PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Unconventional Ubermount Build Advice?

Alex12
2015-06-01, 08:18 PM
So a friend and I are considering an idea in the event that the characters in the campaign we're currently playing in kick the bucket.
Specifically, we're considering having one of us play the horse and the other play the rider.

We've got Ponyfinder (which IMO works quite well) which has a trait that lets a pony count as a mount for purposes of feats & class features and benefit from those abilities. We've also got Path of War and Ultimate Psionics, on top of the usual PF stuff.
The campaign is partial gestalt, with a 2 level offset (so my current character is an Oracle 5//Sorcerer 3), and cold environments feature heavily.

I'd swear I've seen an ability that lets a rider divert incoming attacks to hit his mount, rather than have them hit him, but the closest I can find is the Betrayal feat Ally Shield (which still looks good, but we were hoping for something that worked a little more often)

I'd like to try for some sort of ubercharger/tank who happens to have a paladin riding him, while the actual paladin is built more for utility. Ideally, we'd have a bunch of Teamwork feats that in this specific context are a little bit overpowered (Looking at you, Escape Route (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/escape-route-combat-teamwork)). I was thinking Aegis//Inquisitor for the mount for teamwork feats and durability, with Paladin//something else for the rider.
Any advice the Playground can give would be appreciated.

Snowbluff
2015-06-01, 10:52 PM
Picking up Saddle Surge (Paladin Spell) would be good.

I feel that archery is generally better than lances in mounted combat in PF. Too many of the good spells

Unicorns are Practiced Horn Magic are really strong.www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=205611 I love pony finder.

You should get pounce or Pummeling Charge, to maximize your charging potential. Martial Charge would probably be best.

OH! There is a feat or something that lets you counted as mounted with a lance while charging. Do that.

Alex12
2015-06-02, 09:13 PM
Some more details we've hashed out. Partial gestalt gives us some very neat little tricks. The rider is still considering what his non-paladin half will be. OTOH, I've pretty much settled on Warlord//Rogue with an emphasis on flanking. Specifically (ab)using Golden Commander Stance to flank with my rider (SNEAK ATTACK!) and using Escape Route to never have to worry about AoO from movement. Martial Charge will help here, but Golden Commander Stance specifies that they must be adjacent, which means reach weapons aren't really an option.

Picking up Saddle Surge (Paladin Spell) would be good.
Awesome. That's definitely something I'll point the rider toward.

I feel that archery is generally better than lances in mounted combat in PF. Too many of the good spells
I'm not sure we're going for either so far. Right now, we're thinking a flanking/charging build

Unicorns are Practiced Horn Magic are really strong.www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=205611 I love pony finder.

You should get pounce or Pummeling Charge, to maximize your charging potential. Martial Charge would probably be best.
Martial Charge looks real useful. And I've seen the devastation a high-int Horn Magic Unicorn can do- Dervish Defender unicorn with 18 int is a scary thing, and when I played a unicorn bard, I handily beat the party bloodrager in a friendly spar with it. But I wasn't planning on going that route

OH! There is a feat or something that lets you counted as mounted with a lance while charging. Do that.
Do you mean the unicorn feat at the end of like a 4-feat chain that lets you use your horn as a lance for mounted charges?

Snowbluff
2015-06-02, 09:43 PM
Do you mean the unicorn feat at the end of like a 4-feat chain that lets you use your horn as a lance for mounted charges?

Saddle Rack, page 107.

Also, that feat only requires a gore attack. I am sure that there is a better source of a gore attack.

Molosse
2015-06-03, 08:45 AM
Ideally, we'd have a bunch of Teamwork feats that in this specific context are a little bit overpowered (Looking at you, Escape Route (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/escape-route-combat-teamwork)). I was thinking Aegis//Inquisitor for the mount for teamwork feats and durability, with Paladin//something else for the rider.
Any advice the Playground can give would be appreciated.

The Horsemasters Saddle grants the mount any teamwork feat's the rider owns, may be helpful for you.