PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Necromancer Class

intregus
2015-05-31, 09:53 PM
Hey guys i haven't gotten all of the fluff done for this class but it's my crack at making a necromancer! I really want feed back on this because I don't want it to be over or underpowered.

My initial idea was to base the class on the idea of the lawful neutral necromancer who controls life and death, so he's more of a cleric than he is a wizard. Anyway this is what I got.ty for these spells.

I am in the process of updating and posting this on the DMG

Gnomes2169
2015-05-31, 10:03 PM
Access to that document is restricted right now. If you unlock it (or approve my request to view it) I can give you a quick review if you wanted.

intregus
2015-05-31, 10:07 PM
link should be working now. thanks!

I also reread through it and forgot to make some changes before posting. Sorry it should be updated now

Steampunkette
2015-05-31, 11:23 PM
Honestly... I kind of feel like warlock class design would be best for a Necromancer, with different invocations to improve you minions or spellcasting or even your personal combat function.

With three subclasses to represent masters of death, the zombie master, and a sort of martial Lich King character who uses necromancy to empower himself and one or two undead as opposed to a horde and then wades into combat alongside his pets in a tactical manner.

PotatoGolem
2015-05-31, 11:24 PM
Looks more or less balanced to me. You're missing the spellcasting entry though, and that's important. What's your spellcasting mod? Can you forget existing spells and learn new ones? If so, when? Also, it wasn't super clear until the spell list that this is a full caster.

intregus
2015-06-01, 06:28 AM
Thanks guys.

I'll get the spellcasting stuff up later and it casts off cha.

intregus
2015-06-02, 05:17 PM
Got the spell casting stuff updated! Now starting to work on all the fluff.

Anyone else think this is an ok class to run?

Anything about the half-vampire race I should change?

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-06-22, 01:19 PM
The thing that makes me raise an eyebrow is its natural attack. I don't have an issue with it being finesse mechanically. Its actually the healing that scares me. This as a rogue would be terrifying because it heals by the damage dealt and sneak attack (and smite now that I think about it) would supercharge the hell out of this race. If they got only 1d4 per hit of health back it would make a little bit more sense.

intregus
2015-06-24, 11:13 PM
I intended for thevtemp HP to only be 1d4+modifier back. Didn't even think about SA or Smite. I'll try to reword it

keeper2161
2015-07-27, 10:15 AM
The vampire drain says to regain hitpoints of the necrotic damage delt. So you could say that the bite does necrotic damage.

ZenBear
2015-07-27, 11:46 AM
Honestly... I kind of feel like warlock class design would be best for a Necromancer, with different invocations to improve you minions or spellcasting or even your personal combat function.

With three subclasses to represent masters of death, the zombie master, and a sort of martial Lich King character who uses necromancy to empower himself and one or two undead as opposed to a horde and then wades into combat alongside his pets in a tactical manner.

That is an excellent idea! Managing a bunch of minions will severely slow combat, mind you.

keeper2161
2015-07-27, 01:53 PM
This reminds me of the dread necromancer from 3.5. I will definitely ask my dm if I can use both the class and the race.

intregus
2016-12-04, 12:39 AM
I am in the process of updating this and moving it to the DMG

DorkyBobster
2016-12-04, 10:25 PM
Where is the link?