PDA

View Full Version : Occult Character

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-06-02, 03:21 PM
I want a Occult Expert Investigator themed character. Kind of like Constantine(Comic) or the Supernatural TV series and stuff like that. Ideas I had are Wizard/Shadowcaster or Rogue/Warlock/Dark Scholar, maybe Archivist. The campaign in Victorian Gothic era technology.

Edit: Oh I want Sacred Exorcist somewhere. I'm going to add a little background on the character when I get back.

My character is suppose to be a expert on the occult and sometimes is a consultant investigator on occult related crimes for the police when asked. This is a world were magic is dampered as well as illegal for unregistered practitioners in this nation.

atemu1234
2015-06-02, 03:48 PM
I want a Occult Expert Investigator themed character. Kind of like Constantine(Comic) or the Supernatural TV series and stuff like that. Ideas I had are Wizard/Shadowcaster or Rogue/Warlock/Dark Scholar, maybe Archivist. The campaign in Victorian Gothic era technology.

Edit: Oh I want Sacred Exorcist somewhere. I'm going to add a little background on the character when I get back.

Rogue 3 / Archivist 17?

It works, and you get ninth-level spells.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-02, 04:03 PM
Rogue 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 10/Arcane Trickster 5 works really well for a magicky investigator type, especially if you can take Able Learner to keep your skills arranged properly. Replace anything after 7th level with as many Sacred Exorcist levels as you want.

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-06-02, 07:18 PM
This isn't relative to the thread but how do I get a snazzy picture too?

atemu1234
2015-06-02, 08:08 PM
This isn't relative to the thread but how do I get a snazzy picture too?

There's a thread for it over in Arts and Crafts (I think).

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-06-02, 08:12 PM
There's a thread for it over in Arts and Crafts (I think).

Okay thx Atemu!

Venger
2015-06-02, 09:14 PM

My character is suppose to be a expert on the occult and sometimes is a consultant investigator on occult related crimes for the police when asked. This is a world were magic is dampered as well as illegal for unregistered practitioners in this nation.

check out dungeonscape's factotum class. you can play it straight to 20 too if you like (or a mindbender dip at 6 like everyone else) and it's good for your angel/ghostbusters/winchester bros idea. you're a sort of scoundrel con artist character who has vague magical powers that you pull out of your back pocket like constantine and can change up the role on the fly depending on what the situation calls for.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-02, 09:37 PM
check out dungeonscape's factotum class. you can play it straight to 20 too if you like (or a mindbender dip at 6 like everyone else) and it's good for your angel/ghostbusters/winchester bros idea. you're a sort of scoundrel con artist character who has vague magical powers that you pull out of your back pocket like constantine and can change up the role on the fly depending on what the situation calls for.

Factotum is nice but it usually needs some fixes. Curmudgeon summed up what he does with the class here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19211057&postcount=33), and you may want to implement some or all of them.

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-06-02, 11:48 PM
Hmmm i'm also thinking maybe Warlock 5/Wizard 3/ Eldritch Theurge 10/ Sacred Exorcist 2. Don't know who to favor spell wise for exorcist. Now that I think of it my character right now is a orphan kid that was infected with Lycanthropy so maybe a blood transfusion with devil or fallen angel blood would cure it and give me Eldritch powers. Then my character to better understand his power learned arcane.

Venger
2015-06-03, 01:27 AM
Hmmm i'm also thinking maybe Warlock 5/Wizard 3/ Eldritch Theurge 10/ Sacred Exorcist 2. Don't know who to favor spell wise for exorcist. Now that I think of it my character right now is a orphan kid that was infected with Lycanthropy so maybe a blood transfusion with devil or fallen angel blood would cure it and give me Eldritch powers. Then my character to better understand his power learned arcane.

that sounds like fun. playing theurges is a lot of work. fiend-blooded is another fun class that sounds like it'd mesh with you backstory pretty good. same as wild soul

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-06-03, 01:38 AM
that sounds like fun. playing theurges is a lot of work. fiend-blooded is another fun class that sounds like it'd mesh with you backstory pretty good. same as wild soul

I like fiend-blooded maybe I will do that if this character goes over 20.

Venger
2015-06-03, 02:18 AM
I like fiend-blooded maybe I will do that if this character goes over 20.

talk to your dm about changing or waiving the planes requirement. it's plain to see that they thought sorcerer (or whoever) had it. I love its fiendish sorcery ability. it's so exciting. I love deploying it on a prixe fixe caster.