PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Creating a buddys blind paladin

1Forge
2015-06-02, 09:44 PM
So an interesting thing happened a freind of mine wanted a guy who was "blind.....but he could see" as he put it.
He wanted to play a paladin so i decided to give him magicy eyes that allowed him to "be blind but see" but I dont have stats.
I was thinking 30 ft he could sense creatures alignment and posistion, does that seem fair?

Also he cant see the ground so I ruled he has to roll vs tripping on rough terrain, and he has disadvantage on all perception checks.

EDIT: I trhink I will let him see terrain that is living (grass, trees) because he can see their alignment, but dead things (not undead) and inanimate objects (like stone) are completely invisible to him.

Submortimer
2015-06-03, 01:23 AM
So he wants to play Daredevil. K.

Well, Blindsight is what he really wants. 30ft. blindsight is pretty darn strong at level 1, but a smaller radius might not be. Consider a "Boon" of sorts: He loses his ability to see normally, but gains Blindsight with a distance of 10ft. This increases by 10 ft. every two levels. Beyond that distance, he cannot see at all, and he cannot discern color or read.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-03, 01:31 AM
Do creatures in the Material Plane have a 'shadow' in the Ethereal or Astral Plane? It would be kind of cool if he was able to see into the Border Ethereal with his mind, but if there's no shadows, it doesn't work.

Giant2005
2015-06-03, 03:10 AM
I'd give him a -1 to hit or something, just to balance out all of the advantages he would have.

ImSAMazing
2015-06-03, 04:26 AM
So an interesting thing happened a freind of mine wanted a guy who was "blind.....but he could see" as he put it.
He wanted to play a paladin so i decided to give him magicy eyes that allowed him to "be blind but see" but I dont have stats.
I was thinking 30 ft he could sense creatures alignment and posistion, does that seem fair?

Also he cant see the ground so I ruled he has to roll vs tripping on rough terrain, and he has disadvantage on all perception checks.

I would say that the player gets 30 ft aurasight, every creature, object and entity in the world has is own aura. He can sense arau's nearby within 30 ft. However, he can't read. Also, creatures like Basilisk have a special aura, which gives the same effect when you look at it. That way it doesn't give you an advantage at enemies who change your flesh into stone.

Mandragola
2015-06-03, 12:58 PM
Impose the "blinded" condition on him all the time, but let his divine sense be active all the time. So he can always see undead, fiends and celestials regardless of any tricks they pull, but nothing else.

xroads
2015-06-03, 02:10 PM

If you want to keep things simple, just define it as a trapping. So storywise he's a blind guy who has some mystical or supernatural senses to help him compensate. Mechanically, don't do anything. He can still see opponents and read. He has no special benefits in the dark unless he plays a race with darkvision. And he can still be effected by spells that work on vision.

1Forge
2015-06-03, 04:15 PM
The story is he was just an average joe then something genericly trajic made him lose his sight. But the day after he lost his sight he still went to a shrine with an offering to a god (probobly the hombrewed enemy of concealment and god of revealing light) he was impressed (and he lived near some paladins) so he was brought into their HQ where he was blessed with his "eyes"

We already talked and he says he's okay with not being able to read, write legibly, or see color and stuff.

Well, Blindsight is what he really wants. 30ft. blindsight is pretty darn strong at level 1, but a smaller radius might not be. Consider a "Boon" of sorts: He loses his ability to see normally, but gains Blindsight with a distance of 10ft. This increases by 10 ft. every two levels. Beyond that distance, he cannot see at all, and he cannot discern color or read. cool idea might use some parts but what are the rules for blind sight again?

Impose the "blinded" condition on him all the time, but let his divine sense be active all the time. So he can always see undead, fiends and celestials regardless of any tricks they pull, but nothing else. I was thinking something like this but I decided because he was willing to do this I would give him the ability to detect a creatures "aura" as ImSAMazing

As for any advantages this would give him the only two I can see is always detecting alignment, and being able to see behind cover. I think this is balanced by the fact he cant see projectiles, and can't see ground obstacles.

1Forge
2015-06-04, 12:03 AM
If you want to keep things simple, just define it as a trapping. So storywise he's a blind guy who has some mystical or supernatural senses to help him compensate. Mechanically, don't do anything. He can still see opponents and read. He has no special benefits in the dark unless he plays a race with darkvision. And he can still be effected by spells that work on vision.

that iz lame though.