PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Creation Advice - War of the 3 Kingdoms

thecrimsondawn
2015-05-31, 08:41 AM
I was told to come up with a concept for a pathfinder game for today, but a mind boggling amount of events took place and I have fallen behind, so I am seeking the experts to aid me in my creation.

Im thinking about playing something akin to one of the great war generals of the war of the 3 kingdoms age, much like Guan Yu.

Any ideas?
Also please let me know what books various information is in if able. While I own nearly everything under the sun that is 3.5, I own very few pathfinder books and need to rely on borrowed DM books to make this.

avr
2015-05-31, 09:42 AM
This is help with creating a character, right?

Assuming so - what starting level, what are you likely to play to, and what do you think of when you envision Guan Yu besides 'military leader'?

thecrimsondawn
2015-05-31, 01:14 PM
This is help with creating a character, right?

Assuming so - what starting level, what are you likely to play to, and what do you think of when you envision Guan Yu besides 'military leader'?

Well I am going to get the details today from the DM.
From what I understand the group (and some NPCs) end up naked on a beach with amnesia (starting level 1) but will gain xp (memories) back rapidly, and I am to come with a back story. Depending on the class(s) I will be, will depend on the back story I will make for this guy.

As far as what I envision, A powerful great war general with knowledge of battlefield tactics, and the ability to cut his foes down as well as lead his allies to victory.

I picture a tall, well built (insert race here) wielding a 2 handed weapon wearing very high quality clothing. Maybe mounted combat related feats, but I care less about that then I do about the ability to inspire all with my strength in battle, as well as wisdom(or experience) on the battlefield

Does this help at all?

thecrimsondawn
2015-05-31, 03:38 PM
After looking over the classes, Fighter or Cavalier/Samurai look like the best options.

Was there not some new classes released for pathfinder relatively recently?

also, someone at my job was talking about some sort of optional rule set that made some skills/actions stronger, and you have a choice as to what to make stronger. Legacy I think it was called? Not familiar with the rules on it, but if it will help my creation, I am interested. If it wont, then no worries

Dusk Eclipse
2015-05-31, 04:16 PM
Can you use 3rd party content? Specifically Dreamscarred Press' Path of war. For a Mounted Military leader I'd go Hussar (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hHsiSKoL2nR4oWgzPKQwXfqYENuNkDmBiX323SlTPfc/edit) Warlord (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/warlord); grab your favourite polearm (I'd go with a glaive or halberd ) focus on Piercing Thunder and Golden Lion and go to town.

ETA: The alternate system you are thinking about are probably the skill unlocks and Stamina system from Pathfinder Unchained, the newest book. I can't really comment on them since I don't have it and it isn't in the PFSRD yet (AFAIK), for what it's worth I've heard really good things about them, specially for stamina.

avr
2015-05-31, 11:27 PM
A few ideas then.

A cavalier is the most obvious choice, probably with the order of the dragon. You can give some minor bonuses to your allies and you're a solid melee combatant yourself. You take mounted combat feats first.

The downsides are first, your mount is going to be a pain to get around exotic environments or into the air when that becomes an option, and second ... as a non-spellcaster with a strong martial focus there really isn't much you can do outside combat.

A samurai is very similar. You could even take the same order. Slightly more of a focus on archery rather than charging into combat, and some resistance to negative conditions - but you lose the tactician ability which you might want as a leader-type.

A skald - wait, hear me out - is a martial character who can effectively buff your allies, and most of the effects can be easily refluffed as a mighty leader. If you want to avoid magic in your concept though they won't fit.

A slayer with the vanguard archetype is a non-magical leader & bruiser with no mount to lug around. The mount definitely adds to the combat power of the cavalier but it can be a pain as noted above. (Aside from daring champion I don't much like the cavalier/samurai archetypes which lose the mount, and daring champion doesn't fit your big guy with a two-handed weapon idea.)

Morrolan
2015-06-01, 01:49 AM
Can you use 3rd party content? Specifically Dreamscarred Press' Path of war. For a Mounted Military leader I'd go Hussar (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hHsiSKoL2nR4oWgzPKQwXfqYENuNkDmBiX323SlTPfc/edit) Warlord (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/warlord); grab your favourite polearm (I'd go with a glaive or halberd ) focus on Piercing Thunder and Golden Lion and go to town.

+1 for path of war, playing a warlord archer atm, and warlords are awesome!
Path of war, or if its not allowed, tome of battle, is great for a 3 kingdoms style fighter.

thecrimsondawn
2015-06-01, 04:13 PM
+1 for path of war, playing a warlord archer atm, and warlords are awesome!
Path of war, or if its not allowed, tome of battle, is great for a 3 kingdoms style fighter.

If I was allowed to use the tome of battle for pathfinder, I would have no need to ever make this thread XD

Path of War eh? That is the kinda information I am looking for. I dont own that book, but I can see if its free online content, or if my DM owns it. He is already willing to work with me with Samurai's restricted weapon set, so so long as its not something broken OP, he should allow it.

The other two players seem to be playing a monk of some sort, and a rogue type of some sort, but that is subject to change. That does help out with tactician feat choices tho - that feint one is kinda cool :3

Just on the off shoot so I dont have to look through 40 million archetypes, does fighter have anything worth my notice?

And as far as flying and all that, this world mostly shuns magic due to a near end of the world thing that went down in the past from another party, so very few people are powerful casters.
Also, we will have an airship at some point from what I understand, so if I take a mount, I better find the dam Pegasus real fast like :P

Edit:
Oh my! Path of War is the pathfinder Tome of Battle
Whelp, there goes my ability to ever play any other class for a while :P

Thanks for that, now I have to own this book :P