PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next My Take On The Jedi Knight as a Monastic Tradition - (PEACH)

DracoKnight
2015-06-03, 06:35 PM
So I saw Human Paragon 3's Jedi Monastic Tradition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?369774-Monk-Subclass-Jedi), and I really like it :D

EDIT: I added Shield and Suggestion to the Jedis' spellcasting, as per Inchoroi's suggestion.

But, mechanically I don't particularly like the Way of the Four Elements, so I decided to homebrew my own vision for what the Jedi of 5e should be :)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B66RprYE6_HHTEtPMXFUMnlSU00/view?usp=sharing

Disclaimer: I mean no disrespect to the original poster, their version of the Jedi was incredible and *I* would play it, I just feel that WotC wasn't at their best when they made the Way of the Four Elements. Human Paragon 3 - Shout out to you for inspiring this :D

Inchoroi
2015-06-04, 10:43 AM
So I saw Human Paragon 3's Jedi Monastic Tradition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?369774-Monk-Subclass-Jedi), and I really like it :D
But, mechanically I don't particularly like the Way of the Four Elements, so I decided to homebrew my own vision for what the Jedi of 5e should be :)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B66RprYE6_HHa0FMQUdTUkRrdTg/view?usp=sharing

Disclaimer: I mean no disrespect to the original poster, their version of the Jedi was incredible and *I* would play it, I just feel that WotC wasn't at their best when they made the Way of the Four Elements. Human Paragon 3 - Shout out to you for inspiring this :D

I think you need to add Suggestion as a spell option, as well as shield, rather than shield of faith (or both, really; having both doesn't really break anything, since they all cost ki). Other than that, I prefer your version, simply because its cleaner--one thing I hate about elements monk is how annoyingly complicated it is (plus it's ki costs are too high, but that may just be me).

DracoKnight
2015-06-04, 01:33 PM
I think you need to add Suggestion as a spell option, as well as shield, rather than shield of faith (or both, really; having both doesn't really break anything, since they all cost ki). Other than that, I prefer your version, simply because its cleaner--one thing I hate about elements monk is how annoyingly complicated it is (plus it's ki costs are too high, but that may just be me).

I added them to the spells that the Jedi get. I gave them Shield on top of Shield of Faith, because Shield of Faith can be used on allies. I'm glad you like the subclass so far. I very strongly agree how annoying the Ki cost of and the messy nature of Way of the Four Elements. Like is said when I started this thread: WotC wasn't at their best when they made WotFE. But that's just my opinion. There might be people out there that really like it, but I do not. It is underpowered and high cost.

DracoKnight
2015-06-04, 03:21 PM
Is there anything else that can be changed/added?

Inchoroi
2015-06-04, 04:24 PM
Is there anything else that can be changed/added?

Without some real playtesting, it looks fine.

DracoKnight
2015-06-06, 12:31 PM
Without some real playtesting, it looks fine.

Okay, so an issue that arose in playtesting, and I don't know which way I wanna go. The way "An Elegant Weapon" is phrased, it purely uses the Martial Arts die, and it doesn't have it's own damage die. There was an instance where the Jedi passed his lightsaber (everyone had a magic item for the one shot, and the Jedi wanted a +3 lightsaber, so I said "what the heck? sure.") to another character, and I was unsure whether the lightsaber would still deal the Martial Arts die, or because this other character wasn't a monk, if the lightsaber would only deal 1 point of damage, like Unarmed strikes for those who aren't proficient in them.

Which way would everyone here rule it? Or do I give the lightsaber it's own damage die?

Inchoroi
2015-06-06, 01:12 PM
Okay, so an issue that arose in playtesting, and I don't know which way I wanna go. The way "An Elegant Weapon" is phrased, it purely uses the Martial Arts die, and it doesn't have it's own damage die. There was an instance where the Jedi passed his lightsaber (everyone had a magic item for the one shot, and the Jedi wanted a +3 lightsaber, so I said "what the heck? sure.") to another character, and I was unsure whether the lightsaber would still deal the Martial Arts die, or because this other character wasn't a monk, if the lightsaber would only deal 1 point of damage, like Unarmed strikes for those who aren't proficient in them.

Which way would everyone here rule it? Or do I give the lightsaber it's own damage die?

I'd rule it that others couldn't use the monk's lightsaber, as its tied directly to his ki.

DracoKnight
2015-06-06, 01:13 PM
I'd rule it that others couldn't use the monk's lightsaber, as its tied directly to his ki.

That is a good point, but after it's activated, it doesn't require Ki anymore, which is the only reason I allowed it to be passed around. But, I'll probably say that. I know that I don't want it to require attunement.

DracoKnight
2015-06-06, 01:55 PM
Everything else is balanced :)

DracoKnight
2015-06-12, 11:23 PM
Worked out the kinks in the Jedi Knight, here's my final draft :) I hope everyone enjoys :D
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B66RprYE6_HHY2dqTFNGZVVCNm8/view

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-06-14, 08:29 AM
I would say that by using monk you have already seamlessly incorporated the jedi's more innate abilities. I do think that maybe they should be able to cast Jump as a bonus action by spending ki, or just being able to while they have ki available.

Are you planning on making an alternative for those that have been labeled by the council as 'sith'? A path for those who use the power they have for there own reasons instead of those deemed to be the 'will of the living universe'.

For your lightsaber combat mechanics, i suggest that it is phrased that if you are wielding more than one lightsaber, you may use the lightsabers to deliver your flurry of blows. Also i would specifically state that the lightsaber is a monk weapon. And is the blade pure radiant energy, or can it be used to parry and block physical things like it is made of semi-solid energy? And why doesn't it do force damage?

The ability to amp up your spell slot with more ki was a nice touch, however, with your current setup the jedi monk is capable of unloading a 19th spell level magic missile. That's really cool and all, but definitely spits in the eye of balance. I recommend making it cost 2 more ki points per spell slot (to stay in check with casters) and have a spell slot level cap.

Side note: Lightsaber throw - because boomerang styled laser swords invoke an enjoyable combination of confusion and fear.

Have you seen this thread? http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?421085-Jedi-Class(May-the-Force-be-with-you) They did it as a full class, but there are some things that i feel can be utilized for your monk tradition.

DracoKnight
2015-06-14, 10:19 AM
I would say that by using monk you have already seamlessly incorporated the jedi's more innate abilities. I do think that maybe they should be able to cast Jump as a bonus action by spending ki, or just being able to while they have ki available.

Are you planning on making an alternative for those that have been labeled by the council as 'sith'? A path for those who use the power they have for there own reasons instead of those deemed to be the 'will of the living universe'.

For your lightsaber combat mechanics, i suggest that it is phrased that if you are wielding more than one lightsaber, you may use the lightsabers to deliver your flurry of blows. Also i would specifically state that the lightsaber is a monk weapon. And is the blade pure radiant energy, or can it be used to parry and block physical things like it is made of semi-solid energy? And why doesn't it do force damage?

The ability to amp up your spell slot with more ki was a nice touch, however, with your current setup the jedi monk is capable of unloading a 19th spell level magic missile. That's really cool and all, but definitely spits in the eye of balance. I recommend making it cost 2 more ki points per spell slot (to stay in check with casters) and have a spell slot level cap.

Side note: Lightsaber throw - because boomerang styled laser swords invoke an enjoyable combination of confusion and fear.

Have you seen this thread? http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?421085-Jedi-Class(May-the-Force-be-with-you) They did it as a full class, but there are some things that i feel can be utilized for your monk tradition.

I have thought about making the Sith, and I'm actually working on it :)

I will reword the lightsaber to let them flurry of blows with it, but I'm going to keep most of its wording as is, specifically the damage type, unless someone can give me a good reason for it to be Force damage. (The reason I picked Radiant is that its the embodiment of pure light (laser) energy.

The spells that the Jedi can cast cap at 9th level, just like everyone else's spells do, since that is the *highest* level of spell.

I did see that thread. I haven't done an in-depth analysis of it yet, but it seemed a little off in places. It needs tweaking to make it fit into the lore (and mechanics) better.

Thanks so much for your feedback here :) I came to value it on the Cyborn thread :)

DracoKnight
2015-06-14, 02:29 PM
Also i would specifically state that the lightsaber is a monk weapon. And is the blade pure radiant energy, or can it be used to parry and block physical things like it is made of semi-solid energy? And why doesn't it do force damage?

I think that lightsabers can block some physical things, but I would have to look into that, I know that they can block things that are shot at the Jedi (I would allow Deflect Missiles to utilize the lightsaber cinematically).

DracoKnight
2015-06-14, 02:36 PM
I edited the updated pdf into the OP.

DracoKnight
2015-06-17, 02:39 AM
Anything else that anyone would change before I release the final draft to my D&D group?

Requiemforlust
2015-06-19, 06:56 PM
Anything else that anyone would change before I release the final draft to my D&D group?

I think it's great :D
I shared it with Nerdarchy (A D&D YouTube channel) and they thought it was very well balanced. There's a player in my game who is now playing a Jedi, and they're having a lot of fun :)

DracoKnight
2015-06-19, 06:58 PM
I think it's great :D
I shared it with Nerdarchy (A D&D YouTube channel) and they thought it was very well balanced. There's a player in my game who is now playing a Jedi, and they're having a lot of fun :)

I'm glad you like it :)

Wow...Nerdarchy liked it? I'm flattered. I love their channel.

Requiemforlust
2015-06-19, 07:23 PM
I'm glad you like it :)

Wow...Nerdarchy liked it? I'm flattered. I love their channel.

Nerdarchist Dave said he'd allow it in his games if he was looking for that sort of flavor :)

DracoKnight
2015-06-19, 07:24 PM
Nerdarchist Dave said he'd allow it in his games if he was looking for that sort of flavor :)

...holy crap.

I don't mean to be rude, but... you didn't take credit for it did you?

Requiemforlust
2015-06-19, 07:26 PM
...holy crap.

I don't mean to be rude, but... you didn't take credit for it did you?

Of course not!
And you're not being rude, it's a legit concern :)

DracoKnight
2015-06-19, 07:41 PM
Of course not!
And you're not being rude, it's a legit concern :)

Thanks, that means a lot :)

GandalfTheWhite
2015-06-26, 01:17 PM
This seems really solid. I like the balance, and how unique it is. I mean, no one else gets Truesight, but it fits in with the flavor of the Jedi, as does the exhaustion that the feature comes with.

GandalfTheWhite
2015-06-26, 01:19 PM
And you didn't use that god*amned Elemental Monk as a template. I like that you made your own thing.