PDA

View Full Version : Does this feat exist or am I just going out of my mind?

Terumitsu
2015-06-02, 08:56 PM
For the past while now, I have been trying for the life of me to remember the name of some feat that I remember has some rather funny fluff requirements for you to keep the benefit of.

At this point I am starting to become unsure if it was a feat at all but maybe some magical effect from some tome or something...

Anyway, the most I can remember is that the fluff requirements are that you suffer nightmares ever few days as determined by dice and that at least a good portion of your character's clothing must be either grey or black else you don't gain the effect of the feat/magical thing/whatever for 24 hours.

I apologize that I cannot offer more than that for things to go on as I can't even remember if it was from a 3.5 or a Pathfinder source.

My thanks in advance for your time.

holywhippet
2015-06-02, 09:28 PM
Closest I can find is this: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Live_My_Nightmare_%28Feat%29

It would help if you could recall what the feat actually does.

Warrnan
2015-06-02, 09:37 PM
Sounds like a cursed version of the "ring of Gygax" from 3.0.

The ring had an 8 sided gem with runes on each side. At dawn the ring would randomly rotate to show a different rune (rolled a d8 to see which) and gave you some sort of epic all day buff.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-06-02, 10:08 PM
Corrupt Arcane Studies, from Ghostwalk. +1 DC and CL for all sorcerer/wizard spells, but you lose 2 wisdom, "develop a fixation for dressing in black and gray clothing" (and lose the feat's benefit if you don't!), and have to make a Wisdom check every night if you want to prepare spells the next day. Amazing for sorcerers; a little less good for wizards.

2015-06-02, 10:21 PM
For the past while now, I have been trying for the life of me to remember the name of some feat that I remember has some rather funny fluff requirements for you to keep the benefit of.

At this point I am starting to become unsure if it was a feat at all but maybe some magical effect from some tome or something...

Anyway, the most I can remember is that the fluff requirements are that you suffer nightmares ever few days as determined by dice and that at least a good portion of your character's clothing must be either grey or black else you don't gain the effect of the feat/magical thing/whatever for 24 hours.

I apologize that I cannot offer more than that for things to go on as I can't even remember if it was from a 3.5 or a Pathfinder source.

My thanks in advance for your time.

Recently, I was crawling through the Site That Shall Not Be Named looking for useful feats for a character that got infinite feats, and I came across this bizarre 3.? feat that is exactly what you're talking about, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. I'm going to go see if I can narrow it down, but all I can tell you for sure is that is comes before "Deafening Song" alphabetically.

EDIT:

Found it. It's called "Corrupt Arcane Studies", and it comes from the 3.0 splatbook "Ghostwalk". It's a wonderfully powerful feat for low-/mid-op casters, but those nightmares can be a bitch to work with unless you have absolutely ungodly Wisdom.

EDIT 2:

Ninja'd by a giant. Well, that's what I get for just reading the OP.

Sith_Happens
2015-06-03, 12:11 AM
Corrupt Arcane Studies, from Ghostwalk. +1 DC and CL for all sorcerer/wizard spells, but you lose 2 wisdom, "develop a fixation for dressing in black and gray clothing" (and lose the feat's benefit if you don't!), and have to make a Wisdom check every night if you want to prepare spells the next day. Amazing for sorcerers; a little less good for wizards.

Don't forget hilarious in concept.

2015-06-03, 12:48 AM
Don't forget hilarious in concept.

Hell yeah. Being an evil mage is one thing, but if you're not rocking the classical look, you're literally not as powerful as you could be.

Terumitsu
2015-06-03, 10:13 AM
Corrupt Arcane Studies are it exactly! I didn't even think it was 3.0 material so that might be why I couldn't find it.

Thanks a lot for finding this!