PDA

View Full Version : Loremaster Applicable Knowledge and Regional Feats

schreier
2015-06-03, 05:22 AM
I've seen a lot of threads about Loremaster's "secret feat," with some arguing that it ignores prereqs, but most coming down on the "can't take it unless you meet them" position. I agree 100% as a general rule, but had a question about regional feats specifically.

Generally, they are only available at level one. If you read them, some make sense to be added later (at least as much as any feat), so I wanted to get people's thoughts on the matter. Would you allow a regional feat with the applicable knowledge secret for the loremaster?

Thanks
schreier

WeaselGuy
2015-06-03, 05:37 AM
I've seen a lot of threads about Loremaster's "secret feat," with some arguing that it ignores prereqs, but most coming down on the "can't take it unless you meet them" position. I agree 100% as a general rule, but had a question about regional feats specifically.

Generally, they are only available at level one. If you read them, some make sense to be added later (at least as much as any feat), so I wanted to get people's thoughts on the matter. Would you allow a regional feat with the applicable knowledge secret for the loremaster?

Thanks
schreier

I would allow someone to take the regional feat as their LM secret feat, but only if they meet the other prereq's of the regional feat (except for the level 1 bit, obviously).

Saintheart
2015-06-03, 05:41 AM
Regional feats are a bit of a mixed bag - some of them are incredibly useful, others just useless. I'd just about give people a free regional feat or two to give their characters a little more depth.

The FRCS is actually explicit, at page 28:

"You can acquire regional feats later in your adventuring career. With a few exceptions, any regional feats appropriate to your race or homeland that you don't select at 1st level are still available the next time you gain the ability to select a feat. You may even learn feats from a new region altogether, whether or not you belong to an encouraged class for that region. After 1st level, each 2 ranks in Knowledge (local) you have allow you to select feats from a single region (other than your home region, if applicable)."

So, yeah. Loremaster is pretty much the definition of the know-it-all. Provided he has Knowledge ranks, he can pick outside his region as described.

WeaselGuy
2015-06-03, 05:46 AM
Regional feats are a bit of a mixed bag - some of them are incredibly useful, others just useless. I'd just about give people a free regional feat or two to give their characters a little more depth.

The FRCS is actually explicit, at page 28:

"You can acquire regional feats later in your adventuring career. With a few exceptions, any regional feats appropriate to your race or homeland that you don't select at 1st level are still available the next time you gain the ability to select a feat. You may even learn feats from a new region altogether, whether or not you belong to an encouraged class for that region. After 1st level, each 2 ranks in Knowledge (local) you have allow you to select feats from a single region (other than your home region, if applicable)."

So, yeah. Loremaster is pretty much the definition of the know-it-all. Provided he has Knowledge ranks, he can pick outside his region as described.

Player's Guide to Faerun changed the requirements for all Regional feats to "Must be taken at level 1", I'm pretty sure. It was basically the 3.5 update to 3.0's FRCS.

Saintheart
2015-06-03, 09:38 PM
This is why I adore WOTC so much.