PDA

View Full Version : Lightning-Based Prestige Classes

MightBeABook
2015-06-01, 08:32 PM
So, I was wondering if anyone knows of any lightning-based, combat-focused PrC's, preferably not restricted to Martial Adepts. I'm working on a holy-warrior type character with a lightning theme, and would like a flavorful PrC to match. Preferably official 3.5 material, but PF or well-written homebrew would be great as well. If nothing in that niche really exists, does anyone have suggestions for a class which I might be able to adapt to fit? I'm not sure I can think of any good candidates...

ngilop
2015-06-01, 08:43 PM
I have the perfect homenbrewed PRC for you man!!!!

I re did the shinning blade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17636136&postcount=56)

check it out :)

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-01, 08:47 PM
Stormlord is a divine-casting PrC with lots of lightningy stuff. They're in complete divine.

dextercorvia
2015-06-01, 08:53 PM
It's a stretch, but Hexer (MotW) requires you to be able to cast Divine Lightning Bolt to enter, and is Full BAB, Full Casting.

Geddy2112
2015-06-01, 08:55 PM
Master of storms is from pathfinder, but it is more focused on spellcasters http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/i-m/master-of-storms

The Vagabond
2015-06-01, 09:11 PM
First thing that comes to mind is Stormsinger, from frostborn- You sing lightning into exsistance, and has storm flavor.

Nihilarian
2015-06-01, 09:13 PM
The Storm Disciple from Complete Psionic probably isn't worth it.

Troacctid
2015-06-01, 11:13 PM
Stormcaster is great for storm-based blasting. It boosts your caster level and adds some pretty nasty debuffs to your electricity and sonic spells.

FocusWolf413
2015-06-02, 12:54 AM
You should be a Shining Blade of Heinousonius. It's absolutely the greatest PrC that deals with lightning.

Edit: I was going to fix that typo, but it's just so fitting.

mabriss lethe
2015-06-02, 01:21 AM
Electrokineticist? (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e)

Uncle Pine
2015-06-02, 04:02 AM
I could swear I had seen an adaptation sidebar in Tome of Battle telling you how to switch Desert Wind maneuvers from fire to another type of energy damage. If I manage to find it, one or two dips into Swordsage could add a lot of lightning-based flashing moves to your character.

torrasque666
2015-06-02, 04:12 AM
I could swear I had seen an adaptation sidebar in Tome of Battle telling you how to switch Desert Wind maneuvers from fire to another type of energy damage. If I manage to find it, one or two dips into Swordsage could add a lot of lightning-based flashing moves to your character.
Nope, just a commonly bandied about houserule. Ah, the glory of having a searchable PDF copy.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-02, 04:22 AM
Nope, just a commonly bandied about houserule. Ah, the glory of having a searchable PDF copy.

Ops. My bad then.

nedz
2015-06-02, 05:27 AM
Stormlord (Complete Divine p65)
Stormsinger (Frostburn p70)
Elemental Savant
Stormcaster — 9/10 casting

Use the Energy Substitution feat with another element based PrC

Some that don't require PrCs

DFA
Sorcerer with Draconic Heritage(Bronze or Blue) and Draconic Breath — Chose lightning spells and breath lightning
Cleric with suitable domains will do this

Red Fel
2015-06-02, 09:06 AM
I'm going to offer a slightly different direction for you - have you considered Dragonmarks? The Mark of Storms, available to Half-Elves, grants an increasing list of abilities. Most are wind-oriented, but several - including Control Weather (Greater Mark), Electric Jolt (Prodigy), Storm Touch (Visionary), Storm Tower (Visionary), and Storm of Vengeance (Siberys) are electric.

And there are classes for them. Three, in fact. Storm Sentry: The PrC exclusive to the Mark of Storms. Most of its powers involve your Gust of Wind ability, but one allows you (if memory serves) to temporarily make your weapon a Shocking weapon. I happen to find it a very valuable class for melees, given the versatility it gives your Gust of Wind ability, but as mentioned, it's more air than electric. Dragonmark Heir: The generic Dragonmark PrC. It gives you your Lesser and Greater Dragonmarks for free, and grants an additional daily use of your Greater mark - meaning an extra Control Weather. Heir of Siberys: This is how you get the Mark of Siberys. Unfortunately, it prevents you from taking any other Dragonmarks. Fortunately, it gives you 2/day Storm of Vengeance, which is absolutely brutal.
I should mention that it is disgustingly easy to over-optimize the CL on Dragonmark SLAs, but Storm of Vengeance really doesn't require a lot of optimization, and its effects are fairly lethal. Lots of damage from multiple sources, every round for nine rounds (the first one doesn't count), much of it with no save. Also, lightning. Lots of lightning.

I've used these classes myself, building a Stormlord around the Mark of Storms (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?363006-Building-a-Tempest), with a focus on the Control Wind SLA. The end result, with a minimal level of optimization, is the ability to create a tornado with 720 foot radius and height that lasts for 3 hours, and anything inside must make a DC 16 + Cha Fort save every round or be knocked around like a ping-pong ball.

Dragonmarks are awesome.