PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Dragons in Patfinder

MichaelGoldclaw
2015-05-31, 08:25 AM
Hey guys, I am running a dragon themed game in Pathfinder, although I want to use various types of dragons rather than Metallic, Chromatic, etc. What I want to do is have Dragons by Elements, Concepts (battle, mana, nature), and morality (Freedom, Tyrant, Anarchy, etc.) I want to know if there is any sort of method to build custom Dragons or monsters in general, homebrew or otherwise, if there are ones that are pre-built homebrew or 3rd party, or should I just re-fluff the Metallics and Chromatics?

stack
2015-05-31, 08:40 AM
Well, there are outer, imperial, primal, cave, dungeon, mist.... (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/dragons/dragon)

There are a number of alternate dragon type already. If none of those suite, I believe you just need to make a wyrmling and decide what abilities to grant at older categories, with base stats scaling according to a standard progression, though you may need to infer that progression, not sure if its written out anywhere specifically.

MichaelGoldclaw
2015-05-31, 09:03 AM
Well, there are outer, imperial, primal, cave, dungeon, mist.... (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/dragons/dragon)

Yea, I kinda knew about those. I guess I could use the primal, but I want more variations. Imperial dragons aren't aesthetically pleasing to me. The others are nice, but not all my bases are covered, plus I like to keep my options plentiful

There are a number of alternate dragon type already. If none of those suite, I believe you just need to make a wyrmling and decide what abilities to grant at older categories, with base stats scaling according to a standard progression, though you may need to infer that progression, not sure if its written out anywhere specifically.

The question is how do I make said wyrmling? I can homebrew martial classes, but that's all my experience, aside from minor tweaks and simple feats.

Milo v3
2015-05-31, 09:10 AM
The question is how do I make said wyrmling? I can homebrew martial classes, but that's all my experience, aside from minor tweaks and simple feats.

It's mainly looking at what other dragons of the CR your aiming for have, and trying to judge if it's "about" the same. Monster creation is more an art than a science, it's harder compared to creating classes in my opinion simply because it's less... precise.

MichaelGoldclaw
2015-05-31, 09:22 AM
It's mainly looking at what other dragons of the CR your aiming for have, and trying to judge if it's "about" the same. Monster creation is more an art than a science, it's harder compared to creating classes in my opinion simply because it's less... precise.

Okay, that might be good with the stuff that are similar to the others, like if I want to make another elemental dragon based of the Primals, but what about the ones that are very different than the others. Thing is, I don't want to be "that GM" that makes all those homebrew monsters that are overpowered. I use a guide for homebrewing classes, I don't do it unregulated.

MichaelGoldclaw
2015-05-31, 09:31 PM
Any other suggestions?

Baroncognito
2015-05-31, 09:52 PM
Well, there is a third party publisher who has a pdf out "In the Company of Dragons."

They're working on a kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/937759598/in-the-company-of-dragons-pathfinder-roleplaying-g) right now.

Kaidinah
2015-05-31, 10:04 PM
Dreamscarred Press has psionic dragons in their psionic bestiary. They have abilities that you may be interested in, such as growing adaptive armor, being extra scary, or manipulating dreams.

MichaelGoldclaw
2015-06-01, 10:20 AM
Well, there is a third party publisher who has a pdf out "In the Company of Dragons."

They're working on a kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/937759598/in-the-company-of-dragons-pathfinder-roleplaying-g) right now.

Yea, I noticed that plus I have the original PDF, which was PC focused. I am heavily tempted on using it. Like I said, I am making sure I look at all the possible options

Dreamscarred Press has psionic dragons in their psionic bestiary. They have abilities that you may be interested in, such as growing adaptive armor, being extra scary, or manipulating dreams.

I guess I can take a look at that.