PDA

View Full Version : How to make swords fly?

Gambitspades
2015-05-31, 07:58 PM
Now off course i know about dancing weapons enchantment.
But are there other ways of making weapons fly? i want to have flying swords beside me.
all books are enabled

JW86
2015-05-31, 08:04 PM
Not quite what you're looking for perhaps, but worth mentioning. These are not weapons, but spells...

Ring of Blades, a 3rd level Cleric Spell from Spell Compendium, creates a ring of swirling blades extending 5ft from you at all times, damaging enemies in your area.

Cloud of Knives, a 2nd level Cleric Spell from PHB2, does similar, but a knife flies and targets one enemy each round.

Necroticplague
2015-05-31, 08:05 PM
But are there other ways of making weapons fly? i want to have flying swords beside me.
all books are enabled

Flying enchantment from Oriental Adventure.

Flickerdart
2015-05-31, 08:05 PM
all books are enabled
Animate Weapon is the best way of doing this if what you want is literally making an existing weapon fly around. For spells that conjure weapons which then fly around, I have an entire list that I can dig up for you.

Venger
2015-05-31, 08:06 PM
whirling blade sor/wiz 2: huck a blade at your enemies, deal damage in a line (sculpt it for extra fun)

telekinesis (sor/wiz 5) throw stuff (like swords)

telekinetic thrust (psion3) propel a whole bunch of swords at once.

what class are you playing? we could give more specific advice that way.

Bronk
2015-05-31, 08:27 PM
all books are enabled

The +5 equivalent 'Obedient' weapon property from Dragon 302, p66, is just like the 'Dancing' property except that the weapon can fly around in a 120' range with a fly speed of 90' (good).

Darrin
2015-05-31, 10:30 PM
Flying enchantment from Oriental Adventure.

That just allows the wielder to fly (as well as immobilizing his arm). The Flying property from Magic of Faerun (+1 enhancement) is usually the most effective way to have a weapon attack independently.

jiriku
2015-05-31, 10:35 PM
The following spells either animate a weapon or create a force that at least superficially resembles a floating weapon.

spiritual weapon (PH 283), animate weapon (CM 95), ring of blades (SC 177), whirling blade (SC 238), steeldance (SC 206), blade barrier (PH 205), coat of arms (CM 99), sword of deception (SC 217), animate objects (PH 199), mordenkainen’s sword (PH 256), sword of darkness (SC 217), black blade of disaster (SC 29)

Gambitspades
2015-06-01, 03:45 AM
i want to focus mainly on two weapon fighting. its based on a character i made up using magnetism.
i probably start at swashbuckler or fighter.

frogglesmash
2015-06-01, 03:45 AM
Master of the Unseen Hand PrC let's you use telekinesis to swing a sword around using you're caster level as BAB, though it is widely accepted that the class is pretty bad unless you use a ghost entry.

Gambitspades
2015-06-02, 04:57 AM
The DM made a Weapon of legacy for me xD

Thurbane
2015-06-02, 05:08 AM
Get a Blade Spirit (RttToEE p.157) as a Cohort? It can animate up to 6 weapons at a time.

Segev
2015-06-02, 09:48 AM
If you don't care about the weapons that are floating actually attacking, you could achieve this with an unseen servant or two. They carry the weapons for you, and thus the weapons appear to float in mid air. Can't attack until they hand the weapons to you, however. Up side: no need for quick draw, as handing an item off (and receiving it) is a free action. Visually, your TWFighter grabs his swords out of the air and attacks, possibly releasing them to float again if he hands them back to the unseen servants when he's done.

This is particularly useful, however, with thrown weapons (e.g. javelins), as you can have those hovering near you and be handed them, throw them with TWF and Rapid Shot combined, and then have the unseen servants go pick them up and bring them back to you.

atemu1234
2015-06-02, 02:40 PM
Would Everdancing accomplish this?