PDA

View Full Version : Simple RAW Thread for 3.5: 30. Really? 30?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

LibraryOgre
2015-06-03, 01:20 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 3.5. If your question is not about the RAW for 3.5, please look in the appropriate threads in the appropriate forums.

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

Please start over with the numbering. When this one reached 50 pages, please report it so that we can start a new one. Thanks.

Darxbloop
2015-06-03, 01:57 PM
Q# 01

For the spell Secret Chest (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/secretChest.htm), can anyone retrieve the hidden chest as long as they possess the replica, or is the replica "bound" to me and only me? Or something in between (like, a command word of some sort)?

heavyfuel
2015-06-03, 02:23 PM
A 001

Only the creature that hid the chest can retrieve it from the Ethereal Plane by casting the spell. A located chest is still a regular chest, and can be opened by anyone that has the means to do it.

You hide a chest on the Ethereal Plane for as long as sixty days and [you] can retrieve it at will.

Dr TPK
2015-06-03, 02:46 PM
Q002

Can Blink Dogs understand/speak Common?

Troacctid
2015-06-03, 03:08 PM
A 002

Most do not.

A creature can speak all the languages mentioned in its description, plus one additional language per point of Intelligence bonus. Any creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher understands at least one language (Common, unless noted otherwise).

Blink dogs have their own language, a mixture of barks, yaps, whines, and growls that can transmit complex information.

Since they have 10 Intelligence, they have no bonus languages and speak/understand only the blink dog language, as noted in their description. However, if a blink dog started with a non-standard ability score array, it might have Common as a bonus language. Also, nothing stops a blink dog from learning Common by investing skill points into Speak Language.

torrasque666
2015-06-03, 03:43 PM
Q003: Is the Stalker of Kharash's Favored Enemy - Evil class feature a valid selection for the Nemesis feat?

Endarire
2015-06-03, 04:24 PM
Q4
Assume I'm riding a mount that has Pounce. I also have Pounce. While I'm riding my mount, my mount charges. Who makes a full attack at the end of this charge?

Thurbane
2015-06-04, 02:54 AM
Q005

If a Bearded Devil takes the Haft Strike feat, do strikes with the half of his halberd inflict an Infernal Wound?

The infernal wound is a supernatural ability of the bearded devil, not of the weapon.

Heliomance
2015-06-04, 03:27 AM
Q006
The Void Disciple in Oriental Adventures has as a prerequisite 10 ranks in Scry. The Scry skill no longer exists in 3.55, and the OA 3.5 update makes no mention of the Void Disciple. Is there any guidance as to what to do in this situation?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-04, 04:27 AM
A 003 Ask your DM.

While the prestige class will satisfy Nemesis's prerequisite (Favored enemy class ability), the feat also requires you to "Choose one of your favored enemies." Stalker of Kharash doesn't give you a choice of favored enemies. Some DMs might allow a "choice" of of a single non-chosen favored enemy; others might not.

A 004 Your mount.

Your mount is making the charge, not you. There are special rules which apply to the rider when the mount charges, as follows:
If your mount charges, you also take the AC penalty associated with a charge. If you make an attack at the end of the charge, you receive the bonus gained from the charge. When charging on horseback, you deal double damage with a lance. Qualifying for pounce full attacks is not part of these special rules.

A 006 Yes.

Despite Oriental Adventures having been updated to 3.5 rules in Dragon # 318, the Void Disciple class from OA is defunct. The 3.5 version of that class is in Complete Divine starting on page 72. Dragon # 318 is dated 2004 April; Complete Divine was published in 2004 May. The guidance is to use the most recent version of the class.

HurinTheCursed
2015-06-04, 09:42 AM
Q.007 Hi giants and pixies in the playground and everything in between

A) By RAW, if a rogue with 30' speed searches for traps in a corridor, how fast can he walk depending on corridor width and his own space (medium, large...) ?
B) In order to use the search skill, does a character have to use touch sense or is sight enough ?
C) How far ahead of the trap/treasure, after he passes the trap/treasure would he detect the trap/treasure provided he rolls normal successes ?
D) Same questions with a character that tries to avoid natural hazards using survival.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-04, 01:14 PM
A 007

A)
Action: It takes a full-round action to search a 5-foot-by-5-foot area or a volume of goods 5 feet on a side. The Rogue's speed doesn't matter (as long as it's at least 5'). In a corridor only 5' wide the Rogue can Search 5' every round and take a 5' step. In a wider corridor the Rogue's progress will be slower.

B) No particular individual sense is required by the Search skill. Any Rogue can find traps 10' away, which means Rogues with less than 10' reach will successfully Search without touching.

C) 10' away.
Check: You generally must be within 10 feet of the object or surface to be searched. Note the Rogue can detect and disable traps without triggering them, so both Search and Disable Device work when within that distance from the trap (all of the trap, out to the trigger radius).

D) As far as necessary.
To avoid getting lost or avoid natural hazards, you make a Survival check whenever the situation calls for one. Your individual DM will have to determine how far away you need to be when you make the check to avoid a natural hazard.

Chronos
2015-06-04, 01:45 PM
A 007 addendum:

Note that that time is for every 5' square of surface, so to be thorough, you would need to search the floor, walls, and ceiling separately. Or, of course, you could take your chances that one of those surfaces is not trapped, and only check some of them.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-04, 01:59 PM
Re: A 007 addendum
Note that that time is for every 5' square of surface, so to be thorough, you would need to search the floor, walls, and ceiling separately.
It's explicitly one round to search a 5' cube of goods, and one round to search a "5-foot-by-5-foot area" (i.e., the game term for a grid square (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_square&alpha=S)).
square

A square on the battle grid. A square is 1 inch on a side and represents a 5-foot-by-5-foot area. The terms "1 square" and "5 feet" are generally interchangeable. Grid squares are not limited to planar surfaces, but encompass the volume above them. The Search skill makes no mention of floors, walls, or ceilings; that's only in your addendum.

HurinTheCursed
2015-06-04, 03:32 PM
Q 007
Apologize for your time guys, I read the page 3 times without finding.
Fatigue I suppose.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-04, 05:25 PM
Q 008
When determining your own encumbrance, do you need to account for your own weight? If your own weight exceed your carrying capacity (i.e. a 125+ tons Colossal creature with Str drained to 1), do you suffer any penalty?

KillianHawkeye
2015-06-04, 06:45 PM
A 8

No.

If you want to determine whether your character’s gear is heavy enough to slow him or her down more than the armor already does, total the weight of all the character’s items, including armor, weapons, and gear.

Your basic unencumbered state is whatever is normal for your character wearing only the clothes on their back. The game doesn't have rules for characters being overweight, except maybe as an optional character flaw.

Story
2015-06-05, 01:09 AM
Q009: Are there any ways to permanently become younger besides the Steal Life spell in BoVD?

Troacctid
2015-06-05, 04:35 AM
A 009 Yes.

Reincarnate (or last breath) gives you a new young adult body. True mind switch lets you steal a younger body. There may be others.

HurinTheCursed
2015-06-05, 05:08 AM
Q.010 Can tumble be used to move past an enemy without AoO when flying with a fly speed, swimming with a swim speed, jumping, charging or leap attacking ?

Tumble at one-half speed as part of normal movement, provoking no attacks of opportunity while doing so. Failure means you provoke attacks of opportunity normally. Check separately for each opponent you move past, in the order in which you pass them (player’s choice of order in case of a tie). Each additional enemy after the first adds +2 to the Tumble DC.

Troacctid
2015-06-05, 05:35 AM
A 010 Yes.

Tumble can be used as part of your movement, as you quoted. There's no restriction that says it must be land movement.

LentilNinja
2015-06-05, 11:12 AM
Q 011
Does a PC using an ability that targets "allies" count themselves?

heavyfuel
2015-06-05, 11:31 AM
A 011

Usually yes.

A creature friendly to you. In most cases, references to "allies" include yourself.

Andezzar
2015-06-05, 11:35 AM
Q 12

Can you unhorse an enemy with a lance in general or with a lance charge in particular?

Q 13

a) What happens if you make a trip attempt on a rider?
b) What happens if you make a trip attempt on a mount?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-05, 12:03 PM
A 012

Not generally, because a lance is not a tripping weapon. However, the Cavalry Charger feat (Complete Warrior, pages 108-110) allows this as a tactical option.

A 013 a)

If the rider takes damage (for instance, if the trip attempt is due to the Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown) feat) or the horse reacts to the trip attempt by rearing or bolting, the rider has a chance to stay in the saddle with a Ride check.
Stay in Saddle
You can react instantly to try to avoid falling when your mount rears or bolts unexpectedly or when you take damage. This usage does not take an action. Should they fail this check (DC 5), they fall off the horse.
Soft Fall
You can react instantly to try to take no damage when you fall off a mount—when it is killed or when it falls, for example. If you fail your Ride check, you take 1d6 points of falling damage. This usage does not take an action.

A 013 b)

If Your Mount Falls in Battle
If your mount falls, you have to succeed on a DC 15 Ride check to make a soft fall and take no damage. If the check fails, you take 1d6 points of damage.

Aplostor
2015-06-05, 02:26 PM
Q 014
I am a little bit confused about how grapple/improved grab interacts with iterative attacks and other natural attacks. Let's assume I have 4 attacks with tentacles and improved grab. If I hit a creature, I can start a grapple as a free action. If I decide to take the -20 penalty, since I am not considered grappled, can I use my remaining three attacks against the same creature? If the answer is yes, can I start another grapple with other tentacles?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-05, 02:47 PM
A 014

Excepting the one special case of unarmed strike, natural weapons do not use iterative attack rules. If your full attack with natural weapons is 4 tentacles you may use each one once. If you have Improved Grab and attack an enemy smaller than yourself, you may hold the enemy without being considered grappled. The rest of your full attack with your natural weapons can be executed as you desire. If you only had a single tentacle along with iterative attacks, you would only be able to use the tentacle at the appropriate point in your full attack routine, usually second or third due to the secondary natural attack penalty.
If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest.
Benefit: The creature’s secondary attacks with natural weapons take only a -2 penalty.

Normal: Without this feat, the creature’s secondary attacks with natural weapons take a -5 penalty.

Keegan__D
2015-06-06, 04:19 AM
I cannot find a source for the Ring of Them Songs (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Talk:Ring_of_Theme_Songs_%283.5e_Equipment%29) from the DandDWiki. It doesn't say that it's homebrew on the page, so I'm inclined to believe that it's from a Wizards source, but I was under the impression that the DandDWiki only had material from the SRD, and I'm certain that this isn't in there.

Andezzar
2015-06-06, 04:40 AM
Q 015

I cannot find a source for the Ring of Them Songs (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Talk:Ring_of_Theme_Songs_%283.5e_Equipment%29) from the DandDWiki. It doesn't say that it's homebrew on the page, so I'm inclined to believe that it's from a Wizards source, but I was under the impression that the DandDWiki only had material from the SRD, and I'm certain that this isn't in there.

A 015

Dandwiki has lots of user created content (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/3.5e_Homebrew) and is notoriously bad for marking homebrew content as such. Unless the item is form one of the April Fools articles from WotC, I can't imagine this item not being homebrew.
If you look for easily searchable SRD content you're better off with D20SRD.org (http://www.d20srd.org/).

Please number your question.

Aplostor
2015-06-06, 07:02 AM
Q 016
I cannot find the meaning, in game terms, of "wielding a weapon". If I have natural weapons and I attack with them, am I wielding them? I am asking this in order to know if I can use Dancing Mongoose with natural weapons.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-06, 07:15 AM
A 016 No.

Lacking a game-specific definition, this defaults to ordinary dictionary definitions.

handle
-verb (used with object)

2. to use (a weapon, instrument, etc.) effectively; handle or employ actively.

handle
-verb (used with object), handled, handling.

8. to touch, pick up, carry, or feel with the hand or hands; use the hands on; take hold of.

You don't pick up natural weapons with your hands. Monster Manual makes a distinction between natural weapons and wielded weapons repeatedly:
An achaierai’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as evil-aligned and lawful-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
An astral deva’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as good-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
A planetar’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as good-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
A solar’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as good-aligned and epic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. ...

Aplostor
2015-06-06, 08:33 AM
Q 017

Grapple and attacks, again: let's assume I have 2 claws, 4 tentacles and improved grab (with tentacles). I hit an opponent with a tentacle and I win the grapple check (and I also decide to take the -20 penalty). On the same turn, I make all the other attacks and that's okay.

On his turn, the opponent doesn't manage to escape free from grapple. On my next turn, what can I do? I assume I cannot attack with the tentacle which is grabbing the opponent, but I should be able to attack with 2 claw and the other 3 tentacles. But how can I hurt the grappled opponent? Can I make grapple checks (in place of my iterative attacks)?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-06, 09:07 AM
A 017

You've chosen the Improved Grab option to not otherwise be considered grappling the opponent, so you don't get to make grapple checks except with the grabbing tentacle. You can use the grabbing tentacle to try to damage your opponent via a grappling check (at a -20 penalty), and you can use all your other weapons to make normal attacks against anyone in reach.

Iterative attacks are only with manufactured weapons or unarmed strikes, none of which you've identified in this scenario.

HurinTheCursed
2015-06-06, 10:50 AM
Q.018 For both versions of greater magic fang, when a druid under this spell wild shapes from a form to another, under which condition does he keep the enhancement bonus ?

Magic fang gives one natural weapon of the subject a +1 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls. The spell can affect a slam attack, fist, bite, or other natural weapon. (The spell does not change an unarmed strike’s damage from nonlethal damage to lethal damage.)

This spell functions like magic fang, except that the enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls is +1 per four caster levels (maximum +5).
Alternatively, you may imbue all of the creature’s natural weapons with a +1 enhancement bonus (regardless of your caster level).

nyjastul69
2015-06-06, 12:10 PM
A15 additional

It's definitely homebrew. Here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/User_Magical_Rings) is a link to the page with the item in question. It can be found through several links at the bottom left of the page.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-06, 12:45 PM
A 018

None of these enhancements are transferable to another form, because they are specific to the weapons of the previous form.
Alternatively, you may imbue all of the creature’s natural weapons with a +1 enhancement bonus (regardless of your caster level). While it applied to all of the existing natural weapons at the time of casting, all the natural weapons in the new form are different natural weapons than those enhanced in the previous form, so the previous spell effects no longer apply.

HurinTheCursed
2015-06-06, 04:23 PM
Q.018 Continued Thank you. Unreliable translation means our group uses the English version of the rules but it's not always that obvious for non native speakers.

Thus if I understand correctly, if a druid that has cast greater magic fang in lion form changes to a tiger form, none of its limb will be "the same", morphing or transmuting from the previous. Instead, all natural weapons will cease to exist, even if it's at the same location, new ones will be created and all its natural weapons will be entirely new ones. The "creature’s natural weapons" is not the druid's, it's the lion's or the tiger's ?

Is the spell dormant or dispelled ? If this druid transforms back into lion form will greater magic fang work again ?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-06, 05:58 PM
A 018 Continued

A Druid assumes a Lion shape, not the shape of any one specific Lion. Thus they're getting new Lion form natural weapons, not the previous Lion form's natural weapons. The only specific form the Druid can assume is their normal form. Magic Fang applied to any natural weapons the Druid has in that shape (typically just their unarmed strike) would be the only case where the spell would provide benefits after going through Wild Shape.

Aplostor
2015-06-07, 06:58 AM
Q 019

I am confused about the feat Poweful Wild Shape (Races of Stone). I know how wild feats works (you expend one of your daily uses of wild shape and gain a benefit), but this is written in a strage way: it doesn't say "you can expend one of your daily uses of wild shape to gain X", but "you can expend one of your daily uses of wild shape to assume a powerfully built version of a creature you can normally wild shape into".

Does it mean that I can transform and gain the benefits of the feat with a single use of wild shape? I know that half feat is useless, but INA on all natural attacks isn't bad at all.

Andezzar
2015-06-07, 07:06 AM
A 019

You need only one wild shape use to change into a creature that is considered larger and does more damage with its natural weapons.

Thurbane
2015-06-07, 07:01 PM
Q 020

Are there any Magic Items or Spells that allow you to make a Knowledge Check untrained?

WhamBamSam
2015-06-08, 01:59 AM
Q021 If a kobold has the Kobold Endurance feat and takes the first level of Death's Chosen, do the bonuses from Kobold Endurance increase to +8? If not, how should one parse the phrase "prerequisite for a special ability?"

Potentially relevant text:

Special
A kobold who would gain Endurance as a bonus feat can choose Kobold Endurance in its place. Kobold Endurance counts as the Endurance feat for the purpose of meeting a prerequisite for a feat, prestige class, or special ability.
Vigor of the Chosen (Ex): The physical needs of a death's chosen are greatly reduced. He needs to consume only one-tenth the normal amount of food and water each day—a few grubs and a mouthful of water make a full meal. He can subsist on a mere 2 hours of sleep each night without becoming fatigued (though spellcasters require the normal amount of rest to regain spells). He gains Endurance as a bonus feat (or, if he already has the feat, the bonuses granted by the feat increase to +8). He also gains a +4 bonus on Fortitude saves to resist disease.

Troacctid
2015-06-08, 03:32 AM
A021

That's really more of a conditional than a prerequisite. It doesn't count. You just gain Endurance. On the upside, it stacks with Kobold Endurance.

St Fan
2015-06-08, 07:01 AM
Q 022
Is there an official errata for the Complete Psionics?

Notably, the Ardent's list of skills mention "Knowledge" without specifying which one skill it concern. Is it all Knowledge skills (which I doubt)?

Andezzar
2015-06-08, 08:36 AM
A 22

I don't think so. AFAIK this (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/errata) is the entirety of errata for 3.5 books.

heavyfuel
2015-06-08, 11:10 AM
Q 23

What counts as a "Special Attack" for the "Ability Focus" feat?

Add +2 to the DC for all saving throws against the special attack on which the creature focuses.

Does a feat the creature have (say, Boomerang Daze) counts?

Q 24

Is a mount a valid target for the ricochet from Boomerang Ricochet if your original target is the rider? I don't think so since it's not adjacent to the him, but still...

Also, would the answer change if the mount were particularly enormous and occupied many squares?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-08, 02:30 PM
A 023

That requires an attack (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_attack&alpha=), with use of the word "special" somewhere in the attack description. You can assemble the combination of "attack" and "special" from all relevant sources. For instance, an attack which necessarily uses any of the list of Special Abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/specialAbilities.htm) would qualify for the feat. An attack which is found under the Special column of a class listing would also qualify. Or if you're playing a monstrous character, anything found in its Special Attacks entry.

Most feats would not count. For instance, Boomerang Daze does not describe its attacks as special.

A 024 No.

For simplicity, assume that you share your mount’s space during combat. Regardless of the size of the mount, the rider is always sharing the mount's space rather than adjacent to it.

Aplostor
2015-06-08, 03:15 PM
Q 025

I am confused about the serpent's coils Nature's Warrior class feature. It says "does damage equal to 1d8 + her Strength bonus after winning an opposed grapple check". I have always read this like "you gain constrict", but the text is quite different.

The question is: with serpent's coils, can I inflict 1d8 + Str damage everytime I win an opposed grapple check? Even when my opponent tries an opposed grapple check to break free?

heavyfuel
2015-06-09, 12:31 AM
A 024 No.

Regardless of the size of the mount, the rider is always sharing the mount's space rather than adjacent to it.

Q 24 - Clarification Request

The language for Boomerang Ricochet doesn't say they have to be on adjacent squares or spaces, just that they have to be adjacent. Is "adjacent", by itself, ever defined in the rules? From the 3 dictionaries definitions I've checked (Cambridge, Google, and dictionary.com) it seems the mount would qualify.

1.next to or adjoining something else.

very near, or with nothing in between

lying near, close, or contiguous; adjoining; neighboring

being in contact at some point or line; located next to another; bordering; contiguous:

In reality it seems to me that this falls under "Ask your DM" and see which dictionary definition of the word adjacent he intends to use.

Andezzar
2015-06-09, 12:45 AM
A 24

Various dictionaries are not the primary source for adjacent. The PHB, or more specifically the glossary (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_adjacent&alpha=) is.

alpha_dk
2015-06-09, 10:39 AM
Q26:
Forge Ring has a prerequisite of Caster level 12th. Various rings you can forge have CL prereqs lower than that. (c.f. ring of animal friendship, prereq CL3). Why?

Similarly, there is talk in the book about getting rid of a prereq by increasing the DC of the check. I don't see anything about check DCs in, say, Create Wondrous Item. Does that mean the check DC would be 5 to do it without a prereq?

Really, what's happening is I have some pretty basic questions about crafting and prereqs and am getting conflicting info out there on the internets. For every thread I can find saying this: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?219812-Crafting-Magic-Items-Caster-Level , I can find another that says the CL is part of the prerequisites.

Andezzar
2015-06-09, 10:54 AM
A 26

I have never heard about in increase in a crafting DC to remove the prerequisites. For the item crafting feats there are no skill checks and thus no DCs. You merely need the feat, time and money and the prerequisites if applicable.

The CL mentioned in the description of all magic items has nothing to do with creating that item but it is a measure of the power of the item itself:
The next item in a notational entry gives the caster level of the item, indicating its relative power. The caster level determines the item’s saving throw bonus, as well as range or other level-dependent aspects of the powers of the item (if variable). It also determines the level that must be contended with should the item come under the effect of a dispel magic spell or similar situation. This information is given in the form "CL x," where "CL" is an abbreviation for caster level and "x" is an ordinal number representing the caster level itself.
The item's caster level can be increased to make the item more powerful, but then you are in custom magic item territory and the cost and prerequisites are up to the DM.

Only a few items list a minimum caster level as part of the item's prerequisites. Then and only then is a CL beyond that for obtaining the relevant item creation feat required. E.g.

Scarab, Golembane

This beetle-shaped pin enables its wearer to detect any golem within 60 feet, although he must concentrate (a standard action) in order for the detection to take place. A scarab enables its possessor to combat golems with weapons, unarmed attacks, or natural weapons as if those golems had no damage reduction.

Moderate divination; CL 8th1; Craft Wondrous Item, detect magic, creator must be at least 10th level2; Price 2,500 gp.
1 this is the caster level of the item.
2This is the miminum caster level of the creator.

The Underlord
2015-06-09, 11:02 AM
Q27
Does a creature that acquires a template that changes its type still qualify for feats and PrCs based off it's previous race?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-09, 11:06 AM
A 027 Usually, yes.

In D&D type, subtype, and race are three distinct categories. A change to one category usually does nothing to the other categories. (Explicit exceptions to this general rule will be explicit. :smallwink:)

unseenmage
2015-06-09, 12:18 PM
Q28

Is there a face slot item printed somewhere that grants Darkvision and makes the wearer blinded by sunlight?

Theodred theOld
2015-06-09, 01:05 PM
Q28Can someone please explain how iterative attacks work with improved/greater TWF?

Andezzar
2015-06-09, 01:40 PM
A 28

You get one attack at -5 (ITWF) and one attack at -10 (GTWF). These penalties are in addition to the penalties you already get for fighting with two weapons. So it is -4 (main hand), -4 (off-hand), -9 (main hand), -9(off-hand) or -2 (main hand), -2 (off-hand), -7 (main hand), -7 (off-hand) with a light weapon in the off-hand

Heliomance
2015-06-09, 03:43 PM
Q 29

What happens if you combine Ancestral Daisho from the Oriental Andventures Samurai class and Ancestral Relic from BoED? Can I for example use Ancestral Daisho table (pg. 21 in OA) for wakizashi and Ancestral Relic to improve katana? What happens if I want to combine both of them on single weapon?

Andezzar
2015-06-09, 03:59 PM
A 29

There is no OA Samurai in 3.5. The class in CW has the exact same name and so overwrites the Samurai from OA. If there were such a class you would only need to abide by the restrictions of one ability if you used each ability on one weapon. If however you used both abilities on one weapon, you would be bound by both restrictions.

Metahuman1
2015-06-09, 09:48 PM
Q 30 Cause thread title.

How does The southern Magician feat allow a caster to gain early entry into Mystic Thurge precisely?

Andezzar
2015-06-09, 10:23 PM
A 30

Once per two caster levels it allows you to cast divine spells as arcane and vice versa. With a CL of four you can cast two spells of one type and the rest of your spells of the other type. With CL 4 you can most likely cast 2nd level spells. So as long as you have at least four second level spell slots you can cast "2nd-level divine spells and 2nd-level arcane spells". So a sorcerer with Southern magician and CHA 12+ or a wizard with INT 22+ could take the first level ofg Mystic Theurge at level 5.

KrimsonNekros
2015-06-10, 12:03 AM
Q 31 Is there any errata that allows Ascetic Stalker to be taken as a monk bonus feat?

Darrin
2015-06-10, 06:08 AM
Q 32 What happens when you cast a Maximized alter fortune (PHBII)? Is the reroll an automatic 20?

Thurbane
2015-06-10, 06:18 AM
Q 033

Is a Spellwarped Human eligible to take the Human Heritage feat?

Andezzar
2015-06-10, 06:25 AM
A 32

Maximize spell does not do anything to alter fortune. Causing a reroll is not a variable, numeric effect. It is actually a fixed non-numerical effect. The result of that reroll is not part of the spell's effect.

A 33

Yes. The spellwarped template only changes the creature's type, not its race. Humans are obviously descended from humans, so the human race is human-descended race.

heavyfuel
2015-06-10, 08:27 AM
A 31

The Comp Scoundrel errata makes no such mention.

Q 32

Is the a feat or spell (likely a Drag Mag one) that allows you to share a spell with a creature much like a Wizard and with his familiar?

Seto
2015-06-10, 10:48 AM
Q33 : How long does it take for a creature (Doppelganger for example) to assume a new form via Change Shape (Su) ? I'd be inclined to rule "a full-round action", but the ability itself doesn't seem to mention that.

Aplostor
2015-06-10, 10:59 AM
A 033

Change Shape is a Supernatural Ability, so it takes a standard action:

Supernatural abilities are magical and go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic. Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise.

heavyfuel
2015-06-10, 11:00 AM
A 33

Standard Action

Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise.

Renen
2015-06-10, 07:22 PM
Q34
What is that one feat allows to put one more skill point into a skill than normal? This is for getting into a high skill point PrC one level early.

nyjastul69
2015-06-10, 07:39 PM
A34:

Primary Contact from Cityscape will do that. It has Favored as a prerequisite though.

ETA: Favored is also from Cityscape.

Story
2015-06-10, 10:43 PM
Q35: What is the lowest level Wizard spell that can summon or call an Undead or Construct?

marphod
2015-06-10, 11:11 PM
A 020 (which appears to have been unanswered)

Are there any Magic Items or Spells that allow you to make a Knowledge Check untrained?

Yes.

Indirectly, you can use Contact Other Plane, Commune, or similar or other Divinations to ask powers. You can also summon creatures with the knowledge in question. There are plenty of other indirect methods. (Probe thoughts, Speak with Dead, etc.; familiars with Knowledge skills, wish, using scrying, etc.) Legend Lore can also do what you want, as can various means of telepathy.

Directly, not-core, but Anamenisis (Dragon 338) is a bard3 Wiz/Sorc4 that allows just that.

From core:
I thought I saw Crystal of some sort in either the Psionics or Eberron books, but if I did, I can't find it now.

Combined Talent (Bard 1; Complete Mage) lets one creature use the skill ranks of another (willing) creature.

Husk Globes (Libris Mortis) contain the memories of a creature, that can be questioned.

Protoege (Bard 6, Complete Adventurer) lets a character make Bardic Knowledge checks for a limited time.

Intelligent Magic Items may have ranks in a knowledge skill.

Vizier from the Deck of Many Things. (Good luck with that one.)

marphod
2015-06-10, 11:13 PM
A 35: What is the lowest level Wizard spell that can summon or call an Undead or Construct?

For undead, Level 1. Summon Undead I (Libris Mortis)

(edit: forgot the roman numeral.)

Endarire
2015-06-11, 03:23 AM
A35
You can use silent image et al to fake summoning/calling creatures. You can 'summon' an iron golem from level 1 with silent image.

Q36
Psionic contingency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/contingencyPsionic.htm) can manifest a power of a specific power level. What about applying metapsionics to this? What happens to my psionic focus? (Seemingly, my psionic focus is spent during the manifestation of psionic contingency.)

Q37
Does this mean I can use psionic contingency to manifest a Twinned synchronicity Linked to another Twinned synchronicity? If so, how many psionic focuses do I need? What manifester level?

Andezzar
2015-06-11, 03:44 AM
A35
You can use silent image et al to fake summoning/calling creatures. You can 'summon' an iron golem from level 1 with silent image.No you can't. You can create the illusion of a construct with silent image, nothing more, nothing less.

Callum
2015-06-11, 09:04 AM
Q 38

Can a creature under the effect of a fly spell that becomes paralyzed continue to fly? (In other words, is using a fly spell a "purely mental action"?)

HurinTheCursed
2015-06-11, 10:24 AM
A.038
A creature that relies on wings falls if paralyzed. The subject of a fly spell necessitates ONLY, merely, concentration to stay in the air.
A creature that has an average manoverability or worse falls if it cannot maintain forward speed. Fly give good manoverability.
Thus I guess, a paralyzed creature under the fly spell just stands still (not even prone).

If a flying creature fails to maintain its minimum forward speed, it must land at the end of its movement. If it’s too high above the ground to land, it falls straight down, descending 150 feet in the first round of falling. If this distance brings it to the ground, it takes falling damage. If the fall doesn’t bring the creature to the ground, it must spend its next turn recovering from the stall. It must succeed on a DC 20 Reflex save to recover; otherwise, it falls an additional 300 feet. If it hits the ground, it takes falling damage. If not, it has another chance to recover on its next turn.

Using a fly spell requires only as much concentration as walking, so the subject can attack or cast spells normally.

Q.039
When a caster summons a creature within the spell range, are there other limitations such as firm soil / air / water, line of view / line effect between the summoner and the creature... ?

heavyfuel
2015-06-11, 11:03 AM
A 39

You need only a proper terrain and Line of Effect.

A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location by a conjuration spell cannot appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in an empty space. It must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting it.

You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect. You must have a clear line of effect to the point of origin of any spell you cast.

However, if the summoned creature intends to make an attack or some other action, the creature may have need to have Line of Sight.

Seharvepernfan
2015-06-11, 01:07 PM
Q 40

Say there is a spellwarped elf, who then becomes a lich. What, if any, of the spellwarped qualities does it keep upon becoming a lich? Can it become a lich at all?

Falcos
2015-06-11, 01:08 PM
Q 41

Dvati cannot cast two spells simultaneously, as per their racial sheet.

Multivoice permits beings who ordinarily can't cast two spells simultaneously to do so.

Which ruling is the one that actually takes effect, in the event of a Dvati pair with Multivoice?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-11, 01:25 PM
A 041

Multivoice does not remove the Dvati racial requirement:
When a dvati casts a spell, both members of the pair must focus and concentrate on it. Only if you can find a way for each Dvati twin to concentrate on two spells simultaneously, and also fulfill all the Multivoice requirements, could you benefit from the feat.

Jowgen
2015-06-11, 02:23 PM
Q 42

If a DFA uses the Humanoid Shape invocation to create a disguise to change his physical appearance, and then uses a Hat of Disguise towards the same disguise (e.g. clothes, features the invocation can't copy), do the bonuses from the two stack at all, somehow partially, or in full?

Q 43

If an unseen servant (in his caster's square) is given an Eversmoking Bottle and told to un-stopper it if anyone attacks the caster, what is the result of this set up in common combat situation?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-11, 03:07 PM
A 043

An Unseen Servant is mindless and thus cannot anticipate any actions. The spell also does not specify any capability to interrupt any actions. In this scenario the attack would take place to completion, and then the Unseen Servant would unstopper the Eversmoking Bottle. The smoke would obscure vision 1 round later, after the attacker's next turn.

Frendle
2015-06-11, 04:04 PM
Q44

Is it possible to voluntarily suppress a supernatural ability.

Example, a Stormlord suppressing the shocking burst effect on his Javelins? (Dang Golems)

Andezzar
2015-06-11, 04:14 PM
A 44

It depends on the wording of the ability. Generally Supernatural abilities require a standard action to use. If you do not activate them they do not work. In case of the Shocking Burst ability of the stormlord, the ability specifies to treat the javelin as a shocking burst (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#shockingBurst) javelin which in turn inherits properties from the shock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#shock) weapon special ability. Shock weapons can be turned off.

Thurbane
2015-06-11, 07:13 PM
A040

An aberration cannot become a Lich, at least through normal means. 20 levels in Dread Necromancer would do it. Correction: you still need to be humanoid.

If you find a way to achieve this, it would keep all Spellwarped abilities (except for Con bonus).

Andezzar
2015-06-12, 02:07 AM
Q 45

Is the flight granted by the Starspawn feat winged flight?

Metahuman1
2015-06-12, 02:35 AM
Q 46 Can an Illuman (Races of Destiny race that's made of words. I'm away from book so probably spelling there name wrong.) pick up the Necropolitant template?

Thurbane
2015-06-12, 02:37 AM
A046

Yes - Illumians are Humanoids, and the Necropolitan template can be added to any Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid.

animewatcha
2015-06-12, 04:12 AM
Q 47

Emerald dragons are in monster manual 2 and are referred to as gem dragons. There is mention of finding them on the inner planes and on the material plane. Do they count as planar dragons or material plane or what aside from gem dragons?

Aplostor
2015-06-12, 07:10 AM
Q 048

Is an Attack of Opportunity a "normal melee attack"?

I am asking in order to know if I can use the Channel the Storm option of Stormguard Warrior with attacks of opportunity.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-12, 07:20 AM
A 045 Yes.

According to the feat's "plain language" description: "You grow membranous wings". Starspawn is an Aberrant feat, which all manifest as changes to your body (Lords of Madness, page 178). The feat is not designated as Supernatural or Spell-like, which would be required for flight that used magical rather than natural propulsion.

A 048 No.

An AoO is officially "No Action" (Rules Compendium, page 8). It's a single melee attack, but not a normal one.

Andezzar
2015-06-12, 07:28 AM
A 48 Addendum

Channel the Storm does not use the term "normal melee attacks". You refrain from using attacks of opportunity to get a bonus to attack and damage rolls on your next turn. You rarely make AoOs on any of your turns because they are provoked on other characters' turns, unless you mutually provoke with Robilar's Gambit or similar abilities.

Quild
2015-06-12, 10:08 AM
Q49: It's possible to deal non-lethal damages with a weapon that deals lethal damages and vice versa for a -4 penalty on attack rolls.

Innefectivity aside, can this be used to deal lethal damages with a weapon that has the merciful enhancement to deal lethal damages without losing the extra 1d6?

Andezzar
2015-06-12, 10:14 AM
A 49

Yes. A weapon with activated Merciful WSA is a weapon that deals nonlethal damage. You can accept a -4 penalty to deal lethal damage with a weapon that deals nonlethal damage.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-12, 11:55 AM
Q50

a) If you are on fire, can you set your opponents on fire by attacking them, grappling them, or by any other means?
b) If your target is on fire, can you catch fire by attacking it, grappling it, or by any other means?

torrasque666
2015-06-12, 12:17 PM
Q51: Is there any feat that allows for any sort of Paladin/Knight stacking, similar to Devoted Performed or Devoted Tracker?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-12, 12:21 PM
A 051 No.

There are no Knight multiclassing feats, as far as I know.

Aplostor
2015-06-12, 12:45 PM
Q 052

Do effects like "the weapon deals damage as if it were one category larger" stack?

heavyfuel
2015-06-12, 12:59 PM
A 52

No.

A medium longsword dealing damage as a large longsword is still a medium longsword. Unless there's an actual size increase, the effects won't stack.

marphod
2015-06-12, 03:14 PM
Q 053 How do Bloodline levels (Unearthed Arcana) interact with multiclass feats and corresponding abilities?

Q 053a
More Specifically, a character with 7 class levels Scout 3, Ranger 2, Swordsage 1, Barbarian 1 with 2 Bloodline Levels and Swift Hunter. Bloodline levels do not, RAW increase the scout's effective level with respect to Skirmish (despite being calcuable, it is on a chart like sneak attack). However, Swift Hunter adds Ranger levels to the Scout's Skirmish Progression. So, does the character have the Skirmish abilities of a 5th level Scout (3 Scout Levels + 2 Ranger) or a 7th level scout (3 Scout Levels plus (2 Ranger and 2 bloodline)) (I can see an argument for 9th level, as well, but that argument is weak.)

Q 053b
What is the characters effective martial initiator level?
It could be anywhere from 4 (Ssage 1 + 1/2 other class levels, ignoring Bloodline levels) to 9 ( Ssage + bloodline + 1/2( (scout+ bloodline) + (ramger + bloodline) + (barbarian + bloodline)). I tend to think it is 6 (ssage + bloodline + 1/2 others), but can also see an argument for any of the aforementioned values or even others in that range.

Khatoblepas
2015-06-12, 04:01 PM
Q54a

How does the Flying Enchantment (Magic of Faerun) interact with a Monk's unarmed strike? Does the monk gain the ability to fly, or does his unarmed strike become it's own creature (similar to a Stand in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)? Let's assume for the purposes of this question the Monk gains Flying through a level of Kensai, so it's not an item granting him the ability, but himself.

Q54b

How does the Flying Enchantment interact with unarmed strike and the Sizing enchantment? Would it be possible to create a Colossal Animated Object that is also an unarmed strike?

Q54c

Can you cast Awaken Construct on a Flying weapon?

Andezzar
2015-06-12, 04:16 PM
A 54

a) It does not work:
Up to three times a day, by holding the weapon aloft in one hand and speaking the command word, the wielder can fly for up to 50 minutes, almost as if using the fly spell.You cannot hold an unarmed strike in one hand.

b) Not applicable

c) Not applicable

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-12, 04:38 PM
Q55: Can a character activate skirmish through teleportation, such as that provided by an Anklet of Translocation?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-12, 04:39 PM
A 055 No.

Skirmish can only be activated by movement. Relocating without movement does not qualify.

Khatoblepas
2015-06-12, 04:40 PM
Q54 Clarified

Flying Enchantment from Magic of Faerun:

Flying:
A flying weapon can fly at speed 30 feet and is
treated as an animated object with hardness and hit points
equal to a typical weapon of its kind. A flying weapon fol-
lows orders subject to the limits of its ability (it has no In-
telligence) but can be ordered to guard a location just as an
animated skeleton can. Only melee weapons can have the
flying ability.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-12, 04:45 PM
A 054 Clarified

Magic of Faerûn is a 3.0 source, not updated to D&D 3.5 rules. Oriental Adventures is also a 3.0 source, but updated to 3.5 rules in Dragon # 318. The most recent version of something in the same category (in this case weapon enhancements) replaces any older sources with the same name. Andezzar provided the correct D&D 3.5 answer.

Dharack
2015-06-13, 01:15 AM
Q 056

If I have 1 level in cleric and have therefore a CL of 1, have a +1 modifier in wisdom and choose the feat Mageslayer (http://dndtools.pw/feats/monster-manual-v--78/mage-slayer--1820/) , am I still capable of casting lv1 spells, or am I actually able to get pushed to CL0/ have a negative CL?

Andezzar
2015-06-13, 01:19 AM
A 56

Maybe. This would give you a negative caster level, but the rules never say what the minimum caster level for a spell is.

Khedrac
2015-06-13, 02:00 AM
A 056 additional

Please also note that for a cleric the +1 Wisdom modifier does exactly two things relating to their spells:

1) it raises the DC of saving throws for spells you cast by one;
1) it gives a a single bonus first level spell slot per day.

It does not affect your caster level in any way.

marphod
2015-06-13, 02:00 AM
A 54c

More generally, you cannot cast Awaken Construct on an Animated Shield or a Dancing Weapon. Constructs are a creature type, albeit usually an inorganic one. Animated Shields and Dancing Weapons are still objects.

Andezzar
2015-06-13, 03:07 AM
A 54c

More generally, you cannot cast Awaken Construct on an Animated Shield or a Dancing Weapon. Constructs are a creature type, albeit usually an inorganic one. Animated Shields and Dancing Weapons are still objects.
Another sidetrack: Awaken construct cannot be used on many flying weapons
This spell awakens a humanoid-shaped construct to humanlike sentienceWeapons generally are not humanoid-shaped.

Aleolus
2015-06-13, 05:52 AM
Q57
Can Detect Magic be used to detect magic users without them being in the process of casting a spell?
If not, is there a way for a caster to ID another magic user without the second one having any overt signs?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-13, 07:55 AM
A 057 Usually no.

Some spellcasters will have a detectable aura (examples: Black Flame Zealot's Zealous Heart is Supernatural, as is Radiant Servant of Pelor's Aura of Warding), but most auras are Extraordinary and thus not detectable via Detect Magic. For the most part, magic users aren't magical until they actually perform magic.

Andezzar
2015-06-13, 08:07 AM
Re: A 57

Are such auras detectable by Detect Magic? I thought they were detectable by the various Detect Alignment spells.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-13, 08:11 AM
A57 - Addendum

Arcane Sight or Greater Arcane Sight can be used to identify spellcaster, but distinctively make your eyes glow blue. An invisible (as per Invisible Spell) Arcane Sight or Greater Arcane Sight doesn't carry visual manifestation. Arcane Sight can be made permanent.

Aplostor
2015-06-13, 09:11 AM
Q 058

Sometimes I read posts where plant traits are described as extraordinary special qualities. However, I can find plant traits described as extraordinary special qualities only in a few 3.0 books. So, are they extraordinary or not? Can I gain them via Enhance Wild Shape or Master of Many Forms?

marphod
2015-06-13, 11:15 AM
A 058

Plant Traits include (from the SRD) Low-Light Vision; Immunity to all mind-affecting effects; Immunity to Poison, Sleep, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning; Immunity to Critical hits; and, the lack of a need to sleep.

None of these are inherently Spell-Like or Supernatural, so yes, they are extraordinary.

Andezzar
2015-06-13, 11:34 AM
A 58 Correction

A 058

Plant Traits include (from the SRD) Low-Light Vision; Immunity to all mind-affecting effects; Immunity to Poison, Sleep, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning; Immunity to Critical hits; and, the lack of a need to sleep.

None of these are inherently Spell-Like or Supernatural, so yes, they are extraordinary.If they are not classified as supernatural, spell-like or extraordinary, they are natural:
This category includes abilities a creature has because of its physical nature. Natural abilities are those not otherwise designated as extraordinary, supernatural, or spell-like.

Aleolus
2015-06-13, 01:15 PM
Q59 Does an armors max dex limitation apply to Reflex saves as well as AC

Andezzar
2015-06-13, 01:21 PM
A 59

Nope. It only applies to what it says it applies to. The maximum DEX bonus you can add to your AC. The DEX Bonus to reflex saves is something completely different.

This number is the maximum Dexterity bonus to AC that this type of armor allows. Heavier armors limit mobility, reducing the wearer’s ability to dodge blows. This restriction doesn’t affect any other Dexterity-related abilities.

Aleolus
2015-06-13, 02:06 PM
Seems kind of odd that a fighter in full plate with an 18 Dex is just as capable of dodging AoEs as a barbarian with an 18 Dex in Hide armor, but OK

Bronk
2015-06-13, 03:01 PM
Q 053 How do Bloodline levels (Unearthed Arcana) interact with multiclass feats and corresponding abilities?

Q 053a
More Specifically, a character with 7 class levels Scout 3, Ranger 2, Swordsage 1, Barbarian 1 with 2 Bloodline Levels and Swift Hunter. Bloodline levels do not, RAW increase the scout's effective level with respect to Skirmish (despite being calcuable, it is on a chart like sneak attack). However, Swift Hunter adds Ranger levels to the Scout's Skirmish Progression. So, does the character have the Skirmish abilities of a 5th level Scout (3 Scout Levels + 2 Ranger) or a 7th level scout (3 Scout Levels plus (2 Ranger and 2 bloodline)) (I can see an argument for 9th level, as well, but that argument is weak.)

Q 053b
What is the characters effective martial initiator level?
It could be anywhere from 4 (Ssage 1 + 1/2 other class levels, ignoring Bloodline levels) to 9 ( Ssage + bloodline + 1/2( (scout+ bloodline) + (ramger + bloodline) + (barbarian + bloodline)). I tend to think it is 6 (ssage + bloodline + 1/2 others), but can also see an argument for any of the aforementioned values or even others in that range.

A 053a

RAW, 9th Level. Bloodlines don't give you additional class abilities, but they do raise the level of any class abilities you already have. Since you already have the scout class skirmish ability, your effective scout level is now effectively 5, your ranger level is effectively 4, and the total is 9.

A 053b

RAW, your martial initiator level is indeed 9, because the two bloodline levels add to every one of your classes separately as in your second example.

Troacctid
2015-06-13, 03:46 PM
A 53a contention

Swift Hunter is a feat, not a class ability.

marphod
2015-06-13, 04:47 PM
A 53a contention

Swift Hunter is a feat, not a class ability.

I'm not sure how that is relevant.

Its a feat that allows you to count Ranger levels towards Skirmish and Scout levels towards Favored Enemies.

---

On the other hand, assuming the official FAQ is considered definitive, I'm fairly certain the Skirmish is not 9th level.

Many class features improve as you gain levels but aren’t specifically calculated with class level. A rogue’s sneak attack, for example, improves at a fixed rate, but it doesn’t specifically use your class level to calculate its value in the way that the abilities listed above do.
(FAQ -- as a counterpoint to things like save DCs, caster level, stunning fists per day)

Venger
2015-06-13, 11:06 PM
On the other hand, assuming the official FAQ is considered definitive, I'm fairly certain the Skirmish is not 9th level.

(FAQ -- as a counterpoint to things like save DCs, caster level, stunning fists per day)

FAQ is not RAW, so it is not definitive.

Renen
2015-06-14, 01:00 AM
Q54
Is there a feat (series of feats) that will let me add the two chaos shuffle spells to cleric spell list?

Andezzar
2015-06-14, 01:13 AM
A 60 Numbering is off

Q54
Is there a feat (series of feats) that will let me add the two chaos shuffle spells to cleric spell list?

No, but they already are on the cleric spell list:

Level: Cleric 8, sorcerer/wizard 8

Level: Cleric 8, sorcerer/wizard 8

kkplx
2015-06-14, 05:24 AM
Q61

Does Mirror Image affect Power Word Stun? As in, does the caster have to roll which of the creature/images he'll hit with it?

Andezzar
2015-06-14, 05:50 AM
A 61

Yes, unless he has some way of knowing which is which. If he chooses an image the spell fails.
Target: One creature with 150 hp or less

Some spells have a target or targets. You cast these spells on creatures or objects, as defined by the spell itself. You must be able to see or touch the target, and you must specifically choose that target. You do not have to select your target until you finish casting the spell.

Several illusory duplicates of you pop into being, making it difficult for enemies to know which target to attack. The figments stay near you and disappear when struck.

If you ever try to cast a spell in conditions where the characteristics of the spell cannot be made to conform, the casting fails and the spell is wasted.

Dr TPK
2015-06-14, 06:44 AM
Q 62

Tremorsense
If no straight path exists through the ground from the creature to those that it’s sensing, then the range defines the maximum distance of the shortest indirect path.

Can anyone explain this a little better?
Does it mean that if the there's 50 ft. high wall between the senser and the target, the senser cannot sense the target if he/she has 30 ft. tremorsense? The target is right behing the wall and the distance between the senser and the target is 10 ft.
___|
___|
T__|__S
Tar W Senser
get A
___L
___L
The wall is 50 ft. high, the distance between T and S is 10 ft. and the tremorsense reaches 30 ft. Does the wall block the tremorsense?

Dharack
2015-06-14, 06:55 AM
Q 063

If I pin-pointed the location of an invisible creature, but can't actually see it, can I charge the designated square the creature is supposedly in?

Chronos
2015-06-14, 07:08 AM
A 62:

A wall does not interrupt a straight-line path through the ground, so tremorsense still works just fine for detecting creatures on the other side of a wall. On the other hand, if you replace that wall with a crevasse, it would interrupt the straight-line path, since now the straight-line path would have to pass through the open air in the crevasse.

Andezzar
2015-06-14, 07:31 AM
A 63

Not unless your method of perception is deemed sight equivalent.
If you can’t see the target (for instance, if you’re blind or the target is invisible), you can’t have line of sight to it even if you could draw an unblocked line between your space and the target’s.

If you don’t have line of sight to the opponent at the start of your turn, you can’t charge that opponent.
I cannot find a rule saying that either blindsight or blindsense establish line of sight when a creature is detected, even though the former at least definitely should.

marphod
2015-06-14, 01:41 PM
A 63 addendum

I cannot find a rule saying that either blindsight or blindsense establish line of sight when a creature is detected, even though the former at least definitely should.

Using nonvisual senses, such as sensitivity to vibrations, keen smell, acute hearing, or echolocation, a creature with blindsight maneuvers and fights as well as a sighted creature. Invisibility, darkness, and most kinds of concealment are irrelevant, though the creature must have line of effect to a creature or object to discern that creature or object. (Emphasis mine)

If you have blindsight, you have Line of Sight as long as you have Line of Effect.

Blindsense does not, however:

Any opponent the creature cannot see still has total concealment (50% miss chance) against the creature with blindsense, and the creature still has the normal miss chance when attacking foes that have concealment.

Aplostor
2015-06-14, 03:08 PM
Q 064

I don't understand the swallow hole special attack. The last part says:

If the swallowed opponent escapes the grapple, it ends up back in the attacker’s mouth, where it can be bitten or swallowed again.What does it mean? Is the creature still grappled? I think the answer should be "yes", because:
- The swallow hole attack is similar to a pin attempt ("it can attempt a new grapple check ("[...] as though attempting to pin the opponent [...]").
- It says the creature can be swallowed again and, in order to be swallowed, it has to be grappled.

Venger
2015-06-14, 03:50 PM
Q 064

I don't understand the swallow hole special attack. The last part says:
What does it mean? Is the creature still grappled? I think the answer should be "yes", because:
- The swallow hole attack is similar to a pin attempt ("it can attempt a new grapple check ("[...] as though attempting to pin the opponent [...]").
- It says the creature can be swallowed again and, in order to be swallowed, it has to be grappled.

A64No. Once you escape the grapple, you are no longer grappled.

round 1) you bite, impgrab, grapple
round 2) you start your turn with your opponent in your mouth, so you can activate swallow whole, making a pin attempt by rolling grapple. then you take tummy damage as detailed in that monster's entry.

heavyfuel
2015-06-14, 04:39 PM
Q 65

Do you lose Shield Bonus to AC if you lose Dex bonus? I could swear that you do, but can't find it anywhere

Andezzar
2015-06-14, 04:49 PM
A 65

You don't. A shield bonus is not a DEX bonus. Losing the DEX bonus does not affect other bonuses to AC.

marphod
2015-06-14, 05:21 PM
A 65 Addendum

You don't. A shield bonus is not a DEX bonus. Losing the DEX bonus does not affect most other bonuses to AC.

A condition that makes you lose your Dex bonus also makes you lose Dodge bonuses (SRD). Also, text for specific items override this general rule, if found (I can't recall anything specifically, though).

HurinTheCursed
2015-06-14, 05:53 PM
Q.066
If one targets with Sword of Conscience (Book of Exalted Deeds, p. 109) an evil creature / undead / outsider that happens to also be cleric of an evil deity, does the target risk damage for its type, for being an evil cleric or do both damage stack ?

heavyfuel
2015-06-14, 09:44 PM
Q 67

If a creature is forced to make an attack roll during its turn, right before a second iterative attack (thus taking a -5 penalty to this second attack), does the penalty also apply to the attack not related to the full attack?

Example: A fighter readies his action to disarm after the first attack by the creature, thus provoking an AoO. Does the AoO take the -5 penalty? How about the opposed attack roll for the the disarm?

Andezzar
2015-06-14, 10:20 PM
A 67

No. Other attacks only get penalties if those are explicitly mentioned. AoOs even explicitly do not have that penalty:
An experienced character gets additional regular melee attacks (by using the full attack action), but at a lower attack bonus. You make your attack of opportunity, however, at your normal attack bonus—even if you’ve already attacked in the round.

Attack penalties of other characters are even less relevant.

Cybris75
2015-06-15, 12:08 AM
Q 68

Do psionic items exist that give ability bonuses (like magic items, e.g. belt of giant strength)?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-15, 12:48 AM
A 066 No.

Sword of Conscience damages an Evil creature according to the magnitude of its Evil, which is specified on the accompanying table. The spell does not stack with itself, so if an Evil Undead who is also a Cleric of an Evil deity is the target and they have 5 Cleric levels and 8 HD, you would roll the damage for Undead (1d8) and Cleric (2d6) and they would take the higher of these two rolled values as damage. Note that if the Undead Cleric of an Evil deity was not itself Evil (becoming Undead via Necropolitan template, for example) it would be an invalid target for Sword of Conscience and the spell would fail at casting.

Andezzar
2015-06-15, 01:08 AM
Q 69

Does the command word to restore a shrunk item to its normal size require LoE?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-15, 01:52 AM
A 069 No.

There's no such stipulation for Shrink Item or command words in general; you need a standard action and sufficient vocal clarity for the item to "hear" the command word (audibility requirements are entirely at the discretion of your DM).

Troacctid
2015-06-15, 02:39 AM
A 68 Yes

A dorje of animal affinity would be one example.

Okay, okay, non-smart-alecky answer: You can generally make psionic versions of items that are not traditionally psionic, provided that you have the equivalent psionic item crafting feat and a psionic power "of a similar flavor" to the normal spell prerequisite. (The example given is psionic teleport being used instead of teleport to craft a helm of teleportation.) So animal affinity, as the psionic equivalent to the bull's strength family, could reasonably allow you to craft your belt of giant strength (although as the rules here are only guidelines, you'll have to run it past your DM). If you were using the Psionics Is Different variant, the resulting items would be considered psionic, not magic. See Magic Item Compendium page 232, in the "Psionics and Crafting Magic Items" sidebar.

lonewolf1210
2015-06-15, 03:30 AM
Q70: If a Beguiler uses a runestaff with spells not on his spell-list via Use Magic Device and fails the check, is the spell-slot expended or not? How about the x/day use of the runestaff?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-15, 04:27 AM
A 070 N/A.

By expending a prepared arcane spell or arcane spell slot, the wielder can cast a spell of the same level or lower from the runestaff's list, as long as that spell also appears on the wielder's class spell list.
A spell does not have a level without an associated list. As an example, Control Water is level 6 for a Sorcerer or Wizard, but level 4 for a Cleric or Druid, and "—" (unavailable) for a Bard or Paladin. A Beguiler without the spell on their class list does not have a level associated with that spell, and thus the necessary spell slot is undefined and thus unavailable. The Beguiler cannot activate the runestaff with or without Use Magic Device.

lonewolf1210
2015-06-15, 05:01 AM
A 070 N/A.

A spell does not have a level without an associated list. As an example, Control Water is level 6 for a Sorcerer or Wizard, but level 4 for a Cleric or Druid, and "—" (unavailable) for a Bard or Paladin. A Beguiler without the spell on their class list does not have a level associated with that spell, and thus the necessary spell slot is undefined and thus unavailable. The Beguiler cannot activate the runestaff with or without Use Magic Device.

I am quite sure this is incorrect.

Use a Wand: Normally, to use a wand, you must have the wand’s spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill allows you to use a wand as if you had a particular spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill also applies to other spell trigger magic items, such as staffs.

Using use magic device lets you act as if the spell is on your class list and thus lets you activate the runestaff. The level for the required spell slots is determined by the class you are emulating.

Also every beguiler guide/handbook I have ever seen mentiones runestaffs as important tools to expand your access to different spells, and I would be very suprised if all of them are wrong.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-15, 06:23 AM
Re: A 070
Using use magic device lets you act as if the spell is on your class list and thus lets you activate the runestaff. The level for the required spell slots is determined by the class you are emulating.
You've somehow conflated two different Use Magic Device applications, and that's not how the skill works.
You must consciously choose which requirement to emulate. That is, you must know what you are trying to emulate when you make a Use Magic Device check for that purpose. Use a Wand simulates having the contained spell on your class list. It does not let you emulate some particular class's spell list. (If you do not otherwise have a spell list, it lets you function as if you had a spell list containing just that one spell.) Spell level is not a factor in Use a Wand, because that is determined by the item creator. Emulate a Class Feature is the only UMD application which would let you emulate having a particular spell list, and that doesn't change anything involved in Use a Wand. Also, as previously mentioned, a runestaff is not a regular staff, and thus Use a Wand does not work.

Also every beguiler guide/handbook I have ever seen mentiones runestaffs as important tools to expand your access to different spells, and I would be very suprised if all of them are wrong.
Popularity of misinformation does not change the actual RAW. If these various guides/handbooks have cited rules which validate their advice, I would appreciate you posting them here. I'm always happy to gain a better understanding of the D&D rules.

lonewolf1210
2015-06-15, 06:45 AM

You've somehow conflated two different Use Magic Device applications, and that's not how the skill works. Use a Wand simulates having the contained spell on your class list. It does not let you emulate some particular class's spell list. (If you do not otherwise have a spell list, it lets you function as if you had a spell list containing just that one spell.)

I have to revise my previous statement and agree with you up to this point.

Spell level is not a factor in Use a Wand, because that is determined by the item creator.

Just like with a wand, the creator of a runestuff also determines the spell-level of the spells within. Among other things, they determine the creation costs of the runestaff.

Also, as previously mentioned, a runestaff is not a regular staff, and thus Use a Wand does not work.

The last sentence of my quote above is that this use of the skill is valid for all spelltrigger items, not just wands and staffs. Runestaffs clearly fall into that category.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-15, 06:55 AM
The last sentence of my quote above is that this use of the skill is valid for all spelltrigger items, not just wands and staffs. Runestaffs clearly fall into that category.
Can you cite a source for that claim? I don't see anything stating that runestaffs are spell trigger items in either Magic Item Compendium or its errata file.

lonewolf1210
2015-06-15, 07:18 AM

Can you cite a source for that claim? I don't see anything stating that runestaffs are spell trigger items in either Magic Item Compendium or its errata file.

It is not stated explicitly, but can be derived through the process of elimination. Check MIC page 219-220 for all possible ways to activate magical items. Only the spell trigger activation fits with how runestaffs work.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-15, 07:37 AM
Re: A 057

Are such auras detectable by Detect Magic? I thought they were detectable by the various Detect Alignment spells.
Nope; I got that one wrong, at least in the examples I used. Some auras are detectable (examples: Black Flame Zealot's Zealous Heart is Supernatural, as is Radiant Servant of Pelor's Aura of Warding), but most auras are Extraordinary and thus not detectable via Detect Magic. I'll revise my answer to include correct examples.

It is not stated explicitly, but can be derived through the process of elimination. Check MIC page 219-220 for all possible ways to activate magical items. Only the spell trigger activation fits with how runestaffs work.
I'm afraid the Magic Item Compendium text doesn't agree with you.

Every magic item in this book has an Activation entry in its description that describes the type of action necessary (if any) to activate the item and the means of activation.
Following the action type is a parenthetical descriptor that further describes the means of activation; these are described below.
[Action Type] (spell trigger): Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it's even simpler. ...

The book states quite clearly when an item uses spell trigger activation. Each runestaff has the following entry instead:

Activation: As spell used
No runestaff item specifies "(spell trigger)". Instead, they are activated as the spell used.

heavyfuel
2015-06-15, 09:58 AM
Q 67 - Clarification Request

Ok, so AoOs use your regular bonus, but what about opposed attack rolls (as in the disarm check)? They aren't AoOs. Do they keep the -5 penalty or not? I'm pretty sure they don't, but couldn't really find any rules determining this.

Kalirren
2015-06-15, 11:45 AM
Q/A 070

Just to be clear, I'm also from that thread, and this issue has been of some interest to me in the past as well.

No runestaff item specifies "(spell trigger)". Instead, they are activated as the spell used.

Curmudgeon, I wanted to know your opinion on the following text, which may differ from MIC, but should probably be considered in parallel.

When an arcane spellcaster is attuned to a runestaff, she can substitute any of the spells stored in the runestaff for a prepared spell or spell slot of equal or greater level. She must have the spell on her spell list and be of sufficient level to cast it, though she need not know it or have it in her spellbook. If she has some of the spells on her spell list, but not others, she can only substitute spells that are on her spell list. Most spells stored in runestaffs can be used up to three times per day, unless otherwise noted in the item's description. Spells cast from a runestaff act in all ways as if the wielder had cast them normally, including casting time, attacks of opportunity, saving throw DCs, caster level, and other effects.

When I read this text, it leads me to be of the opinion that a runestaff is use-activated, requiring the consumption of a spell slot of higher level than the substituting spell as its activation cost. To activate any spell-substituting function of the runestaff, a caster must either have the substituting spell on one of their spell lists, or make the UMD check to emulate that class feature, and they must expend a spell slot of higher level as part of the use-activation. Any spell slot of higher level will do, (for instance, even a divine one,) for nowhere is it specified that the user must have been able to cast the spell from the expended spell slot had the user known the substituting spell.

I suppose my last sentence turns on my interpretation of the phrase, "and be of sufficient level to cast it". But I think the Use Magic Device skill does in fact provide what is necessary:

This skill does not let you actually use the class feature of another class. It just lets you activate items as if you had that class feature.

The runestaff, when activated, allows the user to the cast the substituting spell, which is a process that resolves "in all ways as if the wielder had cast [it] normally".

Can you find a weakness in this interpretation?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-15, 02:41 PM
To activate any spell-substituting function of the runestaff, a caster must either have the substituting spell on one of their spell lists, or make the UMD check to emulate that class feature, and they must expend a spell slot of higher level as part of the use-activation. Any spell slot of higher level will do, (for instance, even a divine one,) for nowhere is it specified that the user must have been able to cast the spell from the expended spell slot had the user known the substituting spell.
A preview of a rulebook is an advertisement, and superseded by the actual RAW. But your "any spell slot" argument is unfounded. You can emulate having a second spell list, but runestaff activation is from a single list, as specified in the activation rule.
By expending a prepared arcane spell or arcane spell slot, the wielder can cast a spell of the same level or lower from the runestaffs list, as long as that spell also appears on the wielder's class spell list. You can't jump across multiple lists, because "of the same level or lower" is a different computation depending on the list. A character with both Wizard and Cleric spell lists will have Control Water at two different values (6th level and 4th level). So the Beguiler emulating a second spell list has no filled spell slot available for making the "of the same level or lower" computation on that emulated (empty of spell slots) list.

I'm afraid this has gone well past the "simple" answer stage. If you want to address this issue further, please do so in another thread.

Venger
2015-06-15, 10:25 PM
Q71If you take shape soulmeld for a meld that allows a save, is the DC 10+e+wis or 10+e+con?

FrancisBean
2015-06-15, 10:27 PM
Q 72. Is there any way to obtain the benefits of an Item Familiar's "Invest Life" after 6th level?

From the SRD:
A character of 6th level or lower may invest a portion of his life force into his item familiar, receiving bonus XP in return. These XP are actually part of the item, however, so if the item is lost or destroyed, the character loses not only the bonus but a quantity of his existing XP as well.

When a character chooses to invest his life energy into his item familiar, his current XP total and all future XP awards increase by 10%. However, if the character loses the item, he loses all bonus XP gained, plus an additional 200 XP per character level.

It seems clear by RAW that you need to be level 3-6 to take this option.

I have an 10th level character I am in the process of leveling up to 11th. I only recently learned about this feat. This is exactly the sort of situation the retraining rules are meant to cover: a case where you learned about a character development option too late to use it. I have a feat (Alacritous Cogitation), gained at 6th level, which I'd be willing to retrain to take the Item Familiar feat.

The way I see it, that still doesn't change matters: even if the retraining rules gave me the feat at 6th level, I'd still be unable to do the Invest Life at 11th.

Am I missing any other avenues?

Q72a: The non-RAW question: does anybody know what motivation the writers had to limit this option to 6th level or lower? Everything else is wide open to higher level characters.

EDIT: Got ninja'd, updated Q number to 72.

marphod
2015-06-16, 12:49 AM
Q 73 Are there any official Alternate Class Features for the Beguiler?

Q 74 (This is, admittedly, inspired by Q70, so if this is inappropriate, I'm perfectly open to a response that I should take it to another thread rather than expect an answer) Could a caster use UMD to Emulate a Class Feature to use the Warmage's Eclectic Learning to add a spell to their class list for the purposes of using a magic item (presuming the spell in question is of a spell level lower than their highest available spell slot)?
(I don't believe Eclectic Learning specifies that the spell is added 'to the Warmage's spell list' outside of flavor text or specific examples, so it could apply to any class's spell list.)

marphod
2015-06-16, 01:10 AM
A 72

Do you have 3550 gold pieces, access to something with permanent level drain, and access to someone who can cast Restoration with a caster level of at least 15th (who you can convince to memorize 5 Restoration spells in one day)?

Get yourself Level Drained down to sixth level (intentionally fail the saving throws), spend 2 weeks and 50 gp retraining that feat, and then spend 700 gp (600 gp to cast the spell, 100 gp of diamond dust -- needs to be 15th caster level to allow for the 2 weeks of training between the drain and the restorations) per casting to get back the 5 drained levels. You could also replace the 5 Restorations with a single Greater Restoration, saving you 90gp, but that puts the cost of a single spell over 3000 gp, which by the SRD means it is generally unavailable.)

(Your DM might go nice on you, and just require you to go down to level 5 and back, letting you select a different feat for your 6th level slot on the way. That'll cost you less than 2500 gp (280 gp per casting, plus 100 gp diamond dust each) -- and the caster has a week to cast Restoration all 6 times.)

(Admittedly, a PC who can cast Restoration will make these all cheaper, if they are of high enough caster level.)

Kumori
2015-06-16, 01:34 AM
Q 75

The Magic Item Compendium includes the weapon property "Lucky". A weapon with this property allows one reroll per day when an attack roll misses. What if it's placed on ammunition: Does it work separately for each piece?

Andezzar
2015-06-16, 01:46 AM
A 74

The Warmage does not have a class feature called eclectic learning. If however you mean advanced learning the answer is no. Emulate Class Feature explicitly does not let you use the class feature itself. It only lets you count as using the class feature if that usage is required for the magic item to be activated. If an item requires a certain spell UMDing advanced learning will not help you. If instead an item required you to use advanced learning (i.e. getting another spell during level up) to activate you could emulate that usage.

Thurbane
2015-06-16, 03:19 AM
A 074 clarification

Just a nitpick to the above answer: the Warmage does indeed have an (alternative) class feature called Eclectic Learning (PHB2, p.67).

The rest of this answer is accurate, as far as I can tell.

Troacctid
2015-06-16, 05:07 AM
A 73

No, there are not.

OMG PONIES
2015-06-16, 07:04 AM
A71: That depends on the particular soulmeld. Each soulmeld has a class listed, which will set the DC calculation method. Should a soulmeld list more than one class with different methods, please ask your DM.

Classes: This line indicates which meldshaping classes can shape the soulmeld.

Only a few soulmelds allow saving throws. The saving throw DC for a soulmeld equals 10 + the essentia invested into the soulmeld + the meldshaper’s relevant ability score modifier (Wisdom for incarnates or Constitution for soulborns and totemists).

A 75: Ask your DM. Sorry, but the RAW does not specify what happens if this property is added to ammunition. Individual DMs may rule each arrow allows you to reroll a single attack, while others may rule any lucky arrows give you a 1/day ability and, once used w/ one arrow, it's used with all of them.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-16, 09:17 AM
A 073 additional info

There's a fairly comprehensive list of ACFs here (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1151316).

orcafromthesky
2015-06-16, 02:52 PM
Q 76

In Unearthed Arcana, under "Monk Variant: Fighting Styles" on Page 52, it states:

A monk can abandon her fighting style by selecting a different bonus feat at 2nd or 6th level; however, if she does so, she loses the bonus on skill checks gained at 1st level and never gains the bonus ability of the fighting style (even if she meets the prerequisites).

My question: if I abandon the fighting style at level 2 by taking a different feat, can I still take the fighting style's level 6 feat, or must I choose from the options available for the base monk class?

Example: I build a level 1 monk of the "Invisible Eye" fighting style. At level 1, I take Combat Reflexes as my bonus feat. At level 2, I take Monastic Training (Eberron Campaign Setting, pg. 38), instead of Lightning Reflexes (the listed Invisible Eye 2nd level feat). In doing so, I lose my bonus on Listen, and disqualify myself from the Invisible Eye bonus ability. When I reach level 6, can I still take Bind-Fight? Or do I have to choose between Improved Trip and Improved Disarm, the base monk options?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-16, 02:56 PM
A 076 No.

"Abandoned" means you no longer have the fighting style options available to you.

abandon
-verb (used with object)

1. to leave completely and finally; forsake utterly; desert: to abandon one's farm; to abandon a child; to abandon a sinking ship.

2. to give up; discontinue; withdraw from: to abandon a research project; to abandon hopes for a stage career.

Shiloh
2015-06-16, 06:20 PM
Q 077

Does the out-of-turn action in Eternal Blade's "Island in Time" ability take away from a character's total actions in a round? From ToB, p 111:

Using this ability does not change your initiative count, and you can use all your actions as normal. For example, if your intiative count is 15, you could act normally, use this ability to act again on initiative count 14, then act normally on the following round on initiative count 15.
Emphasis mine.

So, does this effectively grant an extra turn once per encounter outside of your normal turn for that round? Or does it just allow you to split up your actions amongst your regular turn, and the point when you use this ability?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-16, 06:50 PM
A 077

If you have your Blade Guide available, you essentially get an extra turn once in an encounter. The rationale for Island in Time is that the Blade Guide is directing your actions, essentially creating a Blade Guide turn between your own turns. There is no modification to the Eternal Blade's actions otherwise.

HurinTheCursed
2015-06-16, 07:35 PM
Q.078
The feat Terrifying Strike (Drow of the Underdark, p. 54) specifically "doesn't stack with other fear effects". Does it mean pre-existing fear effects are not worsened but that a posterior fear effect would stack with it ?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-16, 07:50 PM
A 078

Yes, that's correct. Terrifying Strike cannot make the target more fearful, but it doesn't have any control over subsequently-supplied fear effects other than Terrifying Strike. The 1-round duration doesn't allow much time for fear escalation, though.

marphod
2015-06-16, 10:05 PM
Q 079

How do the feats Shadow Blade or Desert Dodge (or similar) interact with Aptitude Weapons?

Shadow Blade and Desert Dodge grant a bonus when using a weapon from a short list. Aptitude Weapons let you use feats tied to a particular weapon when using a different weapon. Does the plurality of weapons listed for the feats mean that you cannot apply them to an aptitude weapon; that it would only works for feats that apply to a single weapon type? How about the Swordsage's first level Discipline Focus, which grants 'the benefits of the Weapon Focus feat' with all of a style's associated weapons?

Andezzar
2015-06-17, 12:32 AM
A 79

None of those apply to a "particular type of weapon" they are keyed to groups of weapons, so they do not work with the aptitude WSA.

Jowgen
2015-06-17, 08:10 AM
Q 80

If an Ex ability gives a creature "a bonus on damage rolls against" something, but does not specify whether it means weapon damage, energy damage, or anything else of the sort, are there any rules that limit what kinds of damaging effects this bonus can be applied to, or does it apply to any damage roll the creature makes?

Chronos
2015-06-17, 08:59 AM
A 80:

If it says it applies to all damage rolls, it applies to all damage rolls, including weapons, spells, breath weapons, or whatever else the creature might have. I presume this is about Knowledge Devotion?

kkplx
2015-06-17, 10:28 AM
Q81

A (medium) creature is covered head to toe in contact poison. Which interactions with it expose you to the poison, and how many interactions would it take to use up all the "doses" of poison on said creature?

Some cases i am curious about:
non-reach melee strikes (by an opponent)
unarmed combat (by either the creature or an opponent)
natural weapons (by an opponent)
grappling (by either the creature or an opponent)
touch attacks (by either the creature or an opponent)
touch spells (by either the creature or an opponent)
bull rush (by either the creature or an opponent)

Curmudgeon
2015-06-17, 11:44 AM
A 081

When a character takes damage from an attack with a poisoned weapon, touches an item smeared with contact poison, consumes poisoned food or drink, or is otherwise poisoned, he must make a Fortitude saving throw.
One dose of poison smeared on a weapon or some other object affects just a single target.
Regardless of how much poison you use, you're limited to one dose of effect. Weapon strikes by an opponent do not involve their body touching the poisoned target. One attack which involves touching the target (a regular attack unarmed or with some other natural weapon, or a touch attack) by either party will impart one dose of poison, after which no more poison may be transferred to that single target. Grappling starts with a melee attack roll, so that would also transfer the one dose of contact poison.

When you make a bull rush, you attempt to push an opponent straight back instead of damaging him. A Bull Rush attack is stipulated to move the opponent without damaging them, so your DM might decide that insufficient contact is made to deliver the poison.

marphod
2015-06-17, 10:17 PM
A 81

This is really a situation outside of the rules.

I agree with Curmudgeon, in as much as when the contact is made, one dose is transferred.

More than one dose could have been applied to the initial creature/object initially, though. You can apply a single dose of poison to a weapon. So, using an animated statue of a Girallon with a helmet granting a gore attack (as an example of something immune to the poison), you could conceivable apply 6 doses to discrete weapons/body parts (4 arms, 1 bite, 1 gore).

Regardless of the attack used, one dose will be transferred. What happens to the others? It isn't addressed on point by the existing rules. If you start a grapple, it might be that one dose is transferred, and the poison on the other hands are ruined. Or they could remain viable for another attack -- this all comes down to a DM call.

(I'd also find it reasonable in this case to use multiple doses of the poison, which could result in save-twice-or-more-or-suck or a raised DC. But that's a judgement call.)

VisitingDaGulag
2015-06-17, 11:11 PM
Q82:

A creature falling 1000' successfully casts resilient sphere while in the air. Does this stop them mid-air (as a suddenly grabbed hamster ball), or does the sphere fall with them (and soon crash into the ground)?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-18, 12:11 AM
A 082

If the creature is falling, and the Sphere is formed around them, there's nothing in the spell description to cause that movement to cease.
The subject may struggle, but the sphere cannot be physically moved either by people outside it or by the struggles of those within. Gravity is neither people outside nor the struggles of those within. The enclosed creature(s) will continue to fall with the Sphere centered around the target creature. When they reach the ground the Sphere will stop abruptly (because the ground cannot pass through the Sphere) where it will take no damage from the impact; however, falling will cause the usual damage to the creature(s) inside.

Morcleon
2015-06-18, 01:42 PM
Q 083: The SRD states "A character has a 5% chance of exposing himself to a poison whenever he applies it to a weapon or otherwise readies it for use." When using an injury poison, would the character be actually poisoned, since injury poisons require damage to be dealt to be effective?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-18, 02:39 PM
A 083 Yes.

The mechanism for the accidental exposure is not documented, but this rule is independent of the type of poison.

marphod
2015-06-18, 04:59 PM
Q 084

Martial Discipline Weapon Enhancement
Paraphrased: +1 enhancement. If you know a Maneuver from the school, you get an additional +1 to attacks. if you are using a Maneuver from the school, this increases to +3.

aIs there any requirement that the weapon be one of the discipline's preferred weapons? I don't see it in the text, but there might be errata or similar.

bIf there is no requirement for (a), does this make the weapon 'associated' with the Discipline, with respect to Feats and other abilities? associated, to the best of my knowledge, is not defined in game terms.

Andezzar
2015-06-18, 05:12 PM
A 84

a) No. There is no such rule and one of the example weapons is not a preferred weapon for both disciplines.

b) No. p. 40-42 of ToB tells us which weapon is associated with which discipline. If the weapon is not on that list, the WSA dos not change that.

heavyfuel
2015-06-19, 12:39 PM
Q 85

Two Paladins with Cha 14 and Stand Fast ACF (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) staning next to each other. Would they benefit from each other's Stand Fast?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-19, 12:43 PM
A 085 No.

Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). If the modifiers to a particular roll do not stack, only the best bonus and worst penalty applies.
Stand Fast adds the Paladin's Charisma modifier to the saving throws of allies within 20'. Because Stand Fast does not provide an exception to the stacking rule, only the better of the two Paladins' Charisma modifiers would apply.

Andezzar
2015-06-19, 12:49 PM
A 85 Addendum

What Curmudgeon says is only the case if both uses of Stand Fast apply to the same save. They could each boost a different save and so benefit from both uses.

heavyfuel
2015-06-19, 01:48 PM
Q 85

Sorry, I didn't really get my point across before.

Would the paladins get the benefit from each other's Stand Fast as well as Divine Grace?

Say, Pally A choses Fort and B choses Will. Now both have +4 to Fort and Will and +2 to Refx. Is this right?

Uncle Pine
2015-06-19, 01:50 PM
Q86

Spontaneous Casting
A druid can channel stored spell energy into summoning spells that she hasn’t prepared ahead of time. She can "lose" a prepared spell in order to cast any summon nature’s ally spell of the same level or lower.
Can a Druid "lose" a prepared Sanctum SNA III in order to cast a SNA IV spell while inside her sanctum? To the best of my knowledge yes because Sanctum Spell raises the spell's effective level, but I'd like to be sure before using it at a table.

EDIT: I started a new thread for this question.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-19, 01:54 PM
A 085 (continued) Yes.

Bonuses to different checks or rolls don't have any stacking issues. Divine Grace and Stand Fast are different sources (different named class abilities), both untyped. Again, there is no stacking issue.

torrasque666
2015-06-19, 02:00 PM
Q 87: Are there any Charisma-based Prepared Arcane Casters? (Not including using the Arcane Preparation feat)

erok0809
2015-06-19, 02:20 PM
Q88

Can you simultaneously have two frightful presences? Specific example being the frightful presence granted by the feat in draconomicon and the one granted by the dreadful wrath feat from one of the forgotten realms books, I forget which. They have different radii and the feat one doesn't work on dragons, but I'm not sure if that's enough to differentiate them.

heavyfuel
2015-06-19, 02:23 PM
A 87

Sha'ir from Dragon Compendium sort of is.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-19, 02:23 PM
A 088 Yes.

The limitation is that if they've got the same name, their effects will overlap rather than stack.

erok0809
2015-06-19, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the quick answer Curmudgeon.

Q89

Can a Nightmare Spinner who has Spirit Chill apply Fell Frighten to a non-damaging fear-inducing spell, since if the enemies fail the save and are affected by the fear they also take some amount of nonlethal damage, thus allowing Fell Frighten to function?

heavyfuel
2015-06-19, 02:39 PM
A 89
No. The spell must deal damage for fell frighten to work

Thurbane
2015-06-19, 07:24 PM
Q 090

If a character is suffering a penalty to saves (say, from a Paladin of Tyranny's Aura of Despair), does that penalty still apply if the character uses a martial maneuver or Headband of Conscious Effort to make a Concentration check instead of a save?

Q 091

Ring of Mystic Healing (MIC, p.126): if you use it with a Cuire Light Wounds, Mass, does every creature affected by the spell get the bonus healing dice?

heavyfuel
2015-06-19, 07:39 PM
A 90

No. What you're making is a skill check in place of a saving throw. Rules for saving throws are no longer in play (for example, auto failing/succeeding on a nat 1/20). A penalty to skill checks would affect that, however.

A 91

No. The "damage healed by the spell" isn't "damage healed for each target". The spell would heal 1d8+CL for each creature + Xd6. How these Xd6 are distributed isn't specified. Ask your DM.

Q 92

How does DR interact with the Crusader's Steely Resolve? If my delayed pool maximun is 10, and I have DR 10, and an opponent deals 15 damage to me. Do I shave off 10 from DR, and the remaining 5 are delayed?

Or is DR applied afterwards? I'm dealt 15, 10 are delayed, and 5 are nulified by DR?

Or even, since the damage is merely being delayed, can I even apply my DR to it twice? As in, I'm dealt 15, some of is stopped by DR, some is delayed. Then when the damage is no longer delayed, it's once again stopped by my DR since they were two instances of damage.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-19, 08:02 PM
A 092

Damage Reduction applies to weapon and natural attacks. It does not apply to damage coming out of your delayed damage pool.
When you are attacked, any hit point damage the blow deals is added to your delayed damage pool. DR reduces the HP damage the blow deals. The reduced damage total goes into your delayed damage pool, up to the maximum allowed.

GuyLSmith
2015-06-19, 09:44 PM
Q93

If a PC and an NPC are having a casual conversation, and the PC suddenly attacks the NPC, is there a surprise round or does the NPC get to roll initiative and possibly attack the PC first?

Forgive me if this has been asked already.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-19, 09:50 PM
A 093

According to the Dungeon Master's Guide, there is no surprise round if both sides are aware of the other. If either side starts to attack, initiative is rolled and the quicker character acts first.

Thurbane
2015-06-19, 10:49 PM
A 093 continued

Surely a Sense Motive vs. Bluff check would come into play, similarly to a successful Spot check avoiding a surprise round from a hidden opponent?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-19, 11:07 PM
Re: A 093 continued

There's no RAW requirement for use of Bluff in this scenario, though there's also nothing preventing a DM from calling for a Bluff check if the conversation is long enough for an elaborate setup. However, while Bluff can con another character, it doesn't provide a RAW advantage in initiating combat. The DM can grant circumstance modifiers to initiative to represent an intent to initiate hostilities, but this is independent of any skill checks.

Seto
2015-06-20, 10:43 AM
Q094 :
If I understand correctly, a character wearing manacles is helpless (since a "bound" character is helpless). What kind of actions can such a character take ?

Andezzar
2015-06-20, 11:00 AM
A 94

The helpless condition is a bit tricky. It says
A helpless character is paralyzed, held, bound, sleeping, unconscious, or otherwise completely at an opponent’s mercy.So a character is helpless if and only if being bound means that he is completely at an opponent's mercy. However the rules for manacles and escape artist give the character with manacles options. So he is not completely at someone's mercy, thus he is not helpless.

KillianHawkeye
2015-06-20, 02:05 PM
A 94 additional

Andezzar is right. Being bound implies more than just having your hands or feet tied or manacled. It is more like being hog tied or otherwise completely tied up so that you're basically unable to move. Manacles alone won't do that.

Thurbane
2015-06-21, 06:08 AM
Q 095

Can familiars use the retraining rules in the PHB2?

Q 096

Which (Improved) familiar has the most HD?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-21, 08:02 AM
A 095 Ask your DM.

Familiars are NPCs, and all aspects of NPCs are decided by the DM.

Khatoblepas
2015-06-21, 11:32 AM
A096

Probably Blade Guardian (Complete Warrior) or Gold Wyrmling (Draconomicon) with 8HD.

Dr TPK
2015-06-21, 01:17 PM
Q097

What kind of a template does a 10 ft. cone have? A hell hound has a huge mass of targets in front of him and he breaths. How many targets does he affect?

Andezzar
2015-06-21, 01:42 PM
A 97

It will affect all creatures within 3 squares

H

Brova
2015-06-21, 02:25 PM
Q. 098 Is there a RAW-legal method by which undead can receive negative levels? As far as I can tell, the undead type doesn't give immunity but spells like enervation have a exemption for undead.

Q. 099 Does a simulacrum of a templated creature maintain the templates of the base creature?

Q. 099 B What about templates with a HD minimum? For example, would a simulacrum of a vampire Fighter 8 be a vampire Fighter 4 or a vampire spawn?

Q. 100 Is there a ruling as to what "one-half of the real creature’s levels" gives a simulacrum? For example, is a simulacrum of a Wizard 14/Archmage 2 a Wizard 7/Archmage 1 (half of current levels) or a Wizard 8 (levels at half way point of current progression)?

Q. 101 For monsters without a monster progression, is there a general rule covering which of their abilities a simulacrum inherits?

Khatoblepas
2015-06-21, 04:09 PM
A098

Undead are immune to level drain through their immunity to energy drain.

Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.

However, the spell Spark of Life removes this immunity from them.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-21, 04:16 PM
A 098 Yes.

The spell Spark of Life (Spell Compendium, pages 196-197) temporarily removes an Undead's immunity to energy drain. After Spark of Life ends the Undead will retain the negative levels.

A 099 Doubtful; ask your DM.

A Simulacrum "has only one-half of the real creature’s levels or Hit Dice (and the appropriate hit points, feats, skill ranks, and special abilities for a creature of that level or HD)"; no mention is made of characteristics which are not from levels or HD. A general rule for parsing spells is that they do what they say they do and nothing extra, and in this case template abilities are outside of what Simulacrum says it duplicates.

A 100

No, there's no "ruling" for this. However, removing half of a character's HD removes the half of them most recently acquired, so removing the most recent levels of a Wizard 14/Archmage 2 would result in Wizard 8.

A 101 No.

You'll have to ask your individual DM. The DM could reasonably say that reducing the HD below the minimum specified for the monster does not yield a viable creature, just as removing the top half of a monster does not leave anything viable.

Chronos
2015-06-21, 04:19 PM
A 098 correction:

Most effects which cause negative levels are energy drain, but not all of them. Of those that aren't, such as the Fell Drain metamagic, most specifically apply only to living creatures. However, undead are not immune to the negative level imposed by wielding a weapon of inappropriate alignment, such as an evil undead wielding a holy weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#holy).

Brova
2015-06-21, 04:22 PM
A098

Undead are immune to level drain through their immunity to energy drain.

This SRD entry (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Energy_Drain,_Negative_Levels,_and_Level_Loss) makes a distinction between energy drain (a special attack possessed by creatures such as the vampire) and negative levels (such as those inflicted by enervation). enervation seems to weakly support this, as it specifically outlines an alternative effect for undead creatures.

However, the spell Spark of Life removes this immunity from them.

That should do it. Follow up question, what happens to an undead that acquires a negative level under the effect of spark of life after spark of life wears off?

Also,

Q. 102 If a creature loses a level (setting it's XP to the halfway point between levels per here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Energy_Drain,_Negative_Levels,_and_Level_Loss) ), then stores XP in a Thought Bottle, spends XP to craft magic items, and resets with the Thought Bottle, can it still have the level restored with restoration?

RandomMissy
2015-06-21, 06:19 PM
Q 103
I got some people telling me about an ability that tranforms you into a monster and

you get ALL Special Attacks, Special Qualities & Extraordinary abilities.
And they are saying its NOT manipulate form because this is an ability that can be cast on self, while the manipulate form cant.

What on earth are they talkin bout.

Thurbane
2015-06-21, 06:22 PM
Q104

How does holding the charge on touch spells work with SLAs?
Say a Half-fiend uses it's Poison SLA - can it hold the charge until it hits someone with a natural attack?
And if so, does using another SLA in the meantime discharge/dispel the held Poison?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-21, 07:22 PM
A 104

Usually, a spell-like ability works just like the spell of that name.
There are no exceptions to this rule either for holding the charge or being able to deliver the spell charge in the same round as the "casting". Similarly, there are no exceptions to the usual rule that the body can only hold the charge from one touch spell at a time.

Brova
2015-06-21, 07:55 PM
Q. 105 Creating a spell-stitched undead requires the Create Wondrous Item feat. Does this imply that the process is magic item creation, and that things like liquid pain can be used to pay the associated XP costs?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-21, 10:02 PM
A 105 No.

creature

A living or otherwise active being, not an object. The terms "creature" and "character" are sometimes used interchangeably.

CREATING A SPELLSTITCHED CREATURE
“Spellstitched” is an acquired template that can be added to any corporeal undead with a Wisdom score of 10 or higher (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Evil spellcasters can use liquid pain in magic item creation.
As a Spellstitched creature is not an item, options for magic item creation do not apply.

Amphetryon
2015-06-22, 06:55 AM
Q106: How many PP/day would a Kalashtar Ardent 5/Non-Psionic PrC 10/War Mind 5 have, assuming a 17 starting WIS and all Level-based increases to WIS, with no PP-boosting items or Feats? I've gotten more than one answer from offline sources.

Chronos
2015-06-22, 08:13 AM
A 105 contention:

"Object" and "item" are not synonymous in D&D. An object cannot be a creature, but an item can be.

A 106:

You would have 25 PP/day from ardent levels and 20 from war mind levels. Your Wis at level 20 would be 22, assuming no other increases than from level, and it doesn't matter how it got to that point. All psionic classes use the same formula for bonus power points from a high score, and both of your classes are Wis-based, so with a 22 Wis and 5 levels each, you would gain 15 more power points per class from Wis. Adding it all up, you'd have a total of 75 power points.

One possible complication would be if you had the Practiced Manifester feat (very common for multiclassed ardents, due to the unusual way their power known works). Bonus power points from a high ability score depend on your manifester level, so a side effect of that feat would be to increase your power point. Your ardent ML would be 9, instead of 5, and so you'd gain an additional 12 points, for a total of 87.

EDIT: I missed that you said that the character was a kalashtar. IIRC, they have two PP as a racial feature, so it'd be 77 without Practiced Manifester, or 89 with.

Amphetryon
2015-06-22, 08:25 AM
A 105 contention:

"Object" and "item" are not synonymous in D&D. An object cannot be a creature, but an item can be.

A 106:

You would have 25 PP/day from ardent levels and 20 from war mind levels. Your Wis at level 20 would be 22, assuming no other increases than from level, and it doesn't matter how it got to that point. All psionic classes use the same formula for bonus power points from a high score, and both of your classes are Wis-based, so with a 22 Wis and 5 levels each, you would gain 15 more power points per class from Wis. Adding it all up, you'd have a total of 75 power points.

One possible complication would be if you had the Practiced Manifester feat (very common for multiclassed ardents, due to the unusual way their power known works). Bonus power points from a high ability score depend on your manifester level, so a side effect of that feat would be to increase your power point. Your ardent ML would be 9, instead of 5, and so you'd gain an additional 12 points, for a total of 87.

EDIT: I missed that you said that the character was a kalashtar. IIRC, they have two PP as a racial feature, so it'd be 77 without Practiced Manifester, or 89 with.
Kalashtar get 1 PP/Level, whether that Level is in a Psionic Class or not.

heavyfuel
2015-06-22, 09:52 AM
Q 107

What happens when a person buffed by Luminous Armor enters an area with Darkness heightened to 3rd level?

Andezzar
2015-06-22, 10:59 AM
A 107

Nothing. Luminous Armor is not a light spell. It lacks the descriptor.

Curmudgeon
2015-06-22, 11:02 AM
A 107

While Luminous Armor has a specific effect against darkness spells of 2nd level or lower, it is not a [Light] spell. From that perspective, nothing happens to either spell.
Normal lights (torches, candles, lanterns, and so forth) are incapable of brightening the area, as are light spells of lower level. Higher level light spells are not affected by darkness. Being neither normal light nor a [Light] spell, the light from the Armor is reduced to shadowy illumination as per the normal operation of Darkness.

Dr TPK
2015-06-22, 11:49 AM
A 97

It will affect all creatures within 3 squares

H

Thank you, but...

Q108

What if the hell hound breaths southwards in that template? "South" being the square left to 05.

Andezzar
2015-06-22, 12:57 PM
A 108

Cones and spheres always issue for a grid intersection.
Some spells affect an area. Sometimes a spell description specifies a specially defined area, but usually an area falls into one of the categories defined below.

Regardless of the shape of the area, you select the point where the spell originates, but otherwise you don’t control which creatures or objects the spell affects. The point of origin of a spell is always a grid intersection. When determining whether a given creature is within the area of a spell, count out the distance from the point of origin in squares just as you do when moving a character or when determining the range for a ranged attack. The only difference is that instead of counting from the center of one square to the center of the next, you count from intersection to intersection.

You can count diagonally across a square, but remember that every second diagonal counts as 2 squares of distance. If the far edge of a square is within the spell’s area, anything within that square is within the spell’s area. If the spell’s area only touches the near edge of a square, however, anything within that square is unaffected by the spell.

[...]

Cone, Cylinder, Line, or Sphere

Most spells that affect an area have a particular shape, such as a cone, cylinder, line, or sphere. A cone-shaped spell shoots away from you in a quarter-circle in the direction you designate. It starts from any corner of your square and widens out as it goes. Most cones are either bursts or emanations (see above), and thus won’t go around corners.

From those rules I get:

H

It's either the red or the green square, depending on whether you used the SW or SW intersection. You cannot really do a 10 ft cone going south.

Wacky89
2015-06-22, 01:30 PM
Q109

By RAW can a Druid with wild shape take Multiattack as a feat?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-22, 01:35 PM
A 109

If the Druid is in a shape with three or more natural attacks when they're awarded enough XP to go up a level, then yes. Otherwise, no. There is no preparation time between receiving the XP and going through the Level Advancement sequence (Player's Handbook, pages 58-59).

heavyfuel
2015-06-22, 01:38 PM
A 109

Prerequisites work on binary basis. You either meet them, or you don't. This is "checked" when you level up.

If the druid had leveled up and gained a feat while in wildshape (possibly meeting the prereqs for Multiattack), then he could select the feat.

Note that when no longer in Wildshape, he'd still have the feat, but wouldn't be able to use it

Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat. A character can gain a feat at the same level at which he or she gains the prerequisite.

Dread_Head
2015-06-22, 05:13 PM
Q110
Would an Archivist 7 / Nar-Demonbinder 1 fulfil the spell casting requirements for entry into Mystic Theurge?

Q111
Ocular spell turns a spells effect into a ray, can this be combined with split ray in any way?

Q112
Can an ocular spell you cast be shared with your familiar via its share spells ability?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-22, 06:07 PM
A 110 No.

A 1st-level Nar Demonbinder can cast 4th-level and 5th-level arcane spells. Mystic Theurge requires the ability to cast 2nd-level arcane spells. There are no 2nd-level spells on the Nar Demonbinder's list, and being able to cast higher-level spells does not satisfy the MT entry requirement.

A 112 Only partially.

With Ocular Spell and Share Spells you can have a non-Personal spell which for which you would be a valid target held in one of the familiar's eyes. However, the familiar has no spellcasting ability and thus the spell held there can never be cast; it disappears after 8 hours.

Andezzar
2015-06-22, 06:09 PM
A 110

No, the character cannot cast second level arcane spells.

A 111

Yes, just apply both metamagics.

Only if you cat the spell at yourself i.e. the ray from the eye targets yourself.

FrancisBean
2015-06-22, 07:40 PM
Q 113

How is "dealing damage" interpreted in the context of Damage Reduction? Specifically, how does the Knock-Down feat work when the attack produces more than 10 points of damage, but the target takes less than 10?

From the SRD:
Knock-Down [General]
Prerequisites

Base attack bonus +2, Improved Trip, Str 15.
Benefit

Whenever you deal 10 or more points of damage to your opponent in melee, you make a trip attack as a free action against the same target.

Brova
2015-06-22, 09:25 PM
Q. 114 Does sadism (or any similar effect) count overkill damage?

Curmudgeon
2015-06-22, 09:40 PM
A 113

The damage you deal to your enemy is the amount that's delivered to them after any reduction from their DR and other protections.

deal
-verb (used with object)

12. to deliver; administer: to deal a blow.

FrancisBean
2015-06-23, 09:28 AM
A 113 counterpoint

A 113

The damage you deal to your enemy is the amount that's delivered to them after any reduction from their DR and other protections.

The dictionary definition seems to me to support the exact opposite interpretation. Consider it as a physical delivery: the postman delivers the mail to your door, but you only accept part of it. The entire amount was delivered. Some of it was refused (reduced). Is there anything more unambiguous, to make me more comfortable with one or the other interpretation?

Outside RAW, fluff-wise I think it makes sense that it'd be pre-DR damage. Sure, your non-silver weapon didn't hurt the werewolf, but the impact and the physical effect of tripping still applies. Balance-wise, Knock-Down is already so powerful that post-DR would be a good thing, to nerf it slightly.

Brova
2015-06-23, 03:16 PM
Q. 115 Can an Incantatrix apply metamagic effect to a "persistent spell effect that is already in place" which was created by a spell-like or supernatural ability?

KillianHawkeye
2015-06-24, 12:01 AM
Q 116

Regarding the Dragonscale Husk ACF from Dragon Magic (page 12):

This ACF seems poorly written or edited, but I don't know of any official errata for this book (please correct me if I am wrong).
a) Is there any clarification on what type of bonus this ability grants? I would guess that it ought to be a natural armor bonus, but it seems to operate more like normal armor that takes 8 hours to put on and 10 minutes to remove, and can't be enchanted or enhanced by spells....
b) It says the bonus "doesn't stack with any feat, racial trait, or other special ability that would grant you a bonus to Armor Class." Seriously, who wrote this? Not even Dodge (or racial dodge bonuses) or Combat Expertise? What about fighting defensively or taking the full defense action?
c) How, if at all, does it interact with actual natural armor that your character might possess? And does the answer vary depending on the source of said natural armor because of the weird wording of Dragonscale Husk's non-stacking clause?

Please tell me there was an erratum or clarification that I am just not able to find! Or is this ACF just not worth taking? It seems good until ya read the messed up stuff. :smallconfused:

Troacctid
2015-06-24, 12:44 AM
A 116

a. It's an untyped bonus.
b. No, no, no, yes, and yes. Total defense and fighting defensively are not special abilities, they're just basic actions you can take. Dodge and Combat Expertise are feats, however, and a racial dodge bonus is a racial ability.
c. It doesn't stack.
d. There is no errata.

KillianHawkeye
2015-06-24, 06:35 AM
Dammit. Come on, WotC, this is unacceptable! :smallannoyed:

heavyfuel
2015-06-24, 08:48 AM
A 116

Spells cast by a creature with a spellcasting class aren't Special Abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spells), only those cast by creatures without such class (such as some dragons and outsiders) are.

So any spell that grants AC cast by a creature with a spellcasting class would stack.

lonewolf1210
2015-06-24, 10:07 AM
Q117 Concerning early entry into Mystic theurge: I´ve seen on multiple places people say it is possible to qualify as Wizard 1/ Cleric 1, or similar. I understand how they get around the lvl2 spell thing(illumian, sanctum spell or similar), no need to discuss it here(especially if you disagree). What I dont understand is how they get around the 6 ranks in 2 skills by lvl2. Is there also a trick that makes this possible or is the earliest you can qualify Wizard 1 / Cleric 2?