PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 4: It's Happening!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Antonok
2015-06-02, 10:15 AM
Ok so now that it IS in fact confirmed, here's what we have.

Screenshot:
http://0cb8dd5d2dc142d08f0f-eb3b436d25971e5860b39e72b0600342.r94.cf1.rackcdn.c om/images/Geaf9f_EP5ab.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=71&v=Lnn2rJpjar4

Official site is still not up but it does seem to be next gen/pc. Site is up (http://fallout4.com/) and it is only for ps4/xbone/pc.

Will fully premier on the 14th at E3.

Boston confirmed!
At 2:04 you can se a golden dome...
And here it is:
http://www.boston-discovery-guide.com/image-files/massachusetts-state-house-1.jpg

Notice also that there is the East Coast Brotherhood, equipped with Vertibirds, clearly taken from the Enclave after the events at the end of Fallout 3.
The huge airship is also a hint of Commonwealth/Institute presence, since Blade Runner was a huge inspiration and we can all make the connection between a futiristic airship and BR.

danzibr
2015-06-02, 10:35 AM
I'd better pick up my old file for 3...

thorgrim29
2015-06-02, 10:35 AM
X-COM 2 and Fallout 4 in the same week? Christ are they trying to get people to preorder before the Steam Summer sales?

boomwolf
2015-06-02, 11:23 AM
Well, it's working.

Morty
2015-06-02, 11:31 AM
Interesting. If it is Fallout 4, I wonder what direction they'll take it in. I don't think the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. and V.A.T.S. system were ever good fits for a TEST-style first-person engine. So I feel they should pick one or the other.

Chen
2015-06-02, 11:36 AM
Interesting. If it is Fallout 4, I wonder what direction they'll take it in. I don't think the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. and V.A.T.S. system were ever good fits for a TEST-style first-person engine. So I feel they should pick one or the other.

I was super skeptical at first but overall I really enjoyed both FO3 and New Vegas. They were both quite popular too so I suspect they're going to continue in that vein. The fact they're as mod friendly as TES games is a huge boon. Granted if you could make a game like FO2 that was just as moddable as FO3/New Vegas I'd definitely be in for that. Wasteland 2 tried to do the same type of thing but I wasn't particularly impressed with how it pulled it off.

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-02, 11:37 AM
I am now every intrigued. I do hope it is for Fallout 4. I also wonder if they will stick with the normal level up system versus maybe switching to a skills level up style like the TES series.

Narkis
2015-06-02, 11:55 AM
I hope Obsidian has some involvement with the project, or gets the engine to make their own spinoff. New Vegas was so much better than Fallout 3.

Morty
2015-06-02, 11:59 AM
I was super skeptical at first but overall I really enjoyed both FO3 and New Vegas. They were both quite popular too so I suspect they're going to continue in that vein. The fact they're as mod friendly as TES games is a huge boon. Granted if you could make a game like FO2 that was just as moddable as FO3/New Vegas I'd definitely be in for that. Wasteland 2 tried to do the same type of thing but I wasn't particularly impressed with how it pulled it off.

I liked them too - New Vegas more than FO3. But looking back, I do think there's some incompatibility that they should address.

Gray Mage
2015-06-02, 12:01 PM
I too hope for something more like New Vegas than FO3. I'm also hoping for a Commonwealth/Boston setting. Chicago would be nice too, with a Gangster faction.

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-02, 12:02 PM
I too hope for something more like New Vegas than FO3. I'm also hoping for a Commonwealth/Boston setting. Chicago would be nice too, with a Gangster faction.

Chicago has already been done however. That setting was done in Fallout Tactics.

Antonok
2015-06-02, 12:09 PM
I'm hoping for FO 3 like story, but keep NV's combat/overworld style.

Or just get the people who made Old World Blues to do everything. Still by far one of the best dlc.

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-02, 12:12 PM
One thing i hope is Fallout 4 will be as packed as 3 was, and not so baren as NV was. NV did feel to empty to me at times.

Winthur
2015-06-02, 12:27 PM
Chicago has already been done however. That setting was done in Fallout Tactics.

Fallout Tactics is non-canon due to being outsourced to a third-party company. Good game, makes the best use of SPECIAL in the series (somehow), but still.

I hope Obsidian has some involvement with the project.

Unlikely after the whole "84 on Metacritic" fiasco.

They should pick turn-based with isometric/top-down view. :smalltongue:
The SPECIAL system worked mostly fine, IMHO, except Perception didn't work for some reason and especially NV rendered it a rather superfluous skill (except for perk requirements). Best thing about VATS is that you can play without it or just use it whenever you're fighting an enemy that refuses to align with the crosshairs.

They'll probably employ a taste of each of those - after all, it's the lazy "Modders will fix it" Bethesda, and both systems are popular and especially SPECIAL defines Fallout - so long as it avoids being Skyrimified it might turn out to be playable.

Anyway, an interesting bit of news is that someone's CSS digging found a line that suggests it will be cross-gen, and some also have mentioned "fallout-3". Maybe it's Fallout 3 Remastered, but probably the only thing that needs remastering is the abortion of a storyline.

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-02, 12:47 PM
Fallout Tactics is non-canon due to being outsourced to a third-party company. Good game, makes the best use of SPECIAL in the series (somehow), but still.

while it may have been done by a third party it is still canon, thanks to the fact that you can talk to Scribe Jameson in Fallout 3 about the topic of Chicago, and he explains certain things that happened in Tactics.

Winthur
2015-06-02, 01:00 PM
while it may have been done by a third party it is still canon, thanks to the fact that you can talk to Scribe Jameson in Fallout 3 about the topic of Chicago, and he explains certain things that happened in Tactics.

Certainly not the furry deathclaws, though.

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-02, 01:02 PM
Certainly not the furry deathclaws, though.

well i believe that was artist representation versus actually being what they looked like. Though i do believe it is possible the intelligent Deathclaws still live.

Winthur
2015-06-02, 01:04 PM
well i believe that was artist representation versus actually being what they looked like. Though i do believe it is possible the intelligent Deathclaws still live.

Fallout 2 implies them to have been left extinct, and according, at least, to FO Wiki, only some events of F:T are canon.

boomwolf
2015-06-02, 01:07 PM
You seriously expect consistency in wasteland mutants with possible alien involvement?

Furry deathclaws might be just a random breed that lived there. Nothing too complex.

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-02, 01:07 PM
don't forget however that at least 1 intelligent deathclaw survived fallout 2 Goris. His Dna could be the reason that the Intelligent Deathclaws were around in Tactics. Also I have to ask if we are only taking main company made fallout games as Canon then NV should not count either given Obsidian was a third party company as well.

He is right also the furry deathclaws could have been simply a different breed of deathclaw.

Driderman
2015-06-02, 01:15 PM
You seriously expect consistency in wasteland mutants with possible alien involvement?

Furry deathclaws might be just a random breed that lived there. Nothing too complex.

Deathclaws were mutated from Horned Jackson Chameleons. No Aliens Involved. I don't think Chameleons grow fur, do they?

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-02, 01:18 PM
Deathclaws were mutated from Horned Jackson Chameleons. No Aliens Involved. I don't think Chameleons grow fur, do they?

But who is to truly know what Mutations may come from certain breeds.

LibraryOgre
2015-06-02, 01:19 PM
Hopeful, of course, as I enjoyed the two modern Fallout games (and the two older ones, in different ways). But not holding my breath.

Morty
2015-06-02, 03:06 PM

I'd play a game that uses Fallout Tactic's mechanics with a good plot.

They should pick turn-based with isometric/top-down view. :smalltongue:
The SPECIAL system worked mostly fine, IMHO, except Perception didn't work for some reason and especially NV rendered it a rather superfluous skill (except for perk requirements). Best thing about VATS is that you can play without it or just use it whenever you're fighting an enemy that refuses to align with the crosshairs.

They'll probably employ a taste of each of those - after all, it's the lazy "Modders will fix it" Bethesda, and both systems are popular and especially SPECIAL defines Fallout - so long as it avoids being Skyrimified it might turn out to be playable.

Anyway, an interesting bit of news is that someone's CSS digging found a line that suggests it will be cross-gen, and some also have mentioned "fallout-3". Maybe it's Fallout 3 Remastered, but probably the only thing that needs remastering is the abortion of a storyline.

The problem as I see it is a clash between random numbers and player agency. In the original Fallouts, you pointed, you clicked and the game rolled invisible dice. In FO3 and NV, the player has a lot more freedom. It's especially visible in combat.

Of course, even if they were to go back to an old-school isometric view, the system could use some cleaning up. Karma, for one, should die in a reasonably big fire.

Winthur
2015-06-02, 03:20 PM
I'd play a game that uses Fallout Tactic's mechanics with a good plot.
I'd play Fallout: Tactics 2, honestly, and the plot could very well take place entirely in Canada. F:T needs more love, and the multiplayer squad on squad battles are good for at least one LAN party.

Of course, even if they were to go back to an old-school isometric view, the system could use some cleaning up. Karma, for one, should die in a reasonably big fire.
The biggest problems with karma seem to have come with the Gamebryo games and the whole "killing a raider is OK, looting his camp isn't" schizophrenia. The system of reputation in different places and among different groups is good though.

Morty
2015-06-02, 05:30 PM
A universal good/evil morality system really has no place in a brutal post-apocalyptic setting, when you think about it. A reputation system for different groups and locations certainly does.

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-02, 05:32 PM
maybe maybe not, after all if it is known you are a good person wouldn't stand to reason that bandits and groups like the powder gangers are less likely to trust you.

MCerberus
2015-06-02, 06:34 PM
I'm hoping Chicago/Detroit, St. Louis, post-Ceasar Arizona, Oregon, or London.
Always want to see different parts of Falloutverse.

Antonok
2015-06-02, 07:01 PM
I'm hoping Chicago/Detroit, St. Louis, post-Ceasar Arizona, Oregon, or London.
Always want to see different parts of Falloutverse.

Boston seems to be the fan favorite overall.

I'd kind of like a multi city type. Have caravans that travel between different cities and whatnot. Doubt it will ever happen, but it'd be a nice change of pace. And it's not like we're not heading towards large download sizes. (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-pc-client-could-be-100-gb/1100-6425874/)

MCerberus
2015-06-02, 07:06 PM
Boston seems to be the fan favorite overall.

I'd kind of like a multi city type. Have caravans that travel between different cities and whatnot. Doubt it will ever happen, but it'd be a nice change of pace. And it's not like we're not heading towards large download sizes. (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-pc-client-could-be-100-gb/1100-6425874/)

I like Chicago/Detroit for multi-city (this is actually the setup for DC's Gotham and Metropolis), or maybe Pennsylvania if we just ignore that one DLC.

Gnoman
2015-06-02, 07:40 PM
The (cancelled) Fallout Tactics 2 was to have been set in Florida, which would be pretty cool. You could visit a NotDisney theme park and fight radioactive alligators.

Vizzerdrix
2015-06-02, 09:33 PM
One thing i hope is Fallout 4 will be as packed as 3 was, and not so baren as NV was. NV did feel to empty to me at times.

This. I'd also like to see the crafting overhauled a bit.

Dhavaer
2015-06-02, 09:58 PM
I'd like to see minimum skill levels for unlocking/hacking go away. Or at least not be at 100.

Vizzerdrix
2015-06-02, 11:00 PM
So more of a difficulty reducer instead of a skill wall sort of deal?

Gnoman
2015-06-02, 11:04 PM
I'd like to see minimum skill levels for unlocking/hacking go away. Or at least not be at 100.

That only works well if your chances to pull it off are pure probability - once a minigame gets involved you run the risk of making it too hard to unlock anything or else rendering the Lockpick skill useless because the minigame is almost effortless to complete. Hard skill walls make the skill relevant while still allowing the minigame to be set at a reasonable difficulty.

Dhavaer
2015-06-02, 11:21 PM
So more of a difficulty reducer instead of a skill wall sort of deal?

That's it. Same as Skyrim.

Togath
2015-06-02, 11:28 PM
While I don't know much about the fallout series(I've only tinkered with New Vegas a little), I personally would like to see a less wasteland setting. Forests or something. No reason you can't have mutants and nice scenery

Antonok
2015-06-03, 12:19 AM
While I don't know much about the fallout series(I've only tinkered with New Vegas a little), I personally would like to see a less wasteland setting. Forests or something. No reason you can't have mutants and nice scenery

3 is more along that lines. It might be a mod (been too long) but after you finish the main quest things start becoming green again.

Edit: And it was more based in a ruined city(Washington DC), not a desert like NV.

ArlEammon
2015-06-03, 01:51 AM
3 is more along that lines. It might be a mod (been too long) but after you finish the main quest things start becoming green again.

Edit: And it was more based in a ruined city(Washington DC), not a desert like NV.

There's swamp land if that counts. A lot of red necks who can out brutalize Super Mutants during an insanity contest.

DigoDragon
2015-06-03, 05:17 AM
I'd love to hear of a new Fallout game. Haven't played NV yet, but I'm really enjoying FO3's post-war world. Exploring ruins doesn't get old for me and it's really really nice to have an RPG-like game that isn't high fantasy.

I'd like it to be more like Skyrim where it still tells you the lock difficulty, but lets you try anyway if you're feeling gutsy.

Dhavaer
2015-06-03, 05:24 AM
I'd like it to be more like Skyrim where it still tells you the lock difficulty, but lets you try anyway if you're feeling gutsy.

Yes, just like that.

Morty
2015-06-03, 05:30 AM
maybe maybe not, after all if it is known you are a good person wouldn't stand to reason that bandits and groups like the powder gangers are less likely to trust you.

I don't see why they should care, except if you specifically did something to endanger their interests, or fought other raider bands. Which brings us right back to a reputation system being better than a universal karma system.

It bears the risk of running into the conflict between player skill and character skill, though. I don't think it's good if the player can brute-force their way through an obstacle their character doesn't have the necessary skills for.

Triaxx
2015-06-03, 05:38 AM
Give me a skill wall with the option to blow the lock off with the often hilarious amount of high explosives I'm lugging around. Problem solved.

DigoDragon
2015-06-03, 05:52 AM
Give me a skill wall with the option to blow the lock off with the often hilarious amount of high explosives I'm lugging around. Problem solved.

This certainly would give me something to do with the 43 land mines I have sitting around my home in Megaton. XD

GloatingSwine
2015-06-03, 06:44 AM
This certainly would give me something to do with the 43 land mines I have sitting around my home in Megaton. XD

You can sell them for caps you'll never spend. Land mines are, IIRC, one of the best profit to weight ratio items. (though I think the best profit scheme is manufacturing dart guns)

boomwolf
2015-06-03, 08:14 AM
Profit in fallout is hardly necessary though, given that by the end of the first two hours you can fund a small scale war with the amount of guns and ammo you are likely packing.

GloatingSwine
2015-06-03, 08:47 AM
It bears the risk of running into the conflict between player skill and character skill, though. I don't think it's good if the player can brute-force their way through an obstacle their character doesn't have the necessary skills for.

On the other hand, the player will always be able to do that with the combat, why should non-combat obstacles be less sensitive to player input?

Antonok
2015-06-03, 08:50 AM
Someone at Bethesda got a little trigger happy and put the official Fallout 4 site up a bit early :smallamused:

From the glimpse they got, it's next gen/pc only (dammit), and here's a screenshot:

http://0cb8dd5d2dc142d08f0f-eb3b436d25971e5860b39e72b0600342.r94.cf1.rackcdn.c om/images/Geaf9f_EP5ab.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Will know more in 10 mins.

ObadiahtheSlim
2015-06-03, 08:54 AM
That's it. I'm getting tickets for the hype train. (http://static1.squarespace.com/static/54d703d3e4b05ca7b54e8ff6/t/555aa8f8e4b05d23afa3cbeb/1432004876275/)

Antonok
2015-06-03, 09:05 AM
VIDEO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnn2rJpjar4

And was that an airship I spied? Just a regular ship :smallfrown: But there is a helicopter. Dammit, now there IS an airship @ 1:56!

Vizzerdrix
2015-06-03, 09:13 AM
Yes do want now!

Kalmageddon
2015-06-03, 09:19 AM
Boston confirmed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnn2rJpjar4 At 2:04 you can se a golden dome...
And here it is:
http://www.boston-discovery-guide.com/image-files/massachusetts-state-house-1.jpg

Notice also that there is the East Coast Brotherhood, equipped with Vertibirds, clearly taken from the Enclave after the events at the end of Fallout 3.
The huge airship is also a hint of Commonwealth/Institute presence, since Blade Runner was a huge inspiration and we can all make the connection between a futiristic airship and BR.

Antonok
2015-06-03, 09:19 AM
Anyone pick up any clues as to where it's set? From what I can see it's back to Washington DC...

Question was answered before I asked.

Hexalan
2015-06-03, 09:42 AM
Fallout 4!
I think Three Dog's voice actor mentioned Boston once, a long, long time ago, so I was not surprised by the setting, though I was hoping for something back west.

The flyers interest me. If we could actually get in Vertibirds or airships...

thorgrim29
2015-06-03, 10:11 AM
Am I crazy or did that sound like Mark Meer (AKA Cmdr Shepard) in the trailer?

DigoDragon
2015-06-03, 11:24 AM
You can sell them for caps you'll never spend. Land mines are, IIRC, one of the best profit to weight ratio items. (though I think the best profit scheme is manufacturing dart guns)

I've been making artistic traps against raiders with them. Also learned that leaning over a catwalk means you can drop them down below on someone's head. :D

VIDEO!

Woohoo, yes please! :D

Vault 111 eh? Wow, if there is something this video really instilled in me... it's that I've been playing FO3 for months and haven't found Dogmeat yet. :smallredface:
If two somethings, that I like playing Fallout games.

The Extinguisher
2015-06-03, 12:20 PM
Excuse me, I'm going to go freeze myself until this game comes out.

Gnoman
2015-06-03, 12:58 PM
Boston confirmed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnn2rJpjar4 At 2:04 you can se a golden dome...
And here it is:

Structure on top of the dome's a little different, and Boston's not the only place with a gilded dome - there's ones in Atlanta, Georgia; Hartford, Connecticut; Charleston, West Virginia; several other state capitols; and Notre Dame University in Indiana. Boston's a lot more likely from what we see in the trailer, but it's a bit early to call it confirmed.

Morty
2015-06-03, 01:01 PM
On the other hand, the player will always be able to do that with the combat, why should non-combat obstacles be less sensitive to player input?

That is true. It's the conflict between character agency and player agency that I mentioned. I guess they should pick one point of balance between them and stick to it, rather than have it be different for different skills.

Gray Mage
2015-06-03, 01:10 PM
Structure on top of the dome's a little different, and Boston's not the only place with a gilded dome - there's ones in Atlanta, Georgia; Hartford, Connecticut; Charleston, West Virginia; several other state capitols; and Notre Dame University in Indiana. Boston's a lot more likely from what we see in the trailer, but it's a bit early to call it confirmed.

Game news sites like IGN have been saying it's Boston. Not sure if they have more information or a just assuming, though.

Derthric
2015-06-03, 01:13 PM
Why yes Bethesda you can have all my money. Was it all cinematic rendered or was some of that really a vertical slice of the game?

Oh and what looks like airship engines on the USS Constitution, oh yes please.

Gnoman
2015-06-03, 01:25 PM
Game news sites like IGN have been saying it's Boston. Not sure if they have more information or a just assuming, though.

Boston does look likely, I just think we can't call it confirmed quite yet.

LibraryOgre
2015-06-03, 01:31 PM
That's it. Same as Skyrim.

I kinda like the Oblivion solution, myself.

DigoDragon
2015-06-03, 01:35 PM
If it is Boston, wonder if they'll include MIT and Easter egg some of their infamous 'hacks' (http://hacks.mit.edu/). :smallbiggrin:

I kinda like the Oblivion solution, myself.

I haven't played that one yet. How does it work?

LibraryOgre
2015-06-03, 01:37 PM
I haven't played that one yet. How does it work?

Basically, locks are up to 5 tumblers. Your skill level determines how many tumblers fall back into place if you fail. If you want to skip the minigame, you can just hit "auto", which improves your skill slowly (and at a cost of more lockpicks).

So someone really good at the minigame, or with a lot of lockpicks, can just auto through.

And viewing the video, does anyone else wish you could play as the dog?

Mando Knight
2015-06-03, 01:51 PM
If it is Boston, wonder if they'll include MIT and Easter egg some of their infamous 'hacks' (http://hacks.mit.edu/). :smallbiggrin:

The Commonwealth (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Commonwealth) is known for its Institute (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Institute), yes.

ArlEammon
2015-06-03, 02:27 PM
VIDEO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnn2rJpjar4

And was that an airship I spied? Just a regular ship :smallfrown: But there is a helicopter. Dammit, now there IS an airship @ 1:56!

Fallout 4!
I think Three Dog's voice actor mentioned Boston once, a long, long time ago, so I was not surprised by the setting, though I was hoping for something back west.

The flyers interest me. If we could actually get in Vertibirds or airships...

I wonder if this a Pre-quel, or even a timey wimey wibbly wobbly version of Fallout? To me it looks like "just after" the Great War, maybe hitting just decades after, instead of two hundred years after.

But Hexalan, I'm hoping they do a Fallout that covers a larger area. Maybe more than a couple of states. Instead of just Nevada, or Washington.

DigoDragon
2015-06-03, 02:37 PM
Basically, locks are up to 5 tumblers. Your skill level determines how many tumblers fall back into place if you fail. If you want to skip the minigame, you can just hit "auto", which improves your skill slowly (and at a cost of more lockpicks).

Okay, that sounds reasonable to me.

And viewing the video, does anyone else wish you could play as the dog?

Fallout 4: The Dog Days of Nuclear Summer

Playing as the dog in Fallout would be pretty amusing. Latch onto a raider's leg and shake them down! Bury your landmines across the wasteland! Mark your territory to ward off pesky deathclaws!

But Hexalan, I'm hoping they do a Fallout that covers a larger area. Maybe more than a couple of states. Instead of just Nevada, or Washington.

If they make the game as a 64-bit only application, it could sport a really huge map. I think?

ArlEammon
2015-06-03, 02:52 PM
Okay, that sounds reasonable to me.

Playing as the dog in Fallout would be pretty amusing. Latch onto a raider's leg and shake them down! Bury your landmines across the wasteland! Mark your territory to ward off pesky deathclaws!

If they make the game as a 64-bit only application, it could sport a really huge map. I think?

There's a fan game based on Phoenix, Arizona. . . now that the Legion is receding, perhaps we could have a post-Caesar Arizona, at least seen during Fallout 4, if not starting there. It would be like another Apocalypse happening. (Because the Caesar's Legion are butt holes)).

Avilan the Grey
2015-06-03, 03:00 PM
I still dream of Fallout: Hawaii.

ArlEammon
2015-06-03, 03:12 PM
I still dream of Fallout: Hawaii.

What's left of Hawaii probably can't house more than a family of five.

Hexalan
2015-06-03, 03:13 PM
I wonder if this a Pre-quel, or even a timey wimey wibbly wobbly version of Fallout? To me it looks like "just after" the Great War, maybe hitting just decades after, instead of two hundred years after.

I thought they were just showcasing the pre-war folks to exposition-ify the setting to people who don't really like Fallout, or forget in the five years since the last game. Whats-his-face mentioned that the Vertibirds were Brotherhood-controlled, and that could only really have happened post-F3. All the games have been steadily moving forward, anyway.

I don't think that's likely, just because if you have too much space it's harder to fill it up with things, but I'm thinking there might be a DLC or two back west. Maybe the Capital Brotherhood will fly you out to Chicago in one of their airships.

Gamerlord
2015-06-03, 03:16 PM
If I had to take a completely random guess, the pre-war sequence will be the tutorial, showcasing either an ancestor of the main character (Assuming a traditional Vault), or the actual main character if the rumors about the player awakening in some form of cryogenic vault at the start of the game are true.

ArlEammon
2015-06-03, 03:21 PM
I thought they were just showcasing the pre-war folks to exposition-ify the setting to people who don't really like Fallout, or forget in the five years since the last game. Whats-his-face mentioned that the Vertibirds were Brotherhood-controlled, and that could only really have happened post-F3. All the games have been steadily moving forward, anyway.

I don't think that's likely, just because if you have too much space it's harder to fill it up with things, but I'm thinking there might be a DLC or two back west. Maybe the Capital Brotherhood will fly you out to Chicago in one of their airships.

Well Fallout, even with all it's ingenuity can't take place in all 50 states. But Fallout 3 took place in a very large area. You still have a point about certain things. . . like, expanding from from Virginia to Arizona, not plausible, but maybe Kentucky, Tennessee, Carolinas, and such. (West Virginia being "And such")

It's been five years since Fallout 3, so I wonder how much better this technology will make things.

Vizzerdrix
2015-06-03, 03:50 PM
I want an expansion that gets into Maine. Maybe the Brotherhood wants mercs to retake Bath Ironworks Shipyard so they can get a coastal foot hold. Think about it: as the PC arrives, they are beset by deathclaws, who are fleeing from mutated moose! Also monstrous lobsters would be a thing. Lobstrosities?

LibraryOgre
2015-06-03, 03:51 PM

I also want to play a squirrel in a Skyrim-like game... a game where you have basically no combat capabilities, and have to solve things using a 1 pound carry capacity, speed, and the ability to talk.

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-03, 04:03 PM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/e4/e406598190525e2cb8d38a82d908cbd26553c4ef496f14755e 85ec0bcd4bd6f0.jpg

Does anyone else get the vibe that There may be some time travel or flash backs to the Prewar era?

Vizzerdrix
2015-06-03, 04:20 PM
http://content.bethsoft.com/bsw_cms_asset/47158_2_0.jpg

The poster on the right side. It has 7 yellow headers. Could it be a preview of the S.P.E.C.I.A.L system and a perk spoiler? Can someone zoom it in any more?

Also I'm seeing skill mags, several familiar items. A pip boy on the work bench. Laser rifle on the wall. Mini gun under the sheet. A Bobble head. Some chems and food stuffs above the foot of the bed on a shelf. A Mister handy busted up on the floor. And what is that junk gun on the left? is it the one from the end of the vid?

Come, speculate with me brothers!

Gnoman
2015-06-03, 04:36 PM

I'd almost prefer the opposite - a smaller (in geographic terms) map that's closer to 1:1 scale of an entire city (instead of just parts of one) and extremely detailed.

Antonok
2015-06-03, 04:52 PM
http://content.bethsoft.com/bsw_cms_asset/47158_2_0.jpg

The poster on the right side. It has 7 yellow headers. Could it be a preview of the S.P.E.C.I.A.L system and a perk spoiler? Can someone zoom it in any more?

Don't know about the perks, but it definitely is a SPECIAL poster. Length of the letter and the pictures just below the strength and agility ones give it away (body builder for strength and him balancing on one arm).

Vizzerdrix
2015-06-03, 05:10 PM
Don't know about the perks, but it definitely is a SPECIAL poster. Length of the letter and the pictures just below the strength and agility ones give it away (body builder for strength and him balancing on one arm).

Your right. 11 pics under each heading. If the top most is representative of the stat itself, then the other 10 could be for your level in each stat. I'll hook up to my big tv later and see what I can see.

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-03, 05:19 PM
I hope that with the way that Garage looks that Crafting will be a big part of the game.

DigoDragon
2015-06-03, 05:34 PM
Does anyone else get the vibe that There may be some time travel or flash backs to the Prewar era?

I think it's just the trailer. Might have a flash back in it. ;)

I hope that with the way that Garage looks that Crafting will be a big part of the game.

Rock-It Launcher was a fun way to burn extra trash in your inventory, but the Shishkebab never goes out of style. ^_^

Antonok
2015-06-03, 05:44 PM

Not entirely out of the question. They're always able to make quests like Operation Anchorage DLC from 3.

GloatingSwine
2015-06-03, 07:21 PM
I'd almost prefer the opposite - a smaller (in geographic terms) map that's closer to 1:1 scale of an entire city (instead of just parts of one) and extremely detailed.

I agree.

A world that's of similar size but deeper, in plot, character, and variety would be preferable to "and now copypaste this subway line and/or collection of shacks fifteen more times".

LibraryOgre
2015-06-03, 07:27 PM

I agree.

A world that's of similar size but deeper, in plot, character, and variety would be preferable to "and now copypaste this subway line and/or collection of shacks fifteen more times".

Wasn't Skyrim supposed to be about 6 square miles (http://www.quora.com/How-large-is-Skyrims-overworld)? That makes it about 1/8th the size of the city of Boston... to say nothing of Cambridge and all the other adjacent cities.

Togath
2015-06-03, 11:01 PM
I'm personally hoping it'll be set at least as far along the timeline as New Vegas. I really like "finally recovering from some sort of end of the world scenario" settings, where civilization has finally started to organize itself again.

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-03, 11:07 PM
That was the way it was even in Fallout 3 but you also have to take into account the Capital wasteland was far more Radioactive then the Mojave or even the West Coast. They had G.E.C.K.s and used them. While The Capital it would seem did not or had not yet, also their vaults were far more destroyed the then West Coast ones.

Hey Digo you said you had not found Dogmeat yet right? He is in the Scrapyard near Minefield.

Gnoman
2015-06-03, 11:10 PM
Wasn't Skyrim supposed to be about 6 square miles (http://www.quora.com/How-large-is-Skyrims-overworld)? That makes it about 1/8th the size of the city of Boston... to say nothing of Cambridge and all the other adjacent cities.

I'm perfectly happy with the map itself being bigger, I'd just prefer it to be all one city (the entire map being the ruins of Boston, for example) instead of tiny representations of a bunch of them.

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-03, 11:15 PM
on the map I would find it increasingly dull if it was just a city. We should see some more open areas to. just not as barren as NV.

ArlEammon
2015-06-03, 11:16 PM

Fifteen miles, about, or around there. Even those fifteen miles, though, represent much larger territory. The fifteen/six mile symbology is represented by how much game space surrounds the Dragonborn on land. So, if the Dragonborn had to walk/run/horseride across all Skyrim's area, it would be about 15 miles, but represent something more like a real nation, like the U.K or maybe smaller for Skyrim alone. Tamriel would probably be twice the size of Texas I think.

Morty
2015-06-04, 05:04 AM

I'd say I hope not, but... I know better than that. So I just hope it's not too terrible.

DomaDoma
2015-06-04, 05:21 AM
Well, I am TES-exclusive, and simply because there are only so many hours in the day I probably always will be, but this is great news anyway, as knowing game six won't be announced any time soon allows me to devote this month firmly to Magna Carta. Thanks, Bethesda, for taking the edge off the conflict of interest there.

Eldan
2015-06-04, 05:49 AM
Meh?

Honestly, I was looking at this trailer, and what came to mind was "Fallout 3/New Vegas, but more of it". Which is... nice. But not exciting.

Excession
2015-06-04, 06:02 AM
Not judging the game itself, but I don't really like the trailer. It seems to be showing us too much, in too short a time, and the pacing is off or something. I think the first Fallout 3 teaser (https://youtu.be/HjnMIpgUzJ4), with just the slow zoom out from the radio to the ruins of DC and the BoS Paladin, was much better. The Fallout 4 trailer also has a lot of appealing to nostalgia, which I guess I can't really blame them for, but I hope the game has some new stuff in it as well.

Also, the first time that damn dog sets off a landmine that I just snuck past, he's getting left at home for good. :smallyuk:

Meh?

Honestly, I was looking at this trailer, and what came to mind was "Fallout 3/New Vegas, but more of it". Which is... nice. But not exciting.
Yeah, +1 to this basically. I found the XCOM 2 trailer far more exciting.

I'd say I hope not, but... I know better than that. So I just hope it's not too terrible.
I really hope crafting isn't like Skyrim. That reminded me of grinding crafting in World of Warcraft, and that is not a good thing.

Eldan
2015-06-04, 06:20 AM
What I noticed is that it seems to be a lot more colourfull than NV and especially FO3. Which I can get behind.

DigoDragon
2015-06-04, 06:48 AM
That was the way it was even in Fallout 3 but you also have to take into account the Capital wasteland was far more Radioactive then the Mojave or even the West Coast. They had G.E.C.K.s and used them. While The Capital it would seem did not or had not yet, also their vaults were far more destroyed the then West Coast ones.

The capitol wasteland had at least one GECK as seen in game, but it makes sense that the capitol was one of the hardest hit places by the nukes.

Hey Digo you said you had not found Dogmeat yet right? He is in the Scrapyard near Minefield.

I've wandered around that area, but the thing about wandering about is that I end up getting distracted by interesting sights and murderous raiders. Last time I went out that way I got abducted by aliens, so... :smallbiggrin:

What I noticed is that it seems to be a lot more colourfull than NV and especially FO3. Which I can get behind.

Yeah, I like that everything isn't some varying shade of brown or gray.

Excession
2015-06-04, 07:02 AM
That is indeed a good thing. The art direction reminds me of RAGE rather than Fallout 3. In fact...
http://ad610d58b352248e2f93-1208626020351f7332dce742e906c4bf.r19.cf1.rackcdn.c om/d5987a6928f546c743ea8483234ff569ec89b07a.jpg__0x52 9_q85_upscale.jpg
http://4d663a369f9f03c3c61e-870e77779efd63f7bd6c2ee08d8cfae6.r2.cf1.rackcdn.co m/images/tRPk9ioBEj-O.840x0.Vdef9Kkm.jpg
RAGE's post-apocalypse still clearly has more spray cans.
Fallout 4 has hover-dog though.

Morty
2015-06-04, 09:20 AM
I really hope crafting isn't like Skyrim. That reminded me of grinding crafting in World of Warcraft, and that is not a good thing.

Skyrim's crafting is horrid because of how it interacts with the skill advancement model - you can't possibly level the skills up by crafting what you need, so you need to churn out tons of crap. That, at least, Fallout spares us.

TheEmerged
2015-06-04, 10:27 AM
You think Skyrim's & WoW's crafting was bad? Original EverQuest and Ultima Online, you didn't even get skill numbers or have a recipe interface - if a combination failed, you didn't know if your skill was too low to try, it wasn't a valid recipe, or just a random failure :smallbiggrin:

So, Fallout 4 is announced. I guess that means I should stop my third playthru of Skyrim and get Fallout 3 off of Steam or something...

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-04, 10:49 AM
The capitol wasteland had at least one GECK as seen in game, but it makes sense that the capitol was one of the hardest hit places by the nukes.

The Capital Wasteland was hit harder, also thanks to the fact that House did Destroy some of the nukes that were coming to NV before they arrived. Thus why that area is far less Radioactive as well. Also The G.E.C.K. in 3 was only used to purify water not restore all life to a certain area.

I've wandered around that area, but the thing about wandering about is that I end up getting distracted by interesting sights and murderous raiders. Last time I went out that way I got abducted by aliens, so... :smallbiggrin:

:smalltongue: that is a bit to far north buddy. IF you really want Dogmeat just go back to the scrapyard and stay in the fenced area for a bit you will find him within 10 minutes.

Yeah, I like that everything isn't some varying shade of brown or gray.
This is something i completely agree with. The new color palete of this game seems to be nice. Though they still have dark and grim in certain areas it would seem.

You think Skyrim's & WoW's crafting was bad? Original EverQuest and Ultima Online, you didn't even get skill numbers or have a recipe interface - if a combination failed, you didn't know if your skill was too low to try, it wasn't a valid recipe, or just a random failure :smallbiggrin:

So, Fallout 4 is announced. I guess that means I should stop my third playthru of Skyrim and get Fallout 3 off of Steam or something...

The Skyrim system was not so bad, though it did have its faults. The simplest idea however to increase your skill was based on the value of the object that you made or improved.

ArlEammon
2015-06-04, 12:07 PM
Not judging the game itself, but I don't really like the trailer. It seems to be showing us too much, in too short a time, and the pacing is off or something. I think the first Fallout 3 teaser (https://youtu.be/HjnMIpgUzJ4), with just the slow zoom out from the radio to the ruins of DC and the BoS Paladin, was much better. The Fallout 4 trailer also has a lot of appealing to nostalgia, which I guess I can't really blame them for, but I hope the game has some new stuff in it as well.

Also, the first time that damn dog sets off a landmine that I just snuck past, he's getting left at home for good. :smallyuk:

Yeah, +1 to this basically. I found the XCOM 2 trailer far more exciting.

This is why, the things they showed in the trailer, tells me it's right after the bombs dropped, or at least, more like one hundred years at the MOST

DigoDragon
2015-06-04, 12:13 PM
Also The G.E.C.K. in 3 was only used to purify water not restore all life to a certain area.

True, but they still had a GECK, which answered the question. It didn't ask if the user instructions were followed or not. :smallbiggrin:

that is a bit to far north buddy. IF you really want Dogmeat just go back to the scrapyard and stay in the fenced area for a bit you will find him within 10 minutes.

I have yet to find the fenced area. Like I said, I get really distracted and lost wandering about in these types of games.

It took me 2 years to beat the main quest in Skyrim because of this very problem. :3

Morty
2015-06-04, 12:39 PM

Crafting systems are terrible by definition. There are simply degrees of how much.

Calemyr
2015-06-04, 01:29 PM
Crafting systems are terrible by definition. There are simply degrees of how much.

I'm afraid we disagree there. Crafting is one of my favorite parts of gaming. Designing and customizing my gear to my tastes, even the simple act of being able to name a weapon... It is, for me, one of the sweeter things of gaming life.

Gnoman
2015-06-04, 01:38 PM
My biggest complaints with crafting in Fallout 3 and NV were that there were too few recipes, those recipes were too rigid, the interface was poor, and there simply wasn't enough benefit to it. The first is easily fixed, the second is almost as easy (even though much more work would be required), while the latter two are more problematic.

The rigidity of the recipes was annoying because you had to have a specific item even when other items would logically have worked just as well - the nuka grenade, for example, worked only in Tin Cans, not Bent Tin Cans, empty bottles, or any other container, even though the Tin Can was just the container. Adding more flexibility would help a lot.

The poor interface was twofold -first there was the rather bad inventory system that made sorting your junk/crafting supplies a pain - this could be improved by a tagging system that flags an item into the "crafting" category once you know it works in a recipe, or similar. Second was the crafting menus themselves, which were overly cumbersome. These need reworked.

Finally, except for ammo crafting in NV, the gear you got via crafting simply wasn't good enough to bother with, with the sole exception of the Rock-It-Launcher (because ammunition for miniguns and such tended to be scarce early on). Ammo was far too plentiful, and the potential damage increase was marginal at best.

Morty
2015-06-04, 02:09 PM
I'm afraid we disagree there. Crafting is one of my favorite parts of gaming. Designing and customizing my gear to my tastes, even the simple act of being able to name a weapon... It is, for me, one of the sweeter things of gaming life.

Sure would be great if a crafting system actually did any of that, instead of adding additional busywork in the way of getting the stuff you'd find or buy.

Calemyr
2015-06-04, 02:38 PM
Sure would be great if a crafting system actually did any of that, instead of adding additional busywork in the way of getting the stuff you'd find or buy.

Skyrim allows you to craft, upgrade, enchant, and name weapons and armor. Dragon Age Inquisition lets you craft, upgrade, enchant, name, and even pick the colors of portions of gear.

Good crafting exists. Fallout 3 was pretty bad, but it was an early attempt at making craftable makeshift weaponry. New Vegas expanded on that. Not perfect, but a step in the right direction.

Is fallout crafting generally kinda sucky? Yeah. Do I agree that crafting by definition is pretty terrible. No.

MCerberus
2015-06-04, 05:33 PM
There's a lot of complaints that the trailer was too focused on nostalgia and not on excitement.

Yah, probably, and that's the point.
Nostalgia is shaping up to be the emotional core of FO4, just as the 'light in the darkness' and the wistful sadness and excitement of the end of an era before.

All the little touches, inflections, and flashbacks (even listen to the variation on the theme heard towards the end) seem to be pointing to looking back towards what was. Setting it in Boston is, in this context, an amazing choice for the American audience. Quite frankly, I'm glad Bethesda seems to be learning from NV on improving their thematics. There's a lot of room for a lot of emotions if they're building up to this.

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-04, 05:35 PM
Cerebus, umm Bethseda did not make NV, that was Obsidian...Though i do agree with you on everything else!

MCerberus
2015-06-04, 05:38 PM
Cerebus, umm Bethseda did not make NV, that was Obsidian...Though i do agree with you on everything else!

Doesn't mean they can't learn from it. I'm sure their CMs are really tired of hearing how much better the setting was in NV than 3

Excession
2015-06-04, 08:22 PM
There's a lot of complaints that the trailer was too focused on nostalgia and not on excitement.
To be more specific, the trailer has a lot of "here's this thing from Fallout 3, still in 4!". Deathclaw, mirelurk, vault door opening, collapsed highway overpass, dog, power armour, vertibirds, even the same slow zoom out from (inexplicably clean, let alone working) TV screen while an Inkspots song plays to start the trailer. Hopefully at E3 they'll show us what's new about Fallout 4, rather than what hasn't changed since 3.

Kalmageddon
2015-06-05, 05:01 AM
To be more specific, the trailer has a lot of "here's this thing from Fallout 3, still in 4!". Deathclaw, mirelurk, vault door opening, collapsed highway overpass, dog, power armour, vertibirds, even the same slow zoom out from (inexplicably clean, let alone working) TV screen while an Inkspots song plays to start the trailer. Hopefully at E3 they'll show us what's new about Fallout 4, rather than what hasn't changed since 3.

On this, I agree.
Incidentally, it was also the problem with Fallout 3 itself.
It didn't had a lot to do with 1 and 2, the Enclave felt a bit forced and the Super Mutants came from another Vault and were different, the Brotherhood wasn't the Brotherood but just generic post-apocalyptic paladins.
Also, set 200 years after the war, everything seemed to roll back to Fallout 1 level of developement. At that point, they should have set the game in the Fallout 1 era.
It felt like Bethesda only had the vaguest notion of what Fallout was about and ran with it on a superficial level.

With that said, for better or for worse, this created a unique slice of the setting, which I'm hoping they'll be able to flash out in depth, like Obsidian did with NV.

Calemyr
2015-06-05, 08:58 AM
Fallout has had a surreal aesthetic about it all along, but Bethesda's take has an additional layer: that time has no real meaning. Buildings do not last 200 years without any maintenance at all. Food (other than possibly twinkies) aren't edible after that long. Heck, FO3 had a pair of skeletons embracing in bed, perfectly intact. As if the entire world was static for 200 years.

Personally, my hope for FO4 is that you turn out to be an android, programmed using the brain of a survivor from the original war - but with those memories locked out. Maybe Vault 111 was a more literal lab than most, and most of its residents were unwitting specimens. Anyway, make nostalgia a recurring element of the game, where you get a chance to see certain areas as they were before the bombs fell as the memories leak back into conscious thought.

Probably involve the whole android underground railway thing from FO3, as you were once a major element in running it or are a sleeper agent sent to infiltrate it. Things go wrong, you go off script, and suddenly you're left with a lot of choices and none of them are good.

Or maybe I should watch Fallout trailers right after binge-watching Dollhouse on Netflix. What we know about the Commonwealth meshes uncomfortably well with the Dollhouse.

Orrmundur
2015-06-05, 10:10 AM
I've read that, for the better part of it's development, Fallout 3 was meant to take place about 20-30 years after the bombs hit and that it was a fairly last-minute decision to have it set 200 years after the war so they could include Fallout staples like the Brotherhood of Steel, as they hadn't even been properly formed at that point, let alone made it so far East. I feel like The Capital Wasteland makes a whole lot more sense if this is true.

Regarding Fallout 4, I am super excited. While Bethesda may not have as great writers as, say, Obsidian, they are possibly the best when it comes to open-world environmental design. Which is something that I love.

DigoDragon
2015-06-05, 12:51 PM
I've read that, for the better part of it's development, Fallout 3 was meant to take place about 20-30 years after the bombs hit and that it was a fairly last-minute decision to have it set 200 years after the war so they could include Fallout staples like the Brotherhood of Steel, as they hadn't even been properly formed at that point, let alone made it so far East. I feel like The Capital Wasteland makes a whole lot more sense if this is true.

That was exactly how I felt playing the game. I keep forgetting that the war ended ten times longer in history then I think. Ah well, It isn't hard to just mentally assume 20-30.

I hope the companions in FO4 have some quests you can do to get more background on them. Would be nice I think to feel invested in the NPCs that fight alongside you.

t209
2015-06-05, 02:53 PM
http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20150605
Here's Tim Buckley making his take on Fallout 4's origin.

Inarius
2015-06-05, 03:17 PM
The Skyrim system was not so bad, though it did have its faults. The simplest idea however to increase your skill was based on the value of the object that you made or improved.

The wierdest thing about the Skyrim system is that that's how it worked, but only for alchemy. You could level it with cheap potions but only up to a point, then you get dimishing returns and have to switch to higher value potions or equip + alchemy gear to increase the value of your potions. Why blacksmithing and enchanting weren't the same way seems odd to me.

Surrealistik
2015-06-05, 03:21 PM
I'm pumped and all, but please, for the love of god let's at long last have a Fallout Tactics sequel with balanced multiplayer.

Winthur
2015-06-05, 04:22 PM
I'm pumped and all, but please, for the love of god let's at long last have a Fallout Tactics sequel with balanced multiplayer.

Now what exactly is wrong with FO:T multiplayer? :smalltongue:

Surrealistik
2015-06-05, 04:28 PM
Now what exactly is wrong with FO:T multiplayer? :smalltongue:

Aside from the ridiculous pointcosting and silly Voodoo spam + Pancor Jackhammer meta that completely dominates it? :smalltongue:

Winthur
2015-06-05, 04:29 PM
Stop playing 10k?

Surrealistik
2015-06-05, 04:32 PM
Everyone plays 10k though, and the higher you go, the sillier it gets.

I love 2k, but very few run it, and even then it's pretty centralized around a couple of weapons/builds due to the bad/arbitrary pointcosting.

Winthur
2015-06-05, 04:43 PM
I love 2k, but very few run it, and even then it's pretty centralized around a couple of weapons/builds due to the bad/arbitrary pointcosting.

There'll always be some sort of a metagame involved after all, 2k expands the choices. Yay for Dog builds.

Personally I never had that much of a problem with it, but then again, I didn't venture that deep into competitive FOT (when I did, I could always find a 2k game), but then again, even the games I had with friends involved certain houserules. The most fun I had playing 10k was Android Only skirmishes with autistic Gundam fans.

And I'm not sure what's a good substitute for the point buy.

Surrealistik
2015-06-05, 05:08 PM
Yeah, there'll always be a meta for sure, but the arbitrary costing limits it more than it otherwise would be. Granted, 2k is _way_ more diverse than the higher point buy levels.

Pointbuy is fine so long as cost assignment isn't predicated by throwing darts at a board and it's dynamic, with changes pending feedback/stats; unfortunately neither is the case for FoT.

The build I normally favour for 2k is Fast Shot hollowpoint loaded p90cs/pancors + stealth, toughness and medikits and maybe an incendiary nade, especially during night combats. Stealth then flank n spank at close range.

I've had some great success with Fast Shot + Steady Arm supermuties packing the SAW; not nearly as versatile, but they are some of the hardest hitting, longest ranged things at that point level and are pretty durable. They will win pretty much any head to head firefight they get into that's within the effective range of their weapon which is damn long, and can also spray and pray to sweep for stealthers.

Rocket launcher builds have also worked well and tend to result in reliable one shot kills at ridiculous ranges, even through stealth and cover, but you have to make your munitions count; best to flush out the enemy with teammates/nades, then let 'er rip from stealth/concealment; basically run these guys like snipers.

Avilan the Grey
2015-06-05, 06:00 PM
As long as we get VATS and SPECIAL I´m good.

Vizzerdrix
2015-06-06, 04:37 PM
I could do without V.A.T.S, but I can always just not use it. That's what I do in FO3 and NV.

Cyber Punk
2015-06-06, 05:37 PM
Fallout 4 finally out? I'm happy beyond words.

Yes, I'm kinda sad that Obsidian might not be doing another Fallout, as I preferred NV, but I got my fix with Wasteland 2, which I enjoy replaying. I hope they bring back VATS. I'm good at FPSes, but I just loved VATS, I hope there's the option to turn it off for those that hate it, and the option to keep it permanently on for people like me.

Morty
2015-06-07, 06:09 AM
VATS never really had any place in the first-person person perspective of Fallout 3 and NV. I think it's mostly there because that's what people expect from Fallout. I think they'd be better off scrapping it and figuring out how to make weapon skills have more impact on fighting without it.

Rodin
2015-06-07, 07:49 AM
I hope that Bethesda looks carefully at New Vegas, and realizes why it was overall a better game. Bigger isn't better when that bigger is empty. It's about exploring the Wasteland, no miles upon miles of subway tunnels. Introducing Super Mutants at level 3 is a dumb idea. And so on.

At the same time, they should learn from Obsidian's mistakes, too. Deathclawland felt incredibly artificial and forced, and it was quite probable that you wouldn't be able to get through those areas at all even at high level. Make areas that you aren't supposed to go into in the early game by all means, but don't make them instant death areas for no good reason. Also, making one of the most common enemies in the game grant massive amounts of Karma is a baaaaad idea.

Ailurus
2015-06-07, 08:14 AM
VATS never really had any place in the first-person person perspective of Fallout 3 and NV. I think it's mostly there because that's what people expect from Fallout. I think they'd be better off scrapping it and figuring out how to make weapon skills have more impact on fighting without it.

VATS had a huge place in the game. Even ignoring the flavor/historical reasons for it, it immensely helped the game by letting you play the combat based on character skill rather than player skill if you so chose. If you wanted to go pure FPS and ignore VATS entirely you can easily do so. If you want to go full VATS and never bother with FPS shots, there were perks that let you do that as well. Or if you wanted to mix and match you could do that as well. The central point beyond VATS was that no matter what your reaction time or personal accuracy you could still very effectively play the game (as compared to Skyrim where its all your personal skill [though admittedly the skill ceiling is low] and nearly all the skills and perks do in combat is "weapon does more damage").

Now, overhaul/improve/fix/etc. VATS? Sure. I freely admit there were a few problems with it - the damage reduction being frankly overpowered in the FO3 implementation, cases where the enemy would move behind a table or something and you'd pump a full clip of ammo into a solid object with no effect, and the fact that 99% of the time there was no reason to target anything except the head or a live explosive all come readily to mind. But those are all things that can be fixed - the aforementioned damage reduction issue was mostly corrected in New Vegas for example. I don't see any reason to scrap an optional system that a large number of players obviously like having in the game.

Triaxx
2015-06-07, 08:47 AM
I agree with Calemyr, though the best part of the fallouts is how optional it is.

@Calemyr: If you like the default crafting, I firmly suggest both Craftpack/Craftmaster/CASE(co-dependent so all essentially the same mod), and Weapon Mod Recipes. The latter lets you build most weapon mods, all the vanilla ones I believe, and has an option for WMX mods.

The 3C's on the other hand, allow you to break down most of that junk you pick up, such as those bent tin cans, into basic components, like steel and then turn them either into basic weapons, or into other things. IE: turn bent tin cans into steel, then steel into regular tin cans. (Yes, I recognize how silly that is.)

More importantly, it not only seriously increases ammo variety, but also lets you break the cases down into brass, so you're no longer stuck with millions of empties from enemies for calibers you don't use. As well as being able to make primers from brass and primer compound, so much less limited availability.

Plus you don't know the definition of fun until you've launched a Carpet missile.

Cyber Punk
2015-06-07, 09:52 AM
I hope that Bethesda looks carefully at New Vegas, and realizes why it was overall a better game. Bigger isn't better when that bigger is empty. It's about exploring the Wasteland, no miles upon miles of subway tunnels. Introducing Super Mutants at level 3 is a dumb idea. And so on.

At the same time, they should learn from Obsidian's mistakes, too. Deathclawland felt incredibly artificial and forced, and it was quite probable that you wouldn't be able to get through those areas at all even at high level. Make areas that you aren't supposed to go into in the early game by all means, but don't make them instant death areas for no good reason. Also, making one of the most common enemies in the game grant massive amounts of Karma is a baaaaad idea.

I agree with this as well. Personal experience: I played Fallout 3 and loved it! Then I played Fallout 1 before playing New Vegas and loving it more. I played NV twice, but I got bored on my second playthrough of Fallout 3.

I don't agree about the Deathclaws, though. Obsidian didn't make deathclaws harder, in fact, it was Bethesda that made deathclaws easier! In Fallout 1, you could get KO'd in one hit by a Deathclaw, while in Fallout 3 you could run at a deathclaw with a scalpel and survive to tell the tale. Personally, I preferred NV's deathclaws. They were hard, but they felt dangerous and well-deserving of its name.

Also, I never really had to go through Quarry Junction. What I liked about NV was that you didn't have to go through the deadly places. Not most times, at least; there was always a longer-but-safer route to your destination.

As for them being common, I always invest in a Sniper Rifle and/or get Boone/ED-E.

The thing I didn't like was that before the Gun Runners' Arsenal DLC, the only way to get a Fatman was to invade Deathclaw-land.

DigoDragon
2015-06-07, 12:38 PM

I love VATS in Fallout 3. I'm not great at FPS games, so it's nice to have something like VATS to help with aiming and the pause feature is nice if I need a moment to think. Or use the bathroom. XD

Antonok
2015-06-07, 01:44 PM
This is interesting. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAvMfWtJdwI)

Bethesda seems to have done their homework. Also seems people have already figured out where the bomb exploded and where vault 111 is.

Winthur
2015-06-07, 03:24 PM
I agree with this as well. Personal experience: I played Fallout 3 and loved it! Then I played Fallout 1 before playing New Vegas and loving it more. I played NV twice, but I got bored on my second playthrough of Fallout 3.

I don't agree about the Deathclaws, though. Obsidian didn't make deathclaws harder, in fact, it was Bethesda that made deathclaws easier! In Fallout 1, you could get KO'd in one hit by a Deathclaw, while in Fallout 3 you could run at a deathclaw with a scalpel and survive to tell the tale. Personally, I preferred NV's deathclaws. They were hard, but they felt dangerous and well-deserving of its name.

Also, I never really had to go through Quarry Junction. What I liked about NV was that you didn't have to go through the deadly places. Not most times, at least; there was always a longer-but-safer route to your destination.

Daily reminder that going from Goodsprings to New Vegas nearly immediately isn't at all hard with judicious use of the humble Stealth Boy.

Triaxx
2015-06-07, 04:30 PM
It's easier to cut through the Cazadores. Single shotgun, and VATS the wings. Just requires patience to wait close enough for a guaranteed hit, and the talent to pull one at a time.

Rodin
2015-06-07, 06:03 PM
It's easier to cut through the Cazadores. Single shotgun, and VATS the wings. Just requires patience to wait close enough for a guaranteed hit, and the talent to pull one at a time.

Right. The Cazadores were an example of what I'm talking about done right. A careful player could get through them no problem. Black Mountain was another - you could ninja your way up there carefully if you were good enough.

However, there are still fairly large swatches in the middle of the map that are absolutely teeming with Deathclaws, and there aren't even any quests that GO to those areas. They're just there as a "we don't want you in this area. Ever." sign, and it really sticks out. They wanted to control your path through the game, forcing you to do the loop, but then didn't take that opportunity to build those areas into proper high-level content.

Plus, call me old-fashioned, but I liked the Fallout 1 status where Deathclaws were a rare and feared creature, not something that was swarming all over the place.

GloatingSwine
2015-06-07, 07:06 PM
I quite like the fact that New Vegas has the guts to have large chunks of empty map.

It actually adds to the sense that the world is an actual place and things in that place are determined by the logic of it, not a videogame setting where things are just crammed in so that the player always has something new to explore no matter where they go and where they walk to.

DigoDragon
2015-06-07, 07:47 PM
This is interesting. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAvMfWtJdwI)
Bethesda seems to have done their homework. Also seems people have already figured out where the bomb exploded and where vault 111 is.

They didn't do a bad job with the DC area either.

Not referring to the link up there, but wow, I dunno how folks can put together 6-8 minute analysis videos of the trailer. Which is just 3 minutes. :3

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-07, 08:14 PM
you can have a world feel empty while also having it loaded with wrecked buildings and other things.

Mando Knight
2015-06-07, 08:47 PM
They didn't do a bad job with the DC area either.

Not referring to the link up there, but wow, I dunno how folks can put together 6-8 minute analysis videos of the trailer. Which is just 3 minutes. :3

That's only an average of 2-3 minutes per minute shown, which isn't all that crazy.

Triaxx
2015-06-08, 03:21 AM
There's actually one big quest that does go to Sloan. Convincing the Khan's to turn on the Legion sends you to Melissa, sitting up top of the quarry, which is accessible only through the Deathclaws. Then to Sloan, which leads to the wiping out the Claws quest,

In F1/F2, they were only dangerous until you learned the secret. Cripple the left arm and they became completley helpless.

DigoDragon
2015-06-08, 06:40 AM
That's only an average of 2-3 minutes per minute shown, which isn't all that crazy.

Crazy to me, as I can't think of much to say other than "This is nice, I'd like to know more!" :smallbiggrin:

Kalmageddon
2015-06-08, 06:41 AM
There's actually one big quest that does go to Sloan. Convincing the Khan's to turn on the Legion sends you to Melissa, sitting up top of the quarry, which is accessible only through the Deathclaws. Then to Sloan, which leads to the wiping out the Claws quest,

In F1/F2, they were only dangerous until you learned the secret. Cripple the left arm and they became completley helpless.

And actually, even in NV, you just need to cripple one of their legs and you can just kite them from there.
Now, facing a Deathclaw in melee, that's fun! I especially love the fact that, since their attacks completely ignore armor and DR in general, you can go full on berserker mode and go fight them naked and armed only with tribal weapons. :smallbiggrin: And if you manage to survive, now you have a tale to tell!

Hexalan
2015-06-08, 09:53 AM
Daily reminder that going from Goodsprings to New Vegas nearly immediately isn't at all hard with judicious use of the humble Stealth Boy.

Heh, the very first time I played New Vegas, I shimmied across the cliff face (I'm sure we all know how to break the physics engine) all the way to Vegas, and let Boone get knocked unconscious repeatedly to distract all the Deathclaws.

Eldan
2015-06-08, 09:57 AM
Yeah, it's possible without a stealth boy. You just need a few sprints and some rockhopping.

LibraryOgre
2015-06-08, 10:43 AM

...huh. Didn't know that. I always shot them in the eyes with something high caliber.

Tyndmyr
2015-06-08, 03:14 PM

I love VATS. It's part of what makes Fallout unique. I love the environment, the slow motion shots, the ability to take on ludicrous fights, the crazy char builds...you don't get that same mashup elsewhere.

I prefer 3, actually. I like the denser layout, and the resulting ability to just wander off in a direction and find cool stuff and subplots to do basically constantly. I'm *still* not sure I've actually done everything in 3.

BladeofObliviom
2015-06-08, 03:59 PM
...huh. Didn't know that. I always shot them in the eyes with something high caliber.

Yep, that's pretty much me too. And then I ground the ones in the Boneyard for a while because that single encounter gives you as much XP on its own as a low-level quest and they respawn impossibly fast, cheaply powerleveling myself up a bit. :smalltongue:

LibraryOgre
2015-06-08, 05:31 PM
You know, folks talk about 3 being a lot "denser", but I'm just remembering the west side of the map, especially the north west side, where it seemed like there was nothing much in the way of quests.

DigoDragon
2015-06-08, 05:54 PM
You know, folks talk about 3 being a lot "denser", but I'm just remembering the west side of the map, especially the north west side, where it seemed like there was nothing much in the way of quests.

Sure were a lot of rolling hills though. :smallbiggrin:

I haven't explored all of the northwest area on the map, but it is a spread out area from what I've seen so far.

themaque
2015-06-08, 06:12 PM
I'm inspired by the fact there is COLOR in the world other than Brown, Grey, and Puke Green.

Rodin
2015-06-08, 08:29 PM
Sure were a lot of rolling hills though. :smallbiggrin:

I haven't explored all of the northwest area on the map, but it is a spread out area from what I've seen so far.

I also don't remember there being a lot TO the densest areas of the map. There was the national mall, which had...everything. Then in the surrounding areas, there was Rivet City and that was about it.

All the important locations were crammed into one small area, which was a mess of heavily obstructed streets and subway tunnels. Oh, and filled with nothing but Super Mutants, let's not forget that.

MCerberus
2015-06-08, 08:41 PM
I also don't remember there being a lot TO the densest areas of the map. There was the national mall, which had...everything. Then in the surrounding areas, there was Rivet City and that was about it.

All the important locations were crammed into one small area, which was a mess of heavily obstructed streets and subway tunnels. Oh, and filled with nothing but Super Mutants, let's not forget that.

Not to mention FO3 Super Muties, "Grr, blarg, murder"
Such uninteresting characters.

DigoDragon
2015-06-09, 06:56 AM
Oh, and filled with nothing but Super Mutants, let's not forget that.

Admittedly one of the most intense and favorite moments of mine was when I popped up from the metro station into the mall area (by the museum of tech) and got assaulted by a gang of about a dozen of those Super Mutant jerks like they were going out of style. That fight fight went on long enough to the point I was needing to loot on the run for more bullets and gun parts. I used up all 14 grenades I had and the 10 or so land mines. :smallbiggrin:

LibraryOgre
2015-06-09, 09:55 AM
Admittedly one of the most intense and favorite moments of mine was when I popped up from the metro station into the mall area (by the museum of tech) and got assaulted by a gang of about a dozen of those Super Mutant jerks like they were going out of style. That fight fight went on long enough to the point I was needing to loot on the run for more bullets and gun parts. I used up all 14 grenades I had and the 10 or so land mines. :smallbiggrin:

One of my favorite moments was serendipity. I fast-travelled to one of the stations outside the immediate Metro area... the one just east of Evergreen Mills. When I arrived, there was a band of Outcasts fighting a band of raiders fighting a giant white scorpion fighting a Super Mutant Abomination. It was GLORIOUS. I just watched.

BladeofObliviom
2015-06-09, 10:07 AM
One of my favorite moments was serendipity. I fast-travelled to one of the stations outside the immediate Metro area... the one just east of Evergreen Mills. When I arrived, there was a band of Outcasts fighting a band of raiders fighting a giant white scorpion fighting a Super Mutant Abomination. It was GLORIOUS. I just watched.

As awesome as this sounds, what is a Super Mutant Abomination? I don't believe I've ever seen one of those, at least not in the vanilla game. I think Mart's Mutant Mod added monsters called Abominations that were found alongside Super Mutants, but those aren't even close to the weight class of any of the other groups mentioned here; even the raiders would take it down handily. :smallconfused:

Antonok
2015-06-09, 10:36 AM
As awesome as this sounds, what is a Super Mutant Abomination? I don't believe I've ever seen one of those, at least not in the vanilla game. I think Mart's Mutant Mod added monsters called Abominations that were found alongside Super Mutants, but those aren't even close to the weight class of any of the other groups mentioned here; even the raiders would take it down handily. :smallconfused:

He's probably thinking of the behemoths (the giant 20ft tall guys, which there are 5 of total). One is conveniently located right around Evergreen Mills.

Chen
2015-06-09, 11:16 AM
That or the overlords which come along with the albino radscorpions in the Broken Steel DLC.

LibraryOgre
2015-06-09, 11:32 AM
He's probably thinking of the behemoths (the giant 20ft tall guys, which there are 5 of total). One is conveniently located right around Evergreen Mills.

Antonok is correct.

DigoDragon
2015-06-09, 03:51 PM
It was GLORIOUS. I just watched.

I would of found a sniping position and pick off the winners. :smallbiggrin:

Unless I was dumb enough to be carrying a missile launcher. Then I would unload missiles at everything and win all the aggro.

LibraryOgre
2015-06-09, 04:23 PM
I would of found a sniping position and pick off the winners. :smallbiggrin:

Unless I was dumb enough to be carrying a missile launcher. Then I would unload missiles at everything and win all the aggro.

I tend to give the Outcasts a wide berth... but I think it came down to the Scorpion and the Behemoth.

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-09, 04:25 PM
Has anyone ever killed a Behemoth with nothing but Teddy bears and a rocket-it-launcher?

LibraryOgre
2015-06-09, 04:49 PM
Has anyone ever killed a Behemoth with nothing but Teddy bears and a rocket-it-launcher?

I'm sure someone has...

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-09, 04:51 PM
i have, it is i got a good laugh out of it. :smallbiggrin:

DigoDragon
2015-06-10, 07:22 AM
i have, it is i got a good laugh out of it. :smallbiggrin:

That sounds amazing!

I've only found two so far; the scripted one outside the GNR building (where I ran in circles and let the brotherhood pick it off) and the one at Evergreen Mills (Softened it up with a few sniper rounds and then laid out a minefield before opening the cage door and running). :3

Calemyr
2015-06-10, 10:55 AM

Personally, I always found it more fun to use pre-war money as ammunition for the Rock-It Launcher. In the Capital Wastes, there is no person more feared than the Loan Wanderer.

LibraryOgre
2015-06-10, 11:01 AM
Personally, I always found it more fun to use pre-war money as ammunition for the Rock-It Launcher. In the Capital Wastes, there is no person more feared than the Loan Wanderer.

Arrrghhhhhh... *throws subsonic teddy bears*

Calemyr
2015-06-10, 11:02 AM
Arrrghhhhhh... *throws subsonic teddy bears*

Trying to beat the stuffing out of me?

DigoDragon
2015-06-10, 12:05 PM
In the Capital Wastes, there is no person more feared than the Loan Wanderer.

*applaud* That was truly brilliant. I'm grinning so much it hurts. :smallbiggrin:

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-10, 03:32 PM

:smallbiggrin:
I am dying, i am dying, my sides hurt from laughing.

LibraryOgre
2015-06-10, 03:47 PM

You are a horrible, horrible person and I'm glad to know you. :smallbiggrin:

JadedDM
2015-06-10, 05:29 PM
Fallout 4? Psh! Big deal. It looks like Skyrim with guns, if you ask me.

:tongue:

Winthur
2015-06-10, 06:37 PM

You aren't even wrong

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-10, 07:16 PM

NO Trolls in the dungeon
Playground!

Hexalan
2015-06-10, 08:27 PM

Skyrim? Fallout without guns, if you ask me. :smalltongue:

Though, if we could somehow stick Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas together, given the numbers and stats all the equipment already has, would the Courier or the Dragonborn win in a fight?

Raw numbers (armor rating, weapon damage, etc.) seem to favor the Dragonborn, but does that outweigh the Courier's obvious advantage in range? Does magic make up for that?

Rodin
2015-06-10, 08:53 PM
Skyrim? Fallout without guns, if you ask me. :smalltongue:

Though, if we could somehow stick Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas together, given the numbers and stats all the equipment already has, would the Courier or the Dragonborn win in a fight?

Raw numbers (armor rating, weapon damage, etc.) seem to favor the Dragonborn, but does that outweigh the Courier's obvious advantage in range? Does magic make up for that?

I think we already had this thread (Skyrim vs. NCR/Legion), and it devolved into a massive flame war about troop statistics and how heavy a caliber you need to pierce dragon hide. :smalltongue:

Cyber Punk
2015-06-10, 09:17 PM
Hehe... I remember that thread...

I saw an online video: The Courier vs The Dragonborn. The Dragonborn lost to a grenade, then summoned Odhaviing with his dying breath.

Speaking of which: Alduin vs a horde of deathclaws and Cazadores.

Rodin
2015-06-10, 10:21 PM

I saw an online video: The Courier vs The Dragonborn. The Dragonborn lost to a grenade, then summoned Odhaviing with his dying breath.

Alduin flies up out of range of the Deathclaws, gets stung and poisoned by the Cazadores before laying about and taking them all out. Then he tries to cast a healing spell, and the poison from the Cazadores makes his HP rocket into negative numbers.

...Why yes, I am still bitter about that bug, why do you ask?

Here lies Rex, killed by a Stimpack. Never forget.

MCerberus
2015-06-10, 10:30 PM
Also there's some terrible misinformation about a certain weapon going around.

The proper use is to fire mugs out of it running around screaming that you are the 'caffeinator"

GloatingSwine
2015-06-11, 02:56 AM
No, you use plates to decapitate people as if they are razor edged.

Then you can arrange the heads on the plates.

snowblizz
2015-06-11, 03:56 AM
And then you get shot through the eye by a high-powered sniper rifle.
Because as I remember it, nothing really could beat the regular weapons.

The only custom I remember using was the Shishkebab.

DigoDragon
2015-06-11, 07:09 AM

And the bad part is...? :smallbiggrin:

As for weapons, my favorite melee was the combat shotgun. :3

LibraryOgre
2015-06-11, 08:58 AM

The only custom I remember using was the Shishkebab.

I used the heck out of the dart gun, because it would cripple the legs of anything you shot. Almost no damage, but the leg-crippling was incredibly valuable to me. I missed it so much in NV.

GloatingSwine
2015-06-11, 09:33 AM

Whilst it's true that standard weapons were overall better, the sniper rifle wasn't necessarily the best option. In terms of overall effectiveness, accounting for damage, accuracy, ammo type, and durability, the Backwater Rifle was the best to have. Lower DPS than the snipers, but ten rounds in a mag, used one of the most common ammo types, and decent durability.

If you found a particularly meaty problem, Blackhawk. (Blackhawk was a better use on average of the relatively rare .44 magnum round than Lincoln's Repeater and was also scoped.)

The Rock-It launcher was just a surprisingly effective comedy weapon.

(Also remembering that the Metal Blaster would one shot basically any enemy with a sneak attack).

Chen
2015-06-11, 10:06 AM
I used the heck out of the dart gun, because it would cripple the legs of anything you shot. Almost no damage, but the leg-crippling was incredibly valuable to me. I missed it so much in NV.

Yeah the dart gun was how you easily destroyed deathclaws in FO3.

Triaxx
2015-06-12, 06:14 AM
Project Nevada didn't quite bring back the Dart Gun, but it did let the Silenced .22 fire poison darts.

I had gratuitous amounts of fun nailing people to the wall with the Railway Rifle. John Henry Eden? Meet John Henry Iron.

DigoDragon
2015-06-12, 06:45 AM
I hope FO4 has another alien quest. I really like Mothership Zeta in FO3... except for those instances that you bump into an alien who has a cloaking device. Guh. :smallannoyed:

Ailurus
2015-06-12, 06:56 AM
I hope FO4 has another alien quest. I really like Mothership Zeta in FO3... except for those instances that you bump into an alien who has a cloaking device. Guh. :smallannoyed:

If it's there, hopefully they keep it behind a wild wasteland option.

LibraryOgre
2015-06-12, 08:52 AM
If it's there, hopefully they keep it behind a wild wasteland option.

Aliens have been part of the setting since FO1.

Gamerlord
2015-06-12, 08:53 AM
Weren't those just some kind of messed up mutant animal?

BladeofObliviom
2015-06-12, 09:04 AM

If the random encounters are to be considered canon, we also have the Doctor and the Federation out there somewhere. :smallwink:

DigoDragon
2015-06-12, 09:23 AM
If the random encounters are to be considered canon, we also have the Doctor and the Federation out there somewhere.

Given their propensity for time/dimensional travel, wouldn't they be canon in all realities? :smallbiggrin:

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-12, 10:33 AM
If the random encounters are to be considered canon, we also have the Doctor and the Federation out there somewhere. :smallwink:

As well as Godzilla monty python. Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy just to name a few.

Ailurus
2015-06-12, 07:13 PM
As well as Godzilla monty python. Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy just to name a few.

Yeah, if you go by just random wasteland encounters (which is all the aliens have ever been except for Zeta), then most geeky references from the past several decades fit into the Fallout canon in one way or another. Which is why the Wild Wasteland trait got added in NV.

MCerberus
2015-06-12, 07:47 PM
Yeah, if you go by just random wasteland encounters (which is all the aliens have ever been except for Zeta), then most geeky references from the past several decades fit into the Fallout canon in one way or another. Which is why the Wild Wasteland trait got added in NV.

I understand why people would ever not take the trait, but I still say that it's key to the true essence of NV

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-12, 11:20 PM
it is not only the key to the true essence of NV but the key to the true essence of Fallout.

Nostri
2015-06-13, 01:02 AM

Here's the video you were talking about Flaming Eagle: Fallout vs. Skyrim (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBlhXKjSy6M). Worth watching if you've got the 3 minutes, most of the rest of the guy's stuff is pretty entertaining too honestly. Good FX

Triaxx
2015-06-13, 05:43 AM
Wild Wasteland ends up being one of those traits I love, but it breaks certain characters. YCS/186 beats the life out of the Alien Blaster for energy weapons types. The heavy drug user on the other hand, get's all the benefits.

DigoDragon
2015-06-13, 07:41 AM
it is not only the key to the true essence of NV but the key to the true essence of Fallout.

Mothership Zeta gave me the theory idea that aliens had something to do with the bombs dropping. :3

Here's the video you were talking about Flaming Eagle: Fallout vs. Skyrim (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBlhXKjSy6M).

Yeah, the effects and editing were pretty good! Love the Rock-it Launcher bit. :D

Antonok
2015-06-13, 10:40 PM
23:10 til the full E3 reveal.

Going to have a fun sleepy day at work monday :smalltongue:

Winthur
2015-06-14, 09:51 AM

Wouldn't consider Special Random Encounters to be canon, as it would also imply that Dogmeat managed to survive Military Base (not in accord with Vault Dweller's Memoirs) and somehow managed to live 80 years with all the discarded FO1 Player Characters, to name something other than "zany Monty Python references".

The FO2 aliens (and the Wannamingos) are aliens only in name and aesthetic.

Mothership Zeta can go eat a ****.

Driderman
2015-06-14, 11:11 AM
Wouldn't consider Special Random Encounters to be canon, as it would also imply that Dogmeat managed to survive Military Base (not in accord with Vault Dweller's Memoirs) and somehow managed to live 80 years with all the discarded FO1 Player Characters, to name something other than "zany Monty Python references".

The FO2 aliens (and the Wannamingos) are aliens only in name and aesthetic.

Mothership Zeta can go eat a ****.

As far as I remember, the Wannamingos and "aliens" of Fallout 2 are actually some sort of bio-engineered super weapon. I don't actually remember where I got this from, though.

Rodin
2015-06-14, 06:39 PM
I don't get why aliens are a big deal. We already have radiation magically making people immortal (or at least, long lived enough that nobody has found out what the maximum lifespan is), radiation zombies, giant atomic powered robots, solar collectors that can fire giant laserbeams, robotic dogs....

How do aliens break the sense of disbelief at all? Having Little Green Men be a thing is entirely in keeping with the 50s aesthetic.

At any rate, I hope that in future they don't have a Wild Wasteland trait, because it forces people who want to play the game in the same spirit as the originals to waste a trait picking it up. If you absolutely must, have a "Silly Clowns" toggle in the Options menu like Quest for Glory had.

Winthur
2015-06-14, 07:47 PM
I don't get why aliens are a big deal. We already have radiation magically making people immortal (or at least, long lived enough that nobody has found out what the maximum lifespan is), radiation zombies, giant atomic powered robots, solar collectors that can fire giant laserbeams, robotic dogs....

How do aliens break the sense of disbelief at all? Having Little Green Men be a thing is entirely in keeping with the 50s aesthetic.

Because "the reasons (for the whole nuclear holocaust), as always, purely human ones" from FO2 have been entirely contradicted by the whole aliens illuminati deal in the Mothership Zeta DLC. That, and 200 years after the war, we're not really in the 50s anymore, or shouldn't, without feeling and looking fake (FO3 again) - I get the ideas like "lack of a transistor", "the look for energy weapons", mutants etc. are also there to stay, but the games really shouldn't cling on to being the 50s forever, some cultural progress should be shown. That, and with humanity at the brink of extinction it's ridiculous to assume that aliens, with flying ships that can somehow transcend massive light-year barriers won't be easily capable of bringing down near-extinct humanity with superior tech and way, way better organization (the NCR is a colossus on clay feet). Having aliens intrudes on a setting where the theme has been all about how humans manage to make their own bed (the entire Vault project is a huge experiment on humans), and adds on a dumb antagonist.

At any rate, I hope that in future they don't have a Wild Wasteland trait, because it forces people who want to play the game in the same spirit as the originals
Only Fallout 2.
Fallout: Special Random Encounters being easter eggs that, on a non-grindy playthrough, tend to only happen to the lucky characters, with the tone of the game, aside from the camp, being pretty much entirely serious. Minor things like Chris Avellone being a bounty hunter who doesn't like donuts don't count enough.
Fallout 2: Characters making references to "getting you on their next save game", "European version of Fallout 2 not having any children", popculture references off the wazoo, Yakuzas, mobsters, Mike Tyson, porn industry, copious Monty Python quotes, and all of that in normal conversations and comments from people passing by. Special Random Encounters, too.

Wild Wasteland provides you with both SREs and the silly quotes, and a lot of people had problems with FO2's "theme park" attitude to its setting.

I don't see a problem with making WW a trait. I view it the same as picking Malkavian in Bloodlines.

Surrealistik
2015-06-14, 08:04 PM
As far as I remember, the Wannamingos and "aliens" of Fallout 2 are actually some sort of bio-engineered super weapon. I don't actually remember where I got this from, though.

Yes, they're essentially custom purposed bioweapons created with genetic engineering and FEV.

DigoDragon
2015-06-14, 09:15 PM
Because "the reasons (for the whole nuclear holocaust), as always, purely human ones" from FO2 have been entirely contradicted by the whole aliens illuminati deal in the Mothership Zeta DLC.

I dunno. While the DLC kinda hints at the possibility, it didn't seem like it was clear to me. More just a proposed conspiracy that might or might not be true and you're left to decide for yourself. Maybe the aliens wanted to prevent the holocaust because a nuked planet is useless to them. Maybe they don't care either way and just like watching us like we would watch an ant farm.

I'm willing to compromise and have aliens in FO4 be another DLC. I never regretted buying Mothership Zeta.

Gamerlord
2015-06-14, 09:54 PM
Watching Bethseda stream right now
Confirmed for starting pre-war. Main character both male and female, so rumors were false. Apparently voiced (Mass Effect-style dialogue choices.) Might be just me, but seems to look a lot better then the trailer. Companions (Well, at least the dog) can be ordered the same way as in Skyrim, not sure if that was in Fallout 3/NV. VATS is slow-mo instead of full stop.

Another thing I noticed is that when the main character opened a fridge, they actually opened it, instead of some menu of the loot popping up. Was just the intro, so maybe that is not what the whole game is like.

New Pip-Boy, most menus seem animated, can play games on it. Game has some kind of mobile app, Todd wants to avoid it being a "stupid gimmick", collector's edition will contain a replica pip-boy, can put your phone in it.

Sajiri
2015-06-14, 10:04 PM
I have to admit, I never cared much for Fallout, but recently having got into NV I decided to watch the bethesda stream....I'm looking forward to what Im seeing from the stream :D

Also

Collector's Edition comes with a Pip-boy

Gamerlord
2015-06-14, 10:10 PM
Wow, for a spin-off mobile title, Fallout Shelter looks surprisingly....not-awful? :smallconfused: :smallbiggrin:

Sajiri
2015-06-14, 10:14 PM
Buildable settlements o_o Well this kind of puts Skyrim's Hearthfire to shame

Farix
2015-06-14, 10:15 PM
Wow, for a spin-off mobile title, Fallout Shelter looks surprisingly....not-awful? :smallconfused: :smallbiggrin:

I'm gonna build my own Vault, with Blackjack, and hookers!

Also in-F4 settlement building, why do you hate my free time so much Bethseda?

Crafting system looks like a major improvement, random trash is actually useful now.

And to power armor from the trailer looks fully moddable! :smallbiggrin: May have seperate armor condition for each piece

WOO Teddybear murder launchers back.
Saw raiders, synths, supermutents, including a Behemoth, mirelurks, radscorpions, and of course Deathclaws

And the big news, games out November 10th this year.

Sajiri
2015-06-14, 10:21 PM
Release is November 10th this year...much sooner than I would have thought

Antonok
2015-06-14, 10:24 PM
Holy crap. Just holy crap. Buildable settlements, customizable weapons/powersuit and layered armor, jet packs, Nov 10 release date.

This officially has all of my yes. and money, and time

Mando Knight
2015-06-14, 10:27 PM
There's so... much... to tinker with... in the base game...

There's no way this will work smoothly at launch. Especially not on my computer...

Sajiri
2015-06-14, 10:29 PM
Well, this has kind of made me less interested in finishing New Vegas or trying FO3. Damn you shiny new stuff making me want it now!

I missed a few things at the start of the gameplay thanks to someone deciding to call me and talk in my ear despite knowing I was trying to watch stream.

They said it starts the day the bombs hit (I caught that part) and you emerge as the sole survivor 200 years later?

Gray Mage
2015-06-14, 10:33 PM
Well, this has kind of made me less interested in finishing New Vegas or trying FO3. Damn you shiny new stuff making me want it now!

I missed a few things at the start of the gameplay thanks to someone deciding to call me and talk in my ear despite knowing I was trying to watch stream.

They said it starts the day the bombs hit (I caught that part) and you emerge as the sole survivor 200 years later?

That is correct. I think this makes the theory that the main character is an android more likely (expect bicentennial man references). :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2015-06-14, 10:34 PM
That is correct. I think this makes the theory that the main character is an android more likely (expect bicentennial man references). :smalltongue:

Except you have a baby. I think it's stasis pods, like Vault 112.

Gamerlord
2015-06-14, 10:36 PM
Except you have a baby. I think it's stasis pods, like Vault 112.

The opening sequence could all be a false memory implanted in you by your creator, assuming the MC is an android. Maybe trying to create some kind of sleeper agent.

Vizzerdrix
2015-06-14, 10:36 PM
Armor like Morrowind, weapons like dead Space 3! Settlements! Oh god the settlements! I'm joy puking right now, as I type this! I may need a new keyboard...

Gray Mage
2015-06-14, 10:40 PM
The opening sequence could all be a false memory implanted in you by your creator, assuming the MC is an android. Maybe trying to create some kind of sleeper agent.

I thought implanted memories, as your robot does seem to recognize you. Or somesort of "you were badly hurt, so we mad eyou into a robot" kind of thing. I do not think the begining is a lie, though.

PerXX
2015-06-14, 11:58 PM
So, they've completely gotten rid of skills (Guns, Science, Medicine, Repair, Energy Weapons and such)?
Just S.P.E.C.I.A.L and some perks now. That sucks!

Vizzerdrix
2015-06-15, 12:24 AM
So, they've completely gotten rid of skills (Guns, Science, Medicine, Repair, Energy Weapons and such)?

did they? I didn't hear skills mentioned at all.

PerXX
2015-06-15, 12:33 AM
did they? I didn't hear skills mentioned at all.

Well, it's a theory so far. Not confirmed.
But when we were shown the Character Creation, only SPECIALS were shown, nothing about skills.
When we seee the Pip-boy menu, the Stat's menu only shows tabs for Status, SPECIAL and perks. Also, the SPECIALs themselves do not mention skills.
I.e Intelligence is no longer increasing skill points, but XP gain.

Antonok
2015-06-15, 12:56 AM
Well, it's a theory so far. Not confirmed.
But when we were shown the Character Creation, only SPECIALS were shown, nothing about skills.
When we seee the Pip-boy menu, the Stat's menu only shows tabs for Status, SPECIAL and perks. Also, the SPECIALs themselves do not mention skills.
I.e Intelligence is no longer increasing skill points, but XP gain.

Huh. you're right. I completely missed that.

Here's the pipboy part (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1APnHyCyJQ) of the presentation, and there is no skills on there at all.

Gamerlord
2015-06-15, 05:09 AM

In the weapon creation screen, there is a mention of Science rank requirements, but they don't seem to be out of 100.

Divayth Fyr
2015-06-15, 06:39 AM
I didn't watch the show - did they show that, or just mention it? Because if it was the latter, keep in mind Skyrim was supposed to have the option of affecting an areas economy by burning down lumber mills and such (of course a buildable settlement is Heartfire cranked up just a bit, so it is trivially easy to implement)...

In the weapon creation screen, there is a mention of Science rank requirements, but they don't seem to be out of 100.
Maybe it will be a perk?

It wouldn't be surprising considering Skyrim dealt away with most stats - having TES be skills+perks and Fallout stats+perks seems like a possible way of further differentiating the franchises.

Antonok
2015-06-15, 06:43 AM
I didn't watch the show - did they show that, or just mention it? Because if it was the latter, keep in mind Skyrim was supposed to have the option of affecting an areas economy by burning down lumber mills and such (of course a buildable settlement is Heartfire cranked up just a bit, so it is trivially easy to implement)...

No its buildable. Can build houses wall by wall, place generators and attach lamps and turrets to them, change lights/colors, rig up traps for invading raiders, etc. Looks pretty good. You do this by deconstructing other things for materials, so near everything in the game should have a use now.

Here's the building part (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOd9mB1OZsA), and the weapon part (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unji5X-zl8o).

Dhavaer
2015-06-15, 06:46 AM
Huh. you're right. I completely missed that.

Here's the pipboy part (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1APnHyCyJQ) of the presentation, and there is no skills on there at all.

I noticed Luck controls critical 'recharge rate'. I guess your first attack is a guaranteed crit, and as either time passes or you make attacks it refreshes?

Sajiri
2015-06-15, 07:04 AM

They showed it all in action, and said something about you can even have brahmin caravans running between them. They didn't show the caravans, so that might not make it in, but it implies you can build multiple settlements in the same game

snowblizz
2015-06-15, 07:18 AM
They showed it all in action, and said something about you can even have brahmin caravans running between them. They didn't show the caravans, so that might not make it in, but it implies you can build multiple settlements in the same game

Can't even begin to describe how awesome that would be. But then again being able to fund trade expansion in F3 was one of that game's best features. (Then again, maybe not everyone was walking around considering the economic realities and opportunities of the Wasteland like I was.)
I've always wondered why my godlike abilities would not leave a bigger mark on the Wasteland, kickstarting the economy by massive exploration and wealth generation alone should do something.

DigoDragon
2015-06-15, 07:36 AM
Watching Bethseda stream right now
Confirmed for starting pre-war. Main character both male and female, so rumors were false. Apparently voiced (Mass Effect-style dialogue choices.) Might be just me, but seems to look a lot better then the trailer. Companions (Well, at least the dog) can be ordered the same way as in Skyrim, not sure if that was in Fallout 3/NV. VATS is slow-mo instead of full stop.

Another thing I noticed is that when the main character opened a fridge, they actually opened it, instead of some menu of the loot popping up. Was just the intro, so maybe that is not what the whole game is like.

New Pip-Boy, most menus seem animated, can play games on it. Game has some kind of mobile app, Todd wants to avoid it being a "stupid gimmick", collector's edition will contain a replica pip-boy, can put your phone in it.

Woot, I'll have to find a recording of the stream now. :D
Sounds like lots of good stuff!

Oooh, so a touch of SimCity. Fun! :smallbiggrin: Can you name the settlement?
It's nice to have a use for trash. I remember one time getting lost in the Metro from FO3 and collected cans to make "street art".
Had like 200 cans to play with.

I'm joy puking right now, as I type this! I may need a new keyboard...

Um... you do that. :smalleek:

Morty
2015-06-15, 07:43 AM
Removing skills in favour of attributes and perks sounds like an interesting idea, one I can get behind. I appreciate minimalism and cutting out layers. The devil's in the detail, though, so the execution would make or break it. That's unless we're all misinterpreting things.

Jayngfet
2015-06-15, 08:21 AM
On one hand I'm against cutting out gameplay as a rule.

On the other hand, this may really be for the best. One of the most annoying things in a crafting system is that you need to reach an arbitrary number to get the thing you want, instead of just getting the materials together and getting that thing made.

It's also annoying when arbitrary skills detail how much damage you do in a first person game based on reflex, instead of how well you plan and your actual skill level. Morrowind had a whole lot of good stuff but it's always annoying when you take a shot, hit dead on between the eyes, then it tells you that you missed anyway.

I think ultimatley Bethesda's claimed way of doing things is probably going to work out better, but I still have extreme reservations, and this as someone with 315 hours in skyrim.

Starbuck_II
2015-06-15, 09:18 AM
So Pipboy stats shows:
Perception is environmental awareness/sixth sense, and weapon accuracy in VATS.
Endurance: Total Health and rate Action points drain while sprinting.
Charisma: Success to persuade in dialogue and prices when barter.
Int: Mental acuity and Exp gained.
Agility: Action points in VATS and sneak
Luck: Finding better stuff and Critical hit rate reacharge

Maybe weapons deal a static amount/hit (increased in VATS by Perception)? Fire rate is something I've never seen in weapons before.

Mini-games like Donkey-Kong like game.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2015-06-15, 10:33 AM
Critical Hits appear to be the slow-mo bullet VATS effect. You can "trigger" it after a certain amount of time/number of shots (we don't know), but the bar building up is shown in the VATS screen, along with a button to, as said, "trigger" it. Right after they show the VATS screen with crits charged, they do the slow-mo bullet-follow, so that's my thoughts.

GloatingSwine
2015-06-15, 02:26 PM
Skill points were a bit of a joke in Fallout 3 anyway given that you could start at Int 3* and still get 100 in every skill without taking a single skill point perk (other than Silent Running which had other effects that you were actually using it for).

This will all depend on what the perks are and how much they allow character builds to vary. New Vegas you could vary characters massively with perks, FO3 not so much because so many of them were skill point crap.

*Though you take one rank of Intensive Training Int because there's no good level 3 perk anyway and you want Comprehension.

Corvus
2015-06-15, 06:22 PM
This is looking amazing.

Looking through the weapon customisation vid, I noticed that at one point there is a requirement for ranks in science. If that isn't a skill then what is it? A perk?

Gray Mage
2015-06-15, 06:23 PM
Maybe it's a combination between level, stats and perks. Or maybe skills weren't included in the demo for some reason (not that I can think of any).

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-15, 06:25 PM
Critical Hits appear to be the slow-mo bullet VATS effect. You can "trigger" it after a certain amount of time/number of shots (we don't know), but the bar building up is shown in the VATS screen, along with a button to, as said, "trigger" it. Right after they show the VATS screen with crits charged, they do the slow-mo bullet-follow, so that's my thoughts.

if you also paid attention during the gameplay videos like when they were fighting Super mutants Crits seem to be able to happen normally and controlled in Vats as well.

DigoDragon
2015-06-15, 06:43 PM
I really love the videos. The way you can command the dog is cool. :3

Eeyup, looks good so far! Hoping it delivers!

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-15, 06:45 PM
I really love the videos. The way you can command the dog is cool. :3

Eeyup, looks good so far! Hoping it delivers!

so far i have no doubt in my mind it will deliver, Also i may dissapear for a couple days after it comes out. they are not going to be related at all. :smalltongue::smallwink:

Also I believe skills still do exist, if you noticed in the videos the pip boy has more category under each tab. you only however see the ones that are directly next to the category you are currently in.

GloatingSwine
2015-06-15, 06:45 PM
This is looking amazing.

Looking through the weapon customisation vid, I noticed that at one point there is a requirement for ranks in science. If that isn't a skill then what is it? A perk?

In the big ol' video of all the stuff (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KApp699WdE) on Bethesda's own channel there's an interview after the presentation which confirms it's perks that affect what you can craft.

DigoDragon
2015-06-15, 07:13 PM
Also i may dissapear for a couple days after it comes out. they are not going to be related at all.

Nope, not at all. :smalltongue:

I wonder about town construction and random raider raids... if there is a way the game warns you about an attack while you're away. Maybe the town can send you a radio SOS to your pipboy?

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-15, 07:15 PM
i would not be surprised by that. also though what if there is no need for an SOS like you have fortified your settlement well enough to not worry. However I think with all the Brotherhood and Institute Tech around, radio SOSs would not be a problem.

Mando Knight
2015-06-15, 07:43 PM
i would not be surprised by that. also though what if there is no need for an SOS like you have fortified your settlement well enough to not worry. However I think with all the Brotherhood and Institute Tech around, radio SOSs would not be a problem.

Plus, the Lone Survivor seems to have a fair amount of technical expertise him/herself, what with being able to rebuild and reconfigure Pre-War tech in a workshop. As a relic of the bygone era, you might be able to pass on otherwise forgotten technical knowledge to wastelanders yourself.

Of course, whatever it means for people who look at the lack of skill points and assume that Int is a dump stat now... I don't know.

Dhavaer
2015-06-15, 07:47 PM
Of course, whatever it means for people who look at the lack of skill points and assume that Int is a dump stat now... I don't know.

Given how easy it was to get to the level cap in F3, I'm worried they may be right.

cavalieredraghi
2015-06-15, 07:49 PM
Plus, the Lone Survivor seems to have a fair amount of technical expertise him/herself, what with being able to rebuild and reconfigure Pre-War tech in a workshop. As a relic of the bygone era, you might be able to pass on otherwise forgotten technical knowledge to wastelanders yourself.

It is also Clear that the Male Lone Survivor is also a Vet. You can tell this from the way his wife talks as well as the folded flag in his living room.

Mando Knight
2015-06-15, 07:54 PM
Given how easy it was to get to the level cap in F3, I'm worried they may be right.

I would hope that some of the good perks with regards to crafting and such are Int-gated, since it's not needed for skill points anymore. Things that used to require high Science, Treat Injury, or Repair would probably switch to being based off of your Int instead. No revolutionizing Power Armor or Energy Weapon systems without having the understanding of how they work.