PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Fusion: a Door to XP-free Powers?

Pippin
2015-06-03, 09:40 AM
[...] The fused being knows all the powers you and the other creature know, has the sum of your and the other creature’s power points, and knows or has prepared any spells you or the other creature possesses (if any). Likewise, all feats, racial abilities, and class features are pooled [...]
I bolded the loophole, although most people know this already.

So I've been trying to find a 100% legal way to manifest powers with XP cost without actually paying the cost. Unfortunately, all the tricks I've found so far would still make me pay the cost, then regain the XP in some way (Do the Wight Thing or use a Thought Bottle). People would also suggest the use of Fission whose description doesn't address XP costs, but most people would agree that the lack of information doesn't mean you pay nothing. (Given the rest of the description, that was very unlikely intended.)

To me there's only one way to avoid XP costs, and that's being a Dweomerkeeper, so I looked it up. For the rest of this post, I'm assuming that I'm trying to manifest a power with a manifesting time of 1 round or more, otherwise that's too easy.

[...] Manifesting a power altered by this feat means that you must choose two powers--one you intend to manifest in this round, and one you intend to manifest in the next round. The power that is manifested in this round is not altered in any way, nor is the linked power that goes off in the next round--however, you do not need to spend any of your actions or power points next round to manifest the linked power. [...]

[...] Once per day as a standard action, she can use any one spell with a casting time of up to 1 standard action as a supernatural ability. [...] The spell functions as it normally would and is expended normally, but the dweomerkeeper does not require any components, does not provoke attacks of opportunity, and ignores the target's spell resistance, just as if she were using a supernatural ability instead of a spell. [...]

Let's suppose you manifest Fusion with a Dweomerkeeper 4/Ardent 1 (Magic Mantle). Linked Power states you do not spend an action, nor PPs, when you manifest the linked power in the following round, but since the description doesn't address XP costs, you supposedly pay it at the time you manifest the linked power (during the following round) even though you don't spend PP at that time. Since you're about to manifest a power with a manifesting time of 1 free action, which is less than or equal to 1 standard action, you should be able to use the Dweomerkeeper's class feature and dodge the XP cost by spending 1 standard action to manifest the power.

If for some reason the timing at which you pay the XP cost is at the same time you manifest the first power, then nothing prevents you from using the Dweomerkeeper's class feature at that point and dodge the XP cost (provided that the first power has a manifesting time of up to 1 standard action). That shouldn't enable you to avoid paying PPs though, since PPs aren't components. (Unless I'm mistaken, that's what the CStP Erudite's class feature implies.)

So, what do you think? One could argue that this trick (should it work) isn't that cheesy because you still pay 50 XP for Fusion, so you can't repeat this endlessly ^^

Psyren
2015-06-03, 10:03 AM
"Isn't that cheesy?" Magic Mantle for Super-Transparency is very cheesy. You may as well use the Su Psionics trick and skip Dweomerkeeper completely.

Pippin
2015-06-03, 10:07 AM
You may as well use the Su Psionics trick and skip Dweomerkeeper completely.
Oh, what's that?

Psyren
2015-06-03, 10:11 AM
Basically if you're going with the interpretation that "Magic Mantle = Super Transparency" then it will cause psi-like abilities to be treated like spell-like abilities. Since all powers are psi-like abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#psiLikeAbilities), this would allow you to treat them all like spell-like abilities, and therefore apply Supernatural Transformation to them. No more points or XP costs.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-03, 10:20 AM
So I've been trying to find a 100% legal way to manifest powers with XP cost without actually paying the cost.

Supernatural Transformation.

Pippin
2015-06-03, 10:21 AM
Basically if you're going with the interpretation that "Magic Mantle = Super Transparency" then it will cause psi-like abilities to be treated like spell-like abilities. Since all powers are psi-like abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#psiLikeAbilities), this would allow you to treat them all like spell-like abilities, and therefore apply Supernatural Transformation to them. No more points or XP costs.
I don't know what they were thinking when they wrote this. That doesn't even make sense :smallsigh: It's probably better to do as if this line doesn't exist.

Psyren
2015-06-03, 10:26 AM
The best part is that it is singular - "The manifestation of powers by a psionic character is considered a psi-like ability/" This means you'd only have to take Supernatural Transformation once to cover every single power you know and will ever learn, because they all collectively fall under your ability to manifest them.

But again, if you're really worried about cheese, just avoid the Magic Mantle thing entirely.