PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Kingdoms of Kalamar - 5e Conversion (WIP)

arcaneshield
2015-06-01, 11:53 PM
WHAT ARE THE KINGDOMS OF KALAMAR? TELLENE? THE SOVEREIGN LANDS?

Tellene is a planet similar to Earth, but with a warmer climate. Many different races of beings populate Tellene, including humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, and many types of monsters and other humanoids.

The lands of Tellene defined in the Kingdoms of Kalamar campaign setting sourcebook are often referred to as the Sovereign Lands, and include the kingdoms of Brandobia, the Kalamaran Empire, the cities and city-states of Reanaaria Bay, the Isle of Svimohzia, the Wild Lands and the Young Kingdoms.

The Kingdoms of Kalamar campaign setting is named after the great Kalamaran Empire, which once covered much of Tellene. But time weighs heavily upon all, and the empire’s reach is not what it once was. Its provinces declare independence, hobgoblin kingdoms thrive and foreign empires expand, while the monsters of the land grow stronger than ever. Still, its influence is felt almost everywhere in Tellene.

What's So Good about the Setting?

It's written by historians and the map was designed by an actual cartographer. The draw to the setting is the plausibility of it and the richness of the setting. Its also interesting in that its evocative of the Roman empire than your typical medieval fantasy setting. It also hobgoblins as a featured race, which are beyond awesome in my humble opinion.

So What Are You Converting Exactly?

The intent is to start with races, add some class archetypes, and then get to backgrounds and feats.

CHANGELOG:

June 1, 2015 - Added elf and dwarf subraces, and Half-Hobgoblin race.
June 2, 2015 - Added halfling subrace.

Races

Dwarf
New Subrace:

Stone Dwarves: These subterranean dwarves are rarely encountered by humans at all. They live brutal, demanding lives and have less respect for intangible rewards than their cousins nearer to the surface. They are masterful miners and their race has delved far and deep below the surface of Tellene. They are constantly at war with evil subterranean races, and have adapted well to fighting in tight tunnels.

Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Superior Darkvision: Your darkvision has a radius of 120 feet.
Sunlight Sensitivity: You have disadvantage on attack rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.
Skirmisher: You can use two-weapon fighting even when the one-handed melee weapons you are wielding aren’t light. If you take the Dual Wielder feat, you gain an additional +1 bonus to AC while you are wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand.

Elf
New Subraces:

Grey Elves: Perhaps the rarest of the elves, they live in beautiful cities hidden away from the rest of the world. They are famed for their extensive knowledge, deep wisdom, and powerful magic. On rare occasions, a gray elf is born with black eyes. These strange beings are less intellectual but possess more forceful personalities.

Ability Score Decrease/Increase: Your Dexterity score decreases by 1. Choose intelligence or charisma. You increase this attribute by two.
As High Elf: Otherwise as high elf, except that cantrips use the ability score chosen above.

Wild Elves: Feral cousins of the already rustic wood elves. They are nomadic, living wholly off the hunt and what food they can gather while on the move. Their movement patterns are random, but they always seem to find sufficient food sources.

As Wood Elf: Stats are same as a wood elf. ALTERNATE: Consider gaining +1 strength instead of wisdom and losing Mask of the Wild?

New Race: Half-Hobgoblin

Half-hobgoblins, or 'Sil-Karg' in the hobgoblin tongue, have been around since before written history. They appeared first on the edge of civilization and slowly integrated into it. Humans usually see them as unfortunate victims, creatures unable to fight against their parentage, prone to becoming overcome by their hobgoblin taint and turning to evil. Hobgoblins see them as wayward and a threat to civilization. Neither side welcomes them.

Half Hobgoblin Traits

Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by 2 and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Age: Half-hobgoblins mature a little faster than humans, reaching adulthood around age 15. Once reaching adulthood, however, they age at roughly the same rate as humans.
Alignment: Sil-Karg can represent any alignment. They might follow the lawful tendencies of their hobgoblin parentage or rebel against them. Their human blood introduces a strong sense of individuality.
Size: Half-hobgoblins look like bulkier humans. They range from 5 feet to well over 6 feet tall. Your size is Medium.
Darkvision: Thanks to your hobgoblin blood, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 120 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Relentless Endurance: As half-orc.
Self Reliant: You gain proficiency in the Survival skill.
School of Hard Knocks: You gain advantage on all Constitution saving throws.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Merchant's Tongue (common) and Hobgoblin

Halfling
New Subraces:

Golden Halflings: Also known as amberhairs, Golden Halflings claim to be the original halflings from whom the others are derived. Tradition speaks of the birth of the first halflings, Azimen and Astemia, in a dry wasteland. They watered it with their sweat and nurtured life from the land, turning it into a paradise. Amberhairs are creative and adaptable and seem to always have a smile on their face, no matter the circumstances. They possess a small amount of innate psionic ability.

Ability Score Increase: Your Intelligence score increases by 1.
Innate Spellcasting (Psionics): The Golden Halfling's innate spellcasting ability is Intelligence. They can innately cast Message at will with no components.

Steampunkette
2015-06-02, 12:33 AM
I kind of miss Kingdoms of Kalamar...

I deeply missed Half-Hobgoblins.

Thank you for bringing them back!

arcaneshield
2015-06-02, 12:38 AM
Thanks, to me they always came across as the poor ****-on loners that life just seems to hate them, so they end up being tough as nails. I thought, however, since the racials were all con-based, it would more balance out to have the +2 be dexterity. I also think the advantage for all Con based saves might be overpowered, I'm not sure. Also a bit of a copout stealing a racial from half-orcs but they're quite similar.

I've got more work I'll be doing but this is it for tonight. I'd love some feedback yeah or neah on this.

bastard.zen
2018-03-16, 11:50 PM
Hi, i tried converting the Hobgoblin races for, any comments welcome. Since i am new i cant post the link, but it should be one of the newest.