PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sorcerer Archetype ll Blood Sorcerer [PEACH!]

demonickin0
2015-06-03, 10:48 AM
Blood Sorcerer have the ability to use their blood as a weapon. An Blood Sorcerer is a spontaneous caster and is an Blood Sorcerer at birth, sometimes it just takes longer for some to realize this power. It is said that the first Blood Sorcerer was created by a vampire goddess.

https://merovia.obsidianportal.com/wikis/blood-sorcerer

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-03, 01:42 PM
I see what you're going for here, but I think the balance is a little off.

Given how few spells actually need material components, I'd advise you rethink the 'Power of Sin' mechanic. On balance, I'd say it's more of a drawback than a feature. Also, costing 1 HP to cast a first-level spell is going to get annoying, from a bookkeeping perspective. If you want to cast from blood, I'd make it cost Hit Dice. That way, you're costing significant, easily-tracked resources, and you give yourself license to do something more powerful than replace material components.

On the other hand, 'Staunch' seems very powerful. It takes all the tension and drama out of being downed and turns it into a simple matter of action economy. It makes perfect sense fluff-wise, but... I don't know. How do you even kill a level 6 Blood Mage?

And 'Exquisite Blood' is ten times better than similar abilities on other classes. A rogue can do a LOT of slashing damage in one hit at level 14. I'd change it to make it 5 + Con mod HP, keyed off any melee weapon hit (still costing a reaction).

demonickin0
2015-06-03, 02:02 PM
I see what you're going for here, but I think the balance is a little off.

Given how few spells actually need material components, I'd advise you rethink the 'Power of Sin' mechanic. On balance, I'd say it's more of a drawback than a feature. Also, costing 1 HP to cast a first-level spell is going to get annoying, from a bookkeeping perspective. If you want to cast from blood, I'd make it cost Hit Dice. That way, you're costing significant, easily-tracked resources, and you give yourself license to do something more powerful than replace material components.

On the other hand, 'Staunch' seems very powerful. It takes all the tension and drama out of being downed and turns it into a simple matter of action economy. It makes perfect sense fluff-wise, but... I don't know. How do you even kill a level 6 Blood Mage?.

* True, spending hit die might be better. Do you think turning Hit Die into Sorcery Points would work?

* Hit the lvl 6 mage while he is down and it puts in 2 fails so beat the bastard down.

I do agree the balance is a little off, but maybe that will help. I also agree completely about the healing

Updated it to fit much of what was discussed. Thoughts?

PotatoGolem
2015-06-03, 04:58 PM
Exquisite Blood is weird. You don't generally do slashing damage as a sorcerer, so it's very party-dependent.

Sins of Allies- stealing an unwilling ally's HD is a BIG no-no. PvP is just douchey and usually un-fun for everyone else, so it's (rightfully) banned in most D&D games. The ability itself is fine, just take out the bit about using unwilling allies' HD.

demonickin0
2015-06-04, 09:07 AM
Exquisite Blood is weird. You don't generally do slashing damage as a sorcerer, so it's very party-dependent.

Sins of Allies- stealing an unwilling ally's HD is a BIG no-no. PvP is just douchey and usually un-fun for everyone else, so it's (rightfully) banned in most D&D games. The ability itself is fine, just take out the bit about using unwilling allies' HD.

Exquisite blood is supposed to encourage teamwork, I might change it to Piercing and Slashing, just slashing usually spills more blood at once (IRL).

Sins of Allies I could see could be bad, but I like giving the option of taking allies blood unwillingly, because blood sorcerers always have a bad rep, but I agree with DnD always steering away from it so I editted it out. Thank you for the feedback.