PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Question: Outsider Animal Companion.

Xuldarinar
2015-06-02, 02:30 AM
To the point, is there any way to get an outsider as an animal companion?

If not, how should allowing such a thing be approached?

Psyren
2015-06-02, 09:14 AM
Eidolon :smalltongue:

For an actual animal companion, the closest you can likely come in 1st-party is making it Celestial or Fiendish.

EDIT: Actually there's sort of a way? Planar Ally to get an outsider to follow you around like a companion, Sacred Servant Paladins get to do this and not have to pay.

Yanisa
2015-06-02, 09:43 AM
For an actual animal companion, the closest you can likely come in 1st-party is making it Celestial or Fiendish.
There is a feat for it: Celestial Servant (Aasimar) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/celestial-servant-aasimar) (Humans, Half-Orcs and Half-Elven can apply through Racial Heritage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/racial-heritage).)

Paladins also get the celestial template for their mounts and wizards can do various outsider things with Improved Familiar.

Anti-paladins come close with permanent summon monsters (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/alternate-classes/antipaladin#TOC-Fiendish-Boon-Sp-). Although Summoner does it better.

Psyren
2015-06-02, 09:49 AM
Divine Hunter also gets a celestial/fiendish companion (and is a useful archetype on its own merits.)

Red Fel
2015-06-02, 10:02 AM
There is a feat for it: Celestial Servant (Aasimar) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/celestial-servant-aasimar) (Humans, Half-Orcs and Half-Elven can apply through Racial Heritage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/racial-heritage).)

Objection! Racial Heritage lets you be treated as a member of a Humanoid race. Aasimars are not Humanoids; they're Outsiders (Native).

Tempting though it might be. I tried something like this with an Aasimar (with the Scion of Humanity alternate racial trait) and an Ifrit, and it did not work. It did not work.

Psyren
2015-06-02, 10:08 AM
Tempting though it might be. I tried something like this with an Aasimar (with the Scion of Humanity alternate racial trait) and an Ifrit, and it did not work. It did not work.

Why wouldn't it though? A Scion of Humanity Aasimar is still an Aasimar - your heritage would simply be from one of them. Yeah it's cheap, but humans are dirty cheating bastards, that's why we own Golarion.

Red Fel
2015-06-02, 10:28 AM
Why wouldn't it though? A Scion of Humanity Aasimar is still an Aasimar - your heritage would simply be from one of them. Yeah it's cheap, but humans are dirty cheating bastards, that's why we own Golarion.

Because I wanted to use Scion of Humanity to take Racial Heritage, so that I could take Ifrit traits/feats. (There was a whole fire-related logic to it, details.) And an Ifrit, like an Aasimar, is an Outsider (Native), not a Humanoid. So even though Scion of Humanity let me count as Human, and thus let me take Racial Heritage, I couldn't use it to qualify as any PF Planetouched.

Psyren
2015-06-02, 12:09 PM
Because I wanted to use Scion of Humanity to take Racial Heritage, so that I could take Ifrit traits/feats. (There was a whole fire-related logic to it, details.) And an Ifrit, like an Aasimar, is an Outsider (Native), not a Humanoid. So even though Scion of Humanity let me count as Human, and thus let me take Racial Heritage, I couldn't use it to qualify as any PF Planetouched.

I'm not talking about qualifying as an Ifrit though - I'm talking about a humanoid race qualifying as a SoH Aasimar (who is also humanoid) and thus getting access to Celestial Servant.

Red Fel
2015-06-02, 12:14 PM
I'm not talking about qualifying as an Ifrit though - I'm talking about a humanoid race qualifying as a SoH Aasimar (who is also humanoid) and thus getting access to Celestial Servant.

But I don't think you can qualify as a race with a specific alternate racial trait. Racial Heritage lets you "[c]hoose another humanoid race." Aasimar is not a Humanoid race; SoH Aasimar is not a race at all. SoH is an alternate racial trait for Aasimars, that does not change your type or subtype. A SoH Aasimar is still an Outsider (Native). However, SoH adds the proviso that "[a]n aasimar with this racial trait counts as an outsider (native) and a humanoid (human)[.]" It doesn't change your type, it simply allows you to count as Human; it doesn't actually make you a Humanoid.

Xuldarinar
2015-06-02, 12:15 PM
Here is something, not that it is really what I am looking for:

An evil aligned divine hunter (or one just worshiping and evil deity), who happens to be an Aasimar, takes Celestial Servant. So.. you have a celestial fiendish animal companion? Would there be any use in that?

Now, to a more relevant point: With divine hunter, would it be reasonable to expand the options for template, as appropriate, to templates that in other places have been used in place of the fiendish and celestial templates? Shadow creature template (darkness or shadow in deity's portfolio/domains), I'm sure entropic and resolute would be suitable (Chaotic and lawful respectively), and perhaps even the alien creature template (3rd party pathfinder version of the psudonatural creature template, suitable for those devoted to beings of the Tapestry.)

torrasque666
2015-06-02, 12:19 PM
Here is something, not that it is really what I am looking for:

An evil aligned divine hunter (or one just worshiping and evil deity), who happens to be an Aasimar, takes Celestial Servant. So.. you have a celestial fiendish animal companion? Would there be any use in that?

Well, it would have DR X/Good and X/Evil, so its almost always getting 10 points of damage knocked off, and Resist Cold, Fire, Acid, and Electricity Y with relation to its HD. So it gains some buffs. Oh, and Smite Evil 1/day and Smite Good 1/day.

Psyren
2015-06-02, 01:46 PM
But I don't think you can qualify as a race with a specific alternate racial trait. Racial Heritage lets you "[c]hoose another humanoid race." Aasimar is not a Humanoid race; SoH Aasimar is not a race at all. SoH is an alternate racial trait for Aasimars, that does not change your type or subtype. A SoH Aasimar is still an Outsider (Native). However, SoH adds the proviso that "[a]n aasimar with this racial trait counts as an outsider (native) and a humanoid (human)[.]" It doesn't change your type, it simply allows you to count as Human; it doesn't actually make you a Humanoid.

This is very debatable because "any effect related to race" is extremely broad and very poorly-defined; there is no game definition of what an "effect" is or isn't. A feat taken by another character entirely that references your trait could be an "effect."

Well, it would have DR X/Good and X/Evil, so its almost always getting 10 points of damage knocked off, and Resist Cold, Fire, Acid, and Electricity Y with relation to its HD. So it gains some buffs. Oh, and Smite Evil 1/day and Smite Good 1/day.

Also scaling SR.

atemu1234
2015-06-02, 03:06 PM
Objection! Racial Heritage lets you be treated as a member of a Humanoid race. Aasimars are not Humanoids; they're Outsiders (Native).

Lesser Aasimar?

torrasque666
2015-06-02, 03:08 PM
Lesser Aasimar?
Not a thing in Pathfinder.