or Large Size? I assume it just goes up one category for most, but what do you do for D12 weapons like the greataxe?

There's a table. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#tableLargerAndSmallerWeaponDamage) Greataxe goes from 1d12 to 3d6.

kingtiger13123
2015-05-31, 03:52 PM
Ah, my apologies for my ignorance. The entire group, me included, is in the age range of 14-16, and we rarely do anything outside of core (And nobody ever made an intimidate check until last session), so the Intimidate bonuses/minuses never came up. DM is also a bit forgetful. We once went two sessions and walked down this one hallway multiple times, with him forgetting to mention a very visible statuette (It was sitting on the floor, so it's not like we needed to make a spot check). So, it's no surprise he forgot about stuff like the Intimidate.
Will check with GM on powerful build. If he says no, then I'll just increase the height to make Large size undebatable.