PDA

View Full Version : Celia's Talisman [Spoiler]

TorJin
2007-04-23, 08:50 AM
Now, concerning Celia's Talisman...it is lying unprotected on the ground near Roy's body. Also, we know there are lots of dragon chunks falling down too, and they should be hitting the ground at some point soon here, not to mention hitting Roy's body and the Talisman. What are the odds that one of the dragon chunks hits the Talisman, breaks it, summons Celia, who then sees Roy dead and proceeds to....well, do something?

I'm not quite sure what the point of her appearing NOW would serve, but I'm still curious as to if it's a possibility to introduce Celia to the battle now. Perhaps she'll join the Order in their quest to bring Roy back, once Xykon is either defeated or Azure City falls?

I would have used that nifty spoiler box thing for all that, but I'm not sure how to do it.

jindra34
2007-04-23, 09:03 AM
Too hard to break for that... sry

Hinton
2007-04-23, 09:51 AM
What happens if someone else finds it and just walks off with it? Or, perhaps even better, what if Belkar finds it and decides to try and use it?

Jaysyn
2007-04-23, 10:30 AM
You'd have one very pissed off Slyph.

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 10:56 AM
I think the talisman's a dud. If it's not gonna work for Roy when he needs it, it's not gonna work for anyone.

the_tick_rules
2007-04-23, 02:18 PM
yeah what was that thing adamantine?

Gitman00
2007-04-23, 02:42 PM
@OP: To spoiler your text, just do this: <spoiler>Your text</spoiler> but use [] instead of <>. However, you don't have to do it with this one since the topic has [spoiler] in it.

Anyway, this puts an interesting spin on something that had occurred to me earlier. I was thinking, in a metafiction manner, that Celia and Roy had hit it off far too well, far too quickly. In fiction, that's death for a relationship, sometimes literally. Healthy relationships with minimal problems don't make for good storytelling, because they lack tension. That's why Haley's crush on Elan went on so long before it was resolved. It's also why very little has been said of Roy and Celia's relationship until now.

My prediction (although I didn't have an active membership at the time and thus never posted it) was that Celia would get murdered and Roy would swear vengeance on his lost love's killer. Now, it seems the opposite might happen. I could definitely see Celia joining the OotS for a while, if not for another metafiction (well, metagaming actually) problem: she's going to law school. This probably means she's taking levels in an NPC class, so she might not fit in too well with a group of high-level adventurers. Not an insurmountable problem, though, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

jindra34
2007-04-23, 02:47 PM
@OP: To spoiler your text, just do this: <spoiler>Your text</spoiler> but use [] instead of <>. However, you don't have to do it with this one since the topic has [spoiler] in it.

Anyway, this puts an interesting spin on something that had occurred to me earlier. I was thinking, in a metafiction manner, that Celia and Roy had hit it off far too well, far too quickly. In fiction, that's death for a relationship, sometimes literally. Healthy relationships with minimal problems don't make for good storytelling, because they lack tension. That's why Haley's crush on Elan went on so long before it was resolved. It's also why very little has been said of Roy and Celia's relationship until now.

My prediction (although I didn't have an active membership at the time and thus never posted it) was that Celia would get murdered and Roy would swear vengeance on his lost love's killer. Now, it seems the opposite might happen. I could definitely see Celia joining the OotS for a while, if not for another metafiction (well, metagaming actually) problem: she's going to law school. This probably mean's she's taking levels in an NPC class, so she might not fit in too well with a group of high-level adventurers. Not an insurmountable problem, though, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Ahh... but she does have some levels of some monster kind plus a likely level adjustment...

Bunch of Grapes
2007-04-23, 02:56 PM
Just as long as Celia doesn't go all Juliet over Romeo, err, Roy. That greatsword would be a pain to sheathe happily.

"Oh happy dagger, here is thy sheathe!!" William Shakespeare -- Romeo and Juliet

Brickman
2007-04-23, 04:11 PM
I think you guys are too trained by the lapses in reality that occur in game rules, but the fact that you cannot break open a solid, presumably metal object with your bare hands in under three seconds is neither an indication that you are weak nor an indication that it is strong. People invented tools because their hands weren't that strong by themselves. I bet that Celia, when making it, intended that it be strong enough that every blow or fall he takes doesn't risk breaking it (since she doesn't want it opened unless necessary), but fully expected that in the situation where he needed her help there would be the opportunity to, say, bash it against a rock, which is far more effective than trying to rip it in half. If it was that brittle it would've broken by accident by now.

Sir_Ophiuchus
2007-04-23, 04:41 PM
Slain by a natural 1 on a Strength check ... how embarrassing.

Ultimatum479
2007-04-23, 05:14 PM
And this is why Xykon told Roy to work on his build optimization. He should've taken a page out of Belkar's book and multiclassed Barbarian for a level. A Rage could've saved his life there.

328manga
2007-04-23, 05:21 PM
Personnaly, I think it's going to break when he hit the ground! Then, Maybe Celia will come, do..... Something, like maybe get Durkon to ressurect Roy, or maybe she's taken a few levels in cleric.... it all depends on what happens next....

Spleen
2007-04-23, 06:12 PM
Too hard to break for that... sry

Harder to break than a Death Knight?

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 06:14 PM

The death knight got hit by an entire head. The dragon's body looks like it got reduced to tiny pieces.

jindra34
2007-04-23, 06:14 PM

an object of its weight would only take like 2d6 damage for a fall of like 200 feet sry terminal velocity limits damage...

Spleen
2007-04-23, 06:19 PM
The death knight got hit by an entire head. The dragon's body looks like it got reduced to tiny pieces.

Hmm... maybe. I saw some sizable chunks in there. Also, remember that this thing is supposed to be breakable by a decent blow; I'd think dragon flanks falling at terminal velocity would be a pretty significant force.

an object of its weight would only take like 2d6 damage for a fall of like 200 feet sry terminal velocity limits damage...

We're talking about falling dragon chunks here, we already saw that the talisman survived its fall fine.

hrak
2007-04-23, 06:26 PM
celia could get some one to do true resurection