View Full Version : WoD Baali as PCs....

Bloodtomb
2015-06-01, 04:40 PM
Is it possible to play as a Baali character and is it possible to make them more complex rather than 2-dimensional villains? Especially since there's a entire gameline based on playing as Demons (Demon: The Fallen) so why not Baali? Well especially since I heard somewhere they have the power to stave off Gehenna which why not the Baali PC be exactly this? Or basically is it possible to play a Baali character the same way if one plays a D:tF character?

Of course though one of the major themes I can see potential with playing as Baali (perhaps the same way as Demon) is rebellion against the oppressive Christian God or something like that or if you have satanists (http://thesatanictemple.com/?page_id=15) running a VtM game perhaps.

Anonymouswizard
2015-06-01, 05:42 PM
The Baali don't do much with the Elohim, their demons are more like eldritch abominations.

If you were going to do it I'd lean more towards Belial's Brood from Requiem (their book is the one I desperately want), who at fast look like 'the Sabbat on the best drug ever' but in reality give a way for vampires to worship/idolise/pursue monsterhood and chaos in an ordered faction. Their older members can be very philosophical, and they seem like a good fit for the Baali.

I'd personally pick a Follower of Set because I prefer Serpentis/snake Protean over Daimonion, but a Baali has lots of potential the Settites don't.

comicshorse
2015-06-01, 05:53 PM
I'd personally pick a Follower of Set because I prefer Serpentis/snake Protean over Daimonion, but a Baali has lots of potential the Settites don't.

Not to mention every Clan doesn't want to kill Setites on sight

JeenLeen
2015-06-02, 10:58 AM
Whichever splatbook for Dark Ages (or Middle Ages, whichever title is used) had the Baali in it added some three-dimensionality to them.

I forget whether I was reading the Baali clanbook, the Road of Sin book, or the Low Clans book, and to be honest I may have blended the clanbook and Road book together in my mind if they both exist. But I think one of them had some detail on the Baali and different aspects of them that was more than you'd see in a core rulebook.

Following Anonymouswizard, you could also reflavor (or add flavor) by incorporating some of the Road of Sin aspects into the Baali (if not already there.) In the Middle/Dark Ages, the Road of Humanity that is followed by most Camarilla vampires was not the dominant mode of controlling the Beast. Acceptable paths (even among those that would form the Camarilla) included things like the Road of Kings (maintain order internally & externally through social structure), Road of Heaven (control the Beast through piety), and Road of Sin (control the Beast by over-satiating it by indulgence).

---

In a more general sense, I recommend talking with your DM and the other players to make sure that whatever Baali character you want fits in with the game and that the players are okay with whatever themes you want to explore. And, on a practical level, check to make sure you won't be killed on-sight by other vamps and/or work out what you need to do to keep that from happening. I recommend posing as another clan, if not to your coterie, at least openly in court.

From what I can tell from what I've read of the Baali and the Demon core book, there's really no relation between the two*, and most Demon-demons would probably want Baali dead about as much as other vampires would. Whether Baali for vamps, Nephandi for mages, or Earthbound for demons, each PC 'race' has its evil faction that most anyone would want dead/destroyed.

*well, one thing I read about the Baali hinted that it might be they sacrifice to demons and such so that the demons are held imprisoned, or at least a faction of them do these horrible things to keep even more horrible Things from coming to reality. But I think it's generally held that... whatever it was when Ravnos woke up and the Technocracy supertech-nuked him & the underworld... was what weakened the prison of the demons and let them escape, but that's one sort of 'noble' theory behind the Baali, or at least a branch of them (that probably no longer exist in modern nights anyhow).