PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Nock Volley Gun

Uhtred
2015-05-31, 03:19 PM
So to start with this is the Nock Volley Gun:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nock_gun

TL;DR, the Nock Volley Gun is a Napoleonic-era naval musket that was intended to be used to clear an enemy ship's deck of sailors in a single cacophonous blast. It's a short-range musket that has seven simultaneously-firing barrels that took an age to load and was devastating to both literally anything on the receiving end and also the person firing (it was discontinued because it had FAR more recoil than anyone had thought and had a tendency of breaking shoulders and setting fire to the rigging and sails it was trying to protect.

And it works great with my character concept. I just need to figure out how to make it work in an RPG setting.

Obviously it's an exotic weapon, obviously an early firearm, but what I (and my DM) are still trying to puzzle out is the "7 musket blasts at once" concept that would make it more devastating than a blunderbuss. Does the Blunderbuss' cone spread best encapsulate what being on the wrong end of that would be like? What damage would that deal? What would it crit for? And, also important, how many full-round actions do you suppose it would take to reload it? Should the recoil be in the form of a minimum required strength score to use it? Non-lethal damage every time it's fired without taking a move-action to brace yourself?

Notable is that the double-barreled musket requires a pair of attack rolls at a -4 penalty with a 40-ft range if you fire both barrels at once, maybe a similar mechanic would apply here? And what would the misfire value be? Atrocious, I would imagine.

BWR
2015-05-31, 03:38 PM
I suppose it depends on whether you want this to hit multiple creatures or deal serious damage to a single creature. How great was the spread of the nock gun in any case?
In the former I'd say just making it a more expensive and more damaging blunderbus is fine (1d12 instead of 1d8). No need to go too far in inventing new mechanics
In the latter case I'd handle it as a variant of the double-barrled musket. I'm not sure I'd inflict a -4 penalty per barrel, but it would be fairly intense, maybe -6 or even -8. That's still a pretty serious penalty, even if you do manage to throw out 7d12 points of damage in one go. Reload time is obviously a pain, since you have to reload every barrel separately.

Uhtred
2015-05-31, 03:57 PM
I suppose it depends on whether you want this to hit multiple creatures or deal serious damage to a single creature. How great was the spread of the nock gun in any case?

The first Nock guns were rifled, which were agreed to be a BEAST to reload, and had a much better range and accuracy. Because of the reload, however, further models were smoothbore to save time. Since the barrels were shorter than a standard muskets, and even a long smoothbore musket was wildly inaccurate at long range, I'd say the rifled variants might have had a range of 60 feet, with the smoothbore at half that? And the spread...I'm having difficulty finding historical accounts, although everyone seems to agree that it was "shotgun-like." Personally I'd like to think the rifled variant could deliver all that shot into a single target, the smoothbore probably has more of a shotgun cone, though.

In the former I'd say just making it a more expensive and more damaging blunderbuss is fine (1d12 instead of 1d8). No need to go too far in inventing new mechanics
In the latter case I'd handle it as a variant of the double-barreled musket. I'm not sure I'd inflict a -4 penalty per barrel, but it would be fairly intense, maybe -6 or even -8. That's still a pretty serious penalty, even if you do manage to throw out 7d12 points of damage in one go. Reload time is obviously a pain, since you have to reload every barrel separately.

Yeah, a standard musket in Pathfinder deals a d12, worth noting is that with further research each of those barrels is a .50 caliber. o.O

Hazrond
2015-05-31, 04:07 PM
might i direct you to the Experimental Gunsmith archetype for gunslinger? If i remember correctly one of the possible modifications is adding an extra barrel

Uhtred
2015-05-31, 04:15 PM
might i direct you to the Experimental Gunsmith archetype for gunslinger? If i remember correctly one of the possible modifications is adding an extra barrel

They only get to add Innovations every four levels starting at 5, and would cap out at six barrels at level 17 (supposing you're allowed to select the same Innovation more than once.) and I'm just not sure I'm willing to invest seventeen levels (and a race change to Gnome. And a class change to Gunslinger) in this.

Glorius Nippon
2015-05-31, 04:22 PM
Take experimental gunsmith and this weapon, add a barrel every innovation, by level 17 you have a 13 barrel musket. Good luck hitting with it, but that's beside the point.

stack
2015-05-31, 04:25 PM
Probably simplest to give it a longer cone and higher damage than the blunderbuss, then have the barrels loaded individually per the time required for a long gun. I might recommend a spell or some other means of rapidly loading if more than one shot is desired per combat.

Hazrond
2015-05-31, 04:26 PM
They only get to add Innovations every four levels starting at 5, and would cap out at six barrels at level 17 (supposing you're allowed to select the same Innovation more than once.) and I'm just not sure I'm willing to invest seventeen levels (and a race change to Gnome. And a class change to Gunslinger) in this.

Well, gunslinger is a perfectly fine class if your plan is to shoot a big gun, you can get around being a gnome by being a human and taking Racial Heritage, or you can be an Aasimar of any other race and use Scion of Humanity to do the same, but that loses you one feat that you don't get for free like a human

MyrPsychologist
So it's effectively a shotgun with a very wide spread. So just do that. Maybe adjust the range slightly but it sounds like the point of the additional barrels is to hit additional targets so just use the advanced firearm shotgun as the stand in.

Uhtred
I like the thought of him, every four levels, grafting another barrel onto it and, after finishing, shakes his head and smiles to himself. "We can do better," he thinks. "All I need is time."