PDA

View Full Version : Roy is DEAD! ACCEPT IT!

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 03:23 PM
What's with people going "Roy's not dead yet! He's just... resting his eyes!" ? This is worst than when Miko fell and all the fanboys went "NOOOOOO! It's okay to brutally murder elderly people!" and "Roy didn't beat the daylights out of Miko! She had that fight under control all along!"

Face it: You don't get death fingered, hit by meteorites, and go plunging straight into a ground and then MIRACULOUSLY SURVIVE. At least, not at level 13 or under.

HE HAS X EYES NOW!

Roy's estimated to be a level 13 fighter. With max rolls and 18 con, that gives him 182 HP. Xykon death fingered him twice, but Roy made his save both times. Saved finger of death does 3d6 +1 per caster level. At the very least, Xykon is level 18, so that's 6d6 + 32 damage Roy's taken from just those two spells. If we take the middle road and say all of the damage rolls come out in the middle, Roy's taken 50 damage and is now at 132 HP.

Xykon then smacks him with a meteor swarm. Meteor swarm shoots 4 meteors which each do 2d6 points of bludgeoning damage if they hit, and then 6d6 points of damage each even if they don't hit. Lets again assume that Roy only takes half of the max possible damage from this. That's 96 damage. Roy is now at 36 HP.

Roy then falls off the dragon and hits the ground at terminal velocity. That's 20d6 right there. Again assuming an average of only rolls of 3 on each, that's 60 damage. Roy's now at -24 HP.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised his corpse is in such great condition after all that.

HE'S DEAD! Get on with your lives! I doubt the giant's gonna keep Roy dead permanently. They're gonna try and ress him at the very first chance they get.

EDIT: Apparently, a lot of people are too lazy to read that last part there, so I bolded and underlined it.

jindra34
2007-04-23, 03:26 PM
normally i would call this spam but considering how often the ROy aint dead has come up its not...

Fawkes
2007-04-23, 03:28 PM
No! He lives! He...um....

Yeah, he's pretty dead.

I'ma go cry now.

Duffren
2007-04-23, 03:29 PM
Roy isnt dead...hes just....hes just....sleeping! Yeah! Soon hes going to wake up and go on all sorts of exciting and funny adventures! Just you wait! Hes just sleeping. Just sleeping...

Seriously though, hes dead. Which means Belkar caused someone's death. So soon hes going to die too. So THERE Belkar fanatics, soon your favorite character will be dead too!:smallyuk:

squidly_bard
2007-04-23, 03:31 PM
O MY GOSH HOW MANY TIME'S DO I HAVE TO SPELL IT OUT!!! HE'S THE MAIN CHARICTER THE POINT OF A STORY MAIN CHIRCTER! THIS RING A BELL 2 U?!?!?!? IT ABSURED! IT WOULD RUIN THE ENTIRE SERIOS IF HE STAYED DEAD!
u guys need 2 think theese things throughe before stating them.

Deckmaster
2007-04-23, 03:31 PM
Dude, what do you have against Roy? Can you seriously imagine this going on without Roy? The rest of the Order would not be able to function as a unit without him. They'd break up and go their seperate ways. If someone new stepped in to take his place, they'd be completely wrong.

Death is not permanent in D&D. Roy shall return.

Killer Munchkin
2007-04-23, 03:32 PM
xx = dead -- no question about it!

However, death does not have to be permanent.
Who's gonna pay for the 5000 GC diamond?

Deckmaster
2007-04-23, 03:32 PM
Dude, what do you have against Roy? Can you seriously imagine this going on without Roy? The rest of the Order would not be able to function as a unit without him. They'd break up and go their seperate ways. If someone new stepped in to take his place, they'd be completely wrong.

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 03:33 PM
Roy isnt dead...hes just....hes just....sleeping! Yeah! Soon hes going to wake up and go on all sorts of exciting and funny adventures! Just you wait! Hes just sleeping. Just sleeping...

Seriously though, hes dead. Which means Belkar caused someone's death. So soon hes going to die too. So THERE Belkar fanatics, soon your favorite character will be dead too!:smallyuk:

Belkar didn't cause his death anymore than Durkon, Haley, Miko, Hinjo, Shojo, Eugene, Mrs. Greenhilt, Fyron, Thog, or the flumph did.

And the oracle wasn't even in Official Oracle Trance when he implied that Belkar wouldn't live to see old age. Belkar's not gonna have a heart attach and drop dead as soon as he fulfills the minimum requirements for his prophecy.

nothingclever
2007-04-23, 03:39 PM
Stop the spam. No one said he wouldn't be rezzed.

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 03:45 PM

You should take your own advice.

IT WOULD RUIN THE ENTIRE SERIOS IF HE STAYED DEAD!

Correct capitalization is your friend. And I never said he was gonna stay dead. I just said he is CURRENTLY dead. If you bothered to read my entire post instead of throwing a hissy fit, you'd see that.

Duffren
2007-04-23, 03:54 PM
Belkar didn't cause his death anymore than Durkon, Haley, Miko, Hinjo, Shojo, Eugene, Mrs. Greenhilt, Fyron, Thog, or the flumph did.

And the oracle wasn't even in Official Oracle Trance when he implied that Belkar wouldn't live to see old age. Belkar's not gonna have a heart attach and drop dead as soon as he fulfills the minimum requirements for his prophecy.

Belkar gave him the Ring of Jumping that put him up there. It may not have been direct, Belkar didnt shove a dagger down his throat or cast the spell, but its still because of Belkar that it was able to happen.
The situation Belkar is currently in is pretty dangerous, and now that his Prophetic armor has been removed I dont think he has much longer left.

blackout
2007-04-23, 04:07 PM
The entire freakin' order is gonna die! And when the order dies...SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE! O_o OH MY GODS! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

j/k, but yes, Roy IS dead. Oh well.

Flak_Razorwill
2007-04-23, 04:10 PM
Yep, he's dead.

Just like Starbuck.

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 04:10 PM
Belkar gave him the Ring of Jumping that put him up there. It may not have been direct, Belkar didnt shove a dagger down his throat or cast the spell, but its still because of Belkar that it was able to happen.
The situation Belkar is currently in is pretty dangerous, and now that his Prophetic armor has been removed I dont think he has much longer left.

The oracle never even specified that Belkar would kill just one of the people on the list.

Anyway, as the numbercrunching above shows, the cause of Roy's death was The Ground.

Zagreen
2007-04-23, 04:12 PM
Belkar hasn't had his final birthday cake yet, has he?

Friv
2007-04-23, 04:22 PM
O MY GOSH HOW MANY TIME'S DO I HAVE TO SPELL IT OUT!!! HE'S THE MAIN CHARICTER THE POINT OF A STORY MAIN CHIRCTER! THIS RING A BELL 2 U?!?!?!? IT ABSURED! IT WOULD RUIN THE ENTIRE SERIOS IF HE STAYED DEAD!

As much as I would like to believe that this post is irony, given its content and grammar, I fear that it is not.

1) Main characters do not get immunity to death. They just get to die in dramatic and impressive ways, thereby causing someone else to have to step up to the plate. This doesn't happen much, because many authors are wimps (and really, you don't always have to kill the main character). Still, I can think of a few series where the "main character" at the beginning is dead halfway through and someone else steps in.

2) This is D&D. Death rarely lasts, especially for a high-powered group that can get the money together to Raise Dead. It's a chance for reflection and understanding, but not a permanent disappearance.

Setra
2007-04-23, 04:23 PM

Last I checked...

Did those Clerics ever raise anyone?

Duffren
2007-04-23, 04:25 PM
The oracle never even specified that Belkar would kill just one of the people on the list.

Anyway, as the numbercrunching above shows, the cause of Roy's death was The Ground.

I suppose Belkar can still kill some people before he bites the big one, but the Oracle also didnt specify how direct or vague or lame the cause of any of those deaths would be. Roy wouldnt have been up there without the Ring, so there is no denying that Belkar played a part in his death.

Mordokai
2007-04-23, 04:25 PM
As much as I hate to say this, I have to agree with you:smallmad:

Oh well, it has already being pointed out that death isn't permanent in D&D, so I'm quite sure that we'll see Roy back. Someday, somehow. I'll be waiting that day patiently. In the mintime, it'll be fun to watch the reactions from the rest of the Order.

Wrane
2007-04-23, 04:26 PM
A TPK and new pc's could allow Rich to take the OOTS in a new direction. There may be masses of uproar but all pc's get retired in one way or another. Plus a OOTS Total Party Kill hoodie would sell.

I can just picture it now gravestones with the first comic they appeared in and the death comic instead of years, clever epitaphs.

Setra
2007-04-23, 04:28 PM
A TPK and new pc's could allow Rich to take the OOTS in a new direction. There may be masses of uproar but all pc's get retired in one way or another. Plus a OOTS Total Party Kill hoodie would sell.

I can just picture it now gravestones with the first comic they appeared in and the death comic instead of years, clever epitaphs.
Or perhaps... TPK, except Elan and Haley, who either retire/get new allies.

Actually.. I sorta would like to see an unhappy ending... but we know Elan will get one... so eh.

Stevenson
2007-04-23, 04:28 PM
Yeah, we know. He's dead. Of course, you assumed the average. Also, assumed HP, stuff we can't know. The Giant might not have done that in his story.

Still, I'm pretty sure he's dead.

Of course, even if he is, he really isn't. I think that Azure City will have enough in it's treasury to cast raise dead or somesuch spell. Or, even if Azure City falls, I think Hailey might spring some cash for Roy.

Oh! And....

Elan gets a happy ending.

Will Elan really, ever be happy if he knows that Roy is dead, and he lives?

Note: Yes, Roy's dead. How long he remains so, however, is something the jury's still out on. That's what I'm trying to say.

Setra
2007-04-23, 04:30 PM
Elan gets a happy ending.

Will Elan really, ever be happy if he knows that Roy is dead, and he lives?
He could, eventually, if he thinks Roy is happy in the afterlife, not to mention he has Haley.

WarriorTribble
2007-04-23, 04:33 PM
Meh, why not accept it? If one read Origin of the stick Roy's dad died several times. In fact when he told Roy he was dying, Roy's initial reaction was a dismissive "great go bother your cleric friends."

sklar dansig
2007-04-23, 04:35 PM
agreed, copletely dead. maybe even more...for now
death isnt inevitable with all those clerics and one spell in particular

Ave
2007-04-23, 04:36 PM

It's just a doozy :)

rosebud
Obiwan died and managed to stay in the story. Gandalf seemed to die, but eventually returned. There's no guarantee Roy will be resurrected. And even if he is, it could be a while. We might get Hinjo as the new main character. Or Julia. Or Ghost Roy. Or Celia.

Remember, this story is greater than one character. And you never know how poorly the contract negotiations went for the fourth season. Perhaps Roy's agents were just asking for too much and this is merely a negotiation strategy.

Tor the Fallen
Uh, resurrection, hello?
He may have died, but dead he ain't.

Setra
2007-04-23, 04:37 PM
How many spells can Raise the Dead?

... Hmm

Raise Dead
Resurrection
True Resurrection
Miracle
Wish

Did I miss any?

Threeshades
2007-04-23, 04:38 PM
Yup, Roy is pretty much as dead as it gets.

For how long remains to be seen.

@Setra
If you forego retaining vital signs and personality you can also count in Animate Dead and Create Undead

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 04:40 PM
Uh, resurrection, hello?
He may have died, but dead he ain't.

Died = Became DEAD! He is DEAD. DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD! His synapses aren't firing, his heart isn't beating, his lungs aren't breathing. He is DEAD!

And, as has been demonstrated numerous times in this comic, death isn't a permanent thing. Obviously, they're gonna resurrect him at the first chance they get.

Setra
2007-04-23, 04:42 PM
To put it simple, and bluntly...

You have to be Dead before someone can Resurrect you, regardless of the fact Roy can still live at a later point, he is dead at this time.

If you forego retaining vital signs and personality you can also count in Animate Dead and Create Undead
Somehow, despite Xykon, I managed to forget about Undead.

Hey would it be possible to raise Roy as like.. a Vampire?

CapnBludd
2007-04-23, 04:44 PM
The brother always gets it.
R.I.P. Roy /salute

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-23, 04:45 PM
Ah but don;t worry. He has this identical twin brother who just got infected by a mind seed with Roy's mind used and there will never be any evidence to the contary, EVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111+shift

Studoku
2007-04-23, 04:45 PM

The oracle said that he should savour his next birthday cake, implying that he has just about a year left, assuming the oracle meant he was going to die. When you see Belkar's birthday, start worrying.

Timespike
2007-04-23, 04:48 PM

... Hmm

Raise Dead
Resurrection
True Resurrection
Miracle
Wish

Did I miss any?

Reincarnate. Roy might not be back as a human.

Threeshades
2007-04-23, 04:51 PM

oh yes and Clone. (But I guess Roy hasnt been cloned anytime lately)

MeklorIlavator
2007-04-23, 04:51 PM
I would say that resurrection is highly likely, with both the ruler of a country and a high level cleric who appears to be good friends with Roy.

But yeah, Roy's dead as a doornail for now.

Raziel3024
2007-04-23, 04:57 PM
You know, I guessed that he would remember the "Not a Booty" Talisman and try to summon Celia, but I thought he'd actually use it in time.

Although I surmised that Roy would consider it at an earlier stage and think "No, I can't bring Celia here. We're probable gonna die. I don't want to bring to what might be her death."

Poor Celia, she's going to be devestated.:frown:

Ultimatum479
2007-04-23, 05:01 PM
...If it turns out Belkar's Ring of Jumping let Roy make his jump check to reduce the damage enough that he survived (your calculations might not be quite accurate; Durkon's buff of Spell Resistance may have taken one of the fingers instead of Roy saving), he's going to be pissed, especially after having to save Hinjo's life too.

But I seriously doubt that.

Rumda
2007-04-23, 05:01 PM
which would be the most comic way to bring him back

PirateMonk
2007-04-23, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I figured that out when I saw the X-eyes.

A thought: will the fall break Celia's Talisman? She probably can't afford the diamond, with student loans and all, and I doubt she can cast any Resurrection spells, but she might be able to call in a few favors. At the very least, Celia vs. Xykon should be worth watching.

And as for Belkar, if this interpretation holds, his death would have been viable the second he gave Roy that ring.

On that point, Reincarnation might fulfill Belkar's unofficial prophecy, since it returns people at the young adult age, as well as having near infinite comic potential; if it happens enough, Belkar need never grow old. That doesn't quite work with the birthday cake comment, barring absurd circumstances (doilies take over the world and ban cake?).

Threeshades
2007-04-23, 05:07 PM
...If it turns out Belkar's Ring of Jumping let Roy make his jump check to reduce the damage enough that he survived (your calculations might not be quite accurate; Durkon's buff of Spell Resistance may have taken one of the fingers instead of Roy saving), he's going to be pissed, especially after having to save Hinjo's life too.

But I seriously doubt that.

in order tu reduce the damage with a jump check, you would need to jump first. But Roy got the dragon blasted away beneath his feet, so I dont think he got to use it.

Oh and: X_X = Dead

Yeah, I figured that out when I saw the X-eyes.

A thought: will the fall break Celia's Talisman? She probably can't afford the diamond, with student loans and all, and I doubt she can cast any Resurrection spells, but she might be able to call in a few favors. At the very least, Celia vs. Xykon should be worth watching.

And as for Belkar, if this interpretation holds, his death would have been viable the second he gave Roy that ring.

On that point, Reincarnation might fulfill Belkar's unofficial prophecy, since it returns people at the young adult age, as well as having near infinite comic potential; if it happens enough, Belkar need never grow old. That doesn't quite work with the birthday cake comment, barring absurd circumstances (doilies take over the world and ban cake?).
You can see the talisman lying on the ground in the last panel. So the fall didnt break it.

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-23, 05:09 PM
Died = Became DEAD! He is DEAD. DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD! His synapses aren't firing, his heart isn't beating, his lungs aren't breathing. He is DEAD!

And, as has been demonstrated numerous times in this comic, death isn't a permanent thing. Obviously, they're gonna resurrect him at the first chance they get.

No.
Captain America is Dead.
Roy is taking a dirt nap.

Setra
2007-04-23, 05:10 PM
which would be the most comic way to bring him back
That happened in another comic...

A Metagaming Il... il.. Psionic.. thingy.. that I can't spell, got brought back as a Kobold.

I think Roy would make a good Dwarf.

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 05:14 PM
No.
Captain America is Dead.

Do you do this every time a pet dies? Do you cradle it in your arms and ask it why it's not licking your face?

Setra
2007-04-23, 05:15 PM
um.. Isn't taking a dirt nap just a metaphor for "He's dead"?

PiperlyonWiz5
2007-04-23, 05:22 PM
Roy is not dead. if the were, then the story would have no meaning and not properly examplify the entire d and d game. there has to be atleast one gut who has a huge sword in every party. it's like an un-written rule in the entire game!

EYanyo
2007-04-23, 05:24 PM

I bet it will be Haley. Here's how it goes down: She finally has accumulated enough gold to negotiate her father's release, but then has to use part of it to pay for resurrecting Roy. We don't want to tie up any loose plot ends here, do we?

The brother always gets it.
R.I.P. Roy /salute

Hmm... isn't that like the unwritten law of horror movies? :smallconfused:

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 05:26 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d41/assassinfox/picard.jpg

malakim2099
2007-04-23, 05:27 PM
Yep, he's dead.

Just like Starbuck.

If Roy shows up and tells Durkon that he knows the way to Earth in strip #450, I quit. :smalltongue:

Roy is dead. However...

There are at least two clerics (counting Durkon) capable of casting a raise dead/resurrection spell. And I think Hinjo would definitely, if he was alive/capable, allow the diamonds that would have been used to raise Shojo to be used for Roy instead. Especially after he railroaded Roy into that bodyguard position anyway.

I mean, really, now Roy just has the first 'dead' year/date to put onto his eventual tombstone. He'll be back, hopefully sooner than later, as I think even the Roy-haters would think the strip would be pretty boring without him.

Raziel3024
2007-04-23, 05:28 PM
Love the picture, AssassinFox
:biggrin:

Black Hand
2007-04-23, 05:33 PM
OOOOOO, I wonder if he'll be Animated?

the_tick_rules
2007-04-23, 05:33 PM
i hope it'll work out. if not we'll all need to get candles and sing songs and stuff.

Suraht
2007-04-23, 05:37 PM

They'd have to wait for Roy to grow up again, wouldn't they?

Then again, we could have Roy come back as a woman, which hits a layer of irony.

jscheibel
2007-04-23, 05:38 PM
Is there a roy is dead fan club yet?

jindra34
2007-04-23, 05:39 PM
They'd have to wait for Roy to grow up again, wouldn't they?

Then again, we could have Roy come back as a woman, which hits a layer of irony.

No you reincarnate as a young man/woman same gender i believe...

PirateMonk
2007-04-23, 05:42 PM
in order tu reduce the damage with a jump check, you would need to jump first. But Roy got the dragon blasted away beneath his feet, so I dont think he got to use it.

Oh and: X_X = Dead

You can see the talisman lying on the ground in the last panel. So the fall didnt break it.

Oh, yeah, you're right. Could falling meteor bits still crush it?

Deepblue706
2007-04-23, 05:43 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_journey

Death ---> Rebirth

Always in the path of a Hero.

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 05:43 PM
Love the picture, AssassinFox
:biggrin:

Stole it from Merlin the Tuna. :smalltongue:

Hyrael
2007-04-23, 05:45 PM

... Hmm

Raise Dead
Resurrection
True Resurrection
Miracle
Wish

Did I miss any?
Clone? It's high level, and takes a couple of months, but it does technically raise the dead.

Threeshades
2007-04-23, 05:48 PM
Clone? It takes more time to set up, but It could work.

I already mentioned clone. And the clone has to be set up while the original is still alive IIRC. So if he hasnt been cloned already it wont work.

KurenaiYami
2007-04-23, 06:04 PM
Roy is not dead.

Yeah, he totally is. Note the X's for eyes.

if the were,
(He is.)

then the story would have no meaning and not properly examplify the entire d and d game.
Nobody has ever died in any of your games?

there has to be atleast one gut who has a huge sword in every party. it's like an un-written rule in the entire game!
Your games frighten me, but his being dead does not bar him from coming back. His world has magic. Lots and lots of magic.

Roquen
2007-04-23, 06:18 PM
Face it: You don't get death fingered, hit by meteorites, and go plunging straight into a ground and then MIRACULOUSLY SURVIVE.

Actually this depends of your level. :P

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 06:20 PM
Actually this depends of your level. :P

Teeheehee. Got me there. Maybe I should correct it to say "at or under level 13". :smalltongue:

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-23, 06:23 PM

Nah.
Captain America is Dead.
Disco is Dead.

dekai
2007-04-23, 06:25 PM
:smallfrown: Reasons why Roy must be dead:
1. Make a great first issue/troubles for Haley and Elan
2. Xs for eyes
3. Fell couple thousand feet
4. Not as many fans of Roy as other characters

:smallsmile: Reasons why Ron can't be dead:
1. Major character
2. Poor little Elan's "Surrogate brother"
3. Ressurection (er duh)
4. Very abrupt end, not serious enough

Lord Anath'Kash
2007-04-23, 06:29 PM
"Waatch us here at Azure city pull 10,000gp's worth of diamonds OUT of thin air!"

Dude, undead seige! They're going to empty the coffers helping the masses, not one fighter who did a really stupid thing.

Roy is dead

-Lord Anath'kash

The Extinguisher
2007-04-23, 06:38 PM
I don't see Roy getting brought back anytime soon, just as much as I don't see Miko regaining her Paladinness.

You know why? This is a story, not a D&D game. Sure, death may not be permanent in D&D, but in a story, building up to a major characters death, and then bringing him back is BAD STORYTELLING, and Rich is not a bad storyteller.

The only way I see Roy coming back, is by Zombification.

malakim2099
2007-04-23, 06:42 PM
"Waatch us here at Azure city pull 10,000gp's worth of diamonds OUT of thin air!"

Dude, undead seige! They're going to empty the coffers helping the masses, not one fighter who did a really stupid thing.

Roy is dead

-Lord Anath'kash

As has been pointed out, they have about 10,000gp in diamonds leftover from trying to Res Shojo. However, if you really need 5-10,000 in diamonds, just imagine...

:haley: No, I WON'T give up my diamonds! My precious precious diamonds!
:elan: But... But... But... :eek:
:haley: AUGH! ALRIGHT ALREADY!!! *mutters about love stinking as she hands over the loot*

Besides, Roy saved Hinjo's life on multiple occasions (against Miko and the Ninjas of Many Colors, to name two), so I'm pretty sure Hinjo, if he's able to, will fork over the $ for a raise dead/res.

The Extinguisher
2007-04-23, 06:44 PM
They don't have the diamonds from the attemted ressurection of Shojo.

They have to crush them into powder and pour it over the body, IIRC. And the fee is non-refundable if the spirit isn't willing.

They'll need more diamonds.

hrak
2007-04-23, 06:49 PM
yea he is dead...

Ruduen
2007-04-23, 07:18 PM
They don't have the diamonds from the attemted ressurection of Shojo.

They have to crush them into powder and pour it over the body, IIRC. And the fee is non-refundable if the spirit isn't willing.

They'll need more diamonds.

Considering that the cleric was holding the same intact diamond for both castings, I'm going to assume that that's probably off.

But yeah, there's a very good chance that Roy'll be raised or animated. Even if Hinjo doesn't feel like paying for it (which I doubt), then it's still possible for Roy to get resurrected.

"... drum up the cash for a True Resurrection spell, and BAM!"

It costs maybe 27,000 gold maximum, including the diamonds, 25,000 less if they provide the diamonds. Of course, the hard part is finding somebody who can cast the spell. Still, it's a cleric spell, and if they provide the materials, it's possible. Even if he's zombified, True Resurrection would still work.

Finwe
2007-04-23, 08:12 PM
I believe I can shed some more light onto the situation:

He's passed on. Roy is no more. He has ceased to be. He has expired and gone to meet his maker. He is a stiff. Bereft of life. He rests is peace. His metabolic processes are now history. He's off the twig. He's kicked the bucket. He's shifted off his mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleeding choir invisible! He is an EX-ROY

Lord Anath'Kash
2007-04-23, 08:47 PM

He's passed on. Roy is no more. He has ceased to be. He has expired and gone to meet his maker. He is a stiff. Bereft of life. He rests is peace. His metabolic processes are now history. He's off the twig. He's kicked the bucket. He's shifted off his mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleeding choir invisible! He is an EX-ROY

Hear hear.

KurenaiYami
2007-04-23, 08:48 PM

Now for a fun twist, lets make some metaphors for death that are D&D specific!

Instead of six feet under and pushing up daisies, he could be 10 hit points under and pushing up treants. (Yeah, those suck, but you get the idea.)

The first one that sprung to mind was "trip the light Celestial" until I realized that refers to dancing...

J_Muller
2007-04-23, 08:50 PM
...You know, I just can't resist.

"Roy is dead!"--Assassinfox
"Assassinfox is dead."--Roy.

Assassinfox, you'd better keep an eye out...:smalltongue:

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 08:51 PM

I think you're confusing me with Nietzche. :smallwink:

jindra34
2007-04-23, 08:52 PM
...You know, I just can't resist.

Assassinfox, you'd better keep an eye out...:smalltongue:

J_Muller you are now person 7346 on my list... it was empty a week ago too...

J_Muller
2007-04-23, 08:54 PM
J_Muller you are now person 7346 on my list... it was empty a week ago too...

Well, at least I'll have a while to wait before you work your way down...:smalltongue:

KurenaiYami
2007-04-23, 08:59 PM
Well, at least I'll have a while to wait before you work your way down...:smalltongue:

News Anchor: "In other news, the inexplicable deaths of 7345 innocent people have been confirmed. We are unsure of the culprit, but the bodies were lined up in such a fashion that, when viewed from the air, they spelled "J_Muller. Police are baffled as to what this could mean."

jindra34
2007-04-23, 09:01 PM
News Anchor: "In other news, the inexplicable deaths of 7345 innocent people have been confirmed. We are unsure of the culprit, but the bodies were lined up in such a fashion that, when viewed from the air, they spelled "J_Muller. Police are baffled as to what this could mean."

Current number is 534... shadow assasins kill quickly...

cavalier973
2007-04-23, 09:01 PM

... Hmm

Raise Dead
Resurrection
True Resurrection
Miracle
Wish

Did I miss any?

He could live on in the memory of his friends. Elan could write "The Ballad of Roy Greenhilt", with an ending indicating that Roy will return, someday (like King Arthur). Roy would then live on in the hopes of good people everywhere.

Stormcrow
2007-04-23, 09:03 PM
Its what he gets for monologueing honestly.

PsyBlade
2007-04-23, 09:16 PM
One simple question. Who wants him to stay dead, and if so, for how long?

I think him getting raised sometime before OotS scoots off to the next Gate would have the most comedic effect. But I'm not a Giant, so I could be mistaken, EASILY.

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 09:20 PM
One simple question. Who wants him to stay dead, and if so, for how long?

I think him getting raised sometime before OotS scoots off to the next Gate would have the most comedic effect. But I'm not a Giant, so I could be mistaken, EASILY.

I just want him to be included in future comics, either as a ghost, some quirky undead, or being resurrected/reincarnated. It'd be a shame to kick such a great character out of the comic entirely.

Still, the first step to getting him resurrected is recognizing that HE IS DEAD! :smalltongue:

Tolkien_Freak
2007-04-23, 09:28 PM
Considering everyone thinks he's dead, he's probably not dead.

Just a thought.

Assassinfox
2007-04-23, 09:30 PM

Just a thought.

Kinda like the time everyone thought Shojo was dead?

jindra34
2007-04-23, 09:32 PM

Just a thought.

HE IS DEAD HIS EYES ARE X'S HE'S TAKEN MORE DAMAGE THAN HIS POSSIBLE MAX COULD BE HE IS DEAD... D_E_A_D DEAD:mad:
your #7347

Threeshades
2007-04-24, 05:09 AM
Kinda like the time everyone thought Shojo was dead?

Or when everyone thought Sangwaan was dead...

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-24, 05:23 AM
Wait, maybe Roy is not dead but simply the remains of a computer controlled space probe that collided with Roy...

....wait that makes no sense.

Roderick_BR
2007-04-24, 05:58 AM
Wait, people still think he's not dead? O_o
I know for a fact that he's dead, even if I like him, and hope they'll get a ressurrection soon.

Delgarde
2007-04-24, 06:02 AM

I.e, the fun option. Maybe you'll stay human, maybe you'll end up an elf. Or maybe you'll become a kobold... :)

Threeshades
2007-04-24, 06:03 AM
I.e, the fun option. Maybe you'll stay human, maybe you'll end up an elf. Or maybe you'll become a kobold... :)

or a badger

evilash
2007-04-24, 06:12 AM
He's not dead, he just moved to a nice farm in the countryside where he can play in the fields... :smalltongue:

Strengfellow
2007-04-24, 06:13 AM
The best thing about DnD death is that it isnt terminal what it is, is bloody annoying and absolute hell on your clothes.

You try wakeing up in your soiled armour and having to excuse yourself so you can sort out the mess.

Now Roy's face in that circumstance would be priceless.

Delgarde
2007-04-24, 06:13 AM
or a badger

Not by standard rules - it's not on the list - but yeah, possible if the GM is feeling creative and you combine it with Awaken or something... :)

"you've been reincarnated as an dire badger..."

Threeshades
2007-04-24, 07:38 AM
Not by standard rules - it's not on the list - but yeah, possible if the GM is feeling creative and you combine it with Awaken or something... :)

"you've been reincarnated as an dire badger..."

i thought it was. Then it was something very similar to a badger. I'm almost sure.

Edit:
just checked the SRD, there really arent any badgers. Then maybe i must be thinking of 3.0 rules. Because i know i have seen that it was possible to reincarnate as an animal.

factotum
2007-04-24, 07:53 AM
I've seen several people talk about there being left-over diamonds from the attempt to raise Shojo. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the material component for a spell is used up even if the spell fails, so that diamond is gone.

Threeshades
2007-04-24, 08:00 AM
I've seen several people talk about there being left-over diamonds from the attempt to raise Shojo. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the material component for a spell is used up even if the spell fails, so that diamond is gone.

I agree. But there might be more, where that came from.

Vulion
2007-04-24, 08:43 AM
Roy IS dead, beyond any doubt, I mean, his eyes are frickin' x's for god's sake. Is he gonna stay dead, hell no.:smallbiggrin:

Gitman00
2007-04-24, 09:25 AM
Stop the spam. No one said he wouldn't be rezzed.

Well, at least one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2461092&postcount=49) poster did. I was pretty sure at first that he'd be resurrected, but now I'm kind of torn on the matter. As has been pointed out, everyone thus far whose eyes go XX has stayed dead, permanently. And now that I think about it, there hasn't actually been a successful resurrection in the entire run of the comic. There are lots of ways to make Roy's death permanent, and I must call everyone's attention to the fact that when he fell, Roy was on his way out over the battlefield. That means he's a lot closer to the bad guys than the good guys right now.

I just want him to be included in future comics, either as a ghost, some quirky undead, or being resurrected/reincarnated. It'd be a shame to kick such a great character out of the comic entirely.

Still, the first step to getting him resurrected is recognizing that HE IS DEAD! :smalltongue:

I like the ghost idea. He could even remain in the party, theoretically. There are some cool ghost-oriented classes in the Ghostwalk book.

Friv
2007-04-24, 10:09 AM
Well, at least one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2461092&postcount=49) poster did. I was pretty sure at first that he'd be resurrected, but now I'm kind of torn on the matter. As has been pointed out, everyone thus far whose eyes go XX has stayed dead, permanently. And now that I think about it, there hasn't actually been a successful resurrection in the entire run of the comic.

Other than Roy's father, who (as was pointed out somewhere) has multiple "date of death" and "ressurection" dates on his tombstone. ;)

Gitman00
2007-04-24, 10:23 AM
Other than Roy's father, who (as was pointed out somewhere) has multiple "date of death" and "ressurection" dates on his tombstone. ;)

Well, yeah, but that happened off-screen and chronologically prior to the events of the webcomic, so I don't count it. It's one thing for the comic to make a reference to something like that; it's quite another for it to actually be shown.

Fawkes
2007-04-24, 10:34 AM
And now that I think about it, there hasn't actually been a successful resurrection in the entire run of the comic.

Well then don't you think we're about due for one?

mockingbyrd7
2007-04-24, 12:34 PM

You need to spell it out until you can spell it correctly. :smallamused:

(And from the look of your post, I fear that could take quite a while...)

malakim2099
2007-04-24, 01:23 PM
Well, yeah, but that happened off-screen and chronologically prior to the events of the webcomic, so I don't count it. It's one thing for the comic to make a reference to something like that; it's quite another for it to actually be shown.

Well, the point would be that in the OOTS-verse, raise deads/resurrections do happen frequently, so Roy getting raised is pretty likely. The question would be when and how.

Though to people thinking Redcloak would turn Roy into an undead...

Why would he bother? There's hordes of other hobgoblins corpses, which are by default tougher than humans, and he doesn't recognize the Order of the Stick much better than Xykon does. He just thinks they're adventurers, nothing more than that. And he might not even realize how high level Roy was/is (considering how Xykon pretty much crushed him in a single round. Gotta love facing a monster 6-7 levels higher).

Wrane
2007-04-24, 02:09 PM
i thought it was. Then it was something very similar to a badger. I'm almost sure.

Edit:
just checked the SRD, there really arent any badgers. Then maybe i must be thinking of 3.0 rules. Because i know i have seen that it was possible to reincarnate as an animal.

in 2.0 you rolled on a table for reincarnate and could wind up as:

01-05 bugbear
06-11 Dwarf
12-18 Elf
19-23 Gnoll
24-28 Gnome
29-33 goblin
34-40 half elf
41-47 halfling
48-54 half orc
55-59 hobgoblin
60-73 human
74-79 Kobold
80-85 Orc
86-90 Orge
91-95 Orge mage
96-00 Troll

in 3.0
01-03 Badger
04-09 Bear, black
10-13 Bear brown
14-17 Boar
18-25 Centaur
26-28 dryad
29-32 Eagle
33-42 elf
43-46 gnome
47-48 Hawk
49-58 Halfling
59-78 Human
79-80 Leopard
81-82 Owl
83-86 Pixie
87-90 Satyr
91-96 Wolf
97-99 Wolverine
100 Dm's choice

why did I ever look that up? and why do I still have the phb from 2.0

spite48
2007-04-24, 02:17 PM
A Roy Zombie has huge comedic potential, and I think Redcloak would recognize the morale-impairing effects of having Roy craving brains. Does animating a corpse prevent it's eventual resurection?

Gitman00
2007-04-24, 02:25 PM
Well, the point would be that in the OOTS-verse, raise deads/resurrections do happen frequently, so Roy getting raised is pretty likely. The question would be when and how.

Though to people thinking Redcloak would turn Roy into an undead...

Why would he bother? There's hordes of other hobgoblins corpses, which are by default tougher than humans, and he doesn't recognize the Order of the Stick much better than Xykon does. He just thinks they're adventurers, nothing more than that. And he might not even realize how high level Roy was/is (considering how Xykon pretty much crushed him in a single round. Gotta love facing a monster 6-7 levels higher).

Speculations follow:

Yeah, I get that the ready availability of resurrection spells makes it likely for Roy to be raised, but just playing devil's advocate, the counter-argument is from a literary perspective: rezzing him would cheapen his death scene. No one who has been given a dramatic death in this comic has been resurrected, and any resurrections that have happened have only been implied, not shown. To resurrect Roy after 443 would change the whole dynamic.

Of course, I argued in another thread that Roy would probably be back because:

1. He's the main protagonist. The story is about him more than anyone else.
2. His death didn't accomplish anything toward any of his objectives.*
3. There are too many plot points involving him that haven't been resolved.

*This one would be perfectly acceptable in a tragedy, but it's a little jarring in a comedy.

I honestly can't say which I'd prefer (permanent or temporary), but either is feasible at this point.

Oh, and he'll only make a 2d12 hp zombie. Class levels don't count for Animate Dead.

happyturtle
2007-04-24, 02:38 PM
I don't understand reincarnation... your spirit comes back as a young adult of whatever creature you roll. So what happens to the spirit that inhabited that body for the first part of its life? Or does it send you back in time so you can grow up again? Or does it create the body when the spell is cast?

Me confused.

jindra34
2007-04-24, 02:42 PM
I don't understand reincarnation... your spirit comes back as a young adult of whatever creature you roll. So what happens to the spirit that inhabited that body for the first part of its life? Or does it send you back in time so you can grow up again? Or does it create the body when the spell is cast?

Me confused.

It makes a body...

Threeshades
2007-04-24, 02:45 PM
It makes a body...

correct, it's an entirely new body, grown out of at least a small portion of your old body. (a chunk of meat or something)

LordVader
2007-04-24, 03:49 PM
I completely agree with the battlestar galactica reference earlier.
Also, I don't believe he's permanently dead. He is only the symbol for the comic, after all. If Azure City can true ressurect Shojo, then there should be no problems with ressurecting Roy. The main concern now is that there's no one to stop Xykon from attacking the gate. Has anyone thought about that?

Setra
2007-04-24, 04:12 PM
correct, it's an entirely new body, grown out of at least a small portion of your old body. (a chunk of meat or something)
Could you reincarnate, say, a Weasel into a human or something?

Tolkien_Freak
2007-04-24, 05:00 PM
Just for the record, I didn't say I believed my thought, I only stated it was a thought. Though it would be nice if we could actually have a discussion about it without someone ranting their head off immediately.

And just because something happened one way previously doesn't mean it will happen exactly the same way again. It's a classic apriorism: assuming everything in a category is the same as one or two things in that category.

Assassinfox
2007-04-24, 05:11 PM
Still, your argument that the Giant will go "PSYCHE! I FOOLED YOU!" and spontaneously have Roy jump up and go "I'm okay!" and charge off to do Epic Battle is far fetched. And this isn't a matter of "thinking" he's dead. He IS dead. It'd be like if Miko fell and then magically regaining her powers in the strip directly after just because everyone "thought" she lost her powers.

Luthien
2007-04-24, 05:23 PM
I've never played D&D nor have I ever even seen a twenty-sided die in real life, but didn't someone say something about resurrecting the dead and using them for zombies? I think it was Elan when he was giving his...inspirational speech before the battle started. I haven't read every single post so maybe someone's brought this up before, but could that happen to Roy? Could someone zombify him?

Assassinfox
2007-04-24, 05:26 PM
I've never played D&D nor have I ever even seen a twenty-sided die in real life, but didn't someone say something about resurrecting the dead and using them for zombies? I think it was Elan when he was giving his...inspirational speech before the battle started. I haven't read every single post so maybe someone's brought this up before, but could that happen to Roy? Could someone zombify him?

Yes, it could happen to him. It'd be kinda neat, in a tragic sorta way.

The term for that is animating, though. Animating is turning stuff into zombies and stuff. Resurrecting is for bringing someone back to actual life.

The Extinguisher
2007-04-24, 05:31 PM
I agree. Roy's coming back as a zombie. There's been way too much forshadowing. And just *boom* ressurection is stupid and is not OOTS level storytelling.

He's a zombie.

Samurai General
2007-04-24, 05:34 PM
Hes the main ****ing caracter! THEY DON'T DIE!!!!!!!

EDIT: Exept in the Matrix.

Vhaidara
2007-04-24, 05:35 PM
He's dead, but, incase you forgot, I will now quote Belkar: "Durkon can cast Ressurection like 3-4 times a day!" And as far as the diamonds, I'm sure Hinjo could find some.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-04-24, 05:42 PM
Still, your argument that the Giant will go "PSYCHE! I FOOLED YOU!" and spontaneously have Roy jump up and go "I'm okay!" and charge off to do Epic Battle is far fetched. And this isn't a matter of "thinking" he's dead. He IS dead. It'd be like if Miko fell and then magically regaining her powers in the strip directly after just because everyone "thought" she lost her powers.

Agreed, that is far-fetched. If my theory is true (which I'm not saying it is), it would go something like 'he can be saved' or something, not 'I'm OK!'. I'm just saying that it's a possibility that he's not COMPLETELY dead.

jindra34
2007-04-24, 05:43 PM
Agreed, that is far-fetched. If my theory is true (which I'm not saying it is), it would go something like 'he can be saved' or something, not 'I'm OK!'. I'm just saying that it's a possibility that he's not COMPLETELY dead.

Do YOu NOT SEEE THEEE X'S FOR EYES

Assassinfox
2007-04-24, 05:54 PM

So what is he? Partially dead? He's either dead or he's not. Roy is, as evident from the circumstances, numbers, and X eyes, DEAD!

jindra34
2007-04-24, 05:56 PM
So what is he? Partially dead? He's either dead or he's not. Roy is, as evident from the circumstances, numbers, and X eyes, DEAD!

Thats what the 15 time we have stated that fact in this thread alone... some people are just really dense...

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-04-24, 06:04 PM
Doesn't mean he can't be resurected.

jindra34
2007-04-24, 06:06 PM
Doesn't mean he can't be resurected.

we know but we got tired off all the ROY IS NOT DEAD posts...

Boojum
2007-04-24, 06:07 PM
Hmm... a main character falling to his death after a fiery cataclysmic bang. And a "giant in the playground." And all this discussion of talking as a free (timeless?) action. So I have to ask:

"Tick. You're alive. Tock... Well, it was a good life, but a short one. Tick, tock. Tick, tock. Tick..." Where's Roy's Lorien? :-)

Tolkien_Freak
2007-04-24, 06:21 PM

This is what I was talking about when I said I wished to carry on a discussion without ranting or shouting. And I never said I agreed with my theory, I was simply attempting to argue a possibility. I was merely playing 'devil's advocate', and hoping for an intelligent discussion with no yelling or demeaning comments involved. And yes, looking at the comic again, he does look dead. And he probably is dead. We just don't know for sure, and looking from an impartial observer's point of view, it may seem like you don't have enough evidence to support your theory and are yelling and demeaning in an attempt to fill the gap. Please, prove to me your point without yelling at me or attempting to insult my intelligence.

And as an afterthought, Sangwaan's death has never been proven. There has been nothing directly confirming that she is dead, though it does seem highly likely that she is.

jindra34
2007-04-24, 06:22 PM
This is what I was talking about when I said I wished to carry on a discussion without ranting or shouting. And I never said I agreed with my theory, I was simply attempting to argue a possibility. I was merely playing 'devil's advocate', and hoping for an intelligent discussion with no yelling or demeaning comments involved. And yes, looking at the comic again, he does look dead. And he probably is dead. We just don't know for sure, and looking from an impartial observer's point of view, it may seem like you don't have enough evidence to support your theory and are yelling and demeaning in an attempt to fill the gap. Please, prove to me your point without yelling at me or attempting to insult my intelligence.

And as an afterthought, Sangwaan's death has never been proven. There has been nothing directly confirming that she is dead, though it does seem highly likely that she is.

Then go look at the first post in the thread...

Assassinfox
2007-04-24, 06:27 PM
it may seem like you don't have enough evidence to support your theory and are yelling and demeaning in an attempt to fill the gap.

I've already presented all my evidence in the opening post of this topic. Roy miraculously surviving is NOT a possibility. Besides how unrealistic it would be for him to survive all that, X's for eyes is a universal symbol of death. Every time the giant has shown it before, it meant that character was dead.

Which is why I'm still hoping she survived. :smallfrown:

Anyway, I apologize for my "cyber yelling". I find people's denial of his physical death to be very immature and frustrating. I also apologize for jindra's insults to your intelligence.

* bops jindra over the head *

Tolkien_Freak
2007-04-24, 06:27 PM
Thank you, Assassinfox.

Alright, that is acceptable. That is what I was looking for, and it would have been nice if someone had previously directed me to that. (I will admit to not reading it previously, I assumed there would be enough discussion that I wouldn't have to.)

So, this thread should die, everything necessary having been stated in the original post. There seems now no point in discussion.

Squark
2007-04-24, 06:49 PM

Uh-oh... I see a The Princess Bride reference here...

... Hmm

Raise Dead
Resurrection
True Resurrection
Miracle
Wish
Reincarnation
Psionic Revify
Reality Revision

Did I miss any?
Yes. Missed ones are in red. Mind you, this is just the ones in the SRD.

Jayabalard
2007-04-25, 09:01 AM
oh I agree, he's mostly dead... but there's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

Assassinfox
2007-04-25, 09:55 AM
oh I agree, he's mostly dead... but there's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

Search the body for loose change? :smallwink:

Deepblue706
2007-04-25, 10:02 AM
I wonder if this will be at all like The Venture Bros (spoiler follows): The two brothers died at the end of season 1. First episode of season 2, it's revealed they actually died like 12 times already, and they've just been cloned each time. Who knows, maybe Durkon has had to raise Roy already, on several occassions, and not everyone has realized?

Haruki-kun
2007-04-25, 10:33 AM
I really don't think I can speculate on anything anymore. I think it's likely that he won't be coming bck, even though it's possible.

You can't just bring characters back to life all the time, or it becomes boring. The chracters' lives have to be in DANGER, and dying with the possibility of ressurrection is not danger.

Also, people in the forums always remember resurrection, but........ did you notice we haven't seen a successful resurrection ONCE in the comic?
Origin's stuff:
It was hinted with Roy's dad, but we didn't actually see it. Tat was more like a joke than a real plot point.

Jayabalard
2007-04-25, 10:44 AM
did you notice we haven't seen a successful resurrection ONCE in the comic?Did you notice that the one failed resurrection in the comic was for an old guy who had a choice of coming back and serving the remainder of his few years in prison, or continuing to sip scotch and smoke cigars in his CG afterlife?

Gitman00
2007-04-25, 10:52 AM
Did you notice that the one failed resurrection in the comic was for an old guy who had a choice of coming back and serving the remainder of his few years in prison, or continuing to sip scotch and smoke cigars in his CG afterlife?

Circumstances aside, the point remains, and it is certainly worth noting. Resurrection has been hinted at, but never shown.

Fawkes
2007-04-25, 10:52 AM
Circumstances aside, the point remains, and it is certainly worth noting. Resurrection has been hinted at, but never shown.

That really doesn't prove anything, man.

wowy319
2007-04-25, 11:01 AM

of course. th author of this thread already said he would. He never disagreed with that fact.

Baron
2007-04-25, 11:38 AM
Baron Von Mod: There are already enough discussions around Roy being dead and this one is fairly heated.

I am tempted to issue all sorts of infractions to people, but I am going to hold off. Those that have gotten close to infractions be paid close attention in the future.

Play nice kids.