PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help with building a tiny, flying rogue

EldritchWeaver
2015-06-03, 10:50 AM
I have the idea stuck in my head, that my cohort is a tiny, flying rogue, scouting without being caught, able to find and disarm traps, as well hitting people when they least expect it. But I'm not sure on the exact details. Still I have a shopping list for the things the build should fulfill.

The cohort must be able to the rogue things (scouting and dealing with traps), but doesn't need to have the class Rogue.
I haven't played martials so far. So the build should be a bit more powerful than average, giving me some leeway to deal with screw-ups.
The build should be relatively low-maintenance - in-play more important than the ease of leveling. Non-caster preferred over caster.

Some options I've looked into:

For a race the Lyrakien (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/azata/azata-lyrakien) seems nice, but I'm not sure if the three hit dice are a problem. At least it does have continuous Detect Magic and high Dex.
I can't use the Unchained classes yet, so the improved Rogue is out.
Someone recommended the Vivisectionist Alchemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo---alchemist-archetypes/vivisectionist) along with some traits, but honestly I'm not sure if the extracts complicate things in-game to much. Or if not using them makes it worse than a Rogue.

Any idea is appreciated!

Psyren
2015-06-03, 10:57 AM
A Lyrakien is pretty weak, more suited to a familiar than a cohort. If you're being allowed a full-blown cohort, I'd go with something much stronger - like a Pixie, which get always-on Greater Invisibility. That should make it near-perfect at scouting and chicanery while also keeping it out of danger in most fights. From there you can advance it with rogue or ninja levels if you'd like to avoid the alchemist bookkeeping.

EldritchWeaver
2015-06-03, 05:26 PM
A Pixie is much stronger? Comparing it to a Lyrakien, the only big advantage is the invisibility. Furthermore, a pixie has one hit die more, so one class level less. Or do I miss something? Also, what other races are recommendable? Also looking at Ninja, it seems that part of its abilities are superseded by flight and invisibility. Seems that Rogue is more suitable here, if it were not so underpowered... Is maybe there another class like the Vivisectionist from which I could choose?

Psyren
2015-06-03, 05:37 PM
A Pixie is much stronger? Comparing it to a Lyrakien, the only big advantage is the invisibility.

For a fragile scout/sneak, that is a pretty big advantage don't you think? :smalltongue:

Also looking at Ninja, it seems that part of its abilities are superseded by flight and invisibility. Seems that Rogue is more suitable here, if it were not so underpowered... Is maybe there another class like the Vivisectionist from which I could choose?

Bard? Slayer? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/slayer)

EldritchWeaver
2015-06-03, 06:07 PM
A sniper slayer works quite well for me. Now only my DM has to agree. :) Thanks for your help!