PDA

View Full Version : *SPOILER* How long should Roy be dead?

Hinton
2007-04-23, 07:25 AM
Since Roy is/was the leader of the OotS, and we can be pretty sure he'll be back eventually, just how long should he remain (the dearly) departed?

Pancho Villa
2007-04-23, 07:26 AM
Uh, however long the author thinks is thematically appropriate?

NeonRonin
2007-04-23, 07:39 AM
Long enough to have one last major argument in the spirit world with his dad, perhaps gleaning some info vital to Xykon's downfall before being Raised.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-23, 07:41 AM
Roy will return from the dead at the speed of the plot.

Kaerou
2007-04-23, 07:50 AM
I hope we get to see the player start a new character for a few weeks as a temp. Get a few jokes out of that, then when Roy is raised we'll get deleveling jokes and the other character can just pop away as fast as V's raven.

Darkuwa
2007-04-23, 08:23 AM
I think he should stay dead for the same reason Dumbledore should stay dead. It cheapens the death of the character if he is simply brought back. I don't think he should be brought back unless the OoTS storm's the planes and brings him back.

Of course I cried like a baby for the last 2 chapters of Harry Potter 6 and only shed one tear for Roy.

Grey Watcher
2007-04-23, 08:49 AM
I think he should stay dead for the same reason Dumbledore should stay dead. It cheapens the death of the character if he is simply brought back. I don't think he should be brought back unless the OoTS storm's the planes and brings him back.

Of course I cried like a baby for the last 2 chapters of Harry Potter 6 and only shed one tear for Roy.

Yeah, but the problem is that this comic is explicitly based on Dungeons and Dragons, in which spells like Raise Dead and Resurrection are not only present, but available to all but the weakest characters. If Rich is going to have Roy die permanently, there has to be some reason for it. Either he doesn't want to come back (unlikely, he wouldn't want to abandon the world to Xykon, and admitting failure to his dad? Yeah right.), or some weird cosmic vodoo takes place and prevents his soul from returning. And since he died of mundane falling damage, there's no readily apparent rules reason why he shouldn't be able to come back (dying by a spell like Finger of Death carries with it special rules, for example).

EDIT: Besides, this was a pretty cheap death anyway. He died of a fall and only because he didn't remember Celia's talisman in time.

Long enough to have one last major argument in the spirit world with his dad, perhaps gleaning some info vital to Xykon's downfall before being Raised.

Actually, in that case I'd predict that Roy will be Raised just when his dad is about to reveal some key piece of information.

Pantler
2007-04-23, 08:57 AM
He'll be back in no time. After all, it's not like there's an evil epic-level lich sorcerer around who could use some sort of ubermagic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/soulBind.htm) that would bind his soul or something.

Sethis
2007-04-23, 08:58 AM
Funny but unlikely possibility: Roy stays dead. Celia turns out to be pregnant, gives birth, and raises a son, sending the Blood Oath to the next generation. Said son is raised on another plane where time passes slower or not at all relative to the Prime Material(they exist). Said son then enters the battle, right now, and singlehandedly wins :P

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-23, 09:03 AM
Actually, time would have to pass faster on that plane relative to the Prime Material in order for that to work.

Nathander
2007-04-23, 09:05 AM
He'll be back in no time. After all, it's not like there's an evil epic-level lich sorcerer around who could use some sort of ubermagic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/soulBind.htm) that would bind his soul or something.

Possible, but it's unlikely Xykon honestly cares enough. While he most likely could if he wanted to (and if he possesses Soul Bind), I don't think he even feels Roy to be enough of a threat to him to really care about doing so.

As for me, while I'd like to see Roy come back, it really is the Giant's decision. That being said, if Roy comes back, I'd like it to be after the battle is finished, as I doubt anyone could get there fast enough to Raise him, unless Durkon somehow noticed/eventually sees Roy out there and risks going out there to raise him and, after doing so, is himself killed.

SteveMB
2007-04-23, 09:11 AM
Perhaps he could, but he apparently didn't (and doesn't really care that much anyway -- the Meteor Swarm was probably one more high-level spell slot that he wanted to use on Pucequillion or whatever his name is, anyway).

Faramir
2007-04-23, 09:19 AM

Where's the amusement value in that?

For Xykon I mean.

Jayabalard
2007-04-23, 09:20 AM
ressurected in the next couple of strips, to face Xykon again before the end of the battle /nod.

Funny but unlikely possibility: Roy stays dead. Celia turns out to be pregnant, gives birth, and raises a son, sending the Blood Oath to the next generation. Said son is raised on another plane where time passes slower or not at all relative to the Prime Material(they exist). Said son then enters the battle, right now, and singlehandedly wins :PThat's too... "Ice Pirates" to be believable...

Maroon
2007-04-23, 09:22 AM
I'd like to see this Roy-Dad conversation ("Nice job mentioning the phylactery, dad").

He should stay dead long enough for Durkon to get a decent amount of screen time.

Rad
2007-04-23, 09:28 AM
Perhaps he could, but he apparently didn't (and doesn't really care that much anyway -- the Meteor Swarm was probably one more high-level spell slot that he wanted to use on Pucequillion or whatever his name is, anyway).
that, and the fact that he needed to kill the zombie dragon... magic missile would probably not have been enough.

Ralfarius
2007-04-23, 09:40 AM
I'm shocked by the number of votes for "staying dead" in this poll... How many of you are as cruel and mean-spirited as I!?

Porthos
2007-04-23, 09:42 AM
Considering how long the subpolts for Elan's kidnapping and Haley's aphasia took to be resolved, I'm betting on 50+ strips. :smallwink:

At the minimum, we still have the remainder of this battle to be fought (which looks like it will take a while). And then we have to see Haley Realizing That Second-In-Command Ain't A Great Job If The First-In-Command Dies. Then we have the whole Roy/Eugene confrontation. Plus whatever other devious sidetracks enter in Rich's head.

So I would tend to think later rather than sooner. :smallsmile:

Om
2007-04-23, 09:47 AM
Permanently. I know that this is DnD and I do love Roy but death is death. It should have some impact.

Xiander
2007-04-23, 09:58 AM
That's too... "Ice Pirates" to be believable...

Holy crap!! someone other than me actually whatchet that movie?
Nice :smallsmile:

That said, i would say Roy stays down for the rest of the battle, unless some major twist is revealed that either makes him needed before that or makes sure he cannot come back.

scwizard
2007-04-23, 10:02 AM
Permanently. I know that this is DnD and I do love Roy but death is death. It should have some impact.
Dude, there's a big difference between a mentor figure like Dumbledore or that funny dude with the cat dying and not coming back and the main character dying and not coming back.

Also the amount of loops Rich would have to jump though for him not to come back is pretty huge.

Finally death should have some impact, but not cheap deaths like that. With a death that cheap it's pretty obvious that he's going to be back.

fred321
2007-04-23, 10:02 AM
I believe Roy won't be the only loss of the order in this battle, Durkon may also die and then the rest will take then to be ressurrected at Durkon's homeland

Om
2007-04-23, 10:09 AM
Dude, there's a big difference between a mentor figure like Dumbledore or that funny dude with the cat dying and not coming back and the main character dying and not coming back.Very true. Roy's death would grealty change the dynamics of the group and probably for the worse. Roy was always my favourite character after all.

However if you look around the forums the reaction to his death has largely revolved around the mechanics of his revival. He's dead and soon he'll be ressurected. The very mechanics of DnD contrive to neutralise the impact of death. Imagine the scene if it was made clear that Roy was not coming back. Suddenly this strip becomes far more hard hitting.

Finally death should have some impact, but not cheap deaths like that. With a death that cheap it's pretty obvious that he's going to be back.Cheap? Well that's the fantasy/Hollywood perspective talking - a PC/hero only dies if his death will defeat the villain or save the world. By any other standard Roy's death (jumping onto a dragon for a fight that he would be hard pressed to win) is pretty damn impressive.

Firestar27
2007-04-23, 10:32 AM
Hinjo will have a cleric raise Roy. Hinjo owes Roy. When Hinjo was about to be killed by Miko, Roy saved him. Roy also stopped the assasins from killing Hinjo. He owes Roy the ressurection. If he doesn't supply a cleric with true ressurection/normal ressurection (maybe it's too high level), then he should supply the diamond for the raise dead.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-23, 10:40 AM
Roy needs to stay dead long enough to go to the afterlife and get yelled at by his dad.

jindra34
2007-04-23, 10:42 AM
his dad is still in the circle... i think...

Deuce
2007-04-23, 10:49 AM
OK, I just realized there's one other high-level Cleric in this fight, who may be near Roy's body and could cast Raise/Rez on Roy . . .

:redcloak: - yup, Redcloak.

No, I have not been drinking, there could be a good reason.

There's been a subversive undercurrent in Redcloak for some time. His encounter with Miko dropped some hints that his Deity might want to see the world destroyed (not just ruled by Xykon). I could see Xykon about to take the tower when Roy shows up, power-attacks him in a surprise round (maybe aided by some buffing from Redcloak) and finishes off what a dozen or so high-level Paladins started. The Good-guys rejoice, the bad-guys crumble and then Redcloak gives the fire order to the catpults that takes out the tower and the gate.

Once Xykon regens, Redcloak tells him it was a last desperate attempt to kill the humans fighting him, and "sorry about the gate, I guess we'll have to go and get me close to another one". Kind of like the last two. I mean there was the fire, and then he didn't seem to do much to protect the next gate . . .

jindra34
2007-04-23, 10:51 AM
OK, I just realized there's one other high-level Cleric in this fight, who may be near Roy's body and could cast Raise/Rez on Roy . . .

:redcloak: - yup, Redcloak.

No, I have not been drinking, there could be a good reason.

There's been a subversive undercurrent in Redcloak for some time. His encounter with Miko dropped some hints that his Deity might want to see the world destroyed (not just ruled by Xykon). I could see Xykon about to take the tower when Roy shows up, power-attacks him in a surprise round (maybe aided by some buffing from Redcloak) and finishes off what a dozen or so high-level Paladins started. The Good-guys rejoice, the bad-guys crumble and then Redcloak gives the fire order to the catpults that takes out the tower and the gate.

Once Xykon regens, Redcloak tells him it was a last desperate attempt to kill the humans fighting him, and "sorry about the gate, I guess we'll have to go and get me close to another one". Kind of like the last two. I mean there was the fire, and then he didn't seem to do much to protect the next gate . . .
IF redcloak plans to destroy the gates it would be toooo perfect... just like the talisman...

Setra
2007-04-23, 10:59 AM
Hmm... I'd say let him stay dead for a while, so the Order finds out how much they really need him.

redcodekevin
2007-04-23, 11:01 AM
I believe Roy won't be the only loss of the order in this battle, Durkon may also die and then the rest will take then to be ressurrected at Durkon's homeland

I like this one... After all, Durkon will return to his homeland posthumously (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html).

EDIT: I'm pretty sure we'll see Roy's misadventures in the 'dead land', it should give him more insight on his quest to destroy Xykon and I think it necessary for the plot, or there would be no reason for him to die.

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-23, 11:24 AM
I wonder if Eugene'll try to have the quest passed on to Julia regardless of it Roy is resurrected on the grounds that "he died, the oath can;t be passed back up again".

V Junior
2007-04-23, 11:32 AM
I can SEE Elan running to Haley in the middle of the night, yelling

"THERE'S A GHOST IN MY ROOM!"

Haley gets Durkon to Turn Undead, and it hits Roy's ghostly foot. Roy says

"ARGGH! DAMN IT DURKON!" wjich explains the OOTS' queries about just where the hell Roy is.

Lrbearclaw
2007-04-23, 11:41 AM
Hmmmm who said he is dead? ;)

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-23, 11:56 AM

This fighter is no more! He has ceased to be! He's expired and gone to meet his maker! He's a stiff! Bereft of life, he rests in peace! If he wasn't pushed into the ground he'd be pushing up daisies! This... is an X-eye'd-Roy!"

Ralfarius
2007-04-23, 11:56 AM
The x.x face has consistently represented a character having totally gacked. Being that Roy has the little x's for eyes, I think it's safe to say he bit it.

Whup, looks like I got ninja'd by a flying circus.

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 11:59 AM
Permanently. :smallsmile:

happyturtle
2007-04-23, 12:32 PM

The tears in HP6 weren't for Dumbledore, they were for everyone who lost him. The Oots tears will come when Elan finds out that Roy is dead. :smallfrown:

nocker
2007-04-23, 12:41 PM
I hope we get to see the player start a new character for a few weeks as a temp. Get a few jokes out of that, then when Roy is raised we'll get deleveling jokes and the other character can just pop away as fast as V's raven.

This would rule so much, for all the wrong reasons. Hey, maybe
Roy's player takes over the unnatural acts of wizardry girl. He seems to be used to playing wizards (who else puts lots of intelligence on a fighter) and she already looked cynical enough.

Setra
2007-04-23, 12:45 PM
The tears in HP6 weren't for Dumbledore, they were for everyone who lost him. The Oots tears will come when Elan finds out that Roy is dead. :smallfrown:
I find that it's hard for OotS to make me cry.

Though Elan finding out Roy is dead might do it, if he isn't reminded Roy can be brought back to life.

The whole resurrection thing kind of ruins drama, then again the comic is more comedy based, so yeah.

Sinnix
2007-04-23, 01:11 PM
Death is always cheapened in a setting where you know resurrection magic exists. Considering we know there is the appropriate amount of diamonds sitting around and a cleric with the power to resurrect (thanks to the comic (410) showing the failed attempt to bring Lord Shojo back to life), it's safe to assume all the necessary literary resources are in place to revive Roy.

That said, it's also safe to assume that Rich is a quality writer who understands the impact of killing off a primary character. This event opens up a plethora of possible plot directions that really does make the mind turn.

If it was me, I'd leave him dead.

SteveMB
2007-04-23, 01:13 PM

Yeah, Poor Elan, losing his surrogate big brother (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0388.html)....

Doran
2007-04-23, 01:23 PM
Two of my favourite webcomic characters die in three weeks, hopefully this won't be like the first (http://www.manatheater.com/200/SOM279.swf) - permanent (http://www.manatheater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1163&highlight=#1163).

Marcotic
2007-04-23, 01:36 PM
When he died I was all like NOOOO! but then I was all like Oh yeah DND.

Gitman00
2007-04-23, 01:37 PM
If it was me, I'd leave him dead.

Nah. Roy is the central protagonist. His death didn't accomplish anything. He didn't foil Xykon. Didn't save Azure City. Didn't sacrifice himself so someone else could live. He died on the very cusp of rescue. In a comedy webcomic, a tragedy that complete is out of place, especially with so much unresolved. And it's not like there's an actor that won't re-up his contract. He'll be back.

EDIT: That said, excellent comic all around. My jaw dropped when Roy hit the ground and his eyes went X.

Vulion
2007-04-23, 02:13 PM
Maybe by some cosmic mojo, the gods perhaps, Roy will be revived the second Xykon has pushed the forces of Azure City back into the throne room and it's Hinjo, what's left of the Azure City military and what's left of the Order and skewer the Lich whilst said Lich is giving his mandatory bad guy wins speech.

Just a thought.

I hope it's as soon as possible.:smallbiggrin:

jindra34
2007-04-23, 02:14 PM
Maybe by some cosmic mojo, the gods perhaps, Roy will be revived the second Xykon has pushed the forces of Azure City back into the throne room and it's Hinjo, what's left of the Azure City military and what's left of the Order and skewer the Lich whilst said Lich is giving his mandatory bad guy wins speech.

Just a thought.

I hope it's as soon as possible.:smallbiggrin:

IF that were to happen he would also like have a force of celestials coming to back him up...

Vulion
2007-04-23, 02:17 PM
I hope it happens like it happened with Elan smashing through the window, the event happens than the explanation is done in a flashback.

Oxymoron
2007-04-23, 02:34 PM
Holy crap!! someone other than me actually whatchet that movie?
Nice :smallsmile:

Thanks, no I feel old :smallannoyed:

Brickman
2007-04-23, 03:45 PM
There are certain rules to literary death. An important, well-liked character can only die either by the direct action of an (if not the) important villain, saving an ally, or in some other very dramatic fashion; if you're more than one plot arc old you're immune to random encounters. As a rule he cannot even be killed by a standard attack; there must be something special about whatever finishes him off. Once the person dies, the writer will make sure that it is as clear as possible that he's truly dead, leaving no doubt even to fans who refuse to believe it because they like him. And once a significant character of any kind, whether hero, villain or even secondary, dies, they are dead. And these rules apply to humorous but plot-driven webcomics too (http://www.incomprehensibility.com/archives.php?type=iwd&c=354). If these rules are not followed, death in your story becomes meaningless and the drama is lost.

Minor, silly characters like the random drunken mage are one thing, but this is not, say, Bob and George visit DnD, or a simple joke-a-day comic. Things that happen in this comic are permanent and continuity is never broken. Just because Rich comes up with twenty new jokes he should have used back in Durokun's Dungeon doesn't mean he'll teleport them back there, just because he had a great new idea for a joke involving that druid character doesn't mean he's resurrected (actually, I don't remember if he's dead, but that's beside the point), and just because people liked Roy doesn't mean his death is temporary. He is dead. He's not completely out of the comic--he WILL appear in flashbacks and exposition and perhaps even dreams and stuff, likely with spoken dialogue--but he is dead, and will stay dead.

There's nothing unsatisfying about this death to me. He was killed on a serious note, as part of a heroic sacrifice where he knew it was near-suicide, and ample attention was paid to his last desperate moments. He was even offered a chance to live, which he adamantly refused. So Xykon, the story's main villain who is already established as way out of his league, kills him by casting a high level spell that only wounds him, but then it is the fall damage from the situation Roy willingly and knowingly put himself in finishes him off, and he casts it with a definite degree of finality and full confidence that this spell is instant death (which it is). Not just another attack that happened to be his last HP. An already wounded Roy hits the ground struggling to find one last out, and with a splat he is given the same X-eyes that have denoted complete death for the last 443 episodes. I don't even remember anyone questioning Shojo died the panel he got X-eyes. Though he didn't accomplish anything in dying, I consider this just as, if not more, satisfying as any other literary death, especially the "sacrificial" Hollywood deaths.

Was Roy useful for both humor and plot? Yes, of course. But this is a story about a PARTY of heroes, and there's others to carry the protagonist torch. I think it's no more likely that Roy will be revived than that Rich will rebuild and send the party back to the dungeon the first 120 strips in (that's more than one quarter of the comic to date). And they blew that up.

Setra
2007-04-23, 04:34 PM
Hey, I'd just like to note that Leeky is in fact, alive, and out of Jail.

Jawajoey
2007-04-23, 04:58 PM
One major reason to think he'll come back: He's intact. Despite the sound effect, he's in one piece, ready to stand up again. It realistically should have been a much more "splaty" splat, and probably would have if it was supposed to be impossible to rez him.

Basically, there's no reason why he can't be rezzed at this point. Shojo's non-resurrection was accounted for, but Roy doesn't have that reason. The only question is, where did Roy land? He could still be in serious trouble if the good guys can't retrieve him safely or in time.

Jayabalard
2007-04-24, 01:37 PM
I wonder if Eugene'll try to have the quest passed on to Julia regardless of it Roy is resurrected on the grounds that "he died, the oath can;t be passed back up again".Roy isn't bound by anything that compels him to complete Eugene's blood oath; he's doing it out of his own sense of responsibility, which Julia won't necessarily feel since she's true neutral; If it weren't for the threat to the entire world, I would tell you to shove your "blood oath" against Xykon up your wrinkled incorporeal ass (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0293.html) (emphasis mine).

besides, Eugene can't even get in to talk to her at her school.

If these rules are not followed, death in your story becomes meaningless and the drama is lost.I'm not sure if you're aware, but OoTS is a primarily comedy comic about D&D.

Death in such a story world is meaningless.

SilverSabre25
2007-04-24, 02:19 PM
Someone brought up Redcloak, I noticed. Who's to say that Redcloak won't see Roy and say, "Gee, it's a high-level adventurer. What fun!" and use animate dead on him?

Willahad
2007-04-24, 02:29 PM
I went for "after the battle". I figured that the Giant wouldn't just kill him and then resurect him a few strips later. I noticed a few people put "pemanently"
I concidered it, but the giant wouldn't do that

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-04-24, 06:17 PM
We already know that Azure city has both the wealth and the priests to resurect and Hinjo would probably be willing to.

Mad Scientist
2007-04-24, 10:23 PM
I originally voted "next week", but that's only 2 comics from now. Was it supposed to be next week for the reader or next week for the characters?

jindra34
2007-04-24, 10:23 PM
I originally voted "next week", but that's only 2 comics from now. Was it supposed to be next week for the reader or next week for the characters?

BY the order i would guess for us...

Icewalker
2007-04-25, 12:54 AM
And then we have to see Haley Realizing That Second-In-Command Ain't A Great Job If The First-In-Command Dies.

I think that should be in a spoiler tag, due to it being in On the Origin of PCs. Although I'm not actually sure.

I had totally forgotten that Haley had gotten herself elected second in command. Guess she'll be taking control til hes back. also, leading the attempts to resurrect him.

...doesn't mean his death is temporary. He is dead.

However, in a dnd universe, resurrection is easy to come by, so there will be no breaking of continuity, and no plot holes.

Maltrich
2007-04-25, 01:01 AM

Pff, Dumbledore was never dead in the first place. Since when did Avada Kedavra knock people off walls, why didn't we see the body, and what the heck was Fawkes singing about outside the tower the whole time they were in the infirmary? Obviously, Snape used his ability to cast spells without speaking to cast something like Expelliarmus that knocks things/people around to push Dumbledore off the tower, and his massive falling wounds were immediately healed by Fawkes' tears.

Despite what J. K. Rowling might think or state in her official interviews, her character is very much alive and kicking.

And in this case, I'm pretty sure death is supposed to be cheap. They're playing D&D: nothing is irreversible, and some things, like death, are merely annoying.

theKOT
2007-04-25, 01:06 AM
I know he will be back, but frankly, I don't care when. He adds nothing to my enjoyment of the strip and I could care less if I never see him again.

ref
2007-04-25, 02:55 AM
Might take a few months. There's Roy as a spirit/undead jokes, OotS sans Roy jokes, and they may take some time. If Miko learns that Azure City is spending resources to resurrect Roy (yay alliteration) she's gonna go berserk.

PaladinFreak
2007-04-25, 06:23 AM
Are we forgetting Elan's prophecy? The story will have a happy ending for him.

And, without Roy, I can't see Elan having a very happy ending.

bluish_wolf
2007-04-25, 06:39 AM
Are we forgetting Elan's prophecy? The story will have a happy ending for him.

And, without Roy, I can't see Elan having a very happy ending.

Why not? Elan can make new friends. Adventurers should be used to having people they know die.

Bernemer
2007-04-25, 08:50 AM
Actually as the comic is based on DnD and by the way the story works not just PC/NPC-concepts, but actual game rules - hence, hinting at the possibility that there might be players for the PCs - the death of the First-in-Command might be a great time to switch the perspective from the PCs to the players behind the PCs... although that would mean quite a break for the story, not just by perspective, but also lasting a lot of panels...

Yet, my personal (and to be honest: quite unrealistic) preference is that Roy should be back by next week... I like that PC and I like the way he is played, even though the player behind Roy fails again and again to remember the rules and gets his character into a lot of trouble that way - including his recent death.

Matter-of-factly, Roy's player isn't the only one with a certain "rule problem"...

See: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0018.html
or http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0025.html and, sorry, most of all Durkon's player: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0034.html

Bork The Fallen
2007-04-25, 09:22 AM
I posted Several Months, so we can have a side quest!!

Gitman00
2007-04-25, 09:35 AM
Someone brought up Redcloak, I noticed. Who's to say that Redcloak won't see Roy and say, "Gee, it's a high-level adventurer. What fun!" and use animate dead on him?

Well, he could do that, but Roy being high-level wouldn't mean much. Class levels don't count toward hit dice for zombies, so he'll just make another standard 2d12 zombie.

zipnab
2007-04-25, 09:50 AM
Pop!

I think there are two ways to look at this subject - on one hand, this is a comic webcomic, but on the other, it is a well written story. Much of the effect will be lost if Roy is resurrected by the next few strips. However, if Roy is permanently dead, it will be just too depressing.
If OOTS wasn't a humorous comic, I would have really appreciated Rich for the ability to kill off such a main character - but it is a comical, epic story, not an ASOIAF book.
So, I think it should take some good number of strips, and then Roy will return the land of the painted living. Amen.

*Sorry for grammer mistakes, not an English speaker. Writer. Whatever.

Alysar
2007-04-25, 11:34 AM
I vote several months. He should be given some quest or something on the upper planes that he must accomplish. Rich should occasionally switch back and forth between him and the rest of the OotS before Roy eventually gets resurrected. Or maybe he helps them in ghost form with the rest of them unable to see him.

Citizen Joe
2007-04-25, 11:48 AM

I just thought I'd note that Roy made a crater... that's alot of impact.

Galdred
2007-04-25, 12:03 PM
Aren't there some cases in which the person is not resurrectable?

From previous other posts,
He would have 13*CON bonus (that is +3 or +4 depending on wether it is 16 or 18) + 10+12D10 HP= probably 49+12D10

and takes 32+6D6 (FoD)+32D6(meteors)+20D6(falling)=32+58D6

We can compute the probability he had of escaping his death:
He has 17+12D10-58D6 remaining, if he has a CON of 16:

There is 1.15 chance out of 10^15 for this total to be positive in this case.

If he has a CON of 18, it becomes a little better:
He ends with about 1.1 chance out of 10^12...

Now, we can infer the probability he has of being over -10

But even with 18 CON, he'd still be at around 1 out of 10^10 chances of being over -10 HP
And he is almost certainly below -50 (about 4 chance out of 10.000 to be over this total).

Could he hope for a resurrection under such circumstances?

Jayabalard
2007-04-25, 12:07 PM
a thought...

While posthumously usually means after you die... it's literal meaning is just "after death" Perhaps Durkon will return to his homeland after Roy's death rather than his own... It would fit with the MO of the oracle, giving a technically true answer that isn't necessarily very useful.

Wardog
2007-04-25, 12:47 PM

But Soul Bind requires "A black sapphire of at least 1,000 gp value for every Hit Die possessed by the creature whose soul is to be bound."

Would Xycon really be willing to spend such resources to bind the soul of... some adventurer who jumped on his dragon, caused a bit of annoyance, and then got killed?

jindra34
2007-04-25, 12:50 PM
But Soul Bind requires "A black sapphire of at least 1,000 gp value for every Hit Die possessed by the creature whose soul is to be bound."

Would Xycon really be willing to spend such resources to bind the soul of... some adventurer who jumped on his dragon, caused a bit of annoyance, and then got killed?

DOubt Xykon has the 13000 gp black saphire... or enough money to get one... he did have to hire an army of hobgoblins...

Brickman
2007-04-25, 02:27 PM
Pop!

I think there are two ways to look at this subject - on one hand, this is a comic webcomic, but on the other, it is a well written story. Much of the effect will be lost if Roy is resurrected by the next few strips. However, if Roy is permanently dead, it will be just too depressing.
If OOTS wasn't a humorous comic, I would have really appreciated Rich for the ability to kill off such a main character - but it is a comical, epic story, not an ASOIAF book.
So, I think it should take some good number of strips, and then Roy will return the land of the painted living. Amen.

*Sorry for grammer mistakes, not an English speaker. Writer. Whatever.

Not really. As long as you don't dwell on it forever and you have enough other "main" characters to carry the torch, a humorous story can survive the heroic death of a main character. I'm gonna point again to the example (http://www.incomprehensibility.com/archives.php?type=iwd&c=355) of "In Wily's Defense" again. That's pretty comparable to this in terms of the story-humor balance, maybe slightly more humor. And in the strip I just linked, one of the main characters dies. Permanently. He's there in a few more flashbacks and one hallucination, but he's dead, and a poll the author had run before that said he was the most popular character in the comic. But you know what? The comic went about another year after that until the story's natural, preplanned ending, and I don't think everyone stopped reading or it stopped being funny. The "Sad effect" will wear off in a week or two once that stops being the last strip in the comic.

Roderick_BR
2007-04-25, 02:29 PM
As soon as a cleric can reach his body in the middle of the battle field. very probably after the battle. I'd like to see Roy and his father discussing.

Lolzords
2007-04-25, 02:46 PM
Nah, he'll be back in about 50 strips or so, Roy's the pure balls of the team, no one could replace him.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-25, 03:50 PM
Aren't there some cases in which the person is not resurrectable?

Only if the victim is Soul Bound, turned into an undead, slain by a deity, eaten by a Barghest, killed by old age, or destroyed by select extraplanar means that cannot be reliably duplicated (eg Sphere of Annihilation, Bag of Devouring--If you get one, you can kill people pretty efficiently, but they cannot be created by any normal means). Also note that most of these can be undone: A Soul Binding can be ended if the onyx gem containing the soul is broken, a victim who has become undead can be raised after said undead is destroyed, and Barghests and Bags of Devouring have only a 50% chance of causing permadeath. If you're killed by a Sphere of Annihilation, get killed by an appropriate deity, or fail the 50% resurrection roll after encounering a Barghest or Bag of Devouring, you can only be brought back by certain deities. If a deity with the right abilities decides to just snuff your life out, the deity that revives you must be at least as powerful as the one who killed you.

Tmabbbb
2007-04-25, 07:23 PM
I would really, really, appreciate it if Roy was never ressurected. Unfortunately, however, I am sure that he will be, even if not after the battle. I guess I can still enjoy the strips until he is here again.

dekai
2007-04-25, 08:14 PM
What I would enjoy would be this: Roy gets up to the Astral Planes and finds his father. Conversation would go something like this

"ROY, what are you doing here!"
"Nice to see you too Dad, I died""
"Did you get Xykon at least?"
"Oh yeah, I forgot about that as I was falling thousands of feet to my utter death."
"Get back down there!"
*Kicks Roy back down to his body*

Alysar
2007-04-25, 08:14 PM
a thought...

While posthumously usually means after you die... it's literal meaning is just "after death" Perhaps Durkon will return to his homeland after Roy's death rather than his own... It would fit with the MO of the oracle, giving a technically true answer that isn't necessarily very useful.

I think that's too much of a stretch even for an oracle that deliberately trying to be obscure.

Solara
2007-04-25, 09:02 PM
In most stories bringing a character back from the dead cheapens things and usually seems like a Deus Ex Machina, yes, but here it's the other way around and we're talking about a setting where the Giant would have to jump through an awful lot of contrived hoops just to create a halfway believable reason why Roy should stay dead. So yes, I 'm pretty sure he's coming back.

Remember, it's considered preferrable to keep a group of murderous villains locked up instead of executing them, because the chance of escape --even after they've already escaped prison in the past-- is far less likely than the chance of coming back to life.

jindra34
2007-04-25, 09:05 PM
Remember, it's considered preferrable to keep a group of murderous villains locked up instead of executing them, because the chance of escape --even after they've already escaped prison in the past-- is far less likely than the chance of coming back to life.

That seems really sad...

Geilan
2007-04-25, 09:35 PM
Pff, Dumbledore was never dead in the first place. Since when did Avada Kedavra knock people off walls, why didn't we see the body, and what the heck was Fawkes singing about outside the tower the whole time they were in the infirmary? Obviously, Snape used his ability to cast spells without speaking to cast something like Expelliarmus that knocks things/people around to push Dumbledore off the tower, and his massive falling wounds were immediately healed by Fawkes' tears.

Despite what J. K. Rowling might think or state in her official interviews, her character is very much alive and kicking.

And in this case, I'm pretty sure death is supposed to be cheap. They're playing D&D: nothing is irreversible, and some things, like death, are merely annoying.

I've got a REALLY good conspiracy theory concerning Dumbledore...

He's got a Horcrux! Book 1, on the chocolate frog, when he was mentioned for his "Defeat of the Dark Wizard Grindelwald.." It would qualify as murder, no? And following the suit of Voldemort, he put his in his companion, and what better companion than a phoenix? It's immortal, based on how Voldemort already killed it once... Therefore a part of him lives forever.

Kreistor
2007-04-25, 09:41 PM

If you go that way, it can be relative to anyone's death, not just someone in the OotS. Like Shojo.

No, as an answer to Durkon's question, the answer is relative to Durkon, so it has to be after Durkon's death.

Kreistor
2007-04-25, 09:43 PM
Unintentional duplicate post

Phoenix Talion
2007-04-25, 10:08 PM
A few in-comic weeks, with Roy lingering as a ghost.

David
2007-04-25, 10:12 PM

Of course Dumbledore is dead... He already has his portrait along the other Headmaster/mistress's

This just have come to my mind and made a connection: isn't an horcrux the same as a philactery? did J. K. just stole the idea?

Back on topic: Roy will come back in 25 or so strips...

Kreistor
2007-04-25, 10:42 PM
Well, it may not be Durkon that brings him back, it seems now. Durkon is happy with how Roy died, and so may resist bringing him back.

Snipers_Promise
2007-04-25, 10:43 PM
Im going to go with after the battle because :durkon: made that little speech and thats a que to give other charcters the spotlight.