PDA

View Full Version : Incarnum in the Playground?

Maerok
2007-04-23, 05:29 PM
I really like Incarnum but I don't think the book did it enough justice across the board. A lot of it is locked into the whole backstory of Incarnum, such as the meldshaper/cleric prestige class which was cool in concept but had some iffy class features in my opinion. Nothing with Psionics other than a few feats.

But I do like the whole concept of having to ration your essentia between Incarnum feats, class abilities, and the soulmelds, and that gives each character a great deal of difference between one another. Sure it might seem underpowered, but if you take the time to look for some combos, there's quite a bit of damage to be done to your enemies by combining all those various bonuses into one cohesive hurting machine. (My favorite soulmeld is the Mauling Gauntlets.)

So I've been looking over some other material from other people on the forum, like Fax's Sapphire Eremite (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38156), and I thought it would be cool to rally up some support for the Magic of Incarnum and pick up where WotC left off. I've already made some attempts at adding/modding some existing content to make it more compatible (Incarnum Campaign (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36679)), and I'll get to adding more stuff here, such as feats, classes, soulmelds, etc..
Classes
Incarnum Fighter Variant
As Fighter but...
Skills: Add Concentration and Spellcraft.
Essentia: 1 + 1/three levels
Chakra Binds: 1/five levels
-5: Crown, Hands
-10: Feet, Arms
-15: Brow, Shoulders
-20: Shoulders, Throat, Waist
Soulmeld List: As Soulborn
Replace Fighter feats with Incarnum feats

Umbral Disciple Change
Sept Knowledge becomes...
Soulbound Spy: The Umbral Disciple receives a bonus to Gather Information checks equal to the about of essentia he invests in this ability. Once invested, essentia cannot be removed from this feat for 6 hours.

Soulbow

http://www.2dvalley.com/gallery/albums/Bartosz-Danielak/archer.sized.jpg

Prerequisites:
-Alignment: Any neutral.
-Base Attack Bonus: +5
-Capable of shaping two or more soulmelds.

HD: d10
Skill Points: 2+Int modifier
Skills: Climb, Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Swim

{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1
|
+2
|
+0
|
+0
|Ancestor's Guidance; Find the Way

2nd|
+2
|
+3
|
+0
|
+0
|Soul Fletching

3rd|
+3
|
+3
|
+1
|
+1
|Azure Step; Bind Bow

4th|
+4
|
+4
|
+1
|
+1
|Soul Arrow Barrage

5th|
+5
|
+4
|
+1
|
+1
|Quiver of Incarnum[/table]
Class Features:
Meldshaping: For the purposes of gaining new soulmelds, increasing essentia, and acquiring new chakra binds, the Soulbow levels stack with her last soulmelding class, if any. Otherwise, her meldshaping advances as an Incarnum Fighter.

Ancestor's Guidance: The Soulbow receives a +1 insight bonus to her Spot and Listen checks for every soulmeld she has shaped.

Find the Way: For every point of essentia invested in this ability, the Soulbow's attacks ignore 10% of the target's concealment. Targets without a clear line of fire are not affected (behind a wall, of course).

Soulfletching: For every point of essentia invested in this ability, the Soulbow's ranged weapon receives a 10 foot bonus to its range, up to a maximum of its original range. Any arrows fired with this effect have a 10% chance per essentia point to avoid effects that would reduce the effectiveness of ranged weapons, such as arrow-catching shields, the deflect arrow feat chain, or spells like entropic shield.

Bind Bow: If the Soulbow binds a bow to one of her chakra binds, she receives the benefit of Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, and Improved Critical.

Azure Step: Each round, the Soulbow may make a 5 foot step per essentia point invested in this ability before making a full-attack action.

Soul Arrow Barrage: By investing in this ability, the penalties of Rapid Shot and Manyshot are reduced by the amount of essentia invested. The penalty can be reduced to a minimum of 0.

Quiver of Incarnum: A Soulbow can form arrows of pure incarnum and fire them with devastating effects. Once per day, the Soulbow may invest up to five essentia points in this ability for 24 hours. One the next full-attack action she takes, she fires each arrow with an enhancement bonus equal to the points invested. None of her own arrows are expended, as the arrows are made from the essentia used in this ability.

Feats
Rapid Binding [Incarnum]
You've focused your ability to rebind soulmelds to the point that you may put forth a little extra effort to bind one to a chakra.
Prerequisite: Rapid Meldshaping 2/day or more
Benefit: By expending two uses of Rapid Meldshaping, you may bind that soulmeld to a chakra. If you choose an already occupied chakra, that soulmeld is unbound but still shaped. This is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity. You are still limited to your maximum number of chakra binds at one time.

Voice of Incarnum [Bardic]
Your voice is capable of inciting the fires of incarnum that burn in the souls of your allies.
Prerequisite: Inspire Courage +2, capable of shaping a soulmeld
Benefit: Instead of gaining the normal bonuses due to your Inspire Courage effect, your allies who have soulmelds shaped may gain the listed bonus as an equal number of essentia points for as long as you continue the effect.

Undead Meldshaper [Incarnum] (Improved Version)
Even though you are undead, you still wield the souls of other beings in order to use incarnum.
Prerequisite: Wisdom 13, undead type
Benefit: You use your Wisdom score instead of your Constitution score for soulmelds. You may use your Wisdom score to qualify for Incarnum feats, rather than Constitution.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-23, 05:48 PM
See also my Penumbracarnate (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34260). I'll also be making Totemist soulmelds for the magical beasts presented in the MitP project, though you're welcome to help me with those if you like.

Maerok
2007-04-23, 05:51 PM
Sure. I'll try my hand at those. :smallbiggrin:

Akennedy
2007-04-24, 02:27 PM
Personally, I think a Binder (from tome of magic) and an incarnum class would be interesting... especially if you could make a prestige class binding them together (hehe, no pun intended... I'm a nerd :P)

Maerok
2007-04-24, 07:55 PM
I never got the Tome of Magic. :smallfrown: But I've definitely been interested in it.

Danu
2007-04-25, 08:57 PM
See also my Penumbracarnate (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34260). I'll also be making Totemist soulmelds for the magical beasts presented in the MitP project, though you're welcome to help me with those if you like.

Oooh, I need to post some of my magical beasts. Looking at what I've submitted, I'm rather surprised with myself. I have a lot of magical beasts in the wings, and I'd love to see totemist soulmelds for them. ^_^

Maerok
2007-04-25, 09:43 PM
Now why is it just magical beasts? Perhaps there is the possibility of an undead/dragon/aberration/outsider-themed meldshaper class? Actually, I'll look into the dragon one; there are enough dragons for a good-sized dragon soulmeld list. Outsiders don't really have traditional souls and undead don't have them to begin with but I think a reason for a Totemist variant themed on either could work out somehow.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-04-25, 10:14 PM
Now why is it just magical beasts? Perhaps there is the possibility of an undead/dragon/aberration-themed meldshaper class? Actually, I'll look into the undead one. There are enough dragons for a good-sized dragon soulmeld list too.

MoI actually did mention that this would be very possible by renaming or tweaking the existing soulmelds.
Displacer Cloak easily becomes Kyton Mantle; Girallion Arms becomes Marilith's Claws; Threefold Mask becomes Choker's Guise; Winter Mask becomes Pendant of the White Dragon.

Or:
Flaying Mask
Class: Totemist
Chakra Binds: Throat (Totem)
Channeling the dreaded energies of the far realms, you call the power of the Illithids to your service.
You gain a +2 bonus on Will Saves against Charm or Compulsion effects.
Essentia: You gain an additional +1 bonus on Will Saves against Charm or Compulsion effects for each point of Essentia you invest in this soulmeld.
Throat Bind: You gain four flaying tentacles as primary natural attacks. Each deals 1d4 damage plus your STR modifier. Each time you hit with one of these tentacles you may immediately attempt to attach it to your opponent's head as a free action with a successful grapple check. If you begin the turn with at least one tentacle attached to an opponent, you can attach the others with a single grapple check. At the end of your turn, if you have all four tentacles attach, you may immediately extract your opponent's brain, killing him immediately if he fails his Fortitude save. Enemies without brains, or who do not depend on them to live, are not affected by this ability. You gain an additional +1 to hit and damage for each point of essentia invested in this soulmeld.
Totem Bind: You gain the ability to make terrifying Mind Blasts. As a standard action, you may force each opponent within a 15-foot cone to make a Fortitude save or be stunned for 1 round. Regardless of the outcome of this saving throw, no opponent may be affected by this Blast more than once per day.

Maerok
2007-04-26, 09:59 PM
Pretty cool.

How's the Soulbow looking? I think the abilities could be rearranged a little bit, but I think its to par (perhaps a bit underpowered?).