PDA

View Full Version : Question: Excel to Forum Tables

Gengy
2015-06-03, 08:11 PM
I'm fairly certain this is not a thing, but I don't ever recall hearing a direct answer to it. Asking doesn't hurt my pride any, so:

Is there anyway to easily transfer a table from Excel to the Forums?

Some way that the data is still highlight-able, and comes formatted properly for a post? {tr}{/tr} gets tiring to type after a while with large tables.

I know you can copy+paste in reverse from a completed post into Excel, but how about from Excel into a new post?

The Evil DM
2015-06-03, 09:20 PM
Tested something for easier tables. it Didnt work I have a few other ideas to test

Grey_Wolf_c
2015-06-03, 10:30 PM
I'm fairly certain this is not a thing, but I don't ever recall hearing a direct answer to it. Asking doesn't hurt my pride any, so:

Is there anyway to easily transfer a table from Excel to the Forums?

Some way that the data is still highlight-able, and comes formatted properly for a post? {tr}{/tr} gets tiring to type after a while with large tables.

I know you can copy+paste in reverse from a completed post into Excel, but how about from Excel into a new post?

Short answer is none that I know. Longer answer is yes, if you create excel formulas that add the tags you need (=concatenate("tr",A2,"/tr tr", B2, "/tr"), etc. It will take some time to set up, but once created, you should be able to reuse it.

GW

Jasdoif
2015-06-03, 10:47 PM
If you hit the button in light-blue in the upper-left corner of the post (with the tooltip of "Switch Editor to WYSIWYG Mode" with the cursor over it), you'll get into the advanced editing mode and you can copy/paste straight from Excel....

Or
This

Table I just copy/pasted

Straight From
OpenOffice
Calc.

And then hit it again to get back into source mode, and you'll have the table/tr/td tags right there. The WYSIWYG editor leaves something to be desired, especially when it comes to formatting, but it handles basic table structure adequately.

Gengy
2015-06-03, 10:51 PM
Testing
Testing

A

B

C

D

E

If you hit the button in light-blue in the upper-left corner of the post (with the tooltip of "Switch Editor to WYSIWYG Mode" with the cursor over it), you'll get into the advanced editing mode and you can copy/paste straight from Excel....

Or
This

Table I just copy/pasted

Straight From
OpenOffice
Calc.

And then hit it again to get back into source mode, and you'll have the table/tr/td tags right there. The WYSIWYG editor leaves something to be desired, especially when it comes to formatting, but it handles basic table structure adequately.

You sir, are an amazing person. Don't let anyone tell you different.

The Evil DM
2015-06-04, 12:15 AM
I was working on extracting the HTML directly out of the XML for the excel sheet, it is doable but not as simple.

I was distracted with family and dinner before completing.