PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo based character

j_spencer93
2015-06-01, 03:13 PM
For awhile now i have had a player want to make a character around tattoos, but we haven't decided on what kind of tattoos yet. so i want to make a list of tattoo themed things to show him and am looking for anything i might have missed.
Feats
Tattoo magic
tattoo focus
Atlan's mark
Sacred Tattoo
Scribe Tatoo

Class
Red Wizard
Tattooed Monk

frogglesmash
2015-06-01, 03:22 PM
You've got scribe tattoo there so you're probably aware of them, but just incase I'm going to mention the crawling tattoos that ExPH introduced.
There's also the tattoo alternate spellbook option in Complete Arcane iirc.

Baroknik
2015-06-01, 03:54 PM
Psionic tattoos are basically the psionic version of potions, but you can actually make"circuits" with them as well. Most of the info on tattoos are on d20srd.org for free under the psionic section; the rules for the circuitry is on a wotc web article that you should be able to find in their archives for free. I'm on my phone or I'd look it up to link for you.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-01, 03:58 PM
Contingent spells are slotless items, so you could take Craft Contingent Spell and fluff them as tattoos as it doesn't really make any difference rule-wise.

The RuneTattoocaster PrC (FR Campaign Settin 51) offers great class features like RuneTattoo Craft, RuneTattoo power, Improved RuneTattoocasting, Maximize RuneTattoo and RuneTattoo Chant to tattoo based divine spellcasters. It requires Inscribe RuneTattoo to enter.
There's also the GeometTattooer (Complete Arcane 39), if you're into arcane spellcasting.

j_spencer93
2015-06-01, 04:06 PM
lol never thought of refluffing runes honestly

BWR
2015-06-01, 04:45 PM
What sources do you accept?

Flickerdart
2015-06-01, 05:06 PM
There's a spell called Create Magic Tattoo that grants a 24-hour long buff in the form of a tattoo. It's not a spectacularly powerful spell due to its 100gp material component cost, but if you can turn it into an SLA (such as with Archmage High Arcana) it's rather decent.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-01, 05:12 PM
Is Pathfinder content allowed? If so, there's the Cryptic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/cryptic), a psionic class who stores their known powers as tattoos.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-01, 05:25 PM
Thayan Knight (Complete Warrior 85) and Leech Ghost Skill (Ghostwalk Web Enhancement) also contain the word "tattoo". The latter also looks surprisingly neat from an optimization point of view for something that I've never heard about until today, as it grants an unspecified amount of skill ranks for CL days for little investment and I assume could be used for early qualification into various PrCs.

j_spencer93
2015-06-01, 06:13 PM
all sources including third party, and yes pathfinder is accepted. this is really just a way to show him all of the options available.

Pluto!
2015-06-01, 06:17 PM
I've refluffed Incarnum to be about tattoos.

Envisioning essentia and chakra binding as moving ink just seemed more natural than fluffing it as floaty blue soul gunk that turns into silly jewelry.

Nihilarian
2015-06-01, 06:19 PM
There's an optional rule, I believe in complete arcane, that let's you use your own body for your spellbook. I remember looking towards using that, along with the Geometer class so that all my spells would be 1 "page".

Since PF is available, how about the tattooed sorcerer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/tattooed-sorcerer)

j_spencer93
2015-06-01, 06:34 PM
Thank you, i like those

ShurikVch
2015-06-01, 07:02 PM
Firstly, there are Living Tattoos in Ravenloft (Denizens of Dread). They are, in fact, Constructs, and have some use both in and out of combat

Mark of Death spell from Book of Eldritch Might give you skull tattoo and immunity to [death] effect hour/level

How about the Spellstitched template?

Also, if we using Undead, spell line "Symbol of ..." may be permanencied... :smallwink:

j_spencer93
2015-06-01, 07:20 PM
all of those sound neat, will look those up.

The Viscount
2015-06-02, 10:23 AM
Dragonmarks from the Eberron books aren't technically tattoos, but they definitely look like them, and you could easily refluff them as such. There are a lot of feats and a few classes revolving around or requiring them as prerequisites, like Black Dog or Heir of Syberis.

BWR
2015-06-02, 11:24 AM
PF's "Inner Sea Magic" has some stuff, and you could probably refluff its Cyphermage to work as a tattoo-focused character.

AEG's "Secrets of the Dragon" and "Way of the Samurai" have a few more tattoos for the Tattooed Monk, and the 2d0 "Rokugan" campaign setting has the Inkyo, a monk variant which is allowed to choose Tattood Monk tattoos as its bonus feats.

JeenLeen
2015-06-02, 01:37 PM
There's a PrC called Tattooed Monk or something like that, a monk class that gains powers based on tattoos you select as you level.
Not a great class, and based off monk (sub-par class), and not magic-user like most tattoo stuff, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

That might not be the official name, but it gives the idea. I think it's in Complete Warrior or Complete Adventurer.

EDIT: I see this was in the OP. I thought i had checked, but, well, oops.

ShurikVch
2015-06-02, 02:16 PM
Another feats:
Mark of Hleid
Binding Brand
Evil Brand
Brand of the Nine Hells
Mark of Avernus
Mark of Dis
Mark of Minauros
Mark of Phlegethos
Mark of Stygia
Mark of Malbolge
Mark of Maladomini
Mark of Cania
Mark of Nessus
Skincaster (Dr#359)

Bonded Vestiges Signs:
Aym, Queen Avarice - star-shaped brand on the palm of your left hand or on your forehead
Ashardalon, Pyre of the Unborn - patch of skin over your heart is marked by a deep-hued crimson sigil of a curled red dragon

Sepia Snake Sigil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sepiaSnakeSigil.htm): "written work" can be tattoo?

Runescarred Berserker PrC - change scars to tattoos?

Spellhoarding dragon template - "Any spell the dragon learns take physical form on it's body as a rune or arcane symbol scribed upon one of it's scales."

Magic-Infused Creature (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/al/20041222a) template:
sudden appearance of tattoos linked thematically to the creature in some way (such as an orc skull with an arrow through it on a ranger whose favored enemy is orcs)

Hidecarved Dragon PrC

Unholy Abomination PrC - "Unholy symbols appear in the ridges and whorls of it's hide..."

JeenLeen
2015-06-02, 02:20 PM
Spellhoarding dragon template - "Any spell the dragon learns take physical form on it's body as a rune or arcane symbol scribed upon one of it's scales."
"

That reminds me: spell-stitched template from Libris Mortis. My memory's imperfect as before, but I think you can be a crafted undead with spells stitched into your skin (not technically tattoos, but close).

A spell-stitched necropolitan spellhoarding dragon could be a neat concept, if those templates stack. :smallbiggrin:

Necroticplague
2015-06-02, 02:41 PM
That reminds me: spell-stitched template from Libris Mortis. My memory's imperfect as before, but I think you can be a crafted undead with spells stitched into your skin (not technically tattoos, but close).

A spell-stitched necropolitan spellhoarding dragon could be a neat concept, if those templates stack. :smallbiggrin:

Necropolitan applies to humanoids, and turns them undead. Spellhoarding only can be applied to true dragons. So no, those templates don't stack.

atemu1234
2015-06-02, 03:22 PM

Though LA is a question.