PDA

View Full Version : Witch's Hut grand hex: what can it do

Hrugner
2015-05-31, 07:44 PM
I'm a bit confused as to the use of witch's grand hex. I've figured it's only purpose would walking solid stone heavy cover with arrow slits(move it to position and end the effect to boost it's HP), but was also thinking it may be fun to just pick up houses and drop them on people if they have an animated object's normal construction points and can buy flight.

What I don't see are the rules about how much of animate object is being pulled from here. We have stats for a huge animated object, but the ability doesn't clarify whether or not we're using the construction points and flaws. We're told to multiply hit points, but I'm not sure if we're multiplying the object's hit points or the animated objects hit points, I think it's the animated object's.

Honest Tiefling
2015-05-31, 07:53 PM
I think honestly because Baba Yaga has a hut, so now you can be Baba Yaga! Sort of. Maybe a moving child storage container for the Cook People Hex?

Through I must ask, are there rules to stop someone from summoning this around someone else to annoy the crap out of them? Or to fire out of windows to get some degree of cover?

Psyren
2015-05-31, 08:04 PM
It has the stats of an animated object (up to Huge), with base hardness 8 and double hit points. This means that yes, it does get the CP, because that is part of the animated objects statblock (B1 pg. 14) and thus you get it unless something states otherwise.

The main uses (aside from a semi-tanky-pet) appear to be transportation, nighttime vigilance and shelter. It's pretty weak for a Grand Hex sadly.

Through I must ask, are there rules to stop someone from summoning this around someone else to annoy the crap out of them? Or to fire out of windows to get some degree of cover?

You don't summon it - you animate an existing hut, tent etc. So unless they're already standing in one, there's no way to form it "around" anyone.

Yes, if it has windows/arrow-slits/etc. you can use them to gain some cover while attacking. You'd even likely get higher-ground bonuses from the chicken legs. But again, for a grand hex this is pretty underwhelming. If it were up to me I'd bump it down to Major.

Honest Tiefling
2015-05-31, 08:12 PM
Well, call me a Derp. So yes, you cannot make it around someone, but animate something they are in. Then it sounds like the laziest way to kidnap ingredients for dinner. Just animate the hut they are sleeping in and run off! Would make for an interesting investigation, where people wake up and wonder why some buildings have disappeared...

Hrugner
2015-05-31, 11:58 PM
It certainly does seem like it's main target would be orphanages.

I agree it seems underpowered for a grand hex, so I've been looking at it from all ends trying to figure out a better use for it. It's huge and 15x15 so it could be 32 feet tall, a couple of stories anyway; that's more than just higher ground. Being able to use it as many times as you want and granting the houses fly, flying them up then turning off the hex lets you have an all day long meteor strike more or less which could be useful. Turning it off after placing it will likely give better hit points than leaving it animated, so that's kind of cool. The ability has style, I just want to figure out what to do with the damn thing. Orphanage meteo may be enough for me though.