PDA

View Full Version : Necromantic timeline

Shongesabbe
2015-06-01, 06:57 PM
This is for the ongoing game for if we don't meet that week so that we can keep the game rolling using play by post.

So first here are a couple of syntax things for the forum

First this is called a spoiler obviously to make one you type content of the spoiler[/spoiler*] without the * in there. I just have to put them there to allow you to see the right type.

Second this is a roll
1d20

If you can't tell I've never really been able to get the rolls to work tom will probably laugh at me. Tom should be able to show you how to do it better.

Last thing new things
Ok so I have found a couple of new sub-systems that I like and wanted to get your opinion on them before I introduced them into the game world since the campaign is already in progress. So the first is called background skills. This system breaks the skills into two parts adventuring skills and background skills as well as introduces two new skills called lore and artistry. It also gives you 2 free skill points per hit dice in a player class ie not an npc class that can only be used on background skills you can place normal skill ranks into background skills as normal but these free skill points can only be used for background skills.
Here is the break down
Adventuring skillsAcrobatics, Bluff, Climb, Diplomacy. Disable Device. Disguise, Escape Artist, Fly, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (planes), Knowledge (religion), Perception,
Ride, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Stealth, Survival, Swim, Use Magic Device
Background skillsAppraise, Craft, Handle Animal, Knowledge (engineering), Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (nobility), Linguistics, Perform, Profession, Sleight of Hand, lore, artistry
Lore[spoiler]lore is a very specific knowledge skill like elvish history or architecture it is specific to reflect an interest that your character has or knowledge that is inherent to them. A cleric for instance could have lore religion(their religion) reflecting their greater knowledge of their specific religion. Because of how specific this skill has to be the DC for any checks will be lower reflecting the more focused knowledge.
ArtistryArtistry is for any skills that are not easily defined as a craft or preform check. Like play writing. It's just a skill that picks up anything that isn't covered in craft or preform.

The other system I found is actually two systems that have been altered slightly to fit with each other.
So the first is a wound and vigor system. Your normal hit points are converted into vigor points. Vigor represents your agility to dodge attacks or move with blows making them less damaging. Because even though a 20th level fighter has like 200 hp doesn't mean that a dagger that deals 1d4 damage can't kill him if used to slice open his neck. That 20th level fighter would have 200 vigor points instead.
Next you get a number of wound points equal to your constitution. When you run out of vigor points any excess damage after or above that does wound point damage.
When you score a critical hit you deal vigor damage as normal (meaning you deal damage then multiply that damage by your critical modifier just like normal) but you also deal an amount of wound point damage equal to your critical modifier. So that dagger would deal 2 wound damage on a critical hit meaning that the 20th level fighter couldn't just sit there and laught at the guy with the knife for like 10 rounds.

Here is where I'm not sure about. We have two options first negative and positive energy deal damage or healing as normal to vigor as well as dealing damage or healing to wound points equal to the number of dice rolled or in the case of spells that don't roll dice like heal would go off of caster level. So caster level 5 would do 5 wound point damage or healing.
Second option is that you have to pick what it deals either vigor or wound point. Chosen at the time of casting.

For undead it will work a little differently.
Unintelligent undead will only have wound points. Because let's face it vigor is your agility to dodge or move with a blow and a zombie isn't going to have enough sense to do that so it doesn't make sense to give them vigor. So their hit points will be wound points and will represent actual physical damage to their bodies.
Intelligent undead on the other hand will have vigor because a vampire does have since to move out of the way of a blow. Because even if it's not going to kill them it's still not fun getting stabbed with a sword. Their hp will be their vigor points their wound points will be their charisma as that is where their hp and fort saves come from when their undead.

The last system just makes sense and is already sort of being implemented in the game as is. It's a wound threshold system. So you take your wound points and divide them by 4 rounding to the nearest whole number. This is your wound threshold.

When you have taken this much wound point damage but not enough to reach it again you take a -1 to all attack, damage, ability checks, skill rolls, and saving throws.
When you reach it again but not enough to reach it 3 times the negative increases to -2 to all the same rolls.
When you reach it 3 times but not 4 times the negative increases to -3 to all the same rolls.
When you reach it 4 times it increases to -4 to all the same rolls.

Now you may have relised that if you take 4/4 your wound point total your at 0 wound points so here is what we are doing that just makes sense when you are at 0 wound points to a total of your negative constitution modifier you are disabled and take the additional penalties for wound threshold. But you can still act as disabled at a larger range of wound point damage so instead of it only being at exactly 0. After you get out of that range you are going to have to make a fort save equal to 20+2x (your current negative wound point total)
You are dead when you get to a number of negative wound points equal to you con or as modified by feats or abilities.

Here is an example of this to help clear it up. Bob has 20 hp and a 8 con so he has 20 vigor points and 8 wound points. Because of his negative con mod he can remain disabled between 1 and 0 wound points. So he gets hit for 15 points of damage on a non critical hit. He now only has 5 vigor and 8 wound points left.
Next he gets hit for 6 points of damage. He only has 5 vigor so he takes 5 vigor damage and 1 wound point damage bringing him to 0 vigor and 7 wound points.
He hasn't reached his wound threshold of 2 yet so he takes no penalties.
Now he takes 1 point of damage bring his wound points to 6 meaning that now he takes the -1 penalties.
Takes 2 more points bringing his wound points to 4 now he takes -2
2 more points and he has 2 left and takes -3
He takes 1 point and is now disabled and still takes -3
1 more point and he is at 0 and takes -4
1 more point and he now has to make a fort save equal to 20+2 to remain conscious.
He takes 8 points of damage putting him at -8 or more and dies

Another exampleBill has 20 hp and 20 con so he has 20 vigor and 20 wound points.
He takes 16 points of damage from a critical that is a 2x crit mod so he is at 4 vigor points and 18 wound points.
His wound threshold is 5 so he's fine.
Now he takes 6 points of damage from a critical from the same weapon so he takes his remaining 4 vigor points in damage leaving 2 more that will go to his wound points in addition to the 2 points that are already going to his wound points because of the critical. So he is at 14 wound points and is now taking the -1 penalty.
He then takes 16 points of damage putting him to -2 wound points.
He is now disabled and taking the -4.
He can remain disabled until he reaches -5 wound points as that is his con mod.
He takes 6 points of damage and is now at -6 and needs to make a fort save dc 20+4 to remain concious.
He takes 20 points of damage and is dead.

I would like your input on the new sub systems and if you would like to have them in the game. You can put your thoughts into a spoiler and I'll read them you all can read them as well so you can discus it between your selves.

So what do you think?

Shongesabbe
2015-06-02, 12:28 AM
Where we left off...
JoshYou are standing in front of an empty stone pedestal that once had a metal statue of a skeleton. You have cast light on your shield. The light only travels half as far as it should and buts up against jet blackness. You can't see any of the skeletons but you can here the sound of bones clattering against the stone floor all around you.

NathanYou are standing in the corner of the room. You see something that your not accustomed to... Darkness. It's twisting and weaving around like tendrils of dark mist making it nearly impossible to see anything past 5ft in front of you. You hear the sounds of bones running and clattering on the stone floor all over as well as feel the dark shapes brushing against you. As they slide over you they feel like cold bones and claws sending shivers down your spine.

Tom Just so you know you won't actually pop back in until you post no mater how many thing happen until. I will change your intrence if something happenstance changes what you will see.
As you popback into existence you see a faint flach of light followed by complete darkness so deep that if feels like a physical weight pressing down on you from all sides. You hear the sound of bone striking stone all around you. You feel what seems to be claws and bones touching you lightly all over your back and tail.

Mark Just so you know you won't actually pop back in until you post no mater how many thing happen until. I will change your intrence if something happenstance changes what you will see.
You appear and see nothing. You can't even see your hand when you place it in front of your face. The mark on your shield isn't even visible from that you know that the darkness is unnatural. You hear the sounds of bones clattering against stone all around you. You feel claws sliding over your skin as well as something yanking at your clothing.

What do you do?

Nathan-the-Anon
2015-06-03, 04:32 PM
You are standing in the corner of the room. You see something that your not accustomed to... Darkness. It's twisting and weaving around like tendrils of dark mist making it nearly impossible to see anything past 5ft in front of you. You hear the sounds of bones running and clattering on the stone floor all over as well as feel the dark shapes brushing against you. As they slide over you they feel like cold bones and claws sending shivers down your spine.

What do you do?

I'll use my prehensile tail to feel around in the darkness behind me as I slowly walk toward the doorway from memory, rapier in hand. (Can I not see anything at all, even with fiendish sight taken twice for perfect sight even in deeper darkness? That would be scary!)

ArMaethor
2015-06-03, 06:23 PM
Where we left off...
JoshYou are standing in front of an empty stone pedestal that once had a metal statue of a skeleton. You have cast light on your shield. The light only travels half as far as it should and buts up against jet blackness. You can't see any of the skeletons but you can here the sound of bones clattering against the stone floor all around you.

What do you do?

I very carefully try to make my way back to the rest of the party, using my memory to make sure I'm going in the correct direction. I also keep my mace and shield ready just in case.

Shongesabbe
2015-06-04, 12:33 AM
NathanAs you make your way back toward the door you see a faint light from up ahead and another one moving its way slowly toward the other light from off to your left. At that time you feel something grab at you
roll vs flatfoot cmd [roll0]
If grab successful You feel claws grasp your chain armor and throw you away from the lights deeper into the room. (Roll reflex to see if you can keep your feet)
If grab not successful You feel claws grasp at your armor but can't seem to find purchase as they slide off and disappear you look left and see a fading flash of a skeleton vanishing back into the twisting darkness. (Roll attack of opportunity)

and yes you can't see anything because it's not just darkness there is something other then darkness that's blocking your sight that's why you see the twisting shapes.

Josh As you start to work your way across the room you start feeling uneasy. Suddenly in front of you a skeleton materializes seemingly out of thin air running full bore right for you. (Roll attack of opportunity)
Roll vs cmd [roll1]
If successful The skeleton slams into you knocking you back. You feel your self strike the pedestal and you tumble over it. You land in a heap on the far side of the pedestal. Take [roll2] damage as you land.

If not successful You quickly bring up your shield you feel the claws of the skeleton slide across your shield and your shield shudders as the skeleton slams into it. You bring your shield down in time to see the skeleton scramble backward on its back then reach out and touch the shadows and seems to be drawn or pulled into them. (roll attack of opportunity if you can do it more then once per round)
FYI I'm assuming that be rest of party you ment the door

What are your guys thoughts on the new systems?

ArMaethor
2015-06-05, 04:21 PM
As you start to work your way across the room you start feeling uneasy. Suddenly in front of you a skeleton materializes seemingly out of thin air running full bore right for you. (Roll attack of opportunity) The skeleton slams into you knocking you back. You feel your self strike the pedestal and you tumble over it. You land in a heap on the far side of the pedestal. Take 6 damage as you land.

What are your guys thoughts on the new systems?

Rolled a 5+3 for an 8 on my attack of opportunity, and the skeleton knocks me off my feet. I take 6 damage.

The new systems seem like they would make the battles last a lot longer than normal.

TheSilentChoice
2015-06-12, 12:24 PM
I snap back into existence to find myself in complete darkness. The feeling of..... Things crawling and bumping was highly unnerving, so his tail was twitching about nervously. Not knowing what was going on, he called out, the nervousness clear in his tone "Hey... Guys? Anybody else here? If you are dead. Say nothing"

Shongesabbe
2015-06-12, 07:24 PM
so Nathan has lost his character sheet so will not be posting for a wile.

Josh You land and since you haven't stated that you do anything in your post and haven't edited it then I'm assuming your not going to do anything so yea...
roll vs cmd -4 [roll0]
If sucessful A skeleton jumps out of the shadows and grabs you and throws you across the room
If not sucessful A skeleton jumps out and Reyes to grab at you but can't get a grip so jumps back into the shadows. Roll attack of opportunity at a -4

Tom As you speak your voice sounds strange like its getting swallowed by the darkness. You hear the sounds of bones get louder then something hits you from behind causing you to stumble forward you crash into something that you can't see. You feel something grab onto your bandolier and hold you preventing you from falling.

ArMaethor
2015-06-21, 03:51 PM
I'm guessing I need to state what I'm doing on my turn when I reply to your DM posts.

I get thrown across the room. After landing I get back on my feet and ready my weapon and shield.

Shongesabbe
2015-06-22, 02:33 PM
Josh edited GM postYou get up to your feet and see another skeleton come out of the shadows off to your left charging you just like the last one did. (Roll attack of opportunity)
Roll vs cmd[roll0]
If sucessfulThe skeleton slams into you knocking you back and once more into your back.

If not sucessfulYou raise your shield and feel the skeleton slide off and slam into it knocking it onto its back. (Roll attacks of opportunity if you can) The skeleton skittles back into the shadows once it touches the shadows they seem to draw it in pulling it away.

ArMaethor
2015-06-24, 12:22 PM
For my attack of opportunity, rolled 17+3 for a total of 20.

If it hits 5 damage is dealt.

I get knocked down again, and get up on my knee with my shield covering my body so I can see over it. My weapon is also at the ready.