PDA

View Full Version : Cloth Golem (MITP II)

Vaynor
2007-04-23, 09:25 AM
Cloth Golem
Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 4d10+20 (42)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 30 ft.
AC: 18 (+5 Dex, +3 Natural); touch: 15, flat-footed: 13
BAB/Grapple: +3/+5 (+10 when Static Cling is applicable)
Attacks: slam +5 melee (1d8+2)
Face/Reach: 5 ft./0 ft.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, cloth traits, resistant to bludgeoning damage, magic immunity, malleable, static cling, construct traits
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +1
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 20, Con --, Int --, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: Balance +10, Move Silently +10
Feats: Improved Natural AttackB, Improved InitiativeB
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: 1d6 pairs of normal clothes (roll a d12 for each) (must equal at least 50 pounds, if it does not, add more clothing until it does)
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 5-9 (medium) 10-20 (large)
Level Adjustment: -

The large mass of twisting and convulsing cloth leaps forward at the enemy wizard's command. Everyday clothing is sewn into the being, and colors mingle randomly, as if dancing a maddening dance.

Cloth Golems are golems made from discarded clothing, old towels, rags, and other items. Wizards who cannot afford a better golem use these as bodyguards at lower levels. Creators usually sew in symbols, or use certain colors that match their alignment or profession. For example, a necromancer might used dyed black clothing with a white skull sewn in the front.

Special Qualities:

Construct Traits:

Magic immunity: Cloth golems can completely resist spells that grant Spell Resistance. All spells with the fire descriptor affect the Cloth Golem normally, and set it on fire for 1d6 damage per round until the fire is put out.

Malleable: A cloth golem can change its form to appear as if any cloth object of its size category or lower. This process takes a full round to complete and can be undone as a swift action at any time.

Cloth Traits: Cloth golems gain a +5 bonus to balance and move silently checks because of their light and silent nature.

Resistant to Bludgeoning: The cloth golem resists up to five points of bludgeoning attacks due to its malleable nature.

Static Cling: All electricity spells affect this creature as normal, and also affect it as if it were a slow spell also. A cloth golem receives a +5 bonus to grapple checks against creatures wearing cloth, or with fur.

Construction: Cloth golems are made from random tidbits of clothing, including, gloves, pants, a shirt and/or coat, shoes and some cloth to form into a “head”, you may also use magic clothing for certain parts, when this is done the golem gets all bonuses from these items. A minimum of 50 pounds of clothing is required to construct a cloth golem. A cloth golem costs as much as the clothes used. Creating the golem requires a successful craft check (tailoring) (DC 15). If clothing costing more than 20 gp is used, increase the natural armor of the cloth golem by 1.
The creator must be at least 7th level and able to cast arcane or divine spells, and have the feat Craft Construct. Completing the ritual takes 500 XP and requires the spells animate object and antimagic field.

Catch
2007-04-23, 10:09 AM
Interesting. I like, but it lacks a distinctive feature.

Since it's made of flexible material, how about some sort of grappling attack where the golem wraps itself around the target and constricts? That'd be nifty.

Zeta Kai
2007-04-23, 10:19 AM
This sounds a lot like the common Raggamoffyn from MM2. Even the CR is the same.

Khoran
2007-04-23, 01:57 PM
I believe Raggamoffyns are not intentionally created, however. Also, this dosn't capture and dominate people.

Also, for this: I would say something that make blugeoning less effective against them. Anything /Peircing and Slashing to immunity from Blugeoning Damage. Somehow, when I think of someone hitting a mass of clothing with a hammer, it's just going to shift as it get hit and not be effected.

Vaynor
2007-04-23, 02:51 PM
I believe Raggamoffyns are not intentionally created, however. Also, this dosn't capture and dominate people.

Also, for this: I would say something that make blugeoning less effective against them. Anything /Peircing and Slashing to immunity from Blugeoning Damage. Somehow, when I think of someone hitting a mass of clothing with a hammer, it's just going to shift as it get hit and not be effected.
Hmm, so maybe give them DR 5/everything except bludgeoning? :smalltongue:

EDIT: Oh, and I don't have MM2. Anyways, from the description given, it isn't all that similar except being made out of cloth.

Zagreen
2007-04-23, 03:19 PM
It would be cool if its magic immunity was more interesting, like the way all the traditional golems have a couple of quirky loopholes from certain spells or damage types. I can't really think of any good example spells that would have a special effect on cloth though...

Khoran
2007-04-23, 03:28 PM
Hmm, so maybe give them DR 5/everything except bludgeoning? :smalltongue:

Maybe even DR 10/Peircing Or Slashing, but yeah, that's what I was getting at.

It would be cool if its magic immunity was more interesting, like the way all the traditional golems have a couple of quirky loopholes from certain spells or damage types. I can't really think of any good example spells that would have a special effect on cloth though...
And I can't believe I forgot this one. I would say that, if you don't mind me recomending, that Fire Spells cause a Cloth Golem to burst into flame, doing 1d6 damage until it puts itself out (Which I think is a full round action, don't remember if it provokes an AoO)

Vaynor
2007-04-23, 06:24 PM

Maybe even DR 10/Peircing Or Slashing, but yeah, that's what I was getting at.

And I can't believe I forgot this one. I would say that, if you don't mind me recomending, that Fire Spells cause a Cloth Golem to burst into flame, doing 1d6 damage until it puts itself out (Which I think is a full round action, don't remember if it provokes an AoO)

That's what I was thinking, I'll add the fire thing in.

Oh, and I decided to just give it immunity to Bludgeoning.

Zagreen
2007-04-23, 06:38 PM
How about making electricity damage slow it as a slow spell? (Static cling!)

Khoran
2007-04-23, 06:55 PM

Would it also get pluses to Grappling? :P

Vaynor
2007-04-23, 07:18 PM

Would it also get pluses to Grappling? :P

Oooh, good idea. I'll add that in...

Icewalker
2007-04-23, 09:18 PM
So the +5 static bonus is to grapple checks? You have to include that.

Your format is wrong, it is missing BAB and grp bonus, and possible other stuff. I think you are using 3.0 format. Use Fax's template here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313).

I like the idea though. interesting stuff.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-11, 02:17 PM
Bump. Keep voting, people!

sigurd
2007-05-11, 03:08 PM
How bout an option to hide as piles of fabric? They'd be great for traveling spellcasters if they could fold down into a suitcase :).

Or maybe it can do your laundry. I actually think wizards would appreciate that.

I think that being immune to bludgeoning is too strong for this level of beastie. "Ignores the first 5 points of damage from bludgeoning weapons" would be better imho.

It could probably also be healed by magic spells like 'mend' for 1d4 or some such.

Your Construction requirements would make it possible for a 10th level cleric or 16th level bard to create this construct if they have to cast the animate objects (6th level spell) themselves. That is the spell you meant?

S

Zherog
2007-05-15, 12:11 PM
Comments and such; as with all the others, I haven't read the feedback already given, so I may very well duplicate some stuff.

Hit Dice: 4d10 (44)

This should read 4d10+20. Always include the bonus hit points.

In addition, I compute the average hit point value as 42, not 44. 5.5 (the average value of a d10) X 4 = 22; 22 + 20 = 42. The answer to everything. :)

AC: 18 (+5 Dex, +3 Natural)

You forgot to include touch and flat-footed values. Touch = 15, flat-footed = 13.

Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./ 5 ft.

In 3.5, "face" is a single number. In your case, it's 5 ft.

Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Magic Immunity, Cloth Traits, Low-Light Vision, Darkvision (60 ft.), Immune to Bludgeoning Damage, Static Cling

Rule of Thumb: Anything having to do with senses first; "{Creature type} traits" last; everything else in between, in alphabetical order. Only the first item is capitalized (unless it's a formal noun, of course). Your should look like:

Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, cloth traits, immune to bludgeoning damage, magic immunity, static cling, construct traits

Abilities: Str 14, Dex 20, Con --, Int --, Wis 11, Cha 8

Your Charisma is way to high. Every other golem seems to have a Charisma of 1. I'm guessing you upped the value because they "look nice," being made from clothing. Charisma isn't looks, though; it's force of personality and all that stuff. And, frankly, golems don't have much personality. ;)

Feats: Improved Natural Attack, Improved Initiative

You didn't list skills, which should be above this line.

You don't qualify for Improved Natural Attack (it has a pre-req of BAB +4). But that's a moot issue.

Unintelligent creatures, such as golems, do not get skill ranks or feats. They can, however, have bonus feats. If you really want them to have these feats, that's cool - but you need to tag them with the superscript "B" to mark them as bonus feats.

The large mass of twisting and convulsing cloth leaps forward at the enemy wizard's command. Everyday clothing is sewn into the being, and colors mingle randomly, as if dancing a maddening dance. It slams into you with a jolt, it's creator laughing at your peril.

Don't assume actions on the part of the PCs. This text is intended to describe how the PCs senses would perceive the creature - describe the look, sound, smell, etc. Don't have the PCs attacked.

Construct Traits: Immune to mind influencing effects, poison, disease, and similar effects. Not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, energy drain, or death from massive damage.

You don't need to spell this out in the entry. You can, but you don't need to.

Note that it'll be important for the project as a whole to have consistency with this sort of thing, across all creature types. The best option, in my opinion, is to not list them. There's less chance to get something wrong that way; also, if WotC ever erratas the creature's traits, your monster automatically inherits the errata.

Cloth Traits: Cloth golems gain a +15 to escape artist, balance, move silently, and pick pocket checks because of their light and silent nature.

Skill names are capitalized, and lists should appear in alphabetical order.

These are really high numbers, and some of them just don't make any sense at all to be honest.

Why does it get a bonus to Escape Artist or Sleight of Hand?

Try to stick to values no higher than +8 or so for creatures with a low CR; and make sure the bonus you're granting makes sense. I can sort of see Balance and Move Silently; but I really can't figure out the other two.

Static Cling: All electricity spells affect this creature as normal, and also affect it as if it were a slow spell also. A cloth golem receives a +5 bonus to grapple checks against creatures wearing cloth, or with fur.

Construction: Cloth golems are made from random tidbits of clothing, including, gloves, pants, a shirt and/or coat, shoes and some cloth to form into a “head”, you may also use magic clothing for certain parts, when this is done the golem gets all bonuses from these items. A minimum of 50 pounds of clothing is required to construct a cloth golem. A cloth golem costs as much as the clothes used. Creating the golem requires a successful craft check (tailoring) (DC 15). If clothing costing more than 20 gp is used, increase the natural armor of the cloth golem by 1.
The creator must be at least 7th level and able to cast arcane or divine spells. Completing the ritual takes 500 XP and requires the spell animate object.

You also need to include the Craft Construct feat in the requirements. In addition, golems with "magic immunity" all have antimagic field in their list or crafting requirements.

These are interesting, but I really don't know that I could ever take them seriously. I can't see ever using one in my games - though, certainly, others may very well enjoy their nature and drop them in at every opportunity.

Earendill
2007-05-15, 12:25 PM
Enter the Cloth Golem (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0010.html)

The fall of the Cloth Golem... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0025.html)

Shouldn't it be vulnerable to fire ? Shouldn't water slow his movements (till he dries) ? I mean...its cloth.

DracoDei
2007-05-16, 12:42 AM
Actually those pictures don't fit at all with the image you description painted. Those are STUFFED whereas the description you gave seems to imply something more random looking, certainly not sewn into the cohesive whole shown in Erf World.

DracoDei
2007-05-30, 05:22 PM
Might want to put "See also: Static Cling" under Magic Immunity...

aaron_the_cow
2007-05-30, 05:30 PM
this is awsome :biggrin:
you shold make it be able to be a sail on a ship that atomaticly changes to the derection of the wind.

DragonTounge
2007-06-08, 06:21 PM
Does the cloth golem catch fire even if it makes its reflex save? Also, I think it would be cool if it could wrap its self around an adventurer and suffocate him.