PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Archer Psy Rogue: What Feats and Powers?

MesiDoomstalker
2015-05-31, 02:53 PM
I'm starting up a new game (starting level 1) soon, decided for funsies I'll run a Human Psychic Rogue Archer. Important to note, my DM is allowing Sniping to be done as part of the attack action (IE no extra actions needed) and the target gets a Spot (+5 bonus) against my Hide. Looking through all my feat and power options, I'm having trouble deciding what I should take. Archery has so many feats (I repeat: Sniping is a viable option, Greater Manyshot is not necessary and super feat intensive) and powers I don't know what to take or prioritize first.

I plan on taking Rapid Shot as quickly as possible, but I'm not sure about anything else. Darkstalker and Craven are both Rogue staples, but Psionics opens so many feats. Should I grab feats to reduce Psionic Focus action requirements? Or Psicrystals? Extend Power!? I'm trying to run a fairly typical Rogue, focusing on a wide range of useful skills and Powers that provide new and interesting ways of Rogueing.

Urpriest
2015-05-31, 07:51 PM
I'm starting up a new game (starting level 1) soon, decided for funsies I'll run a Human Psychic Rogue Archer. Important to note, my DM is allowing Sniping to be done as part of the attack action (IE no extra actions needed) and the target gets a Spot (+5 bonus) against my Hide. Looking through all my feat and power options, I'm having trouble deciding what I should take. Archery has so many feats (I repeat: Sniping is a viable option, Greater Manyshot is not necessary and super feat intensive) and powers I don't know what to take or prioritize first.

I plan on taking Rapid Shot as quickly as possible, but I'm not sure about anything else. Darkstalker and Craven are both Rogue staples, but Psionics opens so many feats. Should I grab feats to reduce Psionic Focus action requirements? Or Psicrystals? Extend Power!? I'm trying to run a fairly typical Rogue, focusing on a wide range of useful skills and Powers that provide new and interesting ways of Rogueing.

Is the +5 bonus to Spot in addition to the usual -20 penalty to Hide for sniping?

Anyway, you'll still need some way to Hide in Plain Sight. I've hacked it together with Greater Concealing Amorpha but I don't think that's strictly kosher.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-05-31, 08:01 PM
Is the +5 bonus to Spot in addition to the usual -20 penalty to Hide for sniping?

Anyway, you'll still need some way to Hide in Plain Sight. I've hacked it together with Greater Concealing Amorpha but I don't think that's strictly kosher.

From my understanding, its the only modifier to either check. So I get straight Hide (using normal bonus) and my target gets a Spot with +5 on top of their modifier. The only methods I know of that grant HipS are either Templates (veto'd by needing to start at level 1), and PrC's that eat up Skill Points and Feats. Wasn't there an item that granted HiPS? Something Something Collar?

Flickerdart
2015-05-31, 08:02 PM
Wasn't there an item that granted HiPS? Something Something Collar?
Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, Tome of Magic. It gives you the gimped version of HiPS and isn't exactly cheap.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-05-31, 08:14 PM
Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, Tome of Magic. It gives you the gimped version of HiPS and isn't exactly cheap.

Well, doesn't matter as I lack that book. I'll have to ask the others if they have it. If not, its off the table.

Pluto!
2015-05-31, 08:26 PM
I've never built a PsyRogue without Hidden Talent, and I don't see a reason to start!

If hiding is integral to your combat plan, Darkstalker from Lords of Madness is probably also a locked pick.

thethird
2015-06-01, 08:38 AM
Psicrystals are REALLY useful.

You should get one, and use feat leech (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/featLeech.htm) on it to get the psionic feats you want. To make it psionic give it hidden talent or other PP granting feat.

A psicrystal, like a familiar, has your skill ranks meaning it can aid another you for a +2 in any skill in which you can make a DC 10 check or you aren't threatened and thus can take 10.

Psicrystals also make great scouts with lifesight (if you give them a tiny bitty cloak of charisma) or mindsight if the telepathic link ability is counted as telepathy.

torrasque666
2015-06-01, 08:44 AM

You should get one, and use feat leech (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/featLeech.htm) on it to get the psionic feats you want. To make it psionic give it hidden talent or other PP granting feat.

A psicrystal, like a familiar, has your skill ranks meaning it can aid another you for a +2 in any skill in which you can make a DC 10 check or you aren't threatened and thus can take 10.

Psicrystals also make great scouts with lifesight (if you give them a tiny bitty cloak of charisma) or mindsight if the telepathic link ability is counted as telepathy.
If you go this route, see if your DM is going to houserule the psicrystal to work off of any manifesting class level, or enjoy somehow having a 0 HD psicrystal and a wasted feat.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-06-01, 09:40 AM

Already talked to the DM about this particular exploit. The jist of the conversation was if I were to do this, then my Psicrystal would be considered a combatant (albeit a tough one to hit in most instances) and thus a valid target in battle. So, to get a floating feat reservoir, I need to keep it from getting smashed. Ultimately, I have issues personally running side characters like that regardless, so I'm not going to push the envelope there. However, all the other benefits still hold true (and I'm sure if its being used as a scout will make it a valid target regardless of if it has feats or not).

Does anyone have suggestions on powers?