PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #989 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2015-06-02, 04:05 AM
New comic is up.

Killer Angel
2015-06-02, 04:10 AM
Little Whiskers made my day. Thanks, Giant! :smallsmile:

edit: that's not true. The Whole strip is so full of win, that it all made my day. :smallwink:

Lord Raziere
2015-06-02, 04:11 AM
No, the tiger is not defective. It simply recognizes that Mr. Scruffly is the true king of all cats, as all cats should.

Neoriceisgood
2015-06-02, 04:11 AM
Okay, enjoyed the tiger running from the cat. That was cutely entertaining. :smallbiggrin:

Quild
2015-06-02, 04:14 AM
Wasn't there a list of surname given by Belkar? Here is another one ;)

Blackwing wants to know if he'll play the lottery? :smallconfused:
Not if he'll win it?

To Keltest: I'm more focused on Wrecan's head on this panel :smalleek:
Is he an owlman now?

Keltest
2015-06-02, 04:14 AM
Mr Scruffy appears to have vanished in panel 3, though I suppose he could just be behind the railing.

Nith
2015-06-02, 04:16 AM
I wonder if the fact that the tiger seems scared and nervous will at some point have plot relevance.

Bulldog Psion
2015-06-02, 04:17 AM
Man, this is such a heartwarming, fun strip that now I'm doubly worried for Veldrina and Wrecan. And Little Whiskers. :smallwink:

That tiger looks superb, by the way. I'm enjoying the art upgrade more with every strip. Just think what Little Whiskers would have looked like back around the time Miko showed up.

I am starting to wonder where Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator (sp.) is, though. Did Durk Malackssen toss him overboard when nobody was looking? :smalleek:

Pendulous
2015-06-02, 04:18 AM
Mr. Scruffy: the real hero of this adventure.

Yendor
2015-06-02, 04:18 AM
Roy's future psychic powers strike again!

Mono Vertigo
2015-06-02, 04:23 AM
Okay, enjoyed the tiger running from the cat. That was cutely entertaining. :smallbiggrin:

Having owned small and large dogs at once, I can assure you this is a more likely occurrence than you might think. :smallbiggrin:

Starwulf
2015-06-02, 04:23 AM
"I think I got a defective Tiger". That line coupled with that particular scene nearly made me spit juice all over my computer monitor. It did wake up my wife from my hysterical laughter though, she wasn't to happy.

Sarbos
2015-06-02, 04:26 AM
Woaw.... Amazing...

Defective tiger...

Asking for a friend... :smallwink:

I want more... :smallsmile:

thereaper
2015-06-02, 04:29 AM
What is going on with Wrecan's shield in panel 3?

Hmmm...On closer inspection, it appears that his head has done a complete 180 degree turn, based on comparisons of those hip plates between panels 2 and 3.

Bulldog Psion
2015-06-02, 04:29 AM
Having owned small and large dogs at once, I can assure you this is a more likely occurrence than you might think. :smallbiggrin:

Yes, it's true. I've seen a small dog with a commanding enough personality to set a big one quailing with a glance. :smallbiggrin:

dancrilis
2015-06-02, 04:34 AM
Nice to see Belkar and Vaarsuvius back they have been absent a bit lately, (I quite enjoyed the joke about the NPC panel-filler I admit).

Darkfyre99
2015-06-02, 04:41 AM
Wrecan's shield in panel three seems to be on the wrong side of his body.

Love the huge tiger being chased by tiny housecat. :)

Edhelras
2015-06-02, 04:49 AM
I'm sorry, Wrecan, but Elves are particularly resistant versus enchantments... Besides, even though they have an entry in the Monster Manual (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0530.html), I don't think they can be targeted by Animal Empathy...

Keltest
2015-06-02, 04:50 AM

Love the huge tiger being chased by tiny housecat. :)

Youre right. Either that, or he twisted his neck and scarf around completely, in which case... OUCH! :smalleek:

Faltenin
2015-06-02, 05:03 AM
That actually does sound like a very efficient course of action... why am I thinking that's not how things will work out? :smallwink:

I love the "will I ever play the lottery" line!

TheOneHawk
2015-06-02, 05:04 AM
I don't get the title :/1

Spanish_Paladin
2015-06-02, 05:05 AM
"Count no-neckula".... i love it :smallbiggrin:

Murk
2015-06-02, 05:09 AM
Youre right. Either that, or he twisted his neck and scarf around completely, in which case... OUCH! :smalleek:

He's probably a half-owl or something. If there's owlbears, why not owlmen.

Xodiac
2015-06-02, 05:09 AM
I've seen video of cats chasing bears away. So this isn't entirely out of line.

Still, I hope she kept the receipt on that tiger.

Kareasint
2015-06-02, 05:12 AM
The tiger looked at the cat and saw a true killer. It immediately knew its place.

Awesome strip.

Aurorax
2015-06-02, 05:13 AM
New comic is up.

Go Whiskers!

Stares and Stripes Forever is a play on Stars and Stripes Forever a patriotic song in the United States.

Lurkmoar
2015-06-02, 05:13 AM
Nice strip, but I think the gold goes to Belkar about his NPC filler quip.

Now I get to worry about how the secret meeting of clerics will go sideways when the OoTS shows up.

Lordchoculla
2015-06-02, 05:21 AM
New comic is up.

Aw... my daughter (age 6years old) loves tigers :-)

Castamir
2015-06-02, 05:40 AM
As an owner of such a mighty predator (one with silky black fur), I approve. Nothing can stop a beastly kitteh!

Burner28
2015-06-02, 05:40 AM
Mr. Scruffy was the star of this strip!:smallbiggrin:

Onyavar
2015-06-02, 05:53 AM
Wrecan's shield in panel three seems to be on the wrong side of his body.That also had me puzzled.

Otherwise, a really awesome strip! Roy looks good. V looks good. Belkar behaves as if he actually were a team player.

With Haley having beaten Crystal and Elan having beaten his Dad, there is only one thing stopping them from being considered a well-rounded party (the very thing Roy couldn't believe in OoPCs).

*frowns on Hel's catspaw*

ThatNickGuy
2015-06-02, 06:06 AM
Okay, it wasn't just me thrown off by Wrecan's shield in that panel. For some reason, I thought there was this giant button (like for a coat) thrown onto the panel with no reason. That's the first time I've ever had any criticism with this comic's art. Which, being a reader since about the end of the second book, is a good sign. Still, I think I know the issue. Wrecan's face is turned way too much to the point that it looks like he's an owl. I get what Rich is going for: Wrecan looking sideways, but it's also a shot from behind. Seeing only half of his face would fix this, if Rich felt like tweaking that. I don't know how much work that would involve.

Meanwhile, they have quite the menagerie going on this ship. We have a cat, a tiger, a raven, and a polymorphed t-rex. You could arguably add Durkula's bat form, too.

kivzirrum
2015-06-02, 06:08 AM
Two things on this earth that bring me joy other than OotS--housecats, and tigers.

Naturally, I loved this strip. Adorable! Also, "I take back 80% of the bad things I said about you in the last hour." Oh, Belkar.

FlawedParadigm
2015-06-02, 06:12 AM
So much for having the Eye of the Tiger...

omnitricks
2015-06-02, 06:13 AM
Belkar is Mr Scruffy's animal companion so it stands to reason that whatever the awesome killer Belkar is made out to be, Mr Scruffy will be levels above that.

The tiger in recognizing this fact ran away in fear.

The tiger made a mistake in running away from an apex predator.

HandofShadows
2015-06-02, 06:20 AM
High level ranger gets the job done. Well his cat does. :smallbiggrin:

Jaxzan Proditor
2015-06-02, 06:24 AM
Mr. Scruffy made me giggle here. This was a cute little strip.

hamishspence
2015-06-02, 06:28 AM
That tiger looks superb, by the way. I'm enjoying the art upgrade more with every strip. Just think what Little Whiskers would have looked like back around the time Miko showed up.

The deity Tiger might be a good approximation of "pre-upgrade Little Whiskers":

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0407.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0453.html

Ramien
2015-06-02, 06:28 AM
And the fact that Belkar is acting like a ranger again isn't worrying anyone else?

truemane
2015-06-02, 06:31 AM
Mr. Scruffy for President!

That was a great strip. I'm loving Wrecan and Veldrina. They're the perfect compliment to the story.

I know Veldrina is the Kickstarter 'walk on' but has Giant commented on how closely the character's personality hews to the actual character's? Like, I wonder if Rich shaded his portrayal of Veldrina to match the actual contributor's character?

Clistenes
2015-06-02, 06:38 AM

My sister's Chihuahua/Yorkie mix always viciously attack my Newfie/Chow Chow mix (those aren't designer dogs; we always adopt unwanted puppies born by accident). Fortunately for the Chorkie, my dog is very friendly towards other dogs (not towards humans, though) and just ignores his attacks until he manages to bite one of his ears, and then he pushes him off with his forepaw and keeps ignoring him.

That same Chorkie, however, often manages to chase away a hound seven or eight times its weight.

snowblizz
2015-06-02, 06:41 AM
And the fact that Belkar is acting like a ranger again isn't worrying anyone else?
Some things in heaven and earth Horatio... or some mangling like that of old sayings...

I know Veldrina is the Kickstarter 'walk on' but has Giant commented on how closely the character's personality hews to the actual character's? Like, I wonder if Rich shaded his portrayal of Veldrina to match the actual contributor's character?
Check on other previous threads, I think the cameo buyer commented on it. IIRC yes the personality is close to the "original" character.

137beth
2015-06-02, 06:45 AM
...huh, that is not the behavior I would typically expect from a fully grown tiger.

:smallsmile:

factotum
2015-06-02, 06:47 AM
I don't see an issue with panel 3. If you look at the top of his legs you can see that there are two armour plates in front of them, and three behind; whereas when we're looking at him from the front in the last panel, there are three in front. I therefore panel 3 is a rear view with him looking over his shoulder at Veldrina; maybe it would look a bit more natural if his head was turned more to the side, but hey, he *could* be part owl, who knows? :smallbiggrin:

ThatNickGuy
2015-06-02, 06:53 AM
...huh, that is not the behavior I would typically expect from a fully grown tiger.

:smallsmile:

Heh, you'd be suprised. :smallbiggrin:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/57746/11-ways-big-cats-are-just-domestic-cats

Quild
2015-06-02, 06:53 AM
I just realized that V is actually smiling in first panel :smalleek:
But Roy broke that :(

grandpheonix
2015-06-02, 06:59 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I lol'd all the way through this! Giant, you sir, know where my funny bone is.

D.One
2015-06-02, 07:07 AM
Now we all know who really call the shots around here...

Jay R
2015-06-02, 07:13 AM
Character-driven whimsy and fun. A nice break from all the ominousness.

Lord Torath
2015-06-02, 07:21 AM
Awwwwwww. Such a cute little tiger. And Mr. Scruffy defending his territory!

Ron Miel
2015-06-02, 07:33 AM

That also had me puzzled.

Okay, it wasn't just me thrown off by Wrecan's shield in that panel.

We're seeing him from behind. The shield is hanging on his back.

It's his head that looks peculiar. He's got his body facing forward, and his head turned to the left, looking at the elf. It's showing a bit too much of the face, it looks almost like his head is turned completely backwards.

I guess The Giant isn't used to drawing stick figures at that particular angle. I think it's unique in the comic.

No criticism intended.

With a box
2015-06-02, 07:41 AM
who will win if Mr. Scruffly and the tiger fights?

JSSheridan
2015-06-02, 07:48 AM
Thanks Giant!

ThatNickGuy
2015-06-02, 07:48 AM

It's his head that looks peculiar. He's got his body facing forward, and his head turned to the left, looking at the elf. It's showing a bit too much of the face, it looks almost like his head is turned completely backwards.

I guess The Giant isn't used to drawing stick figures at that particular angle. I think it's unique in the comic.

No criticism intended.

Yeah, that was exactly it. It's like the poor Wrecan was cosplaying as Zod from Man of Steel. It's just a bit awkward, that's all.

UristMcRandom
2015-06-02, 07:49 AM

Story-wise: Mr. Scruffy
Mechanics-wise: Little Whiskers

SirKazum
2015-06-02, 08:00 AM
The deity Tiger might be a good approximation of "pre-upgrade Little Whiskers":

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0407.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0453.html

Wow... it's come a long way since then :smallsmile:

Bulldog Psion
2015-06-02, 08:02 AM

The "Stars and Stripes" is a nickname for the U.S. flag.

John Phillips Sousa wrote a patriotic march entitled "Stars and Stripes Forever" in 1897, which is today the official National March of the United States.

"Stares and Stripes Forever" riffs on that, since Mr. Scruffy stares down Little Whiskers, who is possessed of numerous stripes.

I have to admit, while I like the title, I'd also have been tempted to call it "Put a Tiger in Your Tank" or some such. Not sure why.

Edit: and yes, I agree that Wrecan must have the Half-Owl template. :smallbiggrin:

Blue_C.
2015-06-02, 08:17 AM

Not just you. I was like, "Belkar...using his class abilities? CHAOS AND DOOM APPROACHES."

happycrow
2015-06-02, 08:19 AM
Well, to be fair, Scruffy's seen way more combat-not-hunting than the average housecat.
Belkar's straight-left through the fourth wall was funny, too.

DaOldeWolf
2015-06-02, 08:21 AM
No one messes with the real power of Azure city. :smallbiggrin:

Gusion
2015-06-02, 08:23 AM
New comic is up.

Haha, I approve. Nice summary, some good laughs.

And yes, obviously Wrecan is a fighter. I think Rich made that point is this strip.

Deliverance
2015-06-02, 08:25 AM
I don't see an issue with panel 3. If you look at the top of his legs you can see that there are two armour plates in front of them, and three behind; whereas when we're looking at him from the front in the last panel, there are three in front. I therefore panel 3 is a rear view with him looking over his shoulder at Veldrina; maybe it would look a bit more natural if his head was turned more to the side, but hey, he *could* be part owl, who knows? :smallbiggrin:
It looks thoroughly unnatural. When normal people look over their shoulder, they don't rotate their head 140-160 degrees.

To get the sort of angle of face we are seeing would require the the upper body to twist, something of which there is no graphical indication. Call it a limitation of the medium, if you will, but if one looks at the body it looks like Wrecan has a big button levitating in front of him. It requires hunting for justification, such as your logical deduction, to see it in any other way.

Prospekt
2015-06-02, 08:26 AM
Not just you. I was like, "Belkar...using his class abilities? CHAOS AND DOOM APPROACHES."

No, it's Death and Destruction, haven't you been paying attention? :smallwink:

Shining Wrath
2015-06-02, 08:33 AM
"Does that trick work on elves? Asking for a friend" was pure LOL. Also "It's just an enormous pile of physics-defying machinery ...".

Now, did Little Whiskers respond to Belkar's authority, or his cat's?

And ... why is Durkon offstage? What is he doing? I think I know - he's sending a report to Hel as fast as his little legs can get him out of sight.

Famous Sousa march "The Stars and Stripes Forever". Belkar stares; the tiger has stripes; Burlew puns.

Gusion
2015-06-02, 08:41 AM

If Belkar was a druid, then Mr. Scruffy could stand a chance. But as a ranger, Mr. Scruffy probably only has 4.5 HD, evasion, and a 19 dex. The tiger has a 6 HD, 23 strength, and +14 to grapple. Tiger would eventually grapple Mr. Scruffy and that'd be the end of that.

Now, did Little Whiskers respond to Belkar's authority, or his cat's?.

Mr. Scruffy. He's looking at the cat in the eyes, not Belkar.

Psyren
2015-06-02, 08:43 AM
The tiger art is fantastic. The Giant's style just keeps evolving.

Poor Roy - I think "use V's Teleport Orb to pop right to Kraagor's Gate" might be the only part of his statement that goes as planned. And then they arrive and Team Evil is sweeping up the corpses of Kraagor's monsters while finishing up the ritual.

Gwynfrid
2015-06-02, 08:43 AM
Great strip, great characterization. The Veldrina-Wrecan dynamic is great, and Belkar is in top form! So many hilarious lines in this one, it's hard to pick a favorite. I'll go for "I take back 80% of the bad things I said about you in the last hour." :smallbiggrin:

On the minus side, I agree with those who are put off by Wrecan's posture in panel 3. Whether he's supposed to be seen from behind or not, it looks unnatural.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-06-02, 08:44 AM
What a wonderful plan that will almost certainly go completely pear-shaped. I wonder if the tiger refused to get on board because he's afraid of the airship (which is a possibility; my dog refuses to walk over anything that isn't solid) or because he senses something about the vampire.

Hardcore
2015-06-02, 08:50 AM
Art-wise the Tiger is a failure. More realistic surely but less tiger than it would have been if done in old technique.:/
The "Celstial lion", for eample, was a much more effective icon.

Peelee
2015-06-02, 08:51 AM
I think that cat is feeling the thrill of the fight, and is readying itself for rising up to the challenge of our rival.

Quild
2015-06-02, 08:52 AM

On another hand, this ability looks like an intimidation check (and a low one) rather than a wild empathy check (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0335.html).

Gusion
2015-06-02, 08:53 AM
Also...

I feel a little bad for V here. What is it with authority figures being dismissive of other people's actions lately? Roy and Haley both are being self-absorbed jerks. Can't say a little "good job"? WTF man.

I also hope she got to purchase the Dimension Door boots as well as the orb. It doesn't look like it, based on the color of her boots though :-(

Kantaki
2015-06-02, 09:09 AM
Great update. Mr. Scruffy chasing Little Whiskers made me laugh. And poor Veldrina should really have tested the tiger before buying it.

hagnat
2015-06-02, 09:10 AM

No criticism intended.

Some criticism is good occasionally, specially if its constructive.

Rich art style has improved a lot since he begun drawing OotS, but he still has space to improve (specially since he made the switch to the new art style in the beginning of this book) and if we only praise him he will not better himself.

I was with the i-hate-the-new-noodle-art-style bandwagon when it showed up, but i have to admit that the new art style has improved the comic a lot, and Rich has been doing an awesome job at it. So helping the Giant tailor his art style to perfection is something that is in his, the comic, and this community best interest.

Back to the angle issue.
This angle looks kind of odd, really. Its not one we see everyday, and Rich might not be used to draw it - specially with such a big item in the character's back. I think we won't see this position again anytime soon, but i would advise the Giant to work a lil bit more on it for any possible future uses.

Overall, i related A LOT with the big pet being chased by smaller pet joke. Seen that a lot with dogs. It was hilarious :)

Shining Wrath
2015-06-02, 09:10 AM
What a wonderful plan that will almost certainly go completely pear-shaped. I wonder if the tiger refused to get on board because he's afraid of the airship (which is a possibility; my dog refuses to walk over anything that isn't solid) or because he senses something about the vampire.

The tiger barely stirred a lil' whisker when HPoH was 6' away internally musing about murdering his mistress. I don't think it's the vampire.

Tigers have a good sense of smell; it might be the odor of burnt wood, melted metal, and grubby gnomes.

EDIT:

I'm going to join the chorus: Wrecan in panel #3 looks awful. If you aren't paying close attention to the details of his leg armor, it looks like he's standing there with a large button ready for Veldrina to push located just over his heart. If they were a married couple I'd call it deeply symbolic in a Daliesque way, but they aren't, and it's the plot that's surreal in OotS, not the art.

Lkctgo
2015-06-02, 09:21 AM
I'm going to lay 10 on that tiger being part of the Durkula Reveal.

ChillerInstinct
2015-06-02, 09:22 AM
One of my housecats once chased off a deer once, so this brings up old memories.

And ... why is Durkon offstage? What is he doing? I think I know - he's sending a report to Hel as fast as his little legs can get him out of sight.

Probably a combination of that and refreshing his spells-- it appears to be dusk.

ahdok
2015-06-02, 09:24 AM
I'm pretty sure we're meant to be looking at Wrecan's back, simply because the inside of the shield is a plain grey, whereas the outside of the shield appears to have an edge. When we see him from the front, the shield doesn't have that light grey rim.

Still, it looks super freaky from that angle...

Jay R
2015-06-02, 09:49 AM

Whoever the plots calls to win.

Who wins in a fight between Superman and Bizarro? Bizarro if it's early in the comic; Superman if it's the climax.

This isn't a game; it's a story.

Anarion
2015-06-02, 09:49 AM
The title of this strip is glorious. Pity nobody's genre savvy is working though. "I have a perfect efficient plan" announced in advance is always a bad sign.

rewinn
2015-06-02, 09:53 AM
I liked the detail of Blackwing flying off to make room for more NPCs, and not just disappearing from our mental view.
I must say that talking about a secret meeting out on the open deck of a vessel filled with NPC sailors is not a best practice in information security.

SirKazum
2015-06-02, 09:55 AM
I think the problem with Wrecan is that the stick-figure art style does not lend itself to portraying heads from a sideways view, or a three-quarters-from-behind (if there is such a term), which is probably what we should be seeing here. You can show characters head-on, from a three-quarters view mostly from the front (which is the most common view), or from the back. From a profile view, they'd look like Pac-Man with hair, and nobody wants that; in a three-quarters view from behind, there's little to nothing in terms of facial features (at least in the stick figure style) to be shown, so it would also look freaky. Hence the weird head turned all the way back Exorcist-style; it's the only way to show both a character's back and face. IIRC, that's the first time that happens in the comic, which is why it's so weird.

If it were me, and I wanted to showcase the button-like shield (which seems to be the purpose of that shot), I'd just show Wrecan's head from behind. Maybe have him extend his hand toward Veldrina to show he's interacting with her (don't have a reference with me right now, but I think OOTS characters do that sometimes). Between that and the tip of the speech balloon, I think it would be easy for the reader to understand what's going on. But then again, I'm not the author :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2015-06-02, 09:56 AM
staring at a dominant dog or wolf is a challenge (http://wolfcenter.org/site/wolf-behavior/eye-position.html), and they'll spring at you.

So there's no one size fits all strategy that works for dominating and taming large, dangerous animals. It works for Belkar, because A) he's just awesome and B) D&D abstracts animal handling into a universal skill check. Just don't try it with the animals us commoners are typically likely to meet in cities. On the most common animal, the dog, it is counterproductive.
Wrong thread, Pendell. That should be in #989.

I noticed that, in Kipling's The Jungle Book - this "challenge" is always declined by even the senior wolves in Mowgli's pack. It's portrayed as a "nothing can meet Man's eyes for very long" thing.

kivzirrum
2015-06-02, 09:59 AM
Art-wise the Tiger is a failure. More realistic surely but less tiger than it would have been if done in old technique.:/
The "Celstial lion", for eample, was a much more effective icon.

Really? I think the tiger looks great. I mean, Tiger looked great in the old style, too, but the updated tiger appearance seems to me to be a good fit for the art upgrade.

Admittedly, I'm more of a "words" guy than an "art" guy--I mostly just know how to "ooh" at the pretty images. Technique's not really something I'm knowledgeable about. Still, it seems perfectly pretty to me!

Emperordaniel
2015-06-02, 10:09 AM
Suddenly, I'm hoping that the explanation to this is that Wrecan was, at some point, bitten by a radioactive owl. :smallbiggrin:

Owl-Man, Owl-Man, does whatever an owl can...

Vreejack
2015-06-02, 10:12 AM
Aside from Wrecan's ability to rotate his head like an owl's, his shield looks like a button that fell off of a fairly large giant's dress shirt. Perhaps it is a trophy.

LordRahl6
2015-06-02, 10:22 AM

Yeah, I don't know which is more scary, Belkar actually using Ranger abilities or Mr. Scruffy chasing Little Whiskers.:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Liked how we saw Wrecan's backside giving the feeling of a Three-Dimensional World.:smallwink:

YossarianLives
2015-06-02, 10:22 AM
Awesome strip. I get the impression that the cleric-meetup won't go as easily as expected. I think Durkula is going to go on a rampage once he gets there.

rbetieh
2015-06-02, 10:27 AM
Clearly these two cats dont get along, maybe a cameo of that guy from Animal Planets My Cat From Hell is in order...or maybe a Cat from Hel is in order....

factotum
2015-06-02, 10:37 AM
Call it a limitation of the medium, if you will

I think that's unquestionably what it is. Look at panel 4, for instance--Roy and Belkar are clearly supposed to be talking to each other, yet they both appear to be staring at a point a fair distance in front of each other's faces and their bodies are both planted almost straight on to the "camera". It's an unnatural pose to have a conversation with someone, but it's the way the OotS art style has always worked, so why is it bad in panel 3 but not in panel 4?

Keltest
2015-06-02, 10:43 AM
I think that's unquestionably what it is. Look at panel 4, for instance--Roy and Belkar are clearly supposed to be talking to each other, yet they both appear to be staring at a point a fair distance in front of each other's faces and their bodies are both planted almost straight on to the "camera". It's an unnatural pose to have a conversation with someone, but it's the way the OotS art style has always worked, so why is it bad in panel 3 but not in panel 4?

I think Rich would have been better served if he had shown us the back of Wrecan's head. We don't need to see his face there to know who he is talking to, and it wouldn't look quite as mutated.

Oh well, live and learn.

Stegyre
2015-06-02, 10:46 AM
"Asking for a friend" is what really wins this strip for me.

Magesmiley
The second-to-last panel needs to become a T-Shirt. "Don't mess with the housecat."

Lissou
I was hoping for Mr Scruffy / Little Whiskers interaction, but I didn't expect it to be so... one-way. I hope they make up (I'd like to see them snuggling together or otherwise friendly to one another)

No criticism intended.

It may stand out more in this panel due to the shield, but that's not a new development. The Giant draws the head in a 3-quarter manner pretty much all the time, with the body either facing forward or back. V has the exact same face/body position in that same panel for instance. It's a pretty common occurrence. Again, I think it's only noticeable in this specific case because the shield is "in the way" (although I'm sure not everyone was bothered by it. I know I wasn't, for instance).

It's all about the characters facing the audience (us). Ever notice how, say, improv comedians both face the audience, being next to each other, instead of facing each other? Same kind of idea. If you look at pretty much any panels, the characters are never facing each other, they're half-facing each other, half-facing the audience (hence the 3-quarters view). It works very well because it allows us to see the characters better, and most people don't even notice it. Otherwise, we'd have half the characters with the back of their heads to us, or all characters in profile in most panels.

EDIT: looking back, it seems there are more "back of the heads" shots in the comic now (in the new art-style) than there used to be. This specific angle may also be less usual than I remember. The "body facing left, head facing right" (or the other way around) angle is super common though, and would still probably hurt someone's neck.

I also think Wrecan's specific case may be due to the scarf. Males in heavy armour (for instance, Roy) have one shoulder pad drawn smaller which helps with perspective. Wrecan's scarf gets in the way of that (the shoulder is probably smaller but it's more difficult to tell so his body looks more like it's facing us up-front).

Keltest
2015-06-02, 10:49 AM
It may stand out more in this panel due to the shield, but that's not a new development. The Giant draws the head in a 3-quarter manner pretty much all the time, with the body either facing forward or back. V has the exact same face/body position in that same panel for instance. It's a pretty common occurrence. Again, I think it's only noticeable in this specific case because the shield is "in the way" (although I'm sure not everyone was bothered by it. I know I wasn't, for instance).

Its hard to tell, but I think V may be standing sideways.

Lissou
2015-06-02, 10:55 AM
Its hard to tell, but I think V may be standing sideways.

That's possible. We don't see V's other arm but their hair may be obstructing it.

Mordae
2015-06-02, 10:55 AM
I think that cat is feeling the thrill of the fight, and is readying itself for rising up to the challenge of our rival.

Now where's Elan with the power guitar chords?

:elan: DUN! Dun-dun-DUN! Dun-dun-DUN! DUN-DUN-DUN......

BannedInSchool
2015-06-02, 11:04 AM
I have to admit, while I like the title, I'd also have been tempted to call it "Put a Tiger in Your Tank" or some such. Not sure why.
Old, iconic GTO (IIRC) advertisement?

wesleytj
2015-06-02, 11:11 AM
Awesome strip. I get the impression that the cleric-meetup won't go as easily as expected. I think Durkula is going to go on a rampage once he gets there.

I don't think Durkula is that stupid. A rampaging vampire at a meeting full of high level divine casters is a one way ticket to a dead vampire.

littlebum2002
2015-06-02, 11:12 AM

It looks thoroughly unnatural. When normal people look over their shoulder, they don't rotate their head 140-160 degrees.

To get the sort of angle of face we are seeing would require the the upper body to twist, something of which there is no graphical indication. Call it a limitation of the medium, if you will, but if one looks at the body it looks like Wrecan has a big button levitating in front of him. It requires hunting for justification, such as your logical deduction, to see it in any other way.

The question I would ask is: why is he turning around in the first place? According to the previous panel, he is standing behind Veldrina and therefore would have to look forward to talk to her.

Also, his shield DOES look like a button. But I'm not complaining about the art style, the tiger in particular looks fantastic.

President
2015-06-02, 11:16 AM
So, I could totally be in the wrong here, but I had to register after all these years just to comment on this business with the shield.

Rather than an art mistake or challenge, isn't it likely that in the panel in question he has the shield turned around so it's on his front, since he's being asked to go nudge a tiger?

That was what I took out of it immediately, the idea that it was something wrong with the art never even crossed my mind.

Keltest
2015-06-02, 11:22 AM
So, I could totally be in the wrong here, but I had to register after all these years just to comment on this business with the shield.

Rather than an art mistake or challenge, isn't it likely that in the panel in question he has the shield turned around so it's on his front, since he's being asked to go nudge a tiger?

That was what I took out of it immediately, the idea that it was something wrong with the art never even crossed my mind.

If you look at his armor, the pattern of the faulds on his waist shows that we are viewing his back. He did not rotate along with the camera, except for his head.

Shining Wrath
2015-06-02, 11:23 AM

Welcome.

To your point - compare his armor in the last panel to his armor in panel #3. It's pretty clear that the armor in front of his thighs in the last panel is behind him in #3 - his back is to the viewer.

littlebum2002
2015-06-02, 11:23 AM

No. The front of his shirt/kilt whatever has 2 slits, the back only has 1 slit.

EDIT: DOUBLE ninja'd!

Lissou
2015-06-02, 11:26 AM

Look at his legs, or rather his armour right above his legs, and compare to what it looks like when he's facing forward. It's his back.

Art discussions aside, I'm more interested in where Durkon is right now.

hagnat
2015-06-02, 11:26 AM
V has the exact same face/body position in that same panel for instance. [..]

I also think Wrecan's specific case may be due to the scarf. Males in heavy armour (for instance, Roy) have one shoulder pad drawn smaller which helps with perspective. Wrecan's scarf gets in the way of that (the shoulder is probably smaller but it's more difficult to tell so his body looks more like it's facing us up-front).

agreed

V's looking back in the same panel looks so natural that it wasn't even noticeable, hir cape helps create the body positioning perspective that is lacking in Wreccan.

Maybe the scarf and shield - the first covering part of his head, the second being perfectly symmetrical and in front of most of any other body cues we could use to draw perspective here - are to blame on this awkwardness.

Welcome. And i am surprised a common nick/word such as 'President' was available for grabs. Figured that someone else would have taken it in these 10 years :)

Xihirli
2015-06-02, 11:33 AM
What we can take away from this is that Wrecan isn't a ranger.

Bisqwit
2015-06-02, 11:37 AM
Enjoyed the strip as always, but I think the art style of the tiger is quite out of place in a stick figure comic...

Compare that to e.g. Gannji in strip 783, or the dinosaurs in strip 923. Of course, the general level of art was upgraded since both, but this is what I was thinking after looking at panels 7 and 9 for a while.

Xihirli
2015-06-02, 11:46 AM
Also, I sort of wish that V had also gotten the Plane Shift boots. Maybe we'll learn that ve did later.

LordRahl6
2015-06-02, 11:48 AM
The second-to-last panel needs to become a T-Shirt. "Don't mess with the housecat."

I can totally second that motion magesmiley. Especially because I'm a cat person myself.:smallwink:

Wonton
2015-06-02, 11:50 AM
Panel 3 really confused me, but I guess the intent was to have Wrecan looking over his shoulder? As indicated by the fact that there are three dangly bits on the front of his armor, but two on the back? Either way, I must admit it looks really weird.

Bulldog Psion
2015-06-02, 11:59 AM
Oddly, I think there would be zero debate if Wrecan's shoulder in panel 3 curved up instead of down. A convex shoulder/neckline would have put his face on the far side of the shoulder from the viewer.

It's the concave/downward curving neckline that's the problem. It makes it look like Wrecan's chin is hanging down over his shoulder blade, and thus that his head is twisted around.

I think that one tiny section of line makes all the difference. Try using your fingertip to cover just a little bit of his lower mouth and chin, extending the curve of his arm and shoulder upward. Suddenly, it looks like he's looking over his shoulder.

Mattias
2015-06-02, 12:12 PM
Lovely new comic!
Animals chasing other animals. Always gold.

About panel 3:

My guess? It's a layering-mistake. The shield should be layered behind Wrecan's body. That way Wrecan would look like he does on previous panels: with the shield tied to his back.

Otherwise it would be, I'm sorry to say, a somewhat confusing art-choice.

wesleytj
2015-06-02, 12:20 PM
Lovely new comic!
Animals chasing other animals. Always gold.

About panel 3:

My guess? It's a layering-mistake. The shield should be layered behind Wrecan's body. That way Wrecan would look like he does on previous panels: with the shield tied to his back.

Otherwise it would be, I'm sorry to say, a somewhat confusing art-choice.

You're supposed to be looking at his back. He's got his head turned over his shoulder.

ti'esar
2015-06-02, 12:22 PM
A lot of people are commenting on how Wrecan seems to be posed at an unnatural angle in the third panel, but I'm personally more puzzled why his shield appears to be painted to resemble a giant button.

Anyway, this was a funny strip. Besides the comedy gold that is Mr. Scruffy asserting his dominance, the "defective tiger" and "asking for a friend" lines are both really great.

Though man, poor V. S/he was actually smiling in the first panel until Roy preempted hir news.

squidbreath
2015-06-02, 12:24 PM
I'm really liking the perspective in panels 2 &3. the amount of space!!!

Zea mays
2015-06-02, 12:47 PM
Enjoyed the strip as always, but I think the art style of the tiger is quite out of place in a stick figure comic...

Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

...Yeah I'm loving the tiger.

Gamgee
2015-06-02, 01:27 PM
Hahaha Belkar and Mr. Scruffy are awesome. It's kind of funny but true. Had this little Shih Tzu that bossed around all the big dogs.

Xihirli
2015-06-02, 01:49 PM
A lot of people are commenting on how Wrecan seems to be posed at an unnatural angle in the third panel, but I'm personally more puzzled why his shield appears to be painted to resemble a giant button.

Anyway, this was a funny strip. Besides the comedy gold that is Mr. Scruffy asserting his dominance, the "defective tiger" and "asking for a friend" lines are both really great.

Though man, poor V. S/he was actually smiling in the first panel until Roy preempted hir news.

V used to smile more often.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0128.html

This one is still one of my favorites.

Edhelras
2015-06-02, 02:01 PM
The shield has got to go. Period.

Otherwise, I'm with the "nice menagerie!" gang. What a surprising plethora of beasts accompanying the OOTS right now. Raven, housecat ++, tiger, polymorphed t-rex. It's starting to look like Chekhov's Zoo... must lead up to something...

nyjastul69
2015-06-02, 02:02 PM
If Belkar was a druid, then Mr. Scruffy could stand a chance. But as a ranger, Mr. Scruffy probably only has 4.5 HD, evasion, and a 19 dex. The tiger has a 6 HD, 23 strength, and +14 to grapple. Tiger would eventually grapple Mr. Scruffy and that'd be the end of that.

Mr. Scruffy. He's looking at the cat in the eyes, not Belkar.

My guess would be that Mr. Scruffy is older/more mature than Whiskers. I've seen a number of pets smaller in size, but more mature, dominate a larger one.

Icewraith
2015-06-02, 02:05 PM
I too noticed Owl-Wrecan.

However, since I'm not the artist, I don't know if he's satisfied with the result, whether he just isn't looking at the scene the way the rest of us are (for good or ill), or whether the alternatives were even worse.

Going off the perspective, you should really only be able to see part of his face or at least less of the hair on one side with the face shifted over further, but I don't know how that would translate with the style and the program in question, and the fact that noses aren't a thing.

Shining Wrath
2015-06-02, 02:07 PM
Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

...Yeah I'm loving the tiger.

When all the stars threw down their spears
And watered heaven with their tears
Did He smiles his work to see?
Did he that made Mr. Scruffy make thee?

We must give proper credit to William Blake.

hopeful1212
2015-06-02, 02:20 PM
Best Mr. Scruffy moment since #730 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0730.html). I love it! :smallsmile:

goodpeople25
2015-06-02, 02:30 PM
The Scary Cat our emblem dear
The Scary cat Forever
God save us from that Scary Cat
The Scary Cat Forever

wait I think i got the wrong song:smallwink:

Bulldog Psion
2015-06-02, 02:33 PM
The shield has got to go. Period.

Otherwise, I'm with the "nice menagerie!" gang. What a surprising plethora of beasts accompanying the OOTS right now. Raven, housecat ++, tiger, polymorphed t-rex. It's starting to look like Chekhov's Zoo... must lead up to something...

The order is wiped out and is replaced by their Awakened pets? :smallbiggrin::smalleek::smallfrown:

Buckethead
2015-06-02, 03:06 PM
Does anyone love the way Vaarsuvius is drawn now? He looks bad ass now with his robe sleeves and cloak.

Draz74
2015-06-02, 03:24 PM
Best Mr. Scruffy moment since #730 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0730.html). I love it! :smallsmile:

What about 807 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0807.html)?

Xihirli
2015-06-02, 03:29 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0803.html

Or 803, for a Blackwing/Scruffinator combo K.O.

Clistenes
2015-06-02, 03:35 PM
I noticed that, in Kipling's The Jungle Book - this "challenge" is always declined by even the senior wolves in Mowgli's pack. It's portrayed as a "nothing can meet Man's eyes for very long" thing.

Kipling wasn't an ethnologist or a zoologist. He was a Victorian dude convinced of the divine right of Man to rule over Nature (and of White Men to rule over Humanity, and of the English to rule over everybody...).

A wild predator doesn't see humans as challengers to its dominance, but either as prey or threats. If you look a wild predator to the eyes instead of running there is a chance that it won't consider you a prey, and won't pounce on you.

A tamed predator that has been taught to treat humans as members of the same species will most likely think that you are changelling it for dominance and fight. Mowgli's wolves considered him a member of the pack and should have given him a wooping if he looked them to the eyes.

Reboot
2015-06-02, 03:42 PM
A wild predator doesn't see humans as challengers to its dominance, but either as prey or threats. If you look a wild predator to the eyes instead of running there is a chance that it won't consider you a prey, and won't pounce on you.

And for everything else, there's these:
http://i.imgur.com/NXwvKnV.jpg

A.A.King
2015-06-02, 03:47 PM
And for everything else, there's these:
http://i.imgur.com/NXwvKnV.jpg

Sometimes you're not sure if we Dutch really accomplised anything, than you remember we invented that and you think to yourself: "We've done our bit to further humanity"

Anyway, a comic with Belkar and Mr. Scruffy is always a good comic. It does make you wonder though, with all those extra Animal Companion Hit Die, could Mr Scruffy win this fight? (Ignoring the obvious narrative outcome of course)

veti
2015-06-02, 04:24 PM

But they're not fighting. This is a contest of CHA, and everyone knows even a regular housecat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/cat.htm) can browbeat a tiger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/tiger.htm) at least three times out of five...

Gaming-Poet
2015-06-02, 04:36 PM
We must give proper credit to William Blake.

I have spent years teaching that poem to first year students, and while a number of them love it, a number of them also stare at me blankly and ask why they should care about a tiger. Usually followed by a yawn or "sad puppy" eyes.

Now it looks like what I needed to do was bring in The Giant as a guest speaker.

President
2015-06-02, 04:56 PM
agreed

V's looking back in the same panel looks so natural that it wasn't even noticeable, hir cape helps create the body positioning perspective that is lacking in Wreccan.

Maybe the scarf and shield - the first covering part of his head, the second being perfectly symmetrical and in front of most of any other body cues we could use to draw perspective here - are to blame on this awkwardness.

Welcome. And i am surprised a common nick/word such as 'President' was available for grabs. Figured that someone else would have taken it in these 10 years :)

Thank you! I acknowledge that I am very lucky my usual nick was available.

Also, now that the hanging armor plates have been pointed out to me, I can't help but agree. He does look like he's owling out in that panel.

Reboot
2015-06-02, 04:58 PM
Incidentally, looks like V had insufficient coin for the Dimension Door boots in the end...

Amphiox
2015-06-02, 05:20 PM
When it comes to the staredown in this strip, one of the two felines involved has killed a man. The other, I suspect, not.

Crazy ridiculous theory time:

The tiger isn't any old tiger, it is Tiger, the God, in disguise, pretending to be a coward to preserve his cover, and he's the actual representative of his pantheon at the upcoming moot. (Veldrina is just representing the Elven deities...)

ti'esar
2015-06-02, 05:28 PM
When it comes to the staredown in this strip, one of the two felines involved has killed a man. The other, I suspect, not.

Crazy ridiculous theory time:

The tiger isn't any old tiger, it is Tiger, the God, in disguise, pretending to be a coward to preserve his cover, and he's the actual representative of his pantheon at the upcoming moot. (Veldrina is just representing the Elven deities...)

Tiger is one of the Southern Gods, not the Western Gods.

Ron Miel
2015-06-02, 05:43 PM
Incidentally, looks like V had insufficient coin for the Dimension Door boots in the end...

Why do you think so? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can't see anything to indicate one way or other.

Gusion
2015-06-02, 06:04 PM
Why do you think so? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can't see anything to indicate one way or other.

If you look at 967, the dimension door boots were purple and V was wearing brown boots. If you compare the color of boots in 989, they appear to be the same boots that V had on in 967.

But they're not fighting.

I'm well aware of that, but the question was specifically what would happen if they were. I was answering that. I included the quote in my comment, I don't understand how people are confused.

Ron Miel
2015-06-02, 06:25 PM
If you look at 967, the dimension door boots were purple and V was wearing brown boots. If you compare the color of boots in 989, they appear to be the same boots that V had on in 967.

Doesn't mean anything. Haley carried around the lime green boots of speed without wearing them. V might be doing the same.

Xihirli
2015-06-02, 06:27 PM
Hey, where is Durkula? Veldrina and Wrecan are still loading up, so Roy must have just arrived at the Mechane. Shouldn't Durkula be with them?

ChillerInstinct
2015-06-02, 06:28 PM

Strictly hypothetically speaking, V could have had them dyed. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0675.html) Or, V might have bought them and not wore them out the door, and had them stashed somewhere on the ship (or gave them to Haley to put in one of her bags of holding off-panel, etc.) just in case.

Then again they also had pretty obvious laces and the ones V are wearing don't appear to have them, dye or no dye, so...

You're most likely right, but I smell a potential Chekhov's Boots. Never know if someone in the party might need to DD their way out of a bind...

Hey, where is Durkula? Veldrina and Wrecan are still loading up, so Roy must have just arrived at the Mechane. Shouldn't Durkula be with them?

Probably refreshing his spells and/or communing with Hel, since it appears to be dusk.

BrotherMirtillo
2015-06-02, 06:56 PM
The title of this strip is glorious. Pity nobody's genre savvy is working though. "I have a perfect efficient plan" announced in advance is always a bad sign.

On a lower deck somewhere:

:elan:(gasp) No... no, NO!!!
:Felix: All right, all right -- if you don't want a scarf, I'll put it back.

Blackwing wants to know if he'll play the lottery? :smallconfused:
Not if he'll win it?

I shall imagine this: Blackwing is fascinated by the idea of winning many shinies, and he has wanted to play for a while, but when he first approached a vendor, he observed someone else using a scratch-off ticket. Suddenly, that person's copper piece slipped from their grip and fell down a hole, and they shrugged, took out another copper piece, and never attempted to regain the first one.

He suffered a nervous breakdown at such callous behavior, and he was inconsolable for days afterwards. Now, he would be happy just to conquer his trauma and rejoin the fascinating game.

ackmondual
2015-06-02, 09:52 PM
Mr. Scruffy secretly had "Protection from Tigers" casted on him, so he's not afraid :smallbiggrin:

Deuce
2015-06-02, 10:07 PM
Old, iconic GTO (IIRC) advertisement?

Older ad for Exxon gasoline.

Darth Paul
2015-06-02, 10:46 PM
I completely misread the title of the new strip when I read the link in the sidebar, and was expecting something to do with a flag.

Domino Quartz
2015-06-02, 11:09 PM
To those who don't understand the pun in the title,
there's a patriotic song in the USA titled "Stars and Stripes forever" (referring to the US flag, which has stars and stripes on it). It's also a pun on "Stares" (as in, the one between Mr. Scruffy and the tiger) and "Stripes" (the tiger's).

Ornithologist
2015-06-02, 11:34 PM
Guys, there is a better explanation about Wrecan's odd neck skills.

He is obviously half-owl.

You know, because V is half camel.

Emperordaniel
2015-06-02, 11:40 PM
Guys, there is a better explanation about Wrecan's odd neck skills.

He is obviously half-owl.

You know, because V is half camel.

I still prefer my explanation that Wrecan was bitten by a radioactive owl better. :smalltongue:

rewinn
2015-06-02, 11:57 PM

It looks like a "Dhal" shield in the Reading Museum (http://collections.readingmuseum.org.uk/index.asp?page=record&mwsquery=%7Btotopic%7D=%7BWar%20and%20Hunting%7D&filename=REDMG&hitsStart=30)- "This shield is thought to be from Varanasi, India, where it is known as a 'dhal'. Dhal shields are round, and usually have four central bosses which cover the rivets used to hold two arm handles in place on the reverse." http://collections.readingmuseum.org.uk/images/1307_795.jpg

Not to be confused with Roald Dahl.

Lordchoculla
2015-06-03, 12:08 AM
Some criticism is good occasionally, specially if its constructive.

Rich art style has improved a lot since he begun drawing OotS, but he still has space to improve (specially since he made the switch to the new art style in the beginning of this book) and if we only praise him he will not better himself.

I was with the i-hate-the-new-noodle-art-style bandwagon when it showed up, but i have to admit that the new art style has improved the comic a lot, and Rich has been doing an awesome job at it. So helping the Giant tailor his art style to perfection is something that is in his, the comic, and this community best interest.

Back to the angle issue.
This angle looks kind of odd, really. Its not one we see everyday, and Rich might not be used to draw it - specially with such a big item in the character's back. I think we won't see this position again anytime soon, but i would advise the Giant to work a lil bit more on it for any possible future uses.

Overall, i related A LOT with the big pet being chased by smaller pet joke. Seen that a lot with dogs. It was hilarious :)

Intelligent and coherent and well-considered entry. Personally, though, I do not care one iota about that specific detail, really. I am into OotS for the sake of the magnificent storytelling.

In truth, I was not too happy about the art upgrade... when I discovered it. Took a little while and not until I read about it on the forum. The explanation for this oversight? The story for me is on such a superbly superior level, that the simplistic stick drawings from the first part of the saga would have been quite sufficient for me. Now I rarely think about the art upgrade, though it has grown on me and I have come to cherish it (love re-reading the old stripes, though!). Just as long as the art upgrade does not detract from the story, which it does not.

So for me, personally, storytelling and art still forms a perfect synergy for a wonderfully told story that litterary-wise is on a top class level.

Obviously, comments like yours that are helpful and creative and constructive will be helpful to make the art element even better. Thus, I am not complaining about your entry - I just want to add that to some, minor glitches in the art doesn't matter because the storytelling is brilliant and that is what matters the most.

Keep up the good work, mr Giant - looking forward to the next escapades of the Sticks & their new friends - whom I like a lot, actually.

Ron Miel
2015-06-03, 12:10 AM
It looks like a "Dhal" shield in the Reading Museum (http://collections.readingmuseum.org.uk/index.asp?page=record&mwsquery=%7Btotopic%7D=%7BWar%20and%20Hunting%7D&filename=REDMG&hitsStart=30)- "This shield is thought to be from Varanasi, India, where it is known as a 'dhal'. Dhal shields are round, and usually have four central bosses which cover the rivets used to hold two arm handles in place on the reverse." http://collections.readingmuseum.org.uk/images/1307_795.jpg

Not to be confused with Roald Dahl.

Thanks for this, very informative.

Rogar Demonblud
2015-06-03, 12:21 AM
Jeeze, this strip takes me back to my childhood, watching an 85 pound dog flee in terror from a one pound kitten.

Porthos
2015-06-03, 12:22 AM
I still prefer my explanation that Wrecan was bitten by a radioactive owl better. :smalltongue:

Owlman, Owlman, doin' whatever an owl can.
Turns his neck, all the way.
YOINKS elves just like mice.
Look out! Wrecan's the Owlman.

Lissou
2015-06-03, 12:29 AM
Jeeze, this strip takes me back to my childhood, watching an 85 pound dog flee in terror from a one pound kitten.

I've seen several videos of housecats chasing away bears, too. Some of those critters are fearless.

ti'esar
2015-06-03, 12:50 AM

Heh, awesome.

Emperordaniel
2015-06-03, 01:14 AM

*slow clap*

Xihirli
2015-06-03, 02:20 AM
Woodzy Owl bit him. I just know it.

goodpeople25
2015-06-03, 02:22 AM
Wasn't Owlman an alternate universe version of Batman in one of the animated series/movies? Anyone know?

Porthos
2015-06-03, 02:29 AM
Heh, awesome.

*slow clap*

*bows* :smallcool:

Wasn't Owlman an alternate universe version of Batman in one of the animated series/movies? Anyone know?

Mirror-Universe/Evil Opposite version of ol' Bats, apparently. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owlman_(comics))

Lombard
2015-06-03, 02:51 AM

I dunno but Nite Owl from Watchmen had some similarities to Batman.

Adeptus
2015-06-03, 06:45 AM
Poor defective tiger.

screwtape2
2015-06-03, 06:54 AM
Tiger's not very stick-ish.

Ron Miel
2015-06-03, 07:10 AM
I dunno but Nite Owl from Watchmen had some similarities to Batman.

Some, yes. But Nite Owl is mainly based on Blue Beetle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kord).

kivzirrum
2015-06-03, 08:14 AM
Does anyone love the way Vaarsuvius is drawn now? He looks bad ass now with his robe sleeves and cloak.

Yes. Despite him already having appeared quite a lot since the art upgrade, I was only just struck by how awesome they look in this particular strip.

Shining Wrath
2015-06-03, 08:49 AM
You guys are missing the true origin of Wrecan. First, the joke.

Human fighter: "You elves look like girls!"
Elven rogue: "I think to humans everything looks like a girl. There's half elves ... half orcs ..."
Human fighter: "That's enough!"
Elven rogue: "half dragons ..."
Human fighter: "SHUT UP!"

... pause ...

Dwarf cleric: " ... centaurs ..."

Anyway, Wrecan's great-grandmother was cruelly defiled by an owlbear. He gets to add the Owlbear Template (LA + 1).

wesleytj
2015-06-03, 10:01 AM
I really don't understand all the debate and discussion surrounding the position of Wrecan's head. I'll admit it did look slightly odd on first glance, but look at that same panel further back at V. He's striking pretty much the exact same pose, with the same head position, and nobody seems the least bit confused about that. He's simply looking back over his shoulder.

Frankly, it's an act I wish more people would do prior to changing lanes while driving. :roy:

Keltest
2015-06-03, 10:14 AM
I really don't understand all the debate and discussion surrounding the position of Wrecan's head. I'll admit it did look slightly odd on first glance, but look at that same panel further back at V. He's striking pretty much the exact same pose, with the same head position, and nobody seems the least bit confused about that. He's simply looking back over his shoulder.

Frankly, it's an act I wish more people would do prior to changing lanes while driving. :roy:

His chin is on the wrong side of his shoulder, so it looks like his head is twisted more than the ~90 degrees it would be able to turn without, like, killing him.

Also, I believe V is standing sideways.

Bulldog Psion
2015-06-03, 10:24 AM
His chin is on the wrong side of his shoulder, so it looks like his head is twisted more than the ~90 degrees it would be able to turn without, like, killing him.

Agreed. Wrecan's pose is fatal to a human (not an owl, though), and V is definitely side-on. V's pose isn't even remotely equivalent to Wrecan's.

Quild
2015-06-03, 10:26 AM

His what now?

Keltest
2015-06-03, 10:32 AM
Perhaps Wrecan is a were-owl, and his pose is actually an important plot hint?

SirKazum
2015-06-03, 10:46 AM
Perhaps Wrecan is a were-owl, and his pose is actually an important plot hint?

Seems like the safe bet to me :smalltongue:

Lord Torath
2015-06-03, 11:44 AM
Tiger's not very stick-ish.But it looks a lot like the tiger Rich included in the Spring A Monster for Every Season (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive/posts/228780). Unfortunately, unless you were a backer, you can't get them. :smallfrown: Yet. :smallsmile:

Also, check out Little Whiskers' pose in panels 3 and 7. Great job, Giant!

ManuelSacha
2015-06-03, 12:00 PM
Hahahahaha!
"Dude, your tiger is broken."

Btw, all this exposure of Roy's plans was cringe-inducing, since all we know about Durkula pretty much guarantees that nothing will go according to plans.

Xihirli
2015-06-03, 12:12 PM
That was about one panel. Besides, Roy is a planner and tactician. Besides, Unspoken Plan Guarantee.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnspokenPlanGuarantee

Lombard
2015-06-03, 02:06 PM
You know, it's odd, to me this was literally the first OOTS where I was aware in the forefront of my consciousness how far the strip has come visually. I mean, I always end up noticing them after I've been told (how did I miss those thicker fingers at first?!?) but I started liking the strip when the visuals were much rougher and it was all about the jokes and the story, so maybe I got in the habit of paying more attention to the words than the drawings. But yeah I was telling myself, "you know what this is some really sweet comic artwork here, the feeling of depth on the deck really comes through and it's like you're really there".

Then I read the comments and it seems like there's an inordinate amount of griping about the art in this strip. Lol. Banjo will smite you all. :smalltongue:

Oh yeah my sidebar,

Some, yes. But Nite Owl is mainly based on Blue Beetle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kord).

Mm, I see some similarities but perhaps it's an eye of the beholder thing; I always divided the comic book guys into "superpowers" or "no superpowers". (Perhaps in the case of the Blue Beetle it's more like "suit-per powers"..?) #allpunandgames

kivzirrum
2015-06-03, 02:37 PM
You know, it's odd, to me this was literally the first OOTS where I was aware in the forefront of my consciousness how far the strip has come visually. I mean, I always end up noticing them after I've been told (how did I miss those thicker fingers at first?!?) but I started liking the strip when the visuals were much rougher and it was all about the jokes and the story, so maybe I got in the habit of paying more attention to the words than the drawings.

If it makes you feel any better, I also missed the "noodle" style at first. When 947 came out I could tell that something was different, but couldn't put my finger on just what that was.

I felt very silly when I realized.

Lissou
2015-06-03, 02:53 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I also missed the "noodle" style at first. When 947 came out I could tell that something was different, but couldn't put my finger on just what that was.

I felt very silly when I realized.

I noticed the larger size (and I think the different font was then, too) but yeah, had absolutely no clue about the noodle arms for the first few strips. Only realised they were there because I ended up seeing posts about them.

BannedInSchool
2015-06-03, 04:10 PM
Whoa. Their eyes are different sizes/shapes too.

:smallbiggrin:

Wolfram
2015-06-03, 04:32 PM

I've seen similar results with a German Shepherd and a Jack Russel Terrorist the size of his head.

Quild
2015-06-03, 05:14 PM
Blackwing wants to know if he'll play the lottery?
Not if he'll win it?

I shall imagine this: Blackwing is fascinated by the idea of winning many shinies, and he has wanted to play for a while, but when he first approached a vendor, he observed someone else using a scratch-off ticket. Suddenly, that person's copper piece slipped from their grip and fell down a hole, and they shrugged, took out another copper piece, and never attempted to regain the first one.

He suffered a nervous breakdown at such callous behavior, and he was inconsolable for days afterwards. Now, he would be happy just to conquer his trauma and rejoin the fascinating game.

I somehow expected an answer like "to play the lottery means to win it in english", but I like your answer.

Domino Quartz
2015-06-03, 05:21 PM
I've seen similar results with a German Shepherd and a Jack Russel Terrorist the size of his head.

Was it wearing a bomb vest and a ski mask? That could have been why. :smalltongue:

Emperordaniel
2015-06-03, 05:54 PM

Thanks to the typo, I'm not sure whether the German shepherd is supposed to be a dog or a person. :smalltongue:

dps
2015-06-03, 06:01 PM
I somehow expected an answer like "to play the lottery means to win it in english", but I like your answer.

Well, they do say that you can't win if you don't play, but no, "to play the lottery" by no means means to win it.

littlebum2002
2015-06-03, 06:22 PM
My dad ahad a little teeny mutt when he was a kid, and once it was getting bullied by a huge dog. The huge dog went to bite the little dog and the little dog waited until the very last send then snuck his head in the other dog's mouth and bit down on his tongue until he got flung off. The big dog never messed with him again.

Bulldog Psion
2015-06-03, 06:28 PM
Thanks to the typo, I'm not sure whether the German shepherd is supposed to be a dog or a person. :smalltongue:

You guys are cracking me up. :smallbiggrin:

ShaneWegner
2015-06-03, 08:25 PM
I wonder where Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator is?

zimmerwald1915
2015-06-03, 08:31 PM
He probably hasn't moved from V's and Blackwing's quarters. He seemed quite comfy.

Rogar Demonblud
2015-06-03, 11:03 PM
Mm, I see some similarities but perhaps it's an eye of the beholder thing; I always divided the comic book guys into "superpowers" or "no superpowers". (Perhaps in the case of the Blue Beetle it's more like "suit-per powers"..?) #allpunandgames

Actually, Watchmen was originally going to use the old Charlton Comics characters, but DC decided to leave them in cold storage. But you can still see Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, the Question, etc in the characters used in the graphic novel.

Coldwind
2015-06-04, 03:49 AM
I realized that Belkar is the main reason I keep reading this comic. Rest of them are just... boring. Maybe except V.

dmaxno
2015-06-04, 06:25 AM
That was funny throughout. Thanks Giant!

Yes, Wrecan looks a bit odd, but I feel the comic would not be the same if the art was significantly changed. Somehow the stick figures (or noodles, if you will) add something. I wouldn't trade it.

I also glad to see that the true power of Azure city still holds much of its power wherever they go.

kivzirrum
2015-06-04, 07:47 AM

Oh, dear. That sounds very scary, indeed.

F.Harr
2015-06-04, 01:59 PM
YAY! Scruffy's in charge!

And I hear a side plot approaching!

Wolfram
2015-06-05, 12:03 AM

That wasn't a typo. I started using that term after seeing JRTs bully big-ass pooches. It's sad when your GSD starts preemptively cowering at the sight of the two-bite dog around the corner.

Rodin
2015-06-06, 03:58 AM
All this talk about pets reminds me of two pet stories of my own...

My next door neighbor used to have a Chihuahua. This dog would fight ANYTHING, regardless of size, so she kept it indoors. One day though, she opened the door to get the mail, and the Chihuahua shot out...and fastened its teeth to the hind leg of a passing Great Dane.

She was sure that it was going to be the end of her little doggie, but the Great Dane calmly looked down at its leg, gave it a look that seemed to say "What the heck do you think you're doing?", shook the Chihuahua free, and continued on its merry way without a second glance.

The second story regards one of our cats, which were outdoor cats. We had already learned that outdoor cat > indoor dog from the various dogs out for walkies which had bounded up exuberantly and then been sent yiping away. In this case, we heard a commotion out front and looked outside to see our cat chasing another neighbors elderly Dalmatian. Problem was, the Dalmatian was on a leash at the time. Between the efforts of the dog to cower behind its owner, our neighbors effort to keep control of the dog, and our attempts to catch the cat, we eventually had our neighbor completely tied up with the leash. It was only then that the cat stood still long enough for us to drag her away.

Shendue
2015-06-07, 06:49 AM
Yeah, that was exactly it. It's like the poor Wrecan was cosplaying as Zod from Man of Steel. It's just a bit awkward, that's all.

LOL good one. XD

davidbofinger
2015-06-07, 08:41 AM
almost like his head is turned completely backwards.

"Mister Exorcist? After you've dealt with the vampire could you take a look at my bodyguard?"

rgd20
2015-06-07, 01:43 PM

Yeah, I assumed that the tiger was reacting to Bloodfeasts smell as well.

Wardog
2015-06-07, 03:24 PM
Little Whiskers must be a more coonventionally colourd relative of Cringer from the old Masters of the Universe cartoon.

BannedInSchool
2015-06-07, 04:09 PM
Little Whiskers must be a more coonventionally colourd relative of Cringer from the old Masters of the Universe cartoon.
Aha! That's what was tickling my memory but wouldn't surface. Little Whiskers just needs to be hit by lightning. :smallwink:

Deliverance
2015-06-07, 06:47 PM
Reread #989 when checking to see if there was an update and Veldrina's explanation to Little Whiskers when trying to convince the tiger to board the ship and her "I think I got a defective Tiger" still bring a chuckle. Wrecan's followup is almost as fun.

While Belkar's antics occasionally make me grin, the comedy duo beats him hands down in the comedy department where I am concerned.

D.One
2015-06-08, 02:35 PM

Oh, dear. That sounds very scary, indeed.

Yeah, a Jack Russel Terrorist sounds really scary. But, thinking of it, imagine how scarier would a Kurt Russell Terrorist be? With snakes?

"Mister Exorcist? After you've dealt with the vampire could you take a look at my bodyguard?"

LOL

Aha! That's what was tickling my memory but wouldn't surface. Little Whiskers just needs to be hit by lightning. :smallwink:

Well, wehther that's the solution for Durkon's vampire problems (Thor will send the lightning to transform Little Whiskers in Battle Cat, and Durkon will be transformed along), or Wrecan will draw his sword and transform into He-Man...

BannedInSchool
2015-06-08, 04:51 PM
Yeah, a Jack Russel Terrorist sounds really scary. But, thinking of it, imagine how scarier would a Kurt Russell Terrorist be? With snakes?
I think I'm going to have a nightmare about a Kurt Russell Terrier now. :smalleek:

Skull the Troll
2015-06-09, 08:16 AM
I think I'm going to have a nightmare about a Kurt Russell Terrier now. :smalleek:

Its definitely going to have a Snake Pliskin eyepatch.

BannedInSchool
2015-06-09, 09:25 AM
Its definitely going to have a Snake Pliskin eyepatch.
And a mullet.

D.One
2015-06-09, 09:44 AM
And a mullet.

And it will chase you and you won't be able to Escape from New York.

Dun dun DUUNNNN!

BannedInSchool
2015-06-09, 01:27 PM
I imagine you could breed a terrier to have a natural eyepatch fur marking and a mane/mullet. The world can be a scary place.

Ornithologist
2015-06-09, 08:06 PM
Man, this Kurt Russel thing just keeps Soldiering on. Maybe if we keep this thread in the Grindhouse, we can Stargate out of here.

BannedInSchool
2015-06-09, 08:15 PM
Whoa, let's not go Overboard here.

Rogar Demonblud
2015-06-09, 08:56 PM
Next thing you know we'll be dancing a Tango for a Cash prize.

Wolfram
2015-06-09, 09:56 PM
Man, this Kurt Russel thing just keeps Soldiering on. Maybe if we keep this thread in the Grindhouse, we can Stargate out of here.

Don't you mean "this Kurt Russel Thing?"

dmaxno
2015-06-10, 02:25 AM
Could Wrecan's owl neck be on purpose?
I just noticed that in the same panel where Wrecan turns his head like an owl, V is also looking back but with hisher body at an angle that makes it look a lot more natural.

Quild
2015-06-10, 05:01 AM
Could Wrecan's owl neck be on purpose?
I just noticed that in the same panel where Wrecan turns his head like an owl, V is also looking back but with hisher body at an angle that makes it look a lot more natural.

Hardly.

The reason for Wrecan's owl neck is probably that Giant doesn't like to represent characters from behind, especially when they're talking. It does happen, but it's quite rare. I'd say Giant applies the same kind of rules that exists in theater.

In the fourth panel of #984 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0984.html), Roy's has a position that's quite weird as well. He's looking behind him while walking. Also when any character walks on the left or right, he's almost facing us.
For this reason I believe characters often have the left food ahead while walking right and right food ahead while walking wrong left. You can see this with Roy's boots (the biggest if the closest from us if I'm not mistaken). Which leads to two other weird things in art:
- knowing which leg is the right and which is the left gives some weird moves from Roy.
- When character are walking during two or more consecutive panels, their feet position doesn't change. Look at Roy in #401 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0401.html) for one instance among many others.

Sooo, on purpose? Hardly.
Why do we notice this one more than many others? Maybe because Wrecan has no (drawed) chin.

D.One
2015-06-10, 07:27 AM

Yeah, maybe so. But we would always be able to MacGyver our way back...

Don't you mean "this Kurt Russel Thing?"

Well, Terror is after all what that Thing is all about...

dmaxno
2015-06-10, 07:37 AM
Quild, I disagree in your interpretation. You compare panels as 'comparably awkward', which I think are not (Roy in 984 vs Wrecan in 989). You noted the position of the feet in 401 as problematic, but to me that always was Roy walking along. I still think Wrecan's position is more than the lack of a chin (just different opinions there, I do not expect you to go digging for more instances). As I see it, the fact that both eyes are visible implies (with some inaccuracy) the direction of the chin.
I do however, see that the Giant is trying to do something similar to theatre,as you pointed out. As dar as i can see, the characters are very often facing the public/reader, or at least somewhat turned in that direction. The giant may just have been casual about Wrecan's body and still drawn Wrecan's face to face the reader.
What I am saying is that the Giant could have used the same angle/technique for Wrecan as he did for V in that same panel. I acknowledge (and enjoy) the limitations of stick figures, but this was not necessarily a limitation. This leaves me wondering if there's a chance this is on purpose.

Aasimar
2015-06-10, 01:22 PM
I just realized, if something were to happen and the comic were to stop, it would be Stares and Stripes Forever

Quild
2015-06-10, 01:37 PM
Quild, I disagree in your interpretation. You compare panels as 'comparably awkward', which I think are not (Roy in 984 vs Wrecan in 989). You noted the position of the feet in 401 as problematic, but to me that always was Roy walking along. I still think Wrecan's position is more than the lack of a chin (just different opinions there, I do not expect you to go digging for more instances). As I see it, the fact that both eyes are visible implies (with some inaccuracy) the direction of the chin.
I do however, see that the Giant is trying to do something similar to theatre,as you pointed out. As dar as i can see, the characters are very often facing the public/reader, or at least somewhat turned in that direction. The giant may just have been casual about Wrecan's body and still drawn Wrecan's face to face the reader.
What I am saying is that the Giant could have used the same angle/technique for Wrecan as he did for V in that same panel. I acknowledge (and enjoy) the limitations of stick figures, but this was not necessarily a limitation. This leaves me wondering if there's a chance this is on purpose.

You completely missed what I was talking about.

Haelriia
2015-06-10, 03:20 PM
That was about one panel. Besides, Roy is a planner and tactician. Besides, Unspoken Plan Guarantee.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnspokenPlanGuarantee

You fiend! 3 hours! THREE HOURS I will never get back! And I'd been clean for over a year, too. How can you do this to random people on the internet?

Rogar Demonblud
2015-06-10, 04:33 PM
Because drow like tormenting people?

Ornithologist
2015-06-10, 09:23 PM
Really, this whole thread is big trouble in little China.

I'm done, I promise.

Back on point, Little Whiskers reminds me of Hobbes.

Reboot
2015-06-10, 10:01 PM
Back on point, Little Whiskers reminds me of Hobbes.

Uh...welll....they're both...orange tigers, I suppose?

littlebum2002
2015-06-11, 10:39 AM
Uh...welll....they're both...orange tigers, I suppose?

And pretty cowardly

Xihirli
2015-06-11, 11:47 AM
Because drow like tormenting people?

Heh heh heh... true.
But also, that's a viscous stereotype.

Geodude6
2015-06-11, 01:56 PM
But they're not wrong.

Snails
2015-06-11, 03:28 PM
Drow are known to be slow and gooey?

And is that an intentional double entendre?

ti'esar
2015-06-11, 03:43 PM
Heh heh heh... true.

But they're not wrong.

The fact that you both have the same "DrowGuy" avatar makes this conversation about 19 percent more amusing.

Xihirli
2015-06-11, 03:52 PM
Drow are known to be slow and gooey?

And is that an intentional double entendre?

When did anyone ever say "slow and gooey?"

The fact that you both have the same "DrowGuy" avatar makes this conversation about 19 percent more amusing.

The other one is a fake. Geodude doesn't have HALF the fascination with scimitars I have.

dancrilis
2015-06-11, 03:56 PM

viscous: having a thick, sticky consistency between solid and liquid; having a high viscosity

Geodude6
2015-06-11, 04:06 PM
The other one is a fake. Geodude doesn't have HALF the fascination with scimitars I have.

This is true. I'm really just a rock.

Snails
2015-06-11, 09:22 PM

Heh heh heh... true.

Well...

vis·cous
ˈviskəs
adjective
having a thick, sticky consistency between solid and liquid; having a high viscosity.
"viscous lava"
synonyms: glutinous, gelatinous, thick, viscid, mucous, mucoid, mucilaginous, gummy, gluey, adhesive, tacky, adherent, treacly, syrupy;

;)

As for the double entendre, a "vicious stereotype" has its obvious meaning, but could also be parsed as "stereotyped as being vicious".