PDA

View Full Version : Deadwood sidebar: Hanar's house

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-06-02, 08:53 PM
In a flash you appear in a familiar place, just outside of the town proper. It is Hanar's house, and it appears just as you last saw it.

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-06-02, 08:58 PM
Sticks looks to their new friend

Welcome to my home

Andrew Markham
2015-06-04, 08:26 AM
"Your house? More like my house in which you have a space."

Hanar's house is a sturdy looking carriage house which has been expanded over the years. If you look closely, you can see that the structure of the wooden house has been reinforced with magically fabricated metal, making it stronger and more durable. The house is within sight of the edge of town, but a fair walk across a flat, dry, open plain to get there. No one will be sneaking up on Hanar's house anytime soon.

http://www.fredendallbuilding.com/images/frenchtowncarriagehouse_1.jpg

There is a large double-door at the front of the building facing town. Hanar walks up to the door and says, "Tiddlywinks." He then opens the door and allows his guests in after him. "Put up an Alarm spell last night," Hanar explains in Gnomish.

Hanar walks into a large open room with a dozen beds. None of them are currently in use. They are arrayed in rows with a Medium-sized space between them. There are doors going to the left and in the back. Hanar says in Gnomish, "This is our patient area. We tend to the people of the town from time to time. When there's an injury my magic can not heal, Sticks can often create an alchemical concoction to deal with things. That door to the left is mostly for Sticks to do his alchemy, and is a convenient place to wash up before tending a patient."

Hanar carries Oogagi to the back door and opens it. Beyond is a wooden staircase going to the upper level. "We can seal this door in the event we have patients. Don't want them wandering into our sleeping quarters," Hanar further explains.

Upstairs is a full second floor with windows on every wall, in each of the 8 major directions. To the left of the staircase are two bookshelves containing about 75 books, and stacks of papers (to those with magical sight, every book and the bookshelf itself have been given magical protection from fire and acid via Book Ward). Nearby is a reading desk made of a single piece of smooth wood. Tucked into the corner of this area is a neatly-made human-sized bed. In its current location, the bed is out of sight of the nearby window.

The right side of the upper floor appears to be a kitchen and a small dining room. There is a stove located near a window, presumably for easy ventilation, and a large cold box nearby. There are crates and boxes with ample supplies throughout this room. The dining room table is a simple 4-person square with only 3 chairs.

8 feet up, in the center of the ceiling, is a gnome-sized "crow's nest", allowing a small person the ability to see out the windows in every direction and have clear line of sight. Next to that, there is a hammock tacked to the ceiling.

Hanar carries his floating disk to the center of the upper floor, then slowly dissipates the spell, causing Oogagi's table to gently lower onto the ground. "Well, this is home for us," Hanar says in Gnomish. "Private, spacious, easy to defend, and magically crafted. Please, be welcome."

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-06-04, 08:50 AM
(Since everyone here speaks Gnome, I'm gonna skip the spoiler)

Well, it seems like a nice place you have here. Much larger than what I'm used to for sure. I appreciate your hospitality. Do you not trust your compatriots? Do you fear the people in the town?... I don't mean to pry, but is would seem I owe you each a token of gratitude, and I am curious why you separate yourselves from them.

Andrew Markham
2015-06-04, 10:42 AM
"My priority was your safety. You said there was a chance of violence, so I decided to avoid town and come straight here. We'll meet up with the group later."

As he continues to speak, Hanar opens the box of magical scrolls and items. "In general...you saw the woman in the dress, and the man on the horse? Those are what normal humans look like, and they are most of the people in the village. I used to be one of them until just before I met Sticks. Now I am different. Some of them are...off-put...by strangers. So we make things easier on them and live a ways away from town. If they want healing or magic, they know where to find us. Otherwise, everyone is more at ease."

Hanar casts Read Magic on himself, and begins examining the magic scrolls in the large box that was near Oogagi.

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-06-04, 11:15 AM
Sticks smiles to Doc.

"I dunno, I bring in more money with my potions then you do with Doctoring, you may hold the deed, but Im willing to bet I could buy it out from under ya if I wanted the responsibility. "

He points up

"My room is way up, but If your looking for a temporary place to sleep, We can get you something"

He considers their guests questions for a moment.

"We are strange. Rather than humans, we are alien, rather then be a constant eye sore to the human residents, we would rather allow them to come to us so they feel they are on their terms so they feel more confident, and that when they see us, its a positive influence, as we help them."

Andrew Markham
2015-06-04, 12:18 PM
Hanar smiles as he looks through the many scrolls from the chest. "Excellent...my knowledge of the mystic arts shall grow ever expansive once I am able to copy these scrolls into my book!" There is a twinge of madness in Hanar's expression as his eyes move quickly over the symbols. He sorts them into piles, sighing in dismay as he puts four of them to the side. Then he takes the remaining stack of scrolls and puts them on his reading desk, then comes back to the chest.

Hanar begins emptying his pockets and bags. "Hey Sticks, you want to help me identify all this stuff I found today? There are more than a few potions and oils and things here, and a revolver! Oh, and I saved that rifle I busted if you want to tinker with it.

Hanar brings out the following:
A broken revolver, a ring, and 5 potions from one body
3 bottles of oil, 5 potions, and a charred rifle from another body

Hanar says wryly, "Be careful with that rifle; I think it's still covered with my blood. It might be slippery."

Hanar reaches into the chest and pulls out an armful of wands. He scoops out 4 of them, looking them over, then setting them aside. The others he glares at for a few moments. "I may have to use that scroll, or use a high level spell to cast Identify...I'm so low on spells right now...or I could wait for tomorrow...or..." Hanar slowly looks up at Oogagi. "You said you converted things into these items, didn't you? We'd like to keep them, if you don't mind. Would you care to help me figure out what they do?"

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-06-04, 12:25 PM
Sticks begins looking over everything, he seperates the guns, potions, and oils.

"I will be careful as I look over everything, Im good with Guns. Maybe I can add Potion launchers to these guns.... yea.... yea..."

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-06-04, 01:05 PM
Well, I honestly cant remember which is which. but I'll certainly try to help figure them out. Oogagi hops down from his table and stands on his hind legs, knees bowed outward. He takes half the wands and spends about three minutes twisting and turning them and mumbling words in Grippli.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Ah, yes, yes He begins, as he inspects each he proclaims what they are for and the activation words of each.
This wand is Feather Step, this one Mage Armor, and this one is Spark. This little one here is Flare. This one is the Touch of Fatigue. This here is Bless. Ah, another Mage Armor, Lullaby, Open/close, and Speak with Animals. A right useful lot I do say.

Andrew Markham
2015-06-04, 09:16 PM
Hanar keeps his Detect Magic active as he looks over the remaining 11 wands, then looks closely at the ring he found in the saddlebags.

Spellcraft en masse:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
Ring: [roll11]

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-06-05, 11:44 AM
Sticks goes over the items as well thinking over everything. He drinks a Potion of Identify.

[roll0] Spellcraft
[roll1] Spellcraft
[roll2] Spellcraft
[roll3] Spellcraft
[roll4] Spellcraft
[roll5] Spellcraft
[roll6] Spellcraft
[roll7] Spellcraft
[roll8] Spellcraft
[roll9] Spellcraft

[roll10] Craft Alchemy
[roll11] Craft Alchemy
[roll12] Craft Alchemy
[roll13] Craft Alchemy
[roll14] Craft Alchemy
[roll15] Craft Alchemy
[roll16] Craft Alchemy
[roll17] Craft Alchemy
[roll18] Craft Alchemy
[roll19] Craft Alchemy
[roll20] Craft Alchemy

"This sure is a haul"

Andrew Markham
2015-06-05, 12:29 PM
"Indeed. Despite the secretive way in which I acquired it, I do plan to distribute it to our team in a fair manner. In that regard, I must count all the coin I acquired and divide it by 5. For now, I have finished with the wands. I'm not quite certain about this one- Oogagi, could you verify my findings?" Hanar hands Oogagi the wand he thinks casts Hide Animals. "Can you verify the command word for me on this one?"

"Sticks, are you interested in any of these wands? Otherwise I shall likely be keeping the arcane ones- keep the few which are useful, use the others as fuel for my arcane talents. The few divine ones can go to Aven."

Hanar then begins counting and dividing the coin he found. As an afterthought, he sticks a ring on his finger. Hanar creates 5 piles, each containing 4 kinds of coin. "Here Sticks, your share is 73 platinum, 235 gold pieces, 47 silver, and 294 copper. It's a good thing we use both exotic coins and dollars for currency, although the exchange rate can be fairly confusing." Hanar gives himself an equally large pile, and scoops up the other 3 piles in separate bags for the others.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-06-05, 01:06 PM
Oogagi pipes up. I've found that precious metals are worth whatever someone is willing to trade for them. And I can use them to force magic into various items. I can create carious inks and dyes that hold magic. The inks can be applied to parchment to create scrolls or applied to the skin as tattoos such as these. The dyes are soaked into dowls to create wands.
He yawns widely. I'll have a look at that.
[roll0]
sure enough, it's Grrrupt. he beaks into Grippli for a second.

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-06-05, 04:35 PM
Sticks smiles

"Yes, Mage Armor, and Bless will do nicely. "

He looks over the oils and marks them with sticky slips of paper from his cabinent.

"Mage Armor"
"Light"
"Arcane Mark"
"Mage Armor"

He looks over the Guns and nods.

"Relvolver, least of Magic" (OOC: +1)
"Pepperbox Rifle.... Distance with Farshot Scope, cant tell the magic of the weapon until I can get you to use a make whole on it"

He looks at the potions and smiles more.

"Aid"
"Two Cure Light Wounds"
"Magic Fang"
"Remove Fear"
"Sheild of Faith"
"Pass without Trace"
"Protection from arrows"
"Remove Sickness"
"Vanish"

He looks up to Doc,

"Let me look over the scrolls. oh! and I found a ring on one of the Vials.... Protection of the least kind"

STDM Grizzly Ad
2015-06-05, 06:36 PM
You hear a soft knock at the door. Looking out, you see Aven and Addi.

Andrew Markham
2015-06-06, 10:18 AM
Hanar gets up, groaning slightly, and goes to the door. He smiles as he sees Aven at the door. "Hello! Say 'Tiddlywinks', and then come in- there's a spell on the door."

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-06-11, 03:20 PM
Sticks looks to the new frog guest.

"The password was my idea"

Andrew Markham
2015-06-11, 04:00 PM
Hanar allows Aven to enter- or not- as she pleases, then goes back upstairs to the sleeping quarters. "Let us attend to the last of the distribution of magical items. I shall, of course, immediately begin copying the spells that I don't already have in my spellbook, so those I will not share. You may, of course, study them later. I don't need the wands immediately, so I will scribe you a list of what they do, and you can peruse them at your convenience."

Hanar gets a piece of parchment, quickly writes down the full list, and places it on a counter along with the full stack of wands. "Some of these are divinely powered, so if Aven asks for any of them, I propose she be allowed to make use of them. Any of the wands which are still present in the morning I shall keep to drain of their power for my own. Here, the scrolls I'm not going to copy." Hanar gives Sticks the following scrolls: (D)Magic Vestment
(D)Create Water
(D)Cure Light Wounds
(D)Divine Favor
(D)Create Water
(A)Shocking Grasp
(A)Unwitting Ally
(A)Cure Moderate Wounds
(D)Baneuntil
(A)Identify- already known

Hanar walks to Oogagi before he retires for the day. "I know that you made these things under duress, but I intend to make best use of them despite their origins. I thank you for the effort you put into their creation. If you will excuse me, I shall retire to my study."

With that, Hanar goes to his desk with the remaining scrolls and begins the long process of studying. For the rest of the day, until night falls, Hanar studies spells from the scrolls.

Spellcraft check (DC 18 to understand Level 3 spell): [roll0]
Spellcraft check (DC 17, Level 2): [roll1]
Spellcraft check (DC 17, Level 2): [roll2]

At 10 PM that evening, Hanar begins to feel tired. He dedicates one of his few remaining spell slots to cast Keep Watch, enabling him to keep on working through the night and still get rest. Upon request, Hanar also casts one on Sticks, so they can both keep studying.

Spellcraft check (DC 16, Level 1): [roll3]
Spellcraft check (DC 17, Level 2): [roll4]
Spellcraft check (DC 17, Level 2): [roll5]

He works for another 8 hours before stopping to take a look around.

Darius Vibrtrar
2015-06-11, 09:31 PM
Sticks nods and sets the scrolls and aside and grabs one of the wands he spotted, a wand allowing him to hide from animals. He sets himself up beside Hanar with bottles of Ink and arcane sorcery and begins to go through his book with him through the night and actually writes formulae for spells into his recipe book to enhance his own prowess.

((Taking a 10, so 10+9, DC 19, allows me to copy up to 4th level spells, only going after 0-3 level spells in Hanars Wizard Spell Book))

"Oh Aven! let me know if you need anything in the morning!"