PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Sheogotath's Wabbajack (Homebrew Artifact)

Kesnit
2015-05-31, 07:12 PM
I'm running a 3.5 game set in Skyrim. I've been giving the party quests to go after the Daedric artifacts (all refluffed for D&D). The next one I am planning is Sheogorath's (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Sheogorath) Wabbajack (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Wabbajack).

Since this is from the Daedric Prince of Madness, I want Wabbajack to be entertaining. I am leaning towards having it randomly cast one of four effects when used (25% chance of each) - Polymorph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm) (form rolled on a pre-made table, but none of the results will be pleasant for the party), Baleful Polymorph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/balefulPolymorph.htm), Greater Invisibility (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/invisibilityGreater.htm) (on the target), or a homebrew version of Banishment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/banishment.htm) that will send the target "home" (back to Oblivion if the target is an outsider. Back to the home country of their race if the target is from Tamriel. Nords are immune to this effect.)

Are there other effects that would be more appropriate? I am trying to keep an equal number of "good" and "bad" effects so the PCs will want to use the staff, but always knowing there is a real risk of it not working.

Geddy2112
2015-05-31, 07:33 PM
You could always keep it to a polymorph/baleful polymorph, as some are good(very good) and some are bad(very bad).

Have it be a 50/50. On one side is baleful polymorph, and maybe some crappy polymorphs(like a dolphin out of water). The other half at least makes it into a troll level of strength, but maybe even have form of the dragon be an option...

Blackhawk748
2015-05-31, 07:39 PM
The Rod of Wonder, its what Wabbajack could have been if it wasnt in a computer game

Threadnaught
2015-05-31, 07:54 PM
The Rod of Wonder, its what Wabbajack could have been if it wasnt in a computer game

If this computer hadn't disconnected me, I would've made a snarky response asking if the Wabbajack "was already a thing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#wonder)", curse you and the lack of hatred of organics from your computer Sir Knight.

Honest Tiefling
2015-05-31, 10:46 PM
1. Randomly change how the victim looks. A she is now a he. A he is now a male Redguard. You could also make them really pretty!
2. Make them naked...Yeah, might not do well in most parties, but I also imagine plenty of people trying to grab loot or attack the now armorless person.
3. Just as it banishes people, it also summons them. Sure, you might get a warrior willing to aid you, but you could also wind up with a dunmer baker or an angry Dremora.
4. You hear voices. The magic of the staff transmits your voice so you randomly start talking to people who get really confused as to why THEY are now hearing voices.
5. Summon random gear. Have a book! A saddle. A cart...Oh wait, that one didn't end well.
6. No one can perceive each other right. One person might look like the enemy leader...And everyone, including the enemy believes that they have switched places!

Blackhawk748
2015-06-01, 10:26 AM
If this computer hadn't disconnected me, I would've made a snarky response asking if the Wabbajack "was already a thing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#wonder)", curse you and the lack of hatred of organics from your computer Sir Knight.

*affectionately pats computer* Thats because i built mine :smallwink:

Uncle Pine
2015-06-01, 10:45 AM

Pfft. Rod of Wonder is so passé. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060807a)

Blackhawk748
2015-06-01, 10:46 AM
Pfft. Rod of Wonder is so passé. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060807a)

Oh god i forgot they had that.

Draco_Lord
2015-06-01, 12:39 PM
I made a custom Wand of Wonders once. And some of my favorite effects were as follows.

1. Portal that summons (in my case 1000, but choose a number) of something.
Ex: Rabbits, hats, fruits, pocket lint, what ever you want.
That one was fun, the Cleric ended up using it while flying over a city, rained 1000 rabbits onto the city. Covered that city in blood faster then I thought they could. And the Cleric will never live it down. The party still quotes her as having the highest kill count.

2. Knock Knock Joke Door. Creates a door to nowhere that only opens after telling a knock knock joke.

Cause the Wabbajack is nothing if not completely random, and sometimes useless. Personally I agree with the above on having a staff that functions like a Rod of Wonders, the more effects the better.

Though, if you are going with something more like the Skyrim on, use the Polymorph ideas you have, and add in a couple extra ones, like a random 3rd level evocation spell, some summons of some kind, and maybe an invisibility or two. The Wabbajack does a lot of things though, and I wouldn't limit yourself to just one spell.

General Sajaru
2015-06-01, 08:15 PM
Did someone say Wubba Wubba (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzpgAQpcp8o)?

Spore
2015-06-01, 10:47 PM
Keep in mind: The only thing Sheogorath hates is constancy, predictability and boredom. So if the characters try to abuse the staff for anything else the staff is intended to, like actually solving problems rather than making humorous side-effects or worsening situations, he

a) could involve himself again to alter the effects of HIS artifact.

b) screw the heroes over in a different way.

Let's say the DM (yes, you heard me right) gets to add a second roll twice/day to the result of using the Wabbajack (made secretly, and can decide not to add its effects if the roll affects the situation in the wrong way). Or straight pick an effect and add it by force (even things that aren't on the table). You could say this is unfair, you can say this is pretty dickish of the DM (who poses for Sheogorath).

But keep in mind that Sheogorath is the definition of Chaotic Evil in the Elder Scrolls universe.

Honest Tiefling
2015-06-01, 10:51 PM
But keep in mind that Sheogorath is the definition of Chaotic Evil in the Elder Scrolls universe.

Yes, but I'd...Still drop some hints, because the party is collecting daedric artifacts and that rarely goes well. What's that, Umbra, you want me to stab things? Well, that seems pretty legit.

Sayt
2015-06-02, 12:06 AM
Target takes a will save.

If they fail, roll 1d[No. of available bestiaryies, monstermanuals, etc]. With selected book, roll 1d[pages], reroll non-entry pages.

Spore
2015-06-02, 08:42 AM
Yes, but I'd...Still drop some hints, because the party is collecting daedric artifacts and that rarely goes well. What's that, Umbra, you want me to stab things? Well, that seems pretty legit.

How much more obvious can you make it? You are talking about the deity that turned the continent's emperor Pelagius Septim the Third (http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Pelagius_Septim_III) into a twisted madman for his amusement. Thousands of people died needlessly and he was a puppet emperor for his councilmen who wielded the true power.

Mortals are but playthings for daedric princes. So much should be clear.

Threadnaught
2015-06-02, 08:48 AM

Nope, this is completely wrong. You should not be calling Sheogorath Evil, he is not Evil, he is insane.

Chaotic Neutral is what Sheogorath is, if he'd have more fun helping someone, then he'll help. If he'd have more fun harming someone, then he'd harm. He is the god of madness and creativity, one of the people he granted madness to was the son of a man who had renounced his gift of artistry.
Sure, the madness may have lead the son to murder his father and usurp his throne, but it also lead to the people regaining their freedom of expression. And Sheogorath got what he wanted, which was more colour.

He hates order above all else, because order is stagnant, uncreative and boring. He doesn't care about the heroes who use Wabbajack, as long as they use it to spread chaos. Which is just using it, whether it's helpful or not.

How much more obvious can you make it? You are talking about the deity that turned the continent's emperor Pelagius Septim the Third (http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Pelagius_Septim_III) into a twisted madman for his amusement. Thousands of people died needlessly and he was a puppet emperor for his councilmen who wielded the true power.

Lies and slander. Sheogorath did not turn Pelagius III into the madman he is remembered as, that was Potema.

Sheogorath is the most honest Daedric Prince when it comes to what he wants from a mortal, he is the most trustworthy and least likely to manipulate a mortal servant by withholding information and meeting him is simply proof of insanity anyway, he need not turn someone who is already mad, insane.
I'm able to do a convincing Sheogorath, just because I choose to do the funniest thing I can think of and say whatever comes to mind. I also avoid lying about what I'm doing at all times, but manage to confuse the players who are abusive within a game, by abusing a speech pattern that involves telling them the truth repeatedly. It drove a player mad. :smallamused:

Honest Tiefling
2015-06-02, 12:02 PM

Okay, how many players at this table 1) Have read the books scattered about in the game, as opposed to trying to put baskets on people's heads 2) Do they expect a DnD style experience, or for the lore of the Elder Scrolls to be in tact? It's a valid concern 3) They're collecting the other artifacts in addition to this one, so I worry there's been a miscommunication as to how dangerous these things can be

Kesnit
2015-06-02, 02:40 PM

That's a good idea...

1. Randomly change how the victim looks. A she is now a he. A he is now a male Redguard. You could also make them really pretty!

As amusing as that is, I don't think some of my players would go for it. Unless, of course, I let them change back after a short amount of time.

2. Make them naked...Yeah, might not do well in most parties, but I also imagine plenty of people trying to grab loot or attack the now armorless person.

Hmm... That has merit.

3. Just as it banishes people, it also summons them. Sure, you might get a warrior willing to aid you, but you could also wind up with a dunmer baker or an angry Dremora.

That too.

4. You hear voices. The magic of the staff transmits your voice so you randomly start talking to people who get really confused as to why THEY are now hearing voices.

The other PCs already think the Barbarian/Warlock (a worshiper of Sheo) is nuts because she thinks her familiar can talk. (Of course, the familiar really can talk - to her.)

5. Summon random gear. Have a book! A saddle. A cart...Oh wait, that one didn't end well.

The party is already really far over WBL. They would find a way to take advantage of even cheap things.

6. No one can perceive each other right. One person might look like the enemy leader...And everyone, including the enemy believes that they have switched places!

That could be hard to explain, but doable.

Even better.

1. Portal that summons (in my case 1000, but choose a number) of something.
Ex: Rabbits, hats, fruits, pocket lint, what ever you want.

TRIBBLES!

Keep in mind: The only thing Sheogorath hates is constancy, predictability and boredom. So if the characters try to abuse the staff for anything else the staff is intended to, like actually solving problems rather than making humorous side-effects or worsening situations, he

a) could involve himself again to alter the effects of HIS artifact.

b) screw the heroes over in a different way.

I want them to try to use the Wabbajack, just with the knowledge that things may not turn out exactly right. The more I screw with them, the more likely they are to put it on a shelf and leave it.

Nope, this is completely wrong. You should not be calling Sheogorath Evil, he is not Evil, he is insane.

Chaotic Neutral is what Sheogorath is,

I agree with Threadnaught here. When my wife and I were translating the Nine Divines and the Daedric Princes, we made Sheo CN, for just the reasons Threadnaught lays out.

Okay, how many players at this table 1) Have read the books scattered about in the game, as opposed to trying to put baskets on people's heads 2) Do they expect a DnD style experience, or for the lore of the Elder Scrolls to be in tact? It's a valid concern

One of my players (my wife) is addicted to Skyrim and knows the lore really well. Another player has played Skyrim, though not as much as my wife and I. The other 2 players have never played an ES game. I'm trying to stick as much to the lore of ES, but there have been several things I've had to tweek.

3) They're collecting the other artifacts in addition to this one, so I worry there's been a miscommunication as to how dangerous these things can be

The artifacts and associated quests are things I have tweeked. The quest for the Oghma Infinium was done at the request of a worshiper of Hermaeus Mora, but the quest was a lot simpler and the book only gave a +2 to one base ability score, chosen by the player. Azura's/Black Star did not involve Azura at all. Instead, the quest came from an Artificer NPC (my old character) because it would let him craft faster. The quest was mostly the same though - a castle of casters, then into the Star to fight some Dremora and the boss. I am still working out how the quest for Wabbajack will go. I want to keep it as close to the game as possible, but what you have to do in Skyrim doesn't translate well.

The party will not be keeping most of the artifacts. They have already given up the Oghma Infinium and The Black Star. No one wears heavy armor, so the Ebony Mail will likely go to a priestess of Boethiah after the party slaughters everyone at her shrine. Same with the Ebony Blade (no two-handers) and Spellbreaker (no shield users). They've already lost the chance to get The Rueful Axe or Masque of Clavicus Vile. (The party met Barbas, but did not take him to the shrine. After a while, Barbas left the party to find someone who would actually help him.) Volendrung will go the the Orcs. They haven't joined the Thieves Guild, so there is no option to get the Skeleton Key.

I am still debating whether they will get to keep the other artifacts, or if the questgiver will take them. A lot of that comes down to how I decide to translate the artifacts.

atemu1234
2015-06-02, 02:52 PM
I like the Greater Rod of Wonder. Maybe refluff it as a staff?

Jack_Simth
2015-06-02, 05:22 PM
Hmm...

Well, my only experience with the Wabbajack was from Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall. In that, the first time a given critter got hit with The Wabbajack, it would turn (completely) into a randomly-selected critter from a shortish list. I liked it because it was good for language practice, didn't wear out, and (at high levels) essentially always weakened opponents (a Deadra Lord will always become something less dangerous, for example). It also increased your treasure rate slightly.

So if I were making The Wabbajack, I would get a listing of critters; something like... oh, the first hundred fully statted critters from Here (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/monsters.htm) that aren't humanoids.
Assign each one a number.

On a hit, the target makes a Will save, DC [high]. On a failure, it rolls a d100 (or whatever), and consults the table. It is turned into that. If it has class levels, templates, active buffs, et cetera, they go away for the duration. The creature now uses the stock entry.
The duration is the the result of a d10 and a d20
The d8 is for the units on the time: 1:Rounds, 2:Minutes, 3:Hours, 4:Days, 5:Weeks, 6:Months, 7:Years, 8:Decades, 9:Permanent (ignore d20), 10:Instant (ignore d20).
The d20 is for how many of those (so 1-20 rounds, or 1-20 minutes, or 1-20 hours, or 1-20 days, or 1-20 weeks, or 1-20 months, or 1-20 years, or 1-20 decades)
If the resulting creature is gendered, the gender is rolled randomly as well.
If the target creature was already currently under the effects of the Wabbajack, then the Wabbajack has no effect on that creature.
A Wish, Greater Request Miracle, or Disjunction can undo the effects of a non-Instant roll on the Wabbajack (nothing less can)... however, all three require a caster level check to succeed (DC 20+1d20), and if the caster level check fails then that caster cannot ever remove that instance of the Wabbajack's effects.
An Instant roll on the Wabbajack can't be undone, but can be re-done as the magic has come and gone.