PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need help finding a creature in my plane of existence

Legault
2015-06-01, 12:19 AM
A little background first. We are a lvl 16 party with a wizard, cleric and druid and other non-casters. Only core and complete books + ToB are allowed, but not psionics.

Ok, my problem is as follows:

A few levels ago (+5 years in-game), an important NPC died and was reincarnated elsewhere as something else. We don't know what he was reincarnated as. Now the whole party is level 16 and our wizard has just learned Discern Location. Mechanic-wise, I've been trying to look for ways to find this NPC and the best I can come up with is for the druid to cast Greater Scrying (since the wizard doesn't have that spell) and attempt to locate the NPC under the grounds of "knowing the scryee's (sic?) soul". Since this seems pretty flimsy for me, I was hoping the forum as a whole could help me. Is there a better way for us to find the NPC?

If my DM is reading this, I'm sorry and also screw you. He disjuncted all of our magic items.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-01, 12:23 AM
Hm.

To find a creature with the spell, you must have seen the creature or have some item that once belonged to it.
So if you have one of his former possessions (or can dig one up), you're good. Otherwise, it depends on whether someone who dies and is reincarnated counts as the same creature as before (if yes, you can cast DL; if no, you can't until you find an item they possessed).

Legault
2015-06-01, 12:26 AM
Already tried, the DM ruled that it doesn't count as the same creature as it's not the same body. We could try to look for former possessions, but that would lead us off track on our current quest. This is more like a side-thing that would be extremely awesome to do now that the wizard can DL. Would it be possible to use another spell other than Greater Scrying?

jiriku
2015-06-01, 12:43 AM
I might try just brute-forcing it with magic: Contact other plane: "where can I most conveniently find one of his possessions?" Scry location. Teleport. Grab. Return teleport. Discern Location.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-01, 02:49 AM
I might try just brute-forcing it with magic: Contact other plane: "where can I most conveniently find one of his possessions?" Scry location. Teleport. Grab. Return teleport. Discern Location.

This. As a 16th-level party with access to all three full-caster lists, if your DM wants to stop you from doing something they need to handwave it, because there's nothing that you mechanically can't do.

Legault
2015-06-01, 04:09 PM
The NPC was a bear. He had no possessions. Unless dig up the bones of the previous body and convince the DM to allow that as a possession, I doubt that could be possible.

Now if my DM is in this board, he'll definitely know. Again, disjunction. So screw you.

Geddy2112
2015-06-01, 04:27 PM
This. As a 16th-level party with access to all three full-caster lists, if your DM wants to stop you from doing something they need to handwave it, because there's nothing that you mechanically can't do.

This. Some other helpful spells are Legend Lore, Vision, and Commune. Use commune over Contact other plane as it will always go to the cleric's deity, without the risk of false information or ability damage. Legend lore will take a while so vision is your best bet.

Then again, your DM is the type to use disjunction so you might just be fiat screwed. Legend lore and vision require the thing to be level 11 or have been a part of a legendary character's quest. Since it happened a few levels ago you were hopefully at least level 11 so I would think your DM would say you at least have detailed information on this person(although DM could say its new because reincarnation and F you). Divination spells are only as useful as your DM will allow.

Legault
2015-06-01, 07:39 PM
The legend lore or vision spells will definitely be of help, thanks everyone.

Also, our DM is not usually bad, he just woke up one day and decided "nope, disjunction". Our wizard was really pissed about it since she had various metamagic rods and a rod of Python

Deox
2015-06-02, 02:36 AM
The NPC was a bear. He had no possessions. Unless dig up the bones of the previous body and convince the DM to allow that as a possession, I doubt that could be possible.

As has been mentioned before, you have access to every last bit of magic to receive appropriate responses / clues. Your DM will determine how effective these spells are, however. "Brute Forcing" magic may be the best route.

Now if my DM is in this board, he'll definitely know. Again, disjunction. So screw you.

If you're having dispel problems, I feel bad for you son. You've got a few problems, but disjunction ain't one (very easily countered, and you have 8th level spell access).